De Gea Contract Situation

Do you think David De Gea will sign a new contract at Man Utd this season?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but he'll still leave by the end of the season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Both the saves we're close to him, any keeper in the world worth his salt would have saved those shots. I was impressed he held onto the ball from the Eriksen shot though.

DDG was important to us no doubt, but I expect us to be much more defensively solid this season and the GK won't need to be anywhere near as worldie as DDG was last season.
It would be interesting to see how many united fans thought he'd make those saves though. Whether you consider them difficult or not they are still vital saves.

I do agree though that the defense should be better this season and provided more protection by the midfield. But then I kind of think based on that DDG would be even more important because his saves instead of keeping us in games or getting a good draw will actually get us more wins.

Dreaded

Try telling that to Adidas.

Goalkeepers shirt sales might not be a massive source of revenue, but generally revenue from shirt sales is big. Not sure if true but I read reports some players salaries and fees are easily covered by just their shirt sales. Hence wanting rights to when negotiating deals.
If makes a difference to Adidas not to us.

VanGaalEra

If you have seen him for Argentina, then you should also know that he isn't a very good keeper.
We were talking about his passing skills and the ball at his feet?

He was active because we have this tendency to sit on leads and invite pressure on to us in the latter stages of games. We don't create enough chances and score enough goals to put games away.
Again he wasn't active, other then the ball at his feet which is a feature of the type of game we're trying to play, and you're talking about something else, again.

I rather he hoofs it then keep 'misplacing' these passes on to the opposition attackers feet
Not once did he misplace a pass to the opposition attackers feet.

@Insanity

VanGaalEra

It would be interesting to see how many united fans thought he'd make those saves though. Whether you consider them difficult or not they are still vital saves.

I do agree though that the defense should be better this season and provided more protection by the midfield. But then I kind of think based on that DDG would be even more important because his saves instead of keeping us in games or getting a good draw will actually get us more wins.
They most definitely were vital, don't get me wrong, but we'd have been very disappointed (borderline pissed off :lol:) if they went in.

I agree, in an ideal world we'll have DDG in beast mode for the season and if he stays I expect that from him tbh.

Varun

Staff
I would cut him whatever slack you want me to cut him, but the bolded part is not a ringing endorsement for the guy to be our starting GK for next season, as was suggested by the poster I was arguing with.

There is a reason he was a second or third choice at his previous clubs.

Our play? What is that?

And yes, I would rather have a solid keeper, who can command his box and make saves rather than someone who is 'good with the ball'.
The reason why he was 2nd choice is quite well documented.

This discussion is quite pointless if you don't see what our play is and why we need our GK to pass the ball rather than hoofing it. What posters would rather prefer is quite pointless till we have van Gaal at the helm who's style requires a keeper good with the ball at his feet.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
We were talking about his passing skills and the ball at his feet?
Yes, mate, but we are also talking about a keeper good enough to start for us. He also didn't look very comfortable with the ball at this feet last game. Nor do I remember him making some extraordinary pass that started a great attack from us.

Again he wasn't active, other then the ball at his feet which is a feature of the type of game we're trying to play, and you're talking about something else, again.
He was active and called into play. We were under the cosh in the last 10-15 mintues of the games, like we used to put team under pressure when Fergie was our manager.

Not once did he misplace a pass to the opposition attackers feet.
I was wrong then.

What led to the Erikson chance? I may have confused that as a wrong pass from the keeper. My bad.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He was a second choice.

Are you suggesting that he is good enough to start for Manchester United?
He signed to be a first choice, but Ranieri gave a chance to Subasic because he just had a great season, Subasic took the opportunity and played at a very high level. Romero found himself in an impossible situation, with a performing goalkeeper liked by the fans.

Revan

Assumptionman
Try telling that to Adidas.

Goalkeepers shirt sales might not be a massive source of revenue, but generally revenue from shirt sales is big. Not sure if true but I read reports some players salaries and fees are easily covered by just their shirt sales. Hence wanting rights to when negotiating deals.
Perez has brainwashed you :p

In general clubs tend to sell around the same amount of shirts each year. What it changes, is the name in the end of the shirt. For example last year when we signed Di Maria, United sold a lot of Di Maria's shirts, but the total number of shirts didn't increase that much (i.e the number of other popular shirts decreased). Same thing happens almost always.

In keeper's case, generally it isn't a very popular shirt. De Gea sold a lot of shirts last year but that is more because he was our best player. Signing Cillessen or Leno doesn't mean that they suddenly would start selling a lot of shirts.

nevillestache

He was on loan at Monaco and still second choice.

Anyway, him being a second choice is not the only reason I am scared of the idea of him starting for us regularly. I have seen him at two international championships now, and he hasn't looked very good at either.
TBH I'm in no position to judge him as I haven't seen enough.

