Edinson Cavani

Status
Not open for further replies.

bishblaize

Last time I checked Wayne Rooney wasnt the manager. He is also on record a few seasons back saying he knows he will have to adapt his ame and position eventually. Well eventually might be here soon.
You're just trying to find a way to get around actually dealing with the problem at hand.

If we get in the central midfielders that we need this summer then Rooney isn't going to get a look in there either. The fact is that Rooney has been patchy at best when he's played in midfield and has shown very little so suggest that midfield is a natural move for him. As I say, great at the Hollywood stuff, far less good at loads of other things that a CM needs. Assuming we buy midfielders, and buy ones who are half-decent, then he's not going to displace them.

And we're still left with the problem of dealing with all those strikers.

Rooney is a better midfielder than he is a striker these days
Really? I can only think of two appearances all season, vs Bayern away in the last 20 mins when was awful and I vaguely remember a league game where he dropped in there. I think we were down to 10 men, but can't recall the game.

stepic

This makes no sense, literally zero, nada.

For the money we're quoted to be willing to spend on Cavani, we can have almost any central midfielder in the world - the position we've been deficient in for years now. But no, we have to spunk it on the one position we're actually covered in.

Can someone explain what I'm missing? Or are we just trippin balls?
signing Cavani won't be at the expense of midfielders or other areas of the team. there's no way Woodward is that stupid.

i'd be very happy if we sign this guy, in addition to the required support in defense, midfield and out wide.

binary bot
This makes no sense, literally zero, nada.

For the money we're quoted to be willing to spend on Cavani, we can have almost any central midfielder in the world - the position we've been deficient in for years now. But no, we have to spunk it on the one position we're actually covered in.

Can someone explain what I'm missing? Or are we just trippin balls?
You're missing the fact that it's probably just the clubs PR department. David Moyes gets sacked, the next day Cavani is a target once again. Throw enough football manager-esque transfer stories about and hope everyone forgets about anything else happening at the club. The stories referencing Cavani all seem to be in the style of the articles where it's evident the club is briefing the journalists. We seem to get a lot of them now.

Kaos

signing Cavani won't be at the expense of midfielders or other areas of the team. there's no way Woodward is that stupid.

i'd be very happy if we sign this guy, in addition to the required support in defense, midfield and out wide.
We still have a budget which is reportedly in the region of £100-150million and we have substantial amount of positions we need strengthening - midfield (badly), the wing, LB and probably even CB - you're looking at around at least 4 if not 5 players when you factor in the fact we'll probably need two midfielders. What logic is there then in spunking half the war chest on a position we're very well stacked in? It'd be like spending £40million on Iker Casillas...so utterly pointless and unnecessary.

Mister Ed

I'd take Cavani to lead our line over RVP and Rooney in a hearthbeat, but I wouldn't want us to splash £50-£60m on him just to make our team even more inbalanced or see it being used as an excuse for not bringing in midfielders and defenders which are more than overdue right now.

Brining in Cavani, I like, but I want to see it go hand in hand with one of RVP or Rooney leaving and I want to see enough budget remaining to bring in atleast a LB, CB, 2 midfielders and a a winger if possible. If bringing in Cavani means we won't get any of these positions not sorted or if it means a lign up where we try to force RVP, Rooney and Cavani playing together I don't want him.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I do not know why we can not hone Welbeck's ability to become the next Cavani. Welbeck has the same body stature(however, Welbeck is more stronger and faster), better technical ability, and if this season is anything to go by, he has shown improvement in his finishing. In the last game against Norwich we saw two Cavani-esque power striker from him that if it was inches elsewhere, we would have been raving about his potential. The foundation is there, he just needs more consistent gametime.

The United way is not to be like a galactos and sign star players just for the sake of it. We have Welbeck, Wilson and maybe Keane/Henriquez coming through who can prove to be better alternative. Beit, Rooney inconsistency and mentality may be a problem in the future and Van Persie has shown to be injury prone, adding Cavani now would just disrupt squad balance. He would have been a great addition if two of our strikers left, but at the moment it looks like a ploy to lure other potential suitors.

stepic

We still have a budget which is reportedly in the region of £100-150million and we have substantial amount of positions we need strengthening - midfield (badly), the wing, LB and probably even CB - you're looking at around at least 4 if not 5 players when you factor in the fact we'll probably need two midfielders. What logic is there then in spunking half the war chest on a position we're very well stacked in? It'd be like spending £40million on Iker Casillas...so utterly pointless and unnecessary.
i agree that we should be prioritising all other areas first. it's hard to know what the actual budget will be, plus it's hard to know how achievable signing our targets will be. we may say we want to spend £40m on Kroos, £40m on Reus, £35m on Carvalho or Fabregas, but if we have a repeat of last year, we will have to then target secondary, less expensive options. maybe that's why Woodward has Cavani in the back of his mind, in case we strike out on our top targets. that would likely leave more in the bank and he could still have his "star" signing, albeit in a position we don't really need. i read somewhere that unlike last year we will have 2 or 3 backup players for each position of need, in case we do strike out.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
You're just trying to find a way to get around actually dealing with the problem at hand.

