Diego Simeone - the missing one

Inter Yer Nan

They've hit a slump recently. COVID, a few injuries etc; and they've had some critical absentee's. I'm sure they'll get back to form soon. Not sure they win the return leg, but they have been a bit more expansive on the whole this season. They have been very impressive apart from the last 4-5 games. I watch them all the time.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So are a lot of friendlies in summer. I never bother to remember their names even, but I’m sure you have the full overview if a Title is a Title is a Title?
Supercups aren't friendlies though. They're taken quite seriously in spain

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They've hit a slump recently. COVID, a few injuries etc; and they've had some critical absentee's. I'm sure they'll get back to form soon. Not sure they win the return leg, but they have been a bit more expansive on the whole this season. They have been very impressive apart from the last 4-5 games. I watch them all the time.
Their slump is Suarez not scoring

Grande

Supercups aren't friendlies though. They're taken quite seriously in spain
really? I’m surprised, but you know this better than me. In England, claiming the Charity Shield as a trophy is just ridiculous (yes, that doesn’t change because our common boss Jose Mourinho claimed one for United, which was frankly embarrassing). It’s a glorified friendly there at least. Also the Super cup between the CL and UEFA Cup winner never were taken too seriously by most teams. The Bundesliga ones have been fun some times, but clearly marked by teams not in full match fitness yet and with their eyes set more on the upcoming league games.

There’s just more than enough competitions as it is for me, unless we’re gonna start using one game titles for bragging rights on the level of whole season titles.

Galeano

Supports
Chelsea
Some say that the results are everything.
Some say that money is everything.

Simeone is the highest-paid football coach in the world to play as a coward amateur team, providing hours of terror to anyone who has to watch the games in which his team participates, blessed be the crazy Bielsa.

Some supporters of the biggest clubs in England wish to have Simeone as their coach.
I don’t think they’ve ever seen 2 whole games of his team playing whatever they play.

SAFMUTD

His football was enjoyable when it was a bunch of lads giving their best with not much talent on the squad besides one or two players, but its been a long time since that and he's had plenty of talent in the last years to perform way better. His approach is as cowardly as it can get, he always set ups like this in the UCL knockouts, dont mind if its against prime Barcelona or against freaking Porto. He always parks the bus.

Raredaredevil

Not sure why he is getting so much grief. This is Diego Simeone and this has always been his style, and that is what made him successful. The way he set up his team works for him more often than not, just a shame he came up against a rejuvenated Chelsea team under a good tactician. He always thrive on the underdog and 'siege' mentality. With the players he has, he could have done a lot better but why fix something which works well for the past decade. I am also surprised they lost considering man for man, they have better players than Chelsea. That Chelsea line-up looks so underwhelming.

Eddy_JukeZ

He is so defensive and yet Jose himself parked the bus vs Simeone when they met in 2014 for the 1st leg.

Says it all.

dinostar77

Simeone is suited for Italian football. Would just be argentine Mourinho if he came here.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
they are friendlies, literally everywhere else. And as someone else said, the match between the CL & Europa League winners (do they even donut still?) are friendlies.
No they're not. Only in england it's a friendly. Everywhere else it's the equivalent of the english league cup

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
they are friendlies, literally everywhere else. And as someone else said, the match between the CL & Europa League winners (do they even donut still?) are friendlies.
That one I consider more than a friendly.

The national super cups are bunk though.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
No they're not. Only in england it's a friendly. Everywhere else it's the equivalent of the english league cup
They're glamourised friendlies. They took greater importance once Pep won the treble as it means he could do the 'sextuplet', but that would consist of the Spanish Super cup, the European Super Cup and the Club World Cup (which are glamourised friendlies).

Generally, as its Barca and Real contesting the Spanish super cup, they're a good way of putting the rival down at the start of the season...but they're still glamourised friendlies.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They're glamourised friendlies. They took greater importance once Pep won the treble as it means he could do the 'sextuplet', but that would consist of the Spanish Super cup, the European Super Cup and the Club World Cup (which are glamourised friendlies).