However, I'm worried that we're heading back to the same situation we had between Schmeichel and Edwin - trying out goalkeepers and hoping they'll fit in and perform. The goalkeeper position isn't something you can afford to mess around with and not having a solid first choice at this stage is disappointing.

I'd hope that someone with van Gaal's experience, especially with Hoek on board would be able to see that. If it's the case of "we'll see how Romero gets on" then it's concerning.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
The reason why he was 2nd choice is quite well documented.

This discussion is quite pointless if you don't see what our play is and why we need our GK to pass the ball rather than hoofing it. What posters would rather prefer is quite pointless till we have van Gaal at the helm who's style requires a keeper good with the ball at his feet.
Fair enough. Although, I find it extraordinary that a good keeper was second choice for 2 years running at pretty ordinary clubs. He made 13 combined starts in 13-14 and 14-15. Victim of the circumstances, I guess.

So we all think that he is good enough to start for Manchester United next season?

Yes, I don't see what our play is. However, I am flabbergasted that having someone who is good with the ball at his feet is more important than having a good goal keeper. I'll never understand that.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
TBH I'm in no position to judge him as I haven't seen enough.

However, I'm worried that we're heading back to the same situation we had between Schmeichel and Edwin - trying out goalkeepers and hoping they'll fit in and perform. The goalkeeper position isn't something you can afford to mess around with and not having a solid first choice at this stage is disappointing.

I'd hope that someone with van Gaal's experience, especially with Hoek on board would be able to see that. If it's the case of "we'll see how Romero gets on" then it's concerning.
Spot on, mate.

We are heading for a fecking mess, or actually already are in it, and it's worrying.

Mali_Zeus

Fair enough. Although, I find it extraordinary that a good keeper was second choice for 2 years running at pretty ordinary clubs. He made 13 combined starts in 13-14 and 14-15. Victim of the circumstances, I guess.

So we all think that he is good enough to start for Manchester United next season?

Yes, I don't see what our play is. However, I am flabbergasted that having someone who is good with the ball at his feet is more important than having a good goal keeper. I'll never understand that.
If DDG stays I expect us to buy new nr. 1 next season. LVG said before if he sell DDG we need a new keeper.

VanGaalEra

Yes, mate, but we are also talking about a keeper good enough to start for us. He also didn't look very comfortable with the ball at this feet last game. Nor do I remember him making some extraordinary pass that started a great attack from us.

He was active and called into play. We were under the cosh in the last 10-15 mintues of the games, like we used to put team under pressure when Fergie was our manager.

I was wrong then.

What led to the Erikson chance? I may have confused that as a wrong pass from the keeper. My bad.
How many times can you remember a great pass from a keeper starting an attack? They're not Pirlo in disguise. I'm also not convinced about him as a keeper, but your observation that the worst part of his game was his distribution was clearly wrong.

Mate, we were peppering teams goals when under Fergie, it really isn't comparable.

The Eriksen chance, he passed it to Schneiderlin not Eriksen. You may have to watch that again.

Varun

Staff

I haven't seen him enough to comment on whether or not he's good enough to be our 1st choice long term. I'd rather we get Leno tbh.

Lastly, being good with the feet is critical to our play. Doesn't mean we sign shit keepers otherwise we'd simply play an outfield player there. What it means is that being good with the feet is v important and thus a slightly inferior keeper might get the mod if he's vastly superior in this regard.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
And in that year, David grows some balls and get's rid of his Mrs, or she really can't stand another year in England, so she does one. Obviously he is heartbroken so David then puts his focus back in to football and again produces many man of the match performances that we saw last year. His team mates and close relationships with Mata and Herrera help him through and his manager supports him throughout it all. Slowly David sorts his head out and then falls back in love with the club.

It's new years eve, Dave is out with the entire squad celebrating United being top of the Premiership for the New Year, when suddenly this absolutely beautiful Mancunian girl catches his eye and he instantly falls head over heels. The next morning he looks over at her in bed next to him and he cries. He can't believe how stupid he had been and how close he was to making a huge mistake. He picks up the phone and demands Mendes goes and sucks a squirrel's balls and tells him to phone Madrid and tell that snakey feck Perez to do the same. He then phones big Ed and LvG on a conference call and declares his undying love for the best football club in the whole wide world and demands to sign a new 10 year contract. He celebrates with a cold can of Carlsberg Export and a foamy tit wank with his new lady. He then tweets @Vato and calls him a cnut.

Probably.
The only problem I see with this story is that I have no idea how Twitter works. The rest is completely possible.

VanGaalEra

I haven't seen him enough to comment on whether or not he's good enough to be our 1st choice long term. I'd rather we get Leno tbh.

