De Gea Contract Situation

Do you think David De Gea will sign a new contract at Man Utd this season?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but he'll still leave by the end of the season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
the key is about money filtering down to the smaller clubs.

It would be very unfair for clubs from lower divisions who train and invest so much in players to have the player just walk out on them.

Do we really want the game to be dominated so much by super -rich clubs? it is bad enough as it is.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
the key is about money filtering down to the smaller clubs.

It would be very unfair for clubs from lower divisions who train and invest so much in players to have the player just walk out on them.

Do we really want the game to be dominated so much by super -rich clubs? it is bad enough as it is.
Its true. No transfer fees would basically mean an enormous increase in player wages, which is already ridiculous. Add the fact that small clubs would have effectively zero incentives to try to develop good players (in fact no club would, unless convinced that they can secure long term loyalty from young players)... It's a recipe for disaster (so Blatter probably loves the idea).

adamwest

Obviously it would be great if he stayed, settled, very likeable fella, but I don't believe it is as critical as people are making out, he has been overworked the past couple of seasons due to deficiencies in the team. If he goes and we sign the right keeper and adequate defensive and defensive midfield players, imo the likes of cech and begovic are top keepers proven in the PL who offer more domination in the box, then we will be ok. What you really cannot replace is his kicking off either foot, but, I would like to think next season one of our primary forms of attack is not relying on accurate 80 yard passes from De Gea to Fellaini.
Good post mate. As gutted as you and I will be to see Dave leave this post brings reality to the fore. We shouldn't have to rely on his sound distribution from either foot every game.. however good it is to watch... feck i'll miss him! No but seriously we should be able to compensate.

XdanielredX

Just read this from a 2012 interview :(

David de Gea is determined to become a Manchester United legend like Peter Schmeichel after finally starting to live up to his billing.

De Gea has had his critics since arriving at Old Trafford last summer and the 21-year-old lost his place to Anders Lindegaard.

De Gea said: 'Peter Schmeichel was legendary and a role model for any keeper.

'I have every intention of spending many years at Manchester United.

'I want to go on to become a great United keeper and to earn and deserve respect. I want to help United make history.'

Schmeichel ruled the penalty box during his time with the Red Devils and De Gea's doubters have pointed out he does not have the same physical presence

:(

Jaxa

Selling him, swapping him, resigning him. These all require the player to agree. We all think he's the nice guy who isn't all about the cheque. But what if his game plan is just to run down his contract and pick up a a massive signing on fee? That's what I'd do. It's not like we'd put him in the reserves as punishment - he's too good for that.
De Gea has hardly acted like a bad apple in all of this, I can't blame him for thinking about the Idea of going back to Madrid but I think United, David and Mendes all want this to be resolved amicably but there's no way on earth were going to let him run out his contract while he is still our #1 all season and then off he trots to madrid.

We wont sell to Madrid for the fees mentioned, 20m ? They can have his autograph for that, so unless they offer us a player exchange or more money he will remain here but he will be heavily encouraged to sign a new deal and continue as our #1 which will help his development or else he will have to settle for watching from the bench while we promote a new #1

(obviously as I write this I realise I sounds like i fecking run the club, its all my own opinion on how I think the situation will run but I just hope both parties us and david get a fair deal out of it )

Loublaze

ATLien

David de Gea is determined to become a Manchester United legend like Peter Schmeichel after finally starting to live up to his billing.

De Gea has had his critics since arriving at Old Trafford last summer and the 21-year-old lost his place to Anders Lindegaard.

'I want to go on to become a great United keeper and to earn and deserve respect. I want to help United make history.'

Schmeichel ruled the penalty box during his time with the Red Devils and De Gea's doubters have pointed out he does not have the same physical presence

He clearly just said this for good PR. All these new signings speak about our club legends and I doubt they really watched them like that. I think only Evra came off as genuine when talking about the clubs legends and history. He really did his homework.

holyland red

"Holier-than-thou fundamentalist"

It's really odd that people take players' PR stunts at face value. This is no different to Liverpool players babbling the 5 times and YAWN mantras to have their fans wet their pants.

XdanielredX

He clearly just said this for good PR. All these new signings speak about our club legends and I doubt they really watched them like that. I think only Evra came off as genuine when talking about the clubs legends and history. He really did his homework.
It's really odd that people take players' PR stunts at face value. This is no different to Liverpool players babbling the 5 times and YAWN mantras to have their fans wet their pants.
It's not so much that I believed it word for word, I understand these are all PR exercises.

