6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SirScholes

Oh don’t get me wrong that’s not the solution. I never said that. I was talking about Cavanis contributions....he hasn’t been brilliant at all. In fact he’s swung at fresh air, missed the biggest sitters of the season and his inclusion for me doesn’t improve the team, it has a detrimental effect on the other two forwards.
This has aged well

Wayne's World

I've watched this man since he was at Palermo in his early days. Not surprised

One of the best strikers I've ever seen for movement in the box, better then any striker I've ever seen at finding space in tight areas and anticipation where the ball is going to go.

Every kid in the world should be watching this man's movement. Currently coaching some under 13's in Ireland and their idols are all Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe etc but I tell them all just watch this man for 90 minutes.

Perfection

When I said, he misses, sometimes, he didn't even connect the ball a few times in the same game from crosses.

Now, I am not saying top strikers do not miss or he is shit.
Salah has missed 1 big chance every 175 mins this season, Vardy 1 per 145 minutes, Cavani 1 per 191 minutes.

Salah is undoubtedly a top striker so...

As I say, we focus too much on our own players missing chances as we watch 90 minutes every game and fail to see Salah missing a big chance every 175 minutes of football.

The United

Salah has missed 1 big chance every 175 mins this season, Vardy 1 per 145 minutes, Cavani 1 per 191 minutes.

Salah is undoubtedly a top striker so...

As I say, we focus too much on our own players missing chances as we watch 90 minutes every game and fail to see Salah missing a big chance every 175 minutes of football.
Well, I don't know about others.

I do think that Salah misses too much. He would drive me crazy if he would play for us. That him being a top forward.

The United

Not me, he’s on 20 PL goals AGAIN. That means he gets himself into positions to score at a ridiculous rate.
It depends on how many chances your team is creating.

With VG and JM, I was getting used to the team making one good chance per half and be frustrated at strikers missing it at times.

He still misses too many chances for a top-class striker.
He's key in creating all those chances. Against weaker opponents we'll usually get enough of them to win relatively comfortable. He might not be the striker you want in a tight CL-final or semifinal, but it's critical element for any team wanting to win the league.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Does the quantity of chances matter in the way they count? Like .64 based on 25 chances and .64 based on 30 chances?

I am not saying that Cavani is shit. I just try to get more information about xG. Sorry though if I give you a bit of trouble as this is not exactly xG discussion thread.
XG is a total evaluating the quantity and quality of chances. So if you have a 100 shots per game from half, it'll add up to pretty much 0.01xG as they're all chances that have pretty much 0xG. A penalty is worth ~ 0.75xG, as roughly 75% of penalties are scored. So basically, the best strikers are the ones who find themselves in quality chances consistently. Not about being clinical off of half chances. All the best goalscorers just keep getting big chances because your movement and ability to get into the positions is pretty much the key attribute, and then as long as you are an average finisher (1 goal for 1 xG over time), you'll rack up the goals. Cavani is generally slightly below, but he's at 96% of his total since 2014/15 which is pretty much there.

Of course, the larger the sample size, the more accurate the info. If you play 1 game and it was a sub and you took a penalty in that time, your season total will be pretty much 0.75xG for the minutes played normalized over 90 minutes (so it'll be something stupidly high). That's why usually it's not that useful to look at below probably 750-1000 minutes, as the variance is too high.

The United

XG is a total evaluating the quantity and quality of chances. So if you have a 100 shots per game from half, it'll add up to pretty much 0.01xG as they're all chances that have pretty much 0xG. A penalty is worth ~ 0.75xG, as roughly 75% of penalties are scored. So basically, the best strikers are the ones who find themselves in quality chances consistently. Not about being clinical off of half chances. All the best goalscorers just keep getting big chances because your movement and ability to get into the positions is pretty much the key attribute, and then as long as you are an average finisher (1 goal for 1 xG over time), you'll rack up the goals. Cavani is generally slightly below, but he's at 96% of his total since 2014/15 which is pretty much there.

Of course, the larger the sample size, the more accurate the info. If you play 1 game and it was a sub and you took a penalty in that time, your season total will be pretty much 0.75xG for the minutes played normalized over 90 minutes (so it'll be something stupidly high). That's why usually it's not that useful to look at below probably 750-1000 minutes, as the variance is too high.
Thanks for the good information.

Paul_Scholes18

I think Cavanis season has not been great overall, but we see tonight what a bloody top player he can be. Many I know complain about him a lot for him wasting chances and being poor with the ball, but his movement is excellent and he can score great goals as well. Shame with his age though cause a young Cavani would be a great striker for us for many years.

The United

We haven't had a player like him in so long, honestly prefer him over Ibrahimovic. Despite Zlatan scoring more goals, I felt he impacted our build-up negatively.
Also, I think Cavani's influence on the team seems to be good.