Lastly, being good with the feet is critical to our play. Doesn't mean we sign shit keepers otherwise we'd simply play an outfield player there. What it means is that being good with the feet is v important and thus a slightly inferior keeper might get the mod if he's vastly superior in this regard.
Spot on, he is good with his feet and it's plainly obvious he is. Anyone who states otherwise clearly doesn't like him or has some other agenda.

kotha

Reading that BBC article,looks like DDG isn't fully focused.. So better to not play him.. Don't get why some people are blaming Van Gaal for it.. Even if he plays him and DDG makes a blunder, I am sure the same people will turn around and blame LVG for playing someone who isn't fully focused..

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
If De Gea doesn't join Madrid, his first league game of the season could be vs Liverpool September 12.

Lewis.no.9

If Romero doesnt make any errors between now and the 1st of Sept. Then will De Gea remain on the bench all season if he stays?

Varun

Staff
If Romero doesnt make any errors between now and the 1st of Sept. Then will De Gea remain on the bench all season if he stays?
No way of knowing this till it happens but I would say Yes. Till the time he does something to deserve to be dropped obviously, not the entire season.

Sad Chris

If, and that's a very big if, Romero does better than average and convinces people he could be the replacement we need, why not? I'd rather our future is between the posts than our soon to come past.
Of course then we'll argue why we didn't sell DdG, but we can't know at this moment. It'll be a perfect situation for hindsight, what we have all mastered at the Caf.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

DdG sitting on the bench the whole season and leaving on a free in a year does not make sense. I know we could make an example and Show him and RM that they should not feck around with us.
However, I would prefer to come to an Agreement now.

Shark

@NotShark
DdG sitting on the bench the whole season and leaving on a free in a year does not make sense. I know we could make an example and Show him and RM that they should not feck around with us.
However, I would prefer to come to an Agreement now.
He wouldn't be on the bench for the whole season, he'd play once his head is right and in the meantime we could get him to sign an extension of some sort.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

:lol::lol::lol:
That is the perfect word for that look. Not quite confused, or shocked... but baffled. God knows what he's actually looking at. Fergie picking his nose and eating it? Blind at centre back?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I'm sure there's a bit of kidology here. Like when Sir Alex held told the press that Wayne wanted to leave. The press all say he wants to play and that 'he's confused' but he has a twitter account. I think he's somewhat avoided it (twitter), but I don't see him bringing out a statement anyway - so the press as full of shit and nothing really has changed. The club might be 'working' on him. Trying to gee him up so that when he returns, he might feel he has something to prove. That he does want to play....but ideally we just want him to sign a contract. Even if it has a release clause of 50m. The fans would hate to see him go but we could then build for the future. Leaving on a free might make sense for him but if you don't care for the club, you don't respect the fans.

MV12

Much ado about nothing, if you ask me. The storm seems to be stirred by the media more than anything else.

If De Gea had really outright refused to play, LvG would never even have included him in the CL squad. There's a difference between outright refusal, and mutually agreeing that it might not be in the best interest for him to play. If LvG sees something on the pitch and training ground that tells him De Gea shouldn't play, then I don't think it's up for discussion anymore.

Are we seriously thinking that if De Gea had told him "hey don't worry boss, I'll be ok", LvG would just say, "oh alright then, you'll play."??

And then a few hours later, the Daily Mail reported that "sources close to De Gea has confirmed blah blah blah" ... claiming he was baffled by LvG's words. Like seriously?? The Daily Mail has sources within the club who can walk up to De Gea and ask him outright "hey have you heard, the boss is telling the whole world that you refused to play on Saturday. So Dave, tell me how you feel about that?" It's the Daily Mail guys.

The way I see, nothing has changed at all. It's just the media trying to stir a shit storm.

LvG has made it clear that he won't play De Gea right until the transfer window is closed, just to be safe. De Gea probably feels he can play, but I don't think he's going to fight with LvG over it. And of course, if Romero plays an absolute blinder in every match from now until then, De Gea may have to remain on the bench. There's nothing new here. At all.
Spot on!
The media love a story epescially regarding Manchester United.
Like I've said before DDG and his agent have really put themselves and us into a corner.
If DDG stays he will have to get his head together and buckle down to some hard work and proffesional endeavour.
We don't have to sell him, he is still under contract till the end of this season, and therefore it's in his best interest and eveybody elses that he grows some balls and gets back to his best!

rover

the decision was made before the spurs game, right? so why he spoke it out just right now? my best guess is, something happened in between, andthere is no losing to lvg by doing so i would say

ddg's contract situation is all well known and this is not an explosive from nothing;
if ddg staying and have got his chance to play again and turn out to be shit, he told you so already. otherwise any manager would welcome his player to prove he's wrong by performing excellently

almost all blasted the agent of raheem sterling by acting ugly in public. but at least he finally got what the player had wanted especially given how liverpool dishonored their agreement when saurex pushed for a move in his first attempt.

instead, the agent of ddg playing angel, and leaves ddg looked like a moron

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal
Well apparently DDG spoke with Hoeck? That is what LVG is now claiming but I'm not sure we are getting the truth! It's almost like LVG knows he needs to turn the fans on DDG?