Generally, as its Barca and Real contesting the Spanish super cup, they're a good way of putting the rival down at the start of the season...but they're still glamourised friendlies.
Spanish football even changed the supercup's format recently to make it more like a tournament. No, it's not a glamourised friendly. Your manager doesn't get sacked for losing a glamourised friendly

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I feel his sides have gotten more and more defensive. There was a time they would work hard and defend but also use the counter a lot more effectively. Now it seems it’s just park the bus tactics.

What’s up with Gimenez?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I feel his sides have gotten more and more defensive. There was a time they would work hard and defend but also use the counter a lot more effectively. Now it seems it’s just park the bus tactics.

What’s up with Gimenez?
Agree and it's something I've noticed with them a fair amount recently in their CL knockout games.

I know they won last season away against Liverpool but, frankly, they got absolutely rinsed in that game yet they took full advantage of their chances and Liverpool didn't.

Overall, It does make you wonder what the AM fans think now.
Simeone has done a excellent job there in making them one of Europe's and La Liga's main competitors and had taken full advantage of their under-dog status in their early years but ,with the money they've spent, maybe they want to move on now and progress and shake their style up abit.

They have some fantastic offensive players who can/could achieve so much more under new leadership with a learning towards a more offensive philosophy.

I still look at Koke and think what could've been had he been managed by a more progressive coach , for example.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
He is Jurassic (?) and the world now belongs to hipsters (??) and snowflakes (???), but he still is at the very top of the game. Perfect coach for siege or sect mentality, one level above Conte, who is similarly spirited but less suited to cup competitions.

binary bot
His 3-0 defeat to Juventus a few years back completely put me off him. 2-0 up and they rocked up with their best Big Sam relegation impression.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Agree and it's something I've noticed with them a fair amount recently in their CL knockout games.

I know they won last season away against Liverpool but, frankly, they got absolutely rinsed in that game yet they took full advantage of their chances and Liverpool didn't.

Overall, It does make you wonder what the AM fans think now.
Simeone has done a excellent job there in making them one of Europe's and La Liga's main competitors and had taken full advantage of their under-dog status in their early years but ,with the money they've spent, maybe they want to move on now and progress and shake their style up abit.

They have some fantastic offensive players who can/could achieve so much more under new leadership with a learning towards a more offensive philosophy.

I still look at Koke and think what could've been had he been managed by a more progressive coach , for example.
I haven’t seen Koke play really well in awhile. He just seems like a regular midfielder nowadays.

The more Atleti have spent. The worse the tactics have become. Saul, Koke, Felix, Suarez, Lemar.. that’s a good quality side there that could play more on the front foot and blow teams away.

RUCK4444

Gotta ask - is he a coward in how he sets up his side?

Does he not know any other way to play other than being defensive?
Yeah I’ve never been a fan myself.

What I would say is that he has a style and he’s good at implementing it and drilling it into his team.

I wouldn’t want us to play like them though.

SATA

I read not one shot on target last night from his team, is that true? Is he trying to get a 0-0 in the first leg and then get through the tie on away goals? I really believe his team are well capable of matching up to Chelsea if he's up for it

