Edinson Cavani

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManUtd43vr

Okay so let's say Utd and Chelsea are after Diego Costa. Utd pretend to be after Cavani as a smoke screen. How does this help us get Diego Costa?
I gave really bad examples earlier. Anyways, it is more to do with getting lowkey targets and not starting a bidding war for them. And no one really knows such methods are actually used or not. I concede I am not sure about this. I have just read about such smokescreen targets and I am unable to recall one target which was reported to be a United priority and at the end of the window, we signed somebody else and Fergie dismissed all reports as bullshit. I will get back with the name.

starman

I know its not the "United way", but given our personal, or possible personal, i would like us to try this

........Jones...Smalling......Evans
..Raf......Kross......Carvalho ....Coentrao
..........Mata.....Rooney....
...............Cavani............

Adebesi

First of all, both Rooney and rvp are far better players. Second of all, we should look to play with 2 strikers anyway, given we have mata and kagawa to choose from in the #10 position, meaning we use 1 striker. We also have welbeck and Hernandez. Now unless all of our strikers are leaving, which they aren't, why the feck are we going for him? Would cost over £50m and I wouldn't even want him at united even if he was £10m. There's just no need for him at all. We need 2 midfielders, a left back, a center back, a back up right back, and wingers all before we buy another striker. Literally every other position needs strengthening more then a striker and yet we look like we'll sign a striker. What the hell is wrong with the people in charge of transfers at this club :lol:
I agree with every word of this, it sums up my feelings about this perfectly. Someone mentioned he might be better than Rooney, I haven't seen enough of him to get into that really but given the deal we signed with Rooney it's really neither here nor there, Rooney isn't going anywhere. It's really impossible to see where another striker is going to fit into this squad. As Bosnian said, literally every outfield position is weaker than striker for us, strengthening in that position is a huge waste of money. I just don't understand it unless RVP is leaving. And I don't see why he of all people would leave if Van Gaal is coming.

It's a mystery.

stepic

I agree he isn't necessary. But, as long as the other areas of the squad are also strengthened, he would add something to he starting 11. He's a better number 9 than Rooney, he's far better than Welbeck and Hernandez, and RVP at this stage of his career is borderline unreliable in terms of fitness.

Kag

No local reporter has mentioned that Van Gaal actively wants him here, which I'm taking as good news.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Cavani would just be bizarre all round. Astronomical fee, in the one position we're massively stacked in.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm still not sure who we're supposed to be fooling. If we wanted a player would we not just go and bid for him?
Come on mate, it's all smoke and mirrors.

If you're blatant about who you want, Chelsea and City just come out and gazump you. Remember Robben, Ballack and a sh!Tload of other examples over the years?

ZDwyr

I've been (angry and) confused by the Cavani rumours. Just makes no sense whatsoever. Hopefully it's all paper talk though. Would be disappointed if we signed him. Not because he isn't a good player, just doesn't fit as we already have lots of strikers.

LR7

I don't believe our interest is genuine. I was suspicious since Daniel Taylor reported it a couple of weeks ago. We seemed to have offered the information far too freely.

I hope it's bullshit anyway because it makes no sense whatsoever. If we were going for any PSG player I'd rather it was Lucas Moura.

Plugsy

Or it could that it's been identified as our lowest scoring season in many years and RvP has only managed 25 games so far this year

Kaos

This makes no sense, literally zero, nada.

For the money we're quoted to be willing to spend on Cavani, we can have almost any central midfielder in the world - the position we've been deficient in for years now. But no, we have to spunk it on the one position we're actually covered in.

Can someone explain what I'm missing? Or are we just trippin balls?

Adebesi

Or it could that it's been identified as our lowest scoring season in many years and RvP has only managed 25 games so far this year
True but still, you can only fit so many players into a team, if we sign Cavani then we are going to end up with some very expensive people sitting on the bench. We already have problems accommodating our attacking players.

Plus, its less obvious but I have been of the opinion all season that we would be scoring more goals if only we had a stronger midfield. The quality of our strikeforce isnt the problem.

Or Im completely wrong.

Plugsy

True but still, you can only fit so many players into a team, if we sign Cavani then we are going to end up with some very expensive people sitting on the bench. We already have problems accommodating our attacking players.

Plus, its less obvious but I have been of the opinion all season that we would be scoring more goals if only we had a stronger midfield. The quality of our strikeforce isnt the problem.

