Do we want to lose to City?

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
If City mess up against Spurs then it could be the end of it for them, so yes go out and beat them. If they are still in the title race I will not cry if we lose.

RedNed77

I am certainly not going to tell any one how they should feel or if they should wish to win or lose this match. Each to their own.

You can help us by winning and I perfectly understand why it's a no go for you. Or you can help City by losing and then play your thursday nights next season in Ukraine or wherever you end up. Not to mention digging yourself further into this little crisis of yours.

The real question is.. Do you want syphilis or Gonorrhea?
Had exactly the same argument with a scouser and a city fan at work yesterday, except we used chlamydia and herpes instead.

Re the question on the thread, I want a United win and City and Liverpool to get docked 25 points each for being dirty cheats.

Minimalist

I think City are a different level to us. I don't think we'll have much choice in the matter. :lol:

RuudTom83

If United can’t win the league then I have no interest in who finishes the league in first place.

This year it will be either City or Liverpool, and again I couldn’t care less who it is.

I only care about United winning football matches, so of course I want United to beat City!

Ban

Ideally Liverpool will draw this weekend and City can be a champion even with a draw at OT.

Mr. Ant

Do we want to? Of course not, they're our city rivals ffs.

Will we lose? Most probably, if our players won't give a feck like in the last couple of matches.

Ed needs to shut up about our summer transfer strategy and actually do something to get us back to the top.

The thing is I'm not really sure if he is actually capable of buying 5 good additions to this team.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Look after number 1, which is ourselves. the irony of pointing and laughing at the Scouse for finishing 2nd when we end up outside of the top 4.

shaky

Look after number 1, which is ourselves. the irony of pointing and laughing at the Scouse for finishing 2nd when we end up outside of the top 4.
Better than the embarrassment of celebrating the "top 4 trophy" while the Scouse are picking up the league title.

Sir Scott McToMinay

In the end of the day it all boils down to the question : is finishing in the top 4 rewarding enough to see Liverpool win their first league title in nearly 3 decades (!)?
To me it isn’t, at all.

Andy Hill

Can’t believe this thread is even running. Risk throwing a top 4 place and lose to City all in one game? Get real.

United22

In the end of the day it all boils down to the question : is finishing in the top 4 rewarding enough to see Liverpool win their first league title in nearly 3 decades (!)?
To me it isn’t, at all.
It doesn't boil down to that, I don't think any sane person in here would sacrifice top 4 for Liverpool not winning the league. However, by the time we play City , things could be very different if we lose to Everton and they've beaten Tottenham. Imo if we don't beat Everton this Sunday, we've fecked the top 4 up

Gopher Brown

It's not us to decide.

And no. City winning the league ain't that bad.
“We” as in “Manchester United”

It’s common to refer to the team you support as “we” even though we have virtually zero influence over proceedings.

NJM78

I don't even think we will beat Everton let alone City and I do not believe we will get top 4 either so I will happily lose to them if it guarantees Liverpool do not win the league. Yes I know it will not guarantee that but that's my answer anyway.

Yakuza_devils

If you truly believe this very average Arsenal team are better than us then we are in serious trouble
As I said, in current form, yes Arsenal is better than us. They were also better than us earlier in the season. Arsenal also have much easier run in than us. We still have to face City and Chelsea. Unless, we suddenly find form again our chances for TOP 4 is pretty slim.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Better than the embarrassment of celebrating the "top 4 trophy" while the Scouse are picking up the league title.
Who said anything about celebrating top 4? It's the minimum requirement we expect - simple as. I personally also don't want to be in the Europa League next season as the fixtures are a complete bastard this time of year, takes a lot out of a team with the extra fixtures and short fixture turn-arounds.

Getting worked up over the scouse is nonsense as well. Worry about ourselves and not them. Shit happens, worry about ourselves and get on with it.

fallengt

Watched City vs Spur the other day, city was still a superior team.

We're not going to beat them anyway so I won't give a big fuss if we lose. Spur & Arsenal have much easier fixtures than us, I'm coping by lowering my expectation. Season is over for me

shaky

Who said anything about celebrating top 4? It's the minimum requirement we expect - simple as. I personally also don't want to be in the Europa League next season as the fixtures are a complete bastard this time of year, takes a lot out of a team with the extra fixtures and short fixture turn-arounds.

Getting worked up over the scouse is nonsense as well. Worry about ourselves and not them. Shit happens, worry about ourselves and get on with it.
There's no need to worry about ourselves though, so I'm not going to. Top 4 isn't going to make much difference to our short-term future. If we get CL, then good. If not, then we can give the kids Europa experience and focus properly on the league next season. Too many people seem to regard the top 4 as some sort of holy grail, but then also get stupidly worked up when we get shown up by the best teams in Europe because we simply aren't at a level where we can compete with them right now. The biggest name signings we've made in the past few years, Pogba, Zlatan, Di Maria etc mostly all came in when we had a year of Europa ahead of us, so I'm also not really concerned that missing top 4 will negatively effect our summer business.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

We're not going to beat them anyway so I won't give a big fuss if we lose. Spur & Arsenal have much easier fixtures than us, I'm coping by lowering my expectation. Season is over for me
Spurs, there's more than one.;)

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I may as well be draped in a sky blue scarf and be listening to Oasis all day.

Top fecking 4 isn't near enough an attractive hill to die on for Liverpool to win the league.

Play Ashley Young at centre back.