Maybe because there's still a lot of support for DDG despite the situation? Because a lot of us can sympathise with him wanting to go home. And so he's turning the situation now to the point of no return?

Once the fans turn there's no going back for a player and the club will sell him on that basis. Maybe I'm completely wide of the mark but it's just the feeling I'm getting.

Last week his head wasn't right, now he's told the staff he doesn't want to play?! Can't help but feel that we are having the wool pulled over our eyes here...

Reactions: Sultan

0161_UNITED

Well, it certainly is getting messy. One thing I keep thinking about is that this isn't a recent mess caused by whatever LvG said today, although that may not be helping matters much. These De Gea to Real Madrid or Barca rumours started when he signed, and the RM rumours were in full swing throughout last season.

I keep wondering, why didn't we sign someone?

Well, here's my theory. We did with Valdes and Romero. However, we didn't buy a more direct replacement - Lloris, Cillesen, Leno, or Cech. I think we weren't interested in Cech (or he wasn't interested), don't know anything about Leno, but let's be honest - Lloris and Cillesen are going to cost a bomb. Not just now, I'm talking about at the beginning of the window, and even last season. Everyone and their dog knows, and has known for years, that if United come knocking on your door for a GK, it means De Gea's leaving, and they can practically name whatever price they like. It seems odd that people think we can get a quality keeper on the cheap. I think anyone who thinks Harry Kane would be overpriced from Tottenham, would be nuts to have the opinion that Lloris is somehow going to be reasonably priced by Levy. I mean, consider that Ajax have gone public (multiple times now) stating that they'll fleece us for Cillesen. There's a reason we went cheap for Valdes and Romero, because the top tier is going to cost us dearly.

If we sell De Gea, on the cheap to RM, unless his replacement was Valdes, Romero, Johnstone or Lindegaard, we are going to pay through the fecking nose and look right mugs. We can't sell for 15 mil, and turn around and pay 45 million quid for Lloris, or pay a world record for Cillesen. Also, my opinion is it's not because the window is ending, we would have been fleeced before the window opened. We would have been fleeced last season. This situation has been brewing for a long, long time.

Last edited:

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
It was an awful move, clubs were willing to pay a lot for him. Dortmund did nothing particular in that season, overpaid Lewandowski and didn't had enough money to replace him with a top replacement.
Dortmund lost on every points.
Which did not matter, because Lewandowski was already Bayern bound at that point in time. Believe me, we tried to sell him abroad, but in the end it was the players decision. Knowing they would get him no matter what, Bayern of course did not offer anywhere near his market value. I would be shocked if the offer was above 20 Mil. €. And for that kind of money it was actually wiser to keep him for one additional year on a relatively low salary (compared to other top striker). He had a significant impact that season and earned the club more money than the transfer fee would have been.

The problem about his replacement was also not money for the transfer fees but rather the lack of pull on the transfer market to attract a top striker on a similar level as Lewandowski. Any player of that calibre would have crushed the wage structure of the club.

0161_UNITED

Which did not matter, because Lewandowski was already Bayern bound at that point in time. Believe me, we tried to sell him abroad, but in the end it was the players decision. Knowing they would get him no matter what, Bayern of course did not offer anywhere near his market value. I would be shocked if the offer was above 20 Mil. €. And for that kind of money it was actually wiser to keep him for one additional year on a relatively low salary (compared to other top striker). He had a significant impact that season and earned the club more money than the transfer fee would have been.

The problem about his replacement was also not money for the transfer fees but rather the lack of pull on the transfer market to attract a top striker on a similar level as Lewandowski. Any player of that calibre would have crushed the wage structure of the club.
Very similar to the De Gea situation, then. Maybe it wouldn't smash our wage structure, but we would most certainly get fleeced on the transfer fee, IMO (mentioned in my post above). If the money received from RM doesn't even remotely begin to cover the cost of a replacement, it makes no sense to sell. It makes more sense to hold tight and hope the impact of the player for one more season is worth more than the paltry sum of the transfer fee offered.

Last edited:

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Very similar to the De Gea situation, then.
Yeah, in a way except probably the last part.

De Gea was also arguably more important to United than Lewandowski has ever been for us. De Gea was the undisputed best player of the team in the last two seasons. In Lewandowski´s case there was always at least one player in the team with at least a similar impact (in three of four seasons with more) to the success.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You've really got to wonder at this point why De Gea hasn't put an actual written transfer request in. Any mention of "not wanting to tarnish his legacy" or "disrespect the club or fans" at this point is beyond retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.