De Gea Contract Situation

Do you think David De Gea will sign a new contract at Man Utd this season?

• Yes

• No

• Yes, but he'll still leave by the end of the season

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Lewandowski's a good example of a player who was able to make a really valuable contribution while running his contract down. He was the top scorer in the league (and scored 6 CL goals) in his last season at Dortmund. That probably worked out better for his club than selling him for a derisory fee 12 months earlier. Once Dave accepts that he'll have to wait until next summer for his move to Spain I'm sure he'll sort his head out, knuckle down and be an important player for us. Right now, he's doing all he can to force the club to sell, which is a dick move but only an issue so long as the window is still open.
I think he wasn't sold due to rivalry between the clubs, and not because he would have made a valuable contribution. Obviously an assumption on my part.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Unfortunately, deadlines are all well and good but the only deadline that counts is the one that Jim Watt ejaculates to.

We have laid down the law IMO, we've basically said:-

1. You can go if we get what we want (30M);
  2. If we don't get what we want you'll have to stay the season;
  3. If you do stay, you better be 100% focused and committed to Manchester United and the fans or you're going to be sitting in the stands looking down thinking, feck my Euro 2016 chances now.
He has the options in front of him (as does his heavenly agent and Real Madrid) so it's now up to him/them to do what we want or we'll take our stand and stick with it.
So, if Madrid comes with 30m on the 29th or the 30th August, we sell him to them? What about us? Where do we get a good replacement keeper in the next one or two days?

And don't tell me that mediocre Dutch keeper is the answer.

Smores

Am I the only one who doesn't care if we get 10, 20, or 30mil?

At the end of the day we'll have lost a world class goalkeeper to a champions league rival. It'll hurt.

What doesn't hurt me in the slightest is the level of compensation the club gets and the financial effects on the owners/shareholders. We have plenty of money to throw around so it's not going to make a difference in acquiring his replacement. I'd rather we just got it all sorted either way

I just find it difficult to be angry on someone's elses behalf when that someone is a huge commercial giant

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
i think the stand the club is taking is correct. If Madrid don't pay a decent fee, he doesn't leave this summer. It's about time we took a firmer stance on transfers.

VanGaalEra

So, if Madrid comes with 30m on the 29th or the 30th August, we sell him to them? What about us? Where do we get a good replacement keeper in the next one or two days?

And don't tell me that mediocre Dutch keeper is the answer.
I would accept (they're not going to bid 30M for him, they would basically have bowed down to us and Perez doesn't want to seen to losing this battle) and go with what we have.

Romero/Johnstone aren't as bad as being made out, we can get buy for a season, especially with the fact we're playing a more defensively solid formation along with a new RB in the team who can actually defend and cover. The GK won't be anywhere near as active as last season. Romero also looks really comfortable with the ball at his feet, which is what we need.

In an ideal world, we get one more WC season out of DDG.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Lewandowski's a good example of a player who was able to make a really valuable contribution while running his contract down. He was the top scorer in the league (and scored 6 CL goals) in his last season at Dortmund. That probably worked out better for his club than selling him for a derisory fee 12 months earlier. Once Dave accepts that he'll have to wait until next summer for his move to Spain I'm sure he'll sort his head out, knuckle down and be an important player for us. Right now, he's doing all he can to force the club to sell, which is a dick move but only an issue so long as the window is still open.
It was an awful move, clubs were willing to pay a lot for him. Dortmund did nothing particular in that season, overpaid Lewandowski and didn't had enough money to replace him with a top replacement.
Dortmund lost on every points.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

At the end of the day we'll have lost a world class goalkeeper to a champions league rival. It'll hurt.

What doesn't hurt me in the slightest is the level of compensation the club gets and the financial effects on the owners/shareholders. We have plenty of money to throw around so it's not going to make a difference in acquiring his replacement. I'd rather we just got it all sorted either way

I just find it difficult to be angry on someone's elses behalf when that someone is a huge commercial giant
Yep you are, its all about standing by your principals, show them who's boss or else the players will walk all over you and Madrid Will as well

SqueakyWeasel

Which is why I'm happy that the powers that be are not letting Real bend us over and butt-feck us!

