Dele Alli is England's best young midfielder playing in Turkey

Abraxas

What a decline this has been.

It's all very well saying that maybe he was put on a pedestal a little too soon or that he was overhyped, which is a trend in modern football. You go from zero to hero and vice versa on the back of a season here or there.

But to go from the level he was playing at with Spurs under Poch to the complete non entity he is now, aged only 26 or whatever he is shows a mind boggling lack of drive.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Too much money, too much hype?! Doesn't seem to be such an uncommon development with English youngsters.

We need an rvn

Ouch. That's gotta be tough to hear. What on Earth has happened to him that he's struggling in the Turkish league?
fame and fortune went to his head and now he’s lost the hunger and desire / stuck in a rut that he can’t get out of.
There’s still a player there, but it will need a special coach and huge amount of effort on Alli’s behalf

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You don't score 18 league goals from midfield in the PL without being somewhat talented.
Glaston got to you didn’t he? :lol:

Dele never played in midfield. He played off the striker.

Redderp

Why are people just ignoring all his injuries? He lost what made him so good. Look at the Rashford goal against West Ham. That’s exactly those kind of goals Dele Alli scored a lot of. He had elite off the ball movement.

He just can’t move anymore after all his injuries. He doesn’t have the best mentality, so injuries just absolutely destroyed him when he can’t physically do what he used to.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Why are people just ignoring all his injuries? He lost what made him so good. Look at the Rashford goal against West Ham. That’s exactly those kind of goals Dele Alli scored a lot of. He had elite off the ball movement.

He just can’t move anymore after all his injuries. He doesn’t have the best mentality, so injuries just absolutely destroyed him when he can’t physically do what he used to.
I think injuries have definitely had a big impact on him but he just doesn't have an elite mentality and drive unfortunately to push himself to try and be the best year on year.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
Too much money, too much hype?! Doesn't seem to be such an uncommon development with English youngsters.
I always got the feeling he was more interested in being a fashion icon - guru than a footballer once he got a taste of living the high life. He was absolutely electric under Pochettino in his first few season.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
While talented he was never that talented. Add possible mental issues, a lack of drive and it’s not that surprising anymore.
Personally I never got where the hype came from.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I said it before but that Spurs team with Dembele, Sissoko etc was built in a way that allowed Dele to little in the form of work and could let his technique shine. Everton and I assume Besiktas absolutely cannot afford having a luxury player like this. It was up to Dele to realise he needed to add the work to his game and he couldn’t float through football but he just hasn’t or can’t.

Big Andy

Bloke
Thing with Dele Alli is that he's always come across as a giant nobhead, in the mould of Lingard, Pogba, etc. More interested in coming up with a celebration or a dance than anything else, and more concerned with wearing a fashionable tracksuit (if such a thing exists) then grafting.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Thing with Dele Alli is that he's always come across as a giant nobhead, in the mould of Lingard, Pogba, etc. More interested in coming up with a celebration or a dance than anything else, and more concerned with wearing a fashionable tracksuit (if such a thing exists) then grafting.
Alli just seems like a prick while Lingard and Pogba might actually be a laugh if they're your mates.

Fabio Rochemback

He had one or two quite bad injuries, didn't he? That's probably just as much to blame as bad attitude. Definitely seemed to lose some pace.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
You don't go to Turkey to revive your career. It's more of a death knell.

crossy1686

career ending
You can say the same about a few of them, Ali, Lingard, Pogba, Lukaku, Maddison (to an extent), they get a taste of the big time, start to believe their own hype, surround themselves with the wrong people who talk too much about money and fame, get distracted by it all and start putting less effort into their football and training.

It hasn't always been this way, we regularly see world class players from yesteryear selling their medals or working full time jobs to make ends meet, they were never able to obtain generational wealth in their 20's like the lads are now. You have to wonder what that would do to your motivation if in the same boat.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Poch ruined him - did the classic English manager thing where you get a physical box to box midfielder coming through, see he's got a decent touch and scores goals and think "I have a brilliant idea, let's play him up front, he'll get even more goals!" And he will of course because he's closer to goal, but he'll never be that good there because he's a midfielder, and he'll never learn the midfield position properly because he's playing up front.

That and Alli's probably a bellend, but that's by the by.

Remember the geese

If only Gareth was allowed a more generous initial squad size than 55. Alli may have squeezed into a 100-150 man squad. Wouldn't count on it though.

Irrational.

That and Alli's probably a bellend, but that's by the by.
This is what really ruined him. He used to get off on winding opposition players up, and that 20 goal season when he played up front had the likes of Glaston frothing at the gash saying he was better than Pogba and the best ‘midfielder’ in the league etc.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
As much as I couldn't stand him, it's gutting to see how deep he's fallen. Loads of talent but an utterly shite mentality.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
A modern day David Platt.

I remember spurs fans on here claiming his passing was as good as Gerrard's and he had way more to his game than goals.

el3mel

I remember people actually blaming Mourinho for Alli's form as well, as crazy as it sounds, while it was obvious it's Alli who is unreliable to say the least.