4.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trex

Dele Alli back before all the injuries when he played for Spurs. Pretty much played as a second striker and he had fantastic movement and finishing. They had a couple of seasons under Pochettino with a fantastic team, but zero depth. Their attack was lethal though with Kane, Son, Alli and Eriksen.

But Dele Alli pretty much made a career out of his movement. He would just pop up and score goals out of nowhere. It’s probably also why his career is completely derailed. When your biggest asset is your movement then you are kinda fecked when you lose it to injuries. He just looks slow now. When he was younger he always looked like he was one step faster than the defenders, but now he looks like he is a step behind everyone…
Even then Dele Alli had more to his game, he could strike it from range, he moved around more and got involved in play, he could also carry the ball and wasn't so safe with his passes, but yes movement was big for him.
Thing is I don't even think DVB movement are great compared to Alli or even Bruno.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Hopefully that will unleash Donny. We all know Bruno and Pogba don't have hollywood passes in them.
I can't believe that people are seriously saying that in order to "unleash" DvB, we need players with outrageous passing skill and vision to match his brainless runs. Look at what you're typing.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
So which historical player can you compare him with? I can't seem to relate him to anyone (maybe Lampard without the physique or the drive).
Thomas Müller, though Müller is better at everything. Others are Klaassen or Guus Til, who also both failed outside the Dutch league.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's not in great company!
I forgot Siem de Jong (Luuk de Jong's brother). Was also good at Ajax (scored a brace against City in the CL I think) but failed completely outside his comfort zone.

It's just a type of player that will only succeed of they're all round on a high level like Müller. For Donny (and Davy and Siem etc) they're better than most players at everything in the Dutch league, but in the premier league this allround decentness just turns into allround average with no discernible specialty to make them stand out.

Tony247

I always believe when people discuss an underwhelming player needs X Y Z to happen to unlock his "potential", then the player is simply not good enough. A good player always gives glimps of his talent no matter the system or position.

Look at Darwin Nunez. Even he is playing as a forward and shitting all over, he still showed with that header clearance in opposition box how good defender he is. Something Liverpool fans to cheer upon.

Smart little run and selfless assist. He has his moments and is a smart player. Those, smart little, cameos against Brighton and Newcastle in the early part of 20-21 ( when we were still getting fit) come to mind.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He does the basics right, I think he will be useful in midfield, just don't understand why he's being pushed so high most of the times and why he's considered as AM.

mu4c_20le

He does the basics right, I think he will be useful in midfield, just don't understand why he's being pushed so high most of the times and why he's considered as AM.
Because Erik said thats his best position. He's a pass and go type of running AM just behind the striker

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Because Erik said thats his best position. He's a pass and go type of running AM just behind the striker
But it's not entirely true. He's never played as high up the pitch as the preseason matches(not counting the first 15 minutes of the second half today).
At Ajax he usually was the most attacking midfielder, but never this high.

Sylar

Happy he got the assist. Reckon we could see him used like that where hes next to Fred, especially against teams who sit back where he adds an extra body to allow for movement and one touch football around their box.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
And yet
- all of his best performances when he looked like an actual footballer he played in the middle
- we already have Bruno and Eriksen who will be ahead of van de Beek for AM position

I just don't see the rationale behind playing him in that advanced role. Strange.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Donny played the Scott McTominay role much better than McTominay today. Which was a nice change because he's been pretty anonymous on this tour so far. It may be a product of what he thinks he has to do when playing #8 and #10. In the former position he gets more involved, in the latter he makes more off the ball runs. However, when nobody is picking out those runs he just looks like he's constantly heading up cul-de-sacs.

Mickson

Look at the goal, and that's pretty much what Erik said. He's good in the box, getting inside, opening up space, and that will be needed when we play on the front foot. I agree, though, that both Bruno and Eriksen will get in the team before him.

ti vu

Donny played the Scott McTominay role much better than McTominay today. Which was a nice change because he's been pretty anonymous on this tour so far. It may be a product of what he thinks he has to do when playing #8 and #10. In the former position he gets more involved, in the latter he makes more off the ball runs. However, when nobody is picking out those runs he just looks like he's constantly heading up cul-de-sacs.
DvB is a very system dependent players. With our better players, he is fish in water. Then as soon as the subs came on, DvB disappeared again.

His role is fill in the gap between the system. He may be the best at this in our current midfield option for the system. He's not enforcing any #6, #8, #10 role specially. Without the system, he's no better than our young midfielder.

tomaldinho1

But it's not entirely true. He's never played as high up the pitch as the preseason matches(not counting the first 15 minutes of the second half today).
Yeah he didn't play that high for Ajax, he was like an advanced B2B not a 10.

We have direct competition now for specific roles which is nice i.e. Bruno has competition from a genuinely top level #10 in Eriksen, McT has competition from multiple players. Nice to have a manager who doesn't just see the CMs as a ball recovery workhouse and VDB & Eriksen can both drop into that 8 role if needed (I can see Eriksen being played there against teams that sit deep for example where he'll get a lot of time to conduct) and I'd argue that's VDB's best role anyway.

Teja

Yup this. Everything about our play was better in the first 15 or so minutes of the second half when he replaced McT.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nice run to give Sancho an option, then a really smart pass to pick out Rashford for an easy shot instead of trying to score from a tight angle.

Perfect Hag ball. No surprise he looked better with our first choice forwards on the pitch.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Look at the goal, and that's pretty much what Erik said. He's good in the box, getting inside, opening up space, and that will be needed when we play on the front foot. I agree, though, that both Bruno and Eriksen will get in the team before him.
So basically second striker role, and we already have a bunch of players who are in front of him (you can count in Sancho as well I believe). Why not use him in midfield? It's just weird, if Ten Hag sees his as second striker then he will get even less minutes than under Ole. If he's going to be used, it'll be in midfield.