Sultan

From a financial perspective if a new goalkeeper had been purchased just the shirt sales would have made up any financial shortfall made due to Madrid offering a lower price than the club desires. I'm sure goalkeeper shirt sales or name printing will have suffered a massive decline.

SqueakyWeasel

From a financial perspective if a new goalkeeper had been purchased just the shirt sales would have made up any financial shortfall made due to Madrid offering a lower price than the club desires. I'm sure goalkeeper shirt sales or name printing will have suffered a massive decline.
Are we still getting shirt money on top of the Adidas deal?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Oh come on., Sultan. Surely you know it's a myth that signing any individual player makes feck all difference to the revenue made from shirts. And you don't seriously think that selling goalkeeper shirts is a big source of revenue to begin with!

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I would accept (they're not going to bid 30M for him, they would basically have bowed down to us and Perez doesn't want to seen to losing this battle) and go with what we have.

Romero/Johnstone aren't as bad as being made out, we can get buy for a season, especially with the fact we're playing a more defensively solid formation along with a new RB in the team who can actually defend and cover. The GK won't be anywhere near as active as last season. Romero also looks really comfortable with the ball at his feet, which is what we need.

In an ideal world, we get one more WC season out of DDG.
No, we can't. Last season showed us how important a good goal keeper is to us with the way we play. De Gea was more responsible for getting us the top 4 last season than any one else.

If the pre-season or the Spurs game were any indication, then our GK this season will be as active as he was last season.

Romero didn't look comfortable with the ball at this feet, that actually looked the worst part of his game against Spurs.

This is a risky game we are playing, I hope we come out the winner in all this. I don't like the situation at all and am very skeptical right now.

Pogue Mahone

I think he wasn't sold due to rivalry between the clubs, and not because he would have made a valuable contribution. Obviously an assumption on my part.
I'm sure that was a factor. Dortmund wanted to prove that they wouldn't be bullied by Bayern into selling their best player on the cheap. Similar to what's going on with De Gea really.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Lewandoski also got a lot more money to stay for another year, and then left for free.

Dortmund made a point, don't know how beneficial it was to make that point.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Urgh, what a mess... why the club felt the need to air this out in the public domain I do not know.

Now it's out there, it's shitty from De Gea, who has had exemplary behaviour up until now... but then, he's saying he never said that and wanted to play... so feck knows.

VanGaalEra

No, we can't. Last season showed us how important a good goal keeper is to us with the way we play. De Gea was more responsible for getting us the top 4 last season than any one else.

If the pre-season or the Spurs game were any indication, then our GK this season will be as active as he was last season.

Romero didn't look comfortable with the ball at this feet, that actually looked the worst part of his game against Spurs.

This is a risky game we are playing, I hope we come out the winner in all this. I don't like the situation at all and am very skeptical right now.
What part of the Spurs game made you think our GK will be as active this season? The two routine saves he made all game? Which came in the final 10 minutes.

He misplaced two passes because he would rather try and play the ball out as to aimlessly hoofing it up as far as possible. He's comfortable with the ball at his feet, I've seen that for Argentina also.

JPRouve

Scout
How much were they offered for him, I can't remember if it was a 15 or 36 million that previous summer.
I heard more than 30m by United and Real Madrid, at least. I don't think that anyone knows what Bayern were willing to pay.

Sultan

Oh come on., Sultan. Surely you know it's a myth that signing any individual player makes feck all difference to the revenue made from shirts. And you don't seriously think that selling goalkeeper shirts is a big source of revenue to begin with!
Try telling that to Adidas.

Goalkeepers shirt sales might not be a massive source of revenue, but generally revenue from shirt sales is big. Not sure if true but I read reports some players salaries and fees are easily covered by just their shirt sales. Hence wanting rights to when negotiating deals.

Pogue Mahone

What part of the Spurs game made you think our GK will as active this season? The two routine saves he made all game? Which came in the final 10 minutes.