Eli Zee

Why would you want to lose to prevent another team from winning? I could give 0 f’s if Liverpool win the league and champions league this season. That’s a great achievement — and may very well be deserved come the end of the season.

We really should not give one feck about how well Liverpool do. If we can’t compete with them or city right now, we need to worry about ourselves. Not worry about who wins besides us. It’s a stupid question and even stupider to consider losing on purpose. If a manager told his players to lose, it would be an insult to any fans watching the game.

BigRon1985

Top 4 should be our priority regardless of who wins the league. Need to concentrate on our own performances and results. If we beat City and get Top 4 and as a result Liverpool win the league then that’s collateral damage - painful but unavoidable.

ash_86

Liverpool even if they miss out this time will challenge for the league again next time. I see no point in us purposely losing to City as we need to accept Liverpool as force and make peace with it. If 3 points is going to get us top 4 then we better hope players put everything into winning this game.

Bulldog United

I am fearful of the City game. And it's not me fearing us helping Liverpool win the league. They have the ability to do us over with ease on current form.

Everton is crucial on Sunday. Tricky fixture we absolutely must win. If we do win it, we'll likely be level with Spurs on points. While our rivals do generally have an easier run in than us, they also have to deal with European fixtures sandwiched in between the league games. None of them are blessed with incredibly strong squads. The odds are points will be dropped and we must capitalise.

So while I think our rivals can and will drop points, we cannot afford to be tossing points away without trying with so few games left.

Having closed a seemingly impossible gap since Ole took charge, there's no way I'm cheering us to defeat on Wednesday. The thought of dicking around with Thursday night football next season makes me feel sick.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
There's no need to worry about ourselves though, so I'm not going to. Top 4 isn't going to make much difference to our short-term future. If we get CL, then good. If not, then we can give the kids Europa experience and focus properly on the league next season. Too many people seem to regard the top 4 as some sort of holy grail, but then also get stupidly worked up when we get shown up by the best teams in Europe because we simply aren't at a level where we can compete with them right now. The biggest name signings we've made in the past few years, Pogba, Zlatan, Di Maria etc mostly all came in when we had a year of Europa ahead of us, so I'm also not really concerned that missing top 4 will negatively effect our summer business.
Sure Arsenal started out with their kids, and now fielding stronger team as they have gotten so far. Europa fixtures after group stages come quick and fast. You only get a 3 day turn around between Thursday and Sunday. It hammers squads at this stage of the season, we still won’t have the depth required at this stage of the season next year.

CL is a bigger cash cow, tends to come with more interest and lesser fixture strain. So I’d prefer to give our all and go for it rather than let City walk all over us just so we can ironically laugh at the scouse for falling short.

Top 4 is minimum the club and fans expect. It’s not rewards or celebration, it’s about getting over the line with a target set and benchmark off that for next season.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
No we don't want to lose to them, but will lose because we're shite.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
What happens if 4 English teams make the finals of CL and EL? Does that make the top 4 race irrelevant?
If Spurs drops out of top four and wins CL, the team in 4th doesn't get CL.

If Arse and Chelsea make the final of Europa, the winner gets CL, the loser gets nothing.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Why would you want to lose to prevent another team from winning? I could give 0 f’s if Liverpool win the league and champions league this season. That’s a great achievement — and may very well be deserved come the end of the season.

We really should not give one feck about how well Liverpool do. If we can’t compete with them or city right now, we need to worry about ourselves. Not worry about who wins besides us. It’s a stupid question and even stupider to consider losing on purpose. If a manager told his players to lose, it would be an insult to any fans watching the game.
It's more a personal thing than a football decision. I don't give a shit from the football perspective what Liverpool do. But having to deal with the numerous Liverpool fans around me will be fecking shite, they won't shut up about it. Conversely I know only a handful of City fans who for the most part are amicable, and at this point, used to winning.

willhse456

I love how it's seen as an option, we won't throw the game but will probably lose as they're the best team in the league. A draw helps no one though so that would be annoying.

Dudu

I reckon we'll probably lose regardless.. but I wouldn't mind one bit.

I'd take Liverpool losing the title over Top 4 any day. It would be too unbearable.

shaky

Sure Arsenal started out with their kids, and now fielding stronger team as they have gotten so far. Europa fixtures after group stages come quick and fast. You only get a 3 day turn around between Thursday and Sunday. It hammers squads at this stage of the season, we still won’t have the depth required at this stage of the season next year.

CL is a bigger cash cow, tends to come with more interest and lesser fixture strain. So I’d prefer to give our all and go for it rather than let City walk all over us just so we can ironically laugh at the scouse for falling short.

Top 4 is minimum the club and fans expect. It’s not rewards or celebration, it’s about getting over the line with a target set and benchmark off that for next season.
I'm not saying we should throw the game, just that I won't be sad when we inevitably get outclassed. Failing to get top 4 would be the leftovers of a problem that we've already fixed, Mourinho, so not much point in getting annoyed by it any more.

IrishRick

Go out to win. I want us to win. If we lose I won't be disappointed. If we draw I'll be gutted. Would do us or City no good to draw

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I'm not saying we should throw the game, just that I won't be sad when we inevitably get outclassed. Failing to get top 4 would be the leftovers of a problem that we've already fixed, Mourinho, so not much point in getting annoyed by it any more.
Cool bud. I’m more commenting on the thread title anyway. My preference is to win all the games we can, whereas others here want us to help City as much as possible, which means potentially lose to City which I don’t agree with at all.