De Gea Contract Situation

Do you think David De Gea will sign a new contract at Man Utd this season?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but he'll still leave by the end of the season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GimmeAKitKat

Four Brown Fingers
Why is everyone acting like something has changed, everything has been the same for months. A decision isn't made. It was never going to be decided before the end of the season, and probably wont be decided for another month or more either, or until something happens that we're not privy to, like a defence being signed or summet.

Traub

You know what's the worst part? We're all mainly convinced that any Spanish/South American player would much rather play for RM/Barca than us. However, with DDG, it genuinely seems that RM are a means to live in Madrid as opposed to him actually wanting to play for them. For example, if we were based in Madrid, I doubt he would really want to move to them.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
You know what's the worst part? We're all mainly convinced that any Spanish/South American player would much rather play for RM/Barca than us. However, with DDG, it genuinely seems that RM are a means to live in Madrid as opposed to him actually wanting to play for them. For example, if we were based in Madrid, I doubt he would really want to move to them.
This is what I think aswell. He clearly doesn't hate it here, he's first choice, loved by the fans and his teammates and can become the best paid goalkeeper. The problem lies with Edurne and his family back in Spain. Moving to RM means he gets to spend more time with his family, but at the same time he will piss off the Atletico fans and (some, not me) Manchester United fans. I'm not sure if RM are willing to match the wages we offered him either, or if he really wants to play for them on footballing reasons.

I will respect his decision either way, if he wants to spend more time with his family then I can't blame him at all. If he decides to stay I'll be delighted ofcourse. I think it's a given that he ultimately wants to move back to Spain though, which is understandable given the circumstances. Must be difficult for him to choose.

Scholesgoals

I sort of echo keanos sentiments on this. A footballers career is very short, and when you are at the top of your game like dave is, making a move for anything other than footballing reasons is bloody daft. If his missus is a problem then he hasnt picked well. I know if my missus asked me to compromise my career as the best goalie in the world there would only be one answer. It doesnt last forever. Granted your family might miss you but how many of us live near our family?!

I think a footballer of top quality who cites these reasons needs to have a word with themselves.

If on the other hand he thinks he will improve as a player at madrid, then fair play. I dont think that is the case personally however.

not quite united, kids, wife... but this is an opportunity offered to very few people. You'd have to understand

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I sort of echo keanos sentiments on this. A footballers career is very short, and when you are at the top of your game like dave is, making a move for anything other than footballing reasons is bloody daft. If his missus is a problem then he hasnt picked well. I know if my missus asked me to compromise my career as the best goalie in the world there would only be one answer. It doesnt last forever. Granted your family might miss you but how many of us live near our family?!

I think a footballer of top quality who cites these reasons needs to have a word with themselves.

If on the other hand he thinks he will improve as a player at madrid, then fair play. I dont think that is the case personally however.

not quite united, kids, wife... but this is an opportunity offered to very few people. You'd have to understand
Good post man!

If Dave's gettin squeezed by his girlfriend (not his wife yet or maybe never) to make the move - more than anything / anyone (she hates Manchester & has been public about it too), then that's bad craic. Who's to say his relationship with her will last anyway?!

If Dave does move to Real, it will be good for her career in Spain (new darling couple of Madrid / Spain, has its plus's.. ala Becks & Posh). So that's a gotta be part of the reason for her to pressure him into leaving.

I cant see Daves family being too happy for him to play for Real either. Surely his family support Atletico? Given that Dave's grew up at the club & they'd obviously support him, so i dont think they've been pressuring him that much, or at all tbh.. Who know's what the hells goin on..

Its like Eastenders with this thread ffs :lol:

Scholesgoals

Good post man!

If Dave's gettin squeezed by his girlfriend (not his wife yet or maybe never) to make the move - more than anything / anyone (she hates Manchester & has been public about it too), then that's bad craic. Who's to say his relationship with her will last anyway?!

If Dave does move to Real, it will be good for her career in Spain (new darling couple of Madrid / Spain, has its plus's.. ala Becks & Posh). So that's a gotta be part of the reason for her to pressure him into leaving.

I cant see Daves family being too happy for him to play for Real either. Surely his family support Atletico? Given that Dave's grew up at the club & they'd obviously support him, so i dont think they've been pressuring him that much, or at all tbh.. Who know's what the hells goin on..