If we get in the central midfielders that we need this summer then Rooney isn't going to get a look in there either. The fact is that Rooney has been patchy at best when he's played in midfield and has shown very little so suggest that midfield is a natural move for him. As I say, great at the Hollywood stuff, far less good at loads of other things that a CM needs. Assuming we buy midfielders, and buy ones who are half-decent, then he's not going to displace them.

And we're still left with the problem of dealing with all those strikers.

Really? I can only think of two appearances all season, vs Bayern away in the last 20 mins when was awful and I vaguely remember a league game where he dropped in there. I think we were down to 10 men, but can't recall the game.
Remember Rooneys pass for RVP's volley against Villa from the middle of the park that practically won us the title last year? Yes?
Thats why Rooney can play further back. Fck it now I want us to buy Cavani AND another striker just to annoy you

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Remember Rooneys pass for RVP's volley against Villa from the middle of the park that practically won us the title last year? Y
Thats why Rooney can play further back. Fck it I want us to buy Cavani AND another striker just to annoy you
It isn't Rooney's hollywood passes he need's to work on, it's his ball retention when pressed and his first touch. You can't afford to lose the ball with a sloppy first touch when deep in midfield. Sure his passing range is probably the best in the team right now apart from Carrick or Giggs, but he has a LOT more to work on if we want him to be in midfield regularly IMO.

Ramshock

It isn't Rooney's hollywood passes he need's to work on, it's his ball retention when pressed and his first touch. You can't afford to lose the ball with a sloppy first touch when deep in midfield. Sure his passing range is probably the best in the team right now apart from Carrick or Giggs, but he has a LOT more to work on if we want him to be in midfield regularly IMO.
Well its a good job we are about to appoint a manager who loves to work on passing and ball retention isnt it?

bishblaize

Remember Rooneys pass for RVP's volley against Villa from the middle of the park that practically won us the title last year? Yes?
Thats why Rooney can play further back. Fck it now I want us to buy Cavani AND another striker just to annoy you
Remember when O'Shea chipped Almunia? The measure of a player is not in the excellence that comes rarely, but the excellence that comes regularly. Right now his all round game in central midfield is just way too patchy to be considered as a first choice midfielder at United. Flashes of brilliance don't make up for regular basic errors.

Certainly what is true is that Cavani is not a lot better than Rooney, if at all, while Rooney in midfield is a lot worse than we should be aiming for. However you square it the team is worse off as a whole.

stepic

as a 9, i think Cavani is a lot better than Rooney. Rooney is probably better as an overall player, in that he can also play deeper, but imo that's what messes up the team structure overall.

Ramshock

Remember when O'Shea chipped Almunia? The measure of a player is not in the excellence that comes rarely, but the excellence that comes regularly. Right now his all round game in central midfield is just way too patchy to be considered as a first choice midfielder at United. Flashes of brilliance don't make up for regular basic errors.

Certainly what is true is that Cavani is not a lot better than Rooney, if at all, while Rooney in midfield is a lot worse than we should be aiming for. However you square it the team is worse off as a whole.
Yeah you are coming off as desperate now. Lets just see what happens eh?

stevoc

Good news if true, these Cavani rumours are fecking bonkers and its worrying me that they won't go away. Last position we need to spunk £60 million on for a 28 year old striker.

Would be mental to have Rooney, Van Persie, Hernandez, Welbeck, Mata, Kagawa, and add Cavani for just two positions. I suspect this was maybe a deal Moyes lined up since if rumours are to be believed he managed to piss all our strikers off to the point where they wanted to leave, bar Rooney of course.

stevoc

we can certainly channel that money to areas we need. But I think Hernandez is done...or will he change his mind with Van Gaal coming?
Who knows strong rumours all season he wanted out, if he was thinking about giving it another year under the new manager these Cavani rumours will probably make his mind up for him whether we end up signing him or not.

Even then we could probably do with off loading a striker anyway, i think Van Gaal sets his teams up with one striker mostly. Can't see RVP leaving now ditto Welback & Rooney so 3 strikers should be enough to compete for one spot so Hernandez might be better off moving on.

ricky-romeo

great striker and i would had sanction a move for him last summer if we were really interested in him back then, especially with reports that rooney is unhappy and might be leaving and so on. not sure whether he is performing that well this season as he has been force to play a bit wider than he had liked because blanc has to accommodate zlatan as the main forward, but he still get a fair share of number of goals into his name.

i think it is much better for us to spend time and money strengthening our midfield and defense first and foremost. and given the number of strikers that we've already got, i don't think it is wise to spend 50 or 60 million on another striker, unless you are talking about someone like ronaldo or messi of course.

unless one or two of our strikers are leaving ( if van gaal joins then it is 99.99999% sure van persie will stay. that leaves with rooney, who had just signed a new bumper deal contract and if he is going to be unhappy with van gaal then it will probably take a year to surface, leaves us with welbeck who could attract interest from mid table teams in the league and of course hernandez who can join any spanish team and will score 25-30 goals a season there) then i can see the sense in signing cavani.

anyway 35 million max for a 27 year old striker, man i feel old , i am a month older than this guy.