Just reading the quotes makes me sad

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
"You will have to wait and see how these talks develop," Van Gaal said.

"We have to wait and see if De Gea is leaving.

"I believe that De Gea may still stay at Manchester United."

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
"You will have to wait and see how these talks develop," Van Gaal said.

"We have to wait and see if De Gea is leaving.

"I believe that De Gea may still stay at Manchester United."
So media outlets completely twist what was said. :rolleyes:

El-Manos

According to Goal.com

The Red Devils, though, are still trying to persuade the 24-year-old to sign a bumper new contract and Van Gaal remains upbeat about the chances of retaining the shot-stopper.

"First we have to see if David de Gea is leaving, then we shall talk about other things - but I still believe David will stay," said the veteran Dutch boss to reporters on Friday ahead of United's final game of the season.

"And I want to play him against Hull because I want to play my strongest team and I think my strongest team must include David."

On the subject of players' futures, he added: "You know that I shall talk with [the players] maybe tomorrow, we'll have a farewell drink.

"After the match, I have the Monday to talk, I have spoken to some players this week. You have to wait and see how these talks develop in terms of players staying or going."

He sounds more confident about the situation compared to recent weeks, perhaps a change of heart?

the hea

If he decides to stay big credit has to go out towards our matchgoing fans, the way they cheered him on in the game last week and at the award cermony midweek decpite the rumors about him could be a factor that convinces him to stay. You won't see that kind of support at many clubs in todays football just look at the reception Sterling got at their award cermony.

Bojan11

If he decides to stay big credit has to go out towards our matchgoing fans, the way they cheered him on in the game last week and at the award cermony midweek decpite the rumors about him could be a factor that convinces him to stay. You won't see that kind of support at many clubs in todays football just look at the reception Sterling got at their award cermony.
Both totally different to be fair.

De Gea has proven this season he deserves a big contract. Sterling hasn't done a lot and trying to hold his club to ransom. He and his agent have also acted like dicks over it too.

ScarleyUtd

De Gea has proven this season he deserves a big contract. Sterling hasn't done a lot and trying to hold his club to ransom. He and his agent have also acted like dicks over it too.
Rooney was also swayed by the fans the first game of the season against Chelsea the season before last though. Same kind of situation. I was there and you could see by his body language when he first came out that he wasn't sure what would happen. Once he got the support you could see it motivate him and Carrick (I think) had a word is his ear, almost certainly along the lines of: right, they're with you, so let's do this.

Saying all that, Utd fans aren't daft. The best way to keep valued players with us is to support them – even when they try our patience.

JUPITER

Sterling really doesn't want a big contract, he and his agent have both made that plainly clear on numerous occasions, he just wants to leave Liverpool.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Screw it, ive gone back to Yes (making it my 4th switch). I cant help but feel that with LVGs comments, the situation at Real (and other clubs) and the possibility that we simply refuse to sell - that Dave will give us another year. Whether that means a new contract or leaving on a free in 2016 I do not know.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Screw it, ive gone back to Yes (making it my 4th switch). I cant help but feel that with LVGs comments, the situation at Real (and other clubs) and the possibility that we simply refuse to sell - that Dave will give us another year. Whether that means a new contract or leaving on a free in 2016 I do not know.
Don't look in the twitter thread

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
It's crazy how, when Real Madrid say Bale isn't leaving, that's it done and dusted, end of discussion. When we say someone isn't leaving, we're still thinking "he's going to Madrid, ffs." :lol:

dsch

It's crazy how, when Real Madrid say Bale isn't leaving, that's it done and dusted, end of discussion. When we say someone isn't leaving, we're still thinking "he's going to Madrid, ffs." :lol:
Recent history would seem to validate that general attitude.

saivet

We haven't said he isn't leaving..

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
To me, this is only good news if De Gea actually wants to stay rather than us just forcing him to stay. Nothing worse than having a player in our ranks who isn't 100% in it.

Sign the contract De Goat.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Wasn't it Real that allegedly wanted to get rid of Bale? Makes sense that the reports quiet down when they deny it then, and it's a completely different scenario compared to DDG.

Ricardo de la Vega

Can we all send him a Caf card saying "please don't go we love you very muchxxxxx" or something? Might help swing the balance a teeny bit??

dsch

It sort of looks a bit more like "As far as I'm concerned, he is staying, because he hasn't told me he's leaving," than, "I have information/assurances that he will stay."

Status
Not open for further replies.