Its like Eastenders with this thread ffs :lol:
Without going all grandpa about it.. i think if these are the reasons then it says a lot about the modern footballer. Its easy to fall into the typecast of rich kids being out of touch but i wouldnt be surprised if a senior member ie goggs would have had a word with him.

roykeane19

Without going all grandpa about it.. i think if these are the reasons then it says a lot about the modern footballer. Its easy to fall into the typecast of rich kids being out of touch but i wouldnt be surprised if a senior member ie goggs would have had a word with him.
I heard Goggs can be very persuasive when he wants to be

Empire

Nice one Louie - thanks for guessing mate. All he needs to say next is, there's a chance Ronnie will come back to United & bring Bale with him, to totally wreck our heads :lol:
To be fair if he is asked about Ronaldo he will say "I believe the best players in the world will be interested by a big club like Manchester United and we are interested in the best players but it is up to the player, you will have to wait and see what happens in the transfer window."

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Come on Woody, buy us a stadium in Madrid....

XdanielredX

It shows de Gea is still deciding and hasn't decided yet which is good, let's do de Gea chants all day against Hull!

I hope he signs and then Real Madrid actually follow through on their now or never ultimatum!

Ricardo de la Vega

I kind of feel that way too - people do lots of things for money - for their job. They go to some horrible places in the world, so he's not hard up being a millionaire in Manchester is he. The trick is to treat it as what it is - an experience. Nobody is saying he has to live in Manchester until he's 80 - living in a bedsit somewhere are they? When he retires as a multi-millionaire he'll be a young man with the rest of his life in front of him and he can go live/party whatever in any city on earth and his girlfriend can too. He could think about how living abroad at such a young age and learning a new language, making new friends and getting paid huge money to do it is actually better than living at home....

But then you cant put yourself in someone else's shoes. The flip side to the argument is - why should he? He can live wherever he wants and play football for basically any team on the planet (except for Bayern Munich at the moment - and to be honest if he wanted to go and sit on the bench there and earn a bit less than he could starting elsewhere (which of course he would never want to do obviously) then he could go there as well) so why not go home? Madrid is actually a great city and a great place to live as a young person. Its restaurants/bar scene/galleries and weather are all great. Sure it has problems - but Manchester has shitty weather so there is that.

As a fan the hardest thing is the uncertainty. But I'd love for him to stick two fingers up at Madrid. Perhaps show off a mixed Atleti/United tattoo he's just got or something. That'd be great....

Kakeru

Now, I understand why Fergie was never a fan of seeing his players dating pop stars regardless of the country they come from. Pop stars can get famous for 5 minutes and then turn into very selfish divas when the reality is that they are just plain shite. Meanwhile, DDG needs to ask himself the question: is he ready for a life where everything would be scrutinized, photographed, (over)analyzed, and more? With Beckham, we knew that was something that did not trouble him at all. However, we cannot say for sure the same about DDG.

Speaking of Dave's parents, it was only months ago that they were interviewed and said that they come very often to Manchester to see their son play (I think it was either every week or every 2 weeks. So my guess is that getting in touch with the family is nowhere near an issue to him compared to many other players who live further apart from their parents and relatives. The parents also said that Dave was loving the calm and relaxed lifestyle in England, which is (according to them) perfect for him to keep his focus on his game and on the other simple things.

Cmz'

Have to say I agree with the posts above, call me naive but I still think in the end he'll stay, from everything we've heard (and of course that could all be horseshit fed by his agent to make him look better) it seems that he's undecided and ultimately it boils down to staying at United due to the love of the club and the fans or moving to Madrid for his family, friends and girlfriend, I can't remember seeing many (if any) reports yet that see him leaving due to actually wanting to play for Madrid (compared to Ronaldo who seemed desperate to go there)it seems that he isn't determined to move there because he desperately wants to go, rather that it's the club who can afford him in Madrid and give him the chance he wants to return home.

he's going to be asking questions about himself improving as a player, trophies won etc. as far as trophies go, do Madrid have a better chance of winning trophies than we do? I'm sure most would say yes but with regards to the league I still feel it would be easier for us to win the league against Chelsea than it would be for Madrid to win La Liga against Barca (due to the quality of the champions) and the CL can boild down to small factors such as the form team and who's players are fit at the time, whilst I doubt Copa's or FA Cups would be enough to keep the top players happy. Then you're looking at improvement as a player, would he improve as a player at Madrid? I'm sure he would but likewise he'd do the same here, by all accounts we have a great goalkeeping coach whopeople speak highly of and he's improved massively since he's joined, he's probably no more likely to improve there then he would here,then with regards to money I doubt that influences him because if it did he'd surely have already signed here.