He misplaced two passes because he would rather try and play the ball out as to aimlessly hoofing it up as far as possible. He's comfortable with the ball at his feet, I've seen that for Argentina also.
Yeah, I was impressed with him with the ball at his feet. Will take a few games for him to get a proper relationship with the defenders, so he can predict their movement, but he's clearly a decent footballer. Suits the Van Gaal style well.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
What part of the Spurs game made you think our GK will be as active this season? The two routine saves he made all game? Which came in the final 10 minutes.

If you have seen him for Argentina, then you should also know that he isn't a very good keeper.

He was active because we have this tendency to sit on leads and invite pressure on to us in the latter stages of games. We don't create enough chances and score enough goals to put games away.

I rather he hoofs it then keep 'misplacing' these passes on to the opposition attackers feet.

Pogue Mahone

Try telling that to Adidas.

Goalkeepers shirt sales might not be a massive source of revenue, but generally revenue from shirt sales is big. Not sure if true but I read reports some players salaries and fees are easily covered by just their shirt sales. Hence wanting rights to when negotiating deals.
This has been discussed loads of times before. The club gets paid a shit-load of cash by the shirt manufacturer to allow them to market and sell the clubs shirts for the duration of the contract. Any waxing and waning in sales of shirts over that period of time primarily benefits the manufacturer, rather than the club. Obviously, selling shit-loads of shirts over a long period of time means the club can negotiate an even better fee when the contract is up but that's a long way off.

We're talking about goalkeepers here, so signing a new keeper wouldn't even earn the shirt manufacturer much money. How often do you see people wearing replica goalkeeper shirts?

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I heard more than 30m by United and Real Madrid, at least. I don't think that anyone knows what Bayern were willing to pay.
36 million would Have been fair market value for a club that needs money if it was from us, Chelsea or Madrid, but I guess it would be hard to justify selling him to Bayern after gotze, as for us we are raking in the money from sponsorships so we can take the hit financially from not getting a fee for DdG and as well we won't look like Madrids lap dog

Varun

Staff
If you have seen him for Argentina, then you should also know that he isn't a very good keeper.

He was active because we have this tendency to sit on leads and invite pressure on to us in the latter stages of games. We don't create enough chances and score enough goals to put games away.

I rather he hoofs it then keep 'misplacing' these passes on to the opposition attackers feet.
He's barely played for a year and it was his first start with us. Cut him some slack for misplacing couple of passes. What you'd rather have him do is absolutely meaningless when our play is so heavily reliant on the keeper not hoofing it ever chance he gets.

Siorac

It was an awful move, clubs were willing to pay a lot for him. Dortmund did nothing particular in that season, overpaid Lewandowski and didn't had enough money to replace him with a top replacement.
Dortmund lost on every points.
He didn't want to go to another club by all accounts while Bayern didn't want to pay decent money for him.

Dortmund finished second in both the league and the cup and reached the quarter-finals of the CL in that season. Much better performance than the next one, without Lewandowski.

VanGaalEra

Yeah, I was impressed with him with the ball at his feet. Will take a few games for him to get a proper relationship with the defenders, so he can predict their movement, but he's clearly a decent footballer. Suits the Van Gaal style well.
That's why I'm happy with him in goal, he fits our game perfectly by being able to pick out a pass. Much better on the ball then DDG, lets hope Hoek can improve other aspects of his game and he can learn the language quickly.

JPRouve

Scout
He didn't want to go to another club by all accounts while Bayern didn't want to pay decent money for him.

Dortmund finished second in both the league and the cup and reached the quarter-finals of the CL in that season. Much better performance than the next one, without Lewandowski.
And the important part was to assure the club futur after Lewandowski departure.

Rich_H_1989

lost in a street fight to van gaal

Not sure I'd agree that the were routine saves. Perhaps not outstanding world class saves but not routine. I think his performance was better than a lot of us thought but yes his distribution was shaky (though to be fair at least he's trying and it'll improve) and he did flap a couple of times at crosses.

Nobody though can overlook the importance of DDG and how good he was last season. A world class GK can be worth 10-15 points... Well I think he was worth 20+ last season.