Whereas Zlatan acted like an idiot with a fake ego at times.

Eternitiy

Love this guy. Great mentor for Greenwood as well. Will be a real shame if he leaves the club without ever playing in front of the fans.

Okey

Just give us one more season Edi. Play in front of the fans. Then you can go off into your sunset. And we can plan our next couple of transfer windows better. Please!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Pay him what he wants
We don't need to pay him whatever he wants. His contract has clause that we can active another year. Once he feels like he wants to stay another year then we will active the clause which consists the same salary.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Top centre forward performance tonight. He’s really been finding his feet after a quite interrupted first half of the season. He, Bruno and Pogba destroyed Roma tonight.

Champagne Football

Pogba and Bruno seems to love playing with Cavani too. Some real bromances going there which is great to see, especially when compared to the toxic reign of Jose where everyone seemed to hate each other, and Lukaku and Alexis looked like they'd rather be anywhere else.

Gonna be an interesting summer. We could be minus Cavani and Pogba come the end of the summer, or they might perhaps decide to stick around. I think Pogba will demand too much to get a new contract, and PSG would be mad not to get him on the cheap considering how well he's playing lately.

tjb

Pogba and Bruno seems to love playing with Cavani too. Some real bromances going there which is great to see, especially when compared to the toxic reign of Jose where everyone seemed to hate each other, and Lukaku and Alexis looked like they'd rather be anywhere else.

Gonna be an interesting summer. We could be minus Cavani and Pogba come the end of the summer, or they might perhaps decide to stick around. I think Pogba will demand too much to get a new contract, and PSG would be mad not to get him on the cheap considering how well he's playing lately.
TBH i feel Lukaku was a top striker for us, just victim of Jose's need for a target man. We could have used hi n ways that didnt expose his poor first touch.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I think he'd stay if we offer him. Where else would he go anyway? the current ManUtd situation is perfect for him. Although the ideal scenario for the club is of course to sign a younger proven goal scorer.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sort of an aside: Hopefully watching him yesterday, Benzema the night before, and just the general performances of the likes of others such as Lewandowski do enough for our fans to stop running the same tired cliches about potential strikers only being good for “x amount of years”. The cerebral prime of a top level central forward cannot be understated.

shahzy

In a grotesque way, martial's injury has actually made us a better team. Because there was no excuse but to play Cavani and we can see what a out and out centre forward brings. And conversely what Martial needs to learn or we need someone new

Giggs86

There will be blood on the streets if he leaves without playing in front of a full Old Trafford.

Someone needs to start a petition for him to stay.

Andre Kagawa

Wasted too many years at PSG. Not even as their main CF, but shunted to the wing. Shame.

RkkMan

Pogba is a Marsellie fan PSG is not an option for him. He said so himself

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I think he'd stay if we offer him. Where else would he go anyway? the current ManUtd situation is perfect for him. Although the ideal scenario for the club is of course to sign a younger proven goal scorer.
Back to South America, closer to his family.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He still misses too many chances for a top-class striker.

But, like people said, hopefully, the likes of Greenwood will learn how to play a CF from him. If he gets some of it with his finishing, Greenwood can be a super player.
This isn't true at all. Top strikers usually make themselves 3/4 chances a match, most only take 1/2 of them at best.

I'd rather he miss 2 and score 2 than just do nothing all game and say it's down to poor service.

Cavani has shown that if you move correctly you will get scoring chances here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
TBH i feel Lukaku was a top striker for us, just victim of Jose's need for a target man. We could have used hi n ways that didnt expose his poor first touch.
That’s a good point. Jose’s obsession with lumping long passes to a big man wasn’t playing to Lukaku’s strengths at all. Cavani would probably have looked just as hopeless.

Godfather

We don't need to pay him whatever he wants. His contract has clause that we can active another year. Once he feels like he wants to stay another year then we will active the clause which consists the same salary.
How dare he isn't all about money and lets other factors like family decide his future!

Devil81

If this is his final season in European football it would be great if he could add his first European trophy to his medal collection.

Wrap him in cotton wool in my opinion as well, we need him fit for May 26th (if we qualify for the final)

This isn't true at all. Top strikers usually make themselves 3/4 chances a match, most only take 1/2 of them at best.

I'd rather he miss 2 and score 2 than just do nothing all game and say it's down to poor service.

Cavani has shown that if you move correctly you will get scoring chances here.
agreed.

He’s scored around 450 goals in his career. If he scored every chance his numbers would be unreal.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
agreed.

He’s scored around 450 goals in his career. If he scored every chance his numbers would be unreal.
People say Lewandowski deserved the Balon D'or last year, there's a video of him missing several big chances across the season. Every striker messes up, but the best just keep on working and getting another and another. He scrored 55 goals in 47 games that season.

Status
Not open for further replies.