Obviously he'll have his reasons and whilst I haven't gone into the positives of Madrid because they're obvious (nicer city, returning home, fantastic club etc.) I still feel like he's only moving to Madrid because of personal reasons, which is why it seems that he's so torn between leaving and staying because lets face it and for all we know he could already see it that way but if he desperately wants to move to Madrid to play for them then he's already gone. I just hope that he stays be it for another season and leave on a free or sign a new deal and we get money for him next summer or the season after that.

Loublaze

ATLien
I do, yes.
So do I. There's an Atlanta Manchester united group on FB that watches games at the new Fados Irish pub location in midtown (other one is in Buckhead but im sure you know). I used to watch games at tge Brewhouse cafe in lil 5. Ever catch a game at a bar?

MkPaul

learnt from the best
Things are looking slightly more positive on the De Gea front which is nice.

I was thinking the other day though, if we do end up selling him to Madrid, surely we'd have to push hard at getting a Madrid player in return?? Even if we need to add a bit of $$$:

Players who could improve our starting 11 massively and in key areas:

Carvajal
Varane
Benzema

Just because:

Ronaldo
Bale

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Knowing our track record though we'd get a tuppence towards one of those.

ZDwyr

Things are looking slightly more positive on the De Gea front which is nice.

I was thinking the other day though, if we do end up selling him to Madrid, surely we'd have to push hard at getting a Madrid player in return?? Even if we need to add a bit of $$$:

Players who could improve our starting 11 massively and in key areas:

Carvajal
Varane
Benzema

Just because:

Ronaldo
Bale
Not sure about that one. Has talent definitely but I don't think he would be a huge immediate improvement. Either way, I doubt that Madrid would include him as part of a deal. Swap deals are very rare also.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
According to Goal.com

The Red Devils, though, are still trying to persuade the 24-year-old to sign a bumper new contract and Van Gaal remains upbeat about the chances of retaining the shot-stopper.

"First we have to see if David de Gea is leaving, then we shall talk about other things - but I still believe David will stay," said the veteran Dutch boss to reporters on Friday ahead of United's final game of the season.

"And I want to play him against Hull because I want to play my strongest team and I think my strongest team must include David."

On the subject of players' futures, he added: "You know that I shall talk with [the players] maybe tomorrow, we'll have a farewell drink.

"After the match, I have the Monday to talk, I have spoken to some players this week. You have to wait and see how these talks develop in terms of players staying or going."

He sounds more confident about the situation compared to recent weeks, perhaps a change of heart?
Interesting. We could have a few outgoing this season it seems.

saivet

Season over now. How long do we think we'll know whether he's leaving or not, for definite? Next week? I just want this over and done with to be honest.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
LVG has said he needs to say something soon. Sounds like we won't be waiting forever for his answer. Frankly he wants to go and we're fine with that. The sticking point for the club is getting properly compensated - that's what I think is causing the hold up. De Gea should have just signed the flippin contract when they first offered it to him. It's put Madrid at a massive advantage which is well disappointing.

Fully Fledged

Call me a pessimist but I'm preparing myself for the worst when it comes to David's contract saga. I was one of the last to move from the staying to going vote but when I did all hope of a good outcome went with it.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Call me a pessimist but I'm preparing myself for the worst when it comes to David's contract saga. I was one of the last to move from the staying to going vote but when I did all hope of a good outcome went with it.
I think he's off too, best case scenario he extends for a couple of years and leaves next season but the move to Madrid will happen sooner or later IMO.

Moriarty

I think he's off too, best case scenario he extends for a couple of years and leaves next season but the move to Madrid will happen sooner or later IMO.
Could be right there. Casillas still has a season or two left in him and he won't go quietly into the night.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
All I care about now is that United get a good deal from Madrid for De Gea. As for De Gea himself, if he wants to put himself in that circus at Madrid, that's his problem, won't feel sorry for him if it goes tits up. Too bad. Angry with him for putting us in this position. Should have made his decision a while back, signed the contract so we get a good fee, and allowed us enough time to try and replace him.

Status
Not open for further replies.