One thing I have noticed though is that his distribution isn't what it was. He does play a lot more long passes where I wonder what he's doing. When he first came in his distribution was one of his best features. In fact at times I thought he could be our midfield saviour ;) but maybe I'm being a tad harsh and I'm the one one?

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He's barely played for a year and it was his first start with us. Cut him some slack for misplacing couple of passes. What you'd rather have him do is absolutely meaningless when our play is so heavily reliant on the keeper not hoofing it ever chance he gets.
I would cut him whatever slack you want me to cut him, but the bolded part is not a ringing endorsement for the guy to be our starting GK for next season, as was suggested by the poster I was arguing with.

There is a reason he was a second or third choice at his previous clubs.

Our play? What is that?

And yes, I would rather have a solid keeper, who can command his box and make saves rather than someone who is 'good with the ball'.

Sir A1ex

Well yeah, if we get ripped off at this stage then we've fecked up. Until that happens though...

Anyway, I was really talking more about way all parties have gone about things rather than what's actually happened. This saga has dragged on but with very little bitterness on either side. That's definitely a good thing.
I would have agreed until yesterday... this latest exchange seems to risk pulling it all down into the mire a bit though. And also increases the risk of us losing him for peanuts.

JPRouve

Scout
I would cut him whatever slack you want me to cut him, but the bolded part is not a ringing endorsement for the guy to be our starting GK for next season, as was suggested by the poster I was arguing with.

Our play? What is that?

And yes, I would rather have a solid keeper, who can command his box and make saves rather than someone who is 'good with the ball'.

Yes, he wasn't supposed to comeback from Monaco and Sampdoria wanted to get rid asap, apparently because of his wage. Which didn't worked by the way.

VanGaalEra

We were talking about his passing skills and the ball at his feet?

Again he wasn't active and you're talking about something else, again.

I rather he hoofs it then keep 'misplacing' these passes on to the opposition attackers feet
Not once did he misplace a pass to the opposition attackers feet.

nevillestache

Our play? What is that?

I've seen it mentioned that he was more or less frozen out rather than benched - think it was suggested that Sampdoria wanted his wages off the books. No idea how true but that's what was suggested.

Pogue Mahone

Not sure I'd agree that the were routine saves. Perhaps not outstanding world class saves but not routine. I think his performance was better than a lot of us thought but yes his distribution was shaky (though to be fair at least he's trying and it'll improve) and he did flap a couple of times at crosses.

Nobody though can overlook the importance of DDG and how good he was last season. A world class GK can be worth 10-15 points... Well I think he was worth 20+ last season.

One thing I have noticed though is that his distribution isn't what it was. He does play a lot more long passes where I wonder what he's doing. When he first came in his distribution was one of his best features. In fact at times I thought he could be our midfield saviour ;) but maybe I'm being a tad harsh and I'm the one one?
I've always thought De Gea was a bit "meh" with the ball at his feet. I kind of assumed that would be one of this main strengths (not sure why? did he have that reputation?) but was never impressed. Loads of keepers around who are better footballers than him. Hopefully Romero is one of them. De Gea's distribution once he got the ball in his hands was great though.

VanGaalEra

Both the saves we're close to him, any keeper in the world worth his salt would have saved those shots. I was impressed he held onto the ball from the Eriksen shot though.

DDG was important to us no doubt, but I expect us to be much more defensively solid this season and the GK won't need to be anywhere near as worldie as DDG was last season.

Fully Fledged

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
I've seen it mentioned that he was more or less frozen out rather than benched - think it was suggested that Sampdoria wanted his wages off the books. No idea how true but that's what was suggested.
He was on loan at Monaco and still second choice.

Anyway, him being a second choice is not the only reason I am scared of the idea of him starting for us regularly. I have seen him at two international championships now, and he hasn't looked very good at either.

JPRouve

Scout
He was on loan at Monaco and still second choice.

Anyway, him being a second choice is not the only reason I am scared of the idea of him starting for us regularly. I have seen him at two international championships now, and he hasn't looked very good at either.
Second choice because the player he was supposed to replace, is playing perfectly for 3 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.