Abraxas

I wouldn't take loads out of where he played in preseason.

For a start it's not a lot of minutes and the manager probably has to fit players into gaps that allow other players to get minutes. E.g. if he wants to bring Iqbal etc on deep. He probably sees VDB as reasonably flexible.

The key will be whether he actually plays him in meaningful games. I don't see much more than squad filler.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I wouldn't take loads out of where he played in preseason.

For a start it's not a lot of minutes and the manager probably has to fit players into gaps that allow other players to get minutes. E.g. if he wants to bring Iqbal etc on deep. He probably sees VDB as reasonably flexible.

The key will be whether he actually plays him in meaningful games. I don't see much more than squad filler.
He'll play plenty only because we do not have other options, unless the plan is to run McFred into the ground and see what happens between van de Beek, Hannibal and Garner.

Abraxas

He'll play plenty only because we do not have other options, unless the plan is to run McFred into the ground and see what happens between van de Beek, Hannibal and Garner.
I'm not so sure, there will be another midfield signing most likely. Eriksen may play deep. Bruno is a very fit player so that 10 position will not often be available. He'll get some opportunities yes, but there are enough players there that he's not just going to play by default and that's before even getting into the youngsters.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I'm not so sure, there will be another midfield signing most likely. Eriksen may play deep. Bruno is a very fit player so that 10 position will not often be available. He'll get some opportunities yes, but there are enough players there that he's not just going to play by default and that's before even getting into the youngsters.
I highly doubt Eriksen will play deep often, simply because I don't know who can play with him. But even if he does play with one of Fred/McTominay, surely they will rotate. Donny is unlikely to feature in no10 role with Bruno and Eriksen around.

As things stand he is very likely to get a lot of playing time, I don't see how "there are enough players". We might get another midfielder, I don't see any names being mentioned (apart from de Jong), but maybe I missed sth, not following that closely. With youngsters - I don't know what are the plans, and don't think they are ready for first team football but won't argue they have potential.

florisW

Supports
Ajax
Do you think you better than Ten Hag? Who has worked with him for years?

Highfather_24

------Bruno/Eriksen
FDJ/Fred----VDB/McT

All of them will get enough games, its a long season ahead.

Olecurls99

Happy he got the assist. Reckon we could see him used like that where hes next to Fred, especially against teams who sit back where he adds an extra body to allow for movement and one touch football around their box.
That's where I always wanted him to be played. He has the vision, technique and a is a great link up man around the box but he's also great at beating the press in midfield.

He offers himself for the ball, gets stuck in and is good on the ball. Very handy in a Ten Hag midfield.

Last edited:

Abraxas

I highly doubt Eriksen will play deep often, simply because I don't know who can play with him. But even if he does play with one of Fred/McTominay, surely they will rotate. Donny is unlikely to feature in no10 role with Bruno and Eriksen around.

As things stand he is very likely to get a lot of playing time, I don't see how "there are enough players". We might get another midfielder, I don't see any names being mentioned (apart from de Jong), but maybe I missed sth, not following that closely. With youngsters - I don't know what are the plans, and don't think they are ready for first team football but won't argue they have potential.
I think Eriksen is just as capable as Donny of playing deep often. That's not to say I'm a huge fan of the idea until I see it demonstrated, but what has Donny shown that suggests he's any more viable? Eriksen gives a lot of ability to take the ball, I don't know what Donny gives there.

I could say the same thing for the kids too. James Garner has probably done more in English football than Donny has. It's not clear to me that he's a better bet than some of these lads.

I see him getting a go just because ETH will have some faith in him to begin with, but if he plays anything like he has in the past he won't last long. I don't really see him being that key or playing a meaningful role unless he substantially improves.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I always believe when people discuss an underwhelming player needs X Y Z to happen to unlock his "potential", then the player is simply not good enough. A good player always gives glimps of his talent no matter the system or position.

Look at Darwin Nunez. Even he is playing as a forward and shitting all over, he still showed with that header clearance in opposition box how good defender he is. Something Liverpool fans to cheer upon.
Not sure that Darwin Nunez’s defensive header supports your point that well, but kind of agree. Maybe ETH can get something from VDB as a sub, though.

Olecurls99

Why is he being compared to Mctominay who is often the deepest midfielder while Dvb is often the most advanced.
Dvb is like Lingard but without the long rangers, running power, and ball carrying skills.
He's a poacher 10, trying to get tap ins when the opponent are distracted by the other forwards who are more active.
That kind of skill set have very little use, the team would need to be super dominant for him to get mins, like last 10 mins throw everything forward type dominant in a league like the EPL.
Only Muller plays this way among offensive players at top clubs and he is more physical and shows leadership aside from being Bayern golden boy.
Were as Dvb has little personality to go with his limited skill set.
Can we compare him with Mctominay now?

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He has this very accurate on the floor pass which is very nice to see.

he kind of just pings it accurately straight to feet.

ForeverRed1

People saying sell him this season, there’s no reason he can’t be a important piece in this squad. ETH will 100% know how to use him. 1-0 down at wolves, this is the guy who can come in and get in the box and put those precise passes into players feet’s. The pass against palace for the goal showed his vision and eye for finding players in tight spaces in dangerous spots. He will have uses in this team in my opinion and will win us points.

His confidence is shot to pieces though, just watched the interview with him after the game.. it will take abit to build him up imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.