RedorDead21

Well its a good job we are about to appoint a manager who loves to work on passing and ball retention isnt it?
And who hates players who so much as sneeze out of line....RVP will be his main striker and from that moment on you will see a decline in Rooney's relationship with the club once again for the third time.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Don't understand this. Don't need him. Don't want him. Spend the money on the areas we need to strengthen for feck sake.

JazzG

Resident Arse.
Potentially world class signing, but his mercenary side is a worry. Clearly followed the money to PSG
Unlike some of your players like Rooney? Also PSG were the only club willing to pay his release clause, he asked Napoli to sell him cheaper but they wanted the full amount. A few clubs showed interest but weren't prepared to pay £57m or whatever he went for. PSG was the only club he could join rather than him choosing them for the money

NoLogo

Spending our money again on an area of the squad that is already very well off makes absolutely no sense. Can't really see that deal happening I think the press is just desperate to make up stories about a big money move for us as they know some of our fans are hoping for it.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Spending our money again on an area of the squad that is already very well off makes absolutely no sense. Can't really see that deal happening I think the press is just desperate to make up stories about a big money move for us as they know some of our fans are hoping for it.
I could have seen him being a target if RVP was to go... but it seems since the manager left and van gaal has been linked that the RVP stories that he wants out have stopped.

No way he would want to come unless he was a starter and from the reports in france presumably a starter up front through the middle so I just dont see him here.

That said I think he would be good in the premier league and at Chelsea, Asrenal (or liverpool should suarez go) I think he would be a great success plus he would get cl football and more likely to play in the system / formation he likes

Kaos

And who hates players who so much as sneeze out of line....RVP will be his main striker and from that moment on you will see a decline in Rooney's relationship with the club once again for the third time.
In which case our scouse granny shagger is welcome to finally feck off and go hold someone like PSG to ransom.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
If you see some of the interviews Van Gaal says he likes a second striker playing deeper capable of getting 20 goals a season like litmanen and bergkamp did - I certainly cant see mata or kagawa doing that but perhaps they can under the right circumstances / set up?
So it is quite possible that rooney could play that role and that he and rvp would both flourish under van gaal - lets just wait and see firstly if they appoint him, then who stays / goes over the summer, then who he picks and then how they perform before writing off one of our most talented players

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
For whatever it's worth, Richard Keys just said on his radio show that the deal has been agreed for a while. It's just whether or not our new management team want the move to go ahead now.

Yeah, I know. Richard Keys.

Adebesi

It does look like a very likely course of events if Van Gaal comes doesn't it.

I think he would be good in the premier league and at Chelsea, Asrenal (or liverpool should suarez go) I think he would be a great success plus he would get cl football and more likely to play in the system / formation he likes
Mourinho is crying out for a striker, that would make a lot more sense though of course he might have his eye on someone else.

RedorDead21

If you see some of the interviews Van Gaal says he likes a second striker playing deeper capable of getting 20 goals a season like litmanen and bergkamp did - I certainly cant see mata or kagawa doing that but perhaps they can under the right circumstances / set up?
So it is quite possible that rooney could play that role and that he and rvp would both flourish under van gaal - lets just wait and see firstly if they appoint him, then who stays / goes over the summer, then who he picks and then how they perform before writing off one of our most talented players
Adnan will be that second striker just wait and see......a boy who reminded me of Bergkamp like few others in his early games this season and his goals. Call me daft but I really think this is his future position....

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Adnan will be that second striker just wait and see......a boy who reminded me of Bergkamp like few others in his early games this season and his goals. Call me daft but I really think this is his future position....
possibly but next season might be a bit soon to see him getting that many goals but over a few seasons I hope that like ronaldo that side of his game develops

Gerald G

Imagine having great attackers and an awful midfield yet thinking you need a 'superstar' striker. Unbelievable this. I hope PSG turn down any bids that we make. Woodward is an absolute clown.

Sam

MancFanFromManc

RedCafe Ninja. Stalks the forum undercover, then w
Unlike some of your players like Rooney? Also PSG were the only club willing to pay his release clause, he asked Napoli to sell him cheaper but they wanted the full amount. A few clubs showed interest but weren't prepared to pay £57m or whatever he went for. PSG was the only club he could join rather than him choosing them for the money
Okay. Good to know. I'm encouraged by that. Cant deny he'd be an extremely exciting signing, just need to know he'd give it his all if he came

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I wonder that since these rumours continue to remain, that Rooney may actually be heading out the door with one of Welbeck and Hernandez? A few reports keep saying that he won't work well under van Gaal (not so sure why), so perhaps this is making more sense as a signing. If he is absolutely nailed on to stay then it will continue to make little sense however.

Status
Not open for further replies.