Noot

Supports
Manchester City
England is the only country I know of where it's considered a friendly.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
England is the only country I know of where it's considered a friendly.
The supercup isn't taken seriously in Germany either. Neither Bundesliga champion vs. DFB cup winner nor CL winner vs. EL winner nor club world cup (is that even the correct phrasing?). They aren't exactly considered friendlies but glorified friendlies or preseason matches. I doubt that will change as long as the scheduling remains as it is. People have already forgotten who won those "competitions" after two or three weeks. I don't even know which recent UCL winners have won or lost the supercups.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
The supercup isn't taken seriously in Germany either. Neither Bundesliga champion vs. DFB cup winner nor CL winner vs. EL winner nor club world cup (is that even the correct phrasing?). They aren't exactly considered friendlies but glorified friendlies or preseason matches. I doubt that will change as long as the scheduling remains as it is. People have already forgotten who won those "competitions" after two or three weeks. I don't even know which recent UCL winners have won or lost the supercups.
I don't think people care much in the Netherlands either. I mean, it's a real game just before the season starts, so of course whoever is playing it wants to win it - especially since at least usually one of the Dutch top 3 is in there (Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord), and they want to leave a good first impression. But a couple of weeks later, few remember what happened, or who won this in previous years.

Denis' cuff

Simeone? feck me, that’s all we need; more suffocating shite masquerading as football

United Junkie

I don't think people care much in the Netherlands either. I mean, it's a real game just before the season starts, so of course whoever is playing it wants to win it - especially since at least usually one of the Dutch top 3 is in there (Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord), and they want to leave a good first impression. But a couple of weeks later, few remember what happened, or who won this in previous years.
Feyenoord cares. Because it's the only trophy they can win besides the KNVB cup.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Feyenoord cares. Because it's the only trophy they can win besides the KNVB cup.
I guess they won't care as much for a bit now they've been champions recently again though. :) More generally, I doubt their fans care, except if they're playing Ajax.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I find it amazing how when Simeone sets his team out to play defensive and hit on the counter attack he is a "tactical genius" and one of the best managers in the world, but when Ole does it "he is a physed teacher and has no tactics"...

romufc

I find it amazing how when Simeone sets his team out to play defensive and hit on the counter attack he is a "tactical genius" and one of the best managers in the world, but when Ole does it "he is a physed teacher and has no tactics"...
No one likes Ole the manager thats why.

He sits on the bench instead of barking orders really upsets some fans.

tjb

Funny enough, Ole is very good in these situations as well. He has a full range of systems that he has and can use to protect the backline and midfield, which is significantly weaker than what Simeone has had to work with defensively. He doesn't get enough credit for his defensive nous. In comparison with Jose, he has shown more ability to deal with more highly skilled teams than Jose did at United...ironic considering Jose's reputation.

Teja

They're basically the Spanish Wolves at this point. I want to like them but whenever I watch them play I feel like sticking a fork in my eye would be less painful.

criticalanalysis

It's not really fair to compare because Simone has been at Atletico for almost a decade and the answer to your question is to look at his trophy cabinet. Whilst it's easy to think they are some small time club, he's been given a very decent transfer budget during this time but still he's achieved a decent amount in what has essentially been a two horse team league, competing against two playing (Messi, Ronaldo) and managerial goats (Pep, Jose ) etc.

It's good to very impressive depending on your take, especially if they win the league this year too.

Last edited:

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
It's not really fair to compare because Simone has been at Atletico for almost a decade and the answer to your question is to look at his trophy cabinet. Whilst it's easy to think they are some small time club, he's been given a very decent transfer budget during this time but still he's achieved a decent amount in what has essentially been a two horse team league, competing against two playing (Messi, Ronaldo) and managerial goats (Pep, Jose ) etc.

It's good to very impressive depending on your take, especially if they win the league this year too.
I'm trying to find the part where I said something negative about his achievements!?!?

criticalanalysis

I'm trying to find the part where I said something negative about his achievements!?!?
I know your comment was tongue in cheek but one can be called a 'tactical genius' because he has proven it with consistency and trophies against elite opposition. The other is just starting out.

Raredaredevil

I read not one shot on target last night from his team, is that true? Is he trying to get a 0-0 in the first leg and then get through the tie on away goals? I really believe his team are well capable of matching up to Chelsea if he's up for it
Absolutely. They have better players than Chelsea and if you look at their starting 11, a lot of them are such good creative attacking players. I think it's a shame but this style works for him more often than not.