Or Im completely wrong.
I don't know, Rooney's role as a forward has always seemed doubtful to me. Successive (if we can use that now) managers have employed him often far deeper than perhaps even he would like so maybe that's the long-term plan.

If you look at the top 3 goal scorers at our rivals their combined totals domestically

Real Madrid: 61
Liverpool: 63
City: 47
Barcelona: 59
United: 37

Yes Chelsea have fewer but their goals are more spread throughout the team than ours and that's just how Jose is.

Adebesi

We are obviously very low there but we've had a horrible season, for me its an anomaly. Also, like I said, I believe its a result of problems in our midfield.

I dont disagree though, Rooney dropping into midfield is a very plausible outcome. There are plenty of threads where this has been discussed to death and Ive always thought it sounded like a very reasonable idea, I know some people say his control isnt good enough and his positional discipline isnt good enough but I think his other attributes make up for it, especially if he has the right person next to him. So yes, you may be right. And if that is the plan then yes, the Cavani deal makes more sense. Will still be hard keeping everyone happy though, especially without CL football. But I guess that is a better problem for a manager to have than being short of quality.

IhabX7

He was superb at Napoli, but I haven't seen much of him since the PSG move.

bishblaize

I dont disagree though, Rooney dropping into midfield is a very plausible outcome. There are plenty of threads where this has been discussed to death and Ive always thought it sounded like a very reasonable idea, I know some people say his control isnt good enough and his positional discipline isnt good enough but I think his other attributes make up for it, especially if he has the right person next to him.
Honestly, I think we're past trying Rooney in midfield. We've tried it on and off since about 2006 and its never really worked. He's fine at the Hollywood stuff, but there are too many deficiencies for that to be a viable career option. If Cavani comes then it must mean selling either Rooney or RvP (or both).

Adebesi

Possibly. As I said that conversation has been done to death and that is a position a lot of people would agree with. Many others have said it will happen later in his career.

But Im inclined to agree, as I originally said, if Cavani comes then my guess is Rooney will leave, as opposed to RVP - assuming it is Van Gaal who comes in. I think Rooney could be a decent midfielder but on the wages he's on you'd imagine we would want someone playing in his optimal position.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
The only way this makes sense is that Woodward has his finance hat on and thinks this is a signing to bring in cash.

I have to say from a general support and wider audience its exciting for them even if it makes no sense to us lot who think about squad depth, who plays and formations.

Kaos

The only way this makes sense is that Woodward has his finance hat on and thinks this is a signing to bring in cash.

I have to say from a general support and wider audience its exciting for them even if it makes no sense to us lot who think about squad depth, who plays and formations.
I'd wager that signing Reus would have a bigger impact on our overall stardom and fan excitement levels. And he'd actually improve us substantially.

acnumber9

Come on mate, it's all smoke and mirrors.

If you're blatant about who you want, Chelsea and City just come out and gazump you. Remember Robben, Ballack and a sh!Tload of other examples over the years?
You'd think football clubs had no way of communicating with each other. Do you really think the only way Chelsea or City find out Utd are after a player is when they pick up The Sun?

Deleted member 78215

We should be going for Lavezzi, he's Di Maria-esque. Works hard, very quick, very talented.

Plugsy

I don't get the downer. Admittedly I don't watch much French football but his goal-scoring record is excellent. If we were signng someone who'd scored 10 a season for the last few years I'd understand but for 10 years he's averaged better than a goal every other game.

Plugsy

Cavanis goal ratio is 1 every 1.8 games even this season when people are saying he has been poor. I dont understand the distaste for him
Yeah 1 in 1.8 has been what he's been at for a decade. The last four years it's 1 in 1.3, which is astonishing, even for someone who looks like a mean Jesus

bishblaize

I don't get the downer. Admittedly I don't watch much French football but his goal-scoring record is excellent. If we were signng someone who'd scored 10 a season for the last few years I'd understand but for 10 years he's averaged better than a goal every other game.
Its not that he's not a good player. He's a great striker to watch. Its just inconceivable that we would buy a £60M striker when we have four strikers already, two of whom are just as good as he is. It'd be like spending a lot of money buying a world class goalkeeper to compete with De Gea. It creates more problems than it solves.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Its not that he's not a good player. He's a great striker to watch. Its just inconceivable that we would buy a £60M striker when we have four strikers already, two of whom are just as good as he is. It'd be like spending a lot of money buying a world class goalkeeper to compete with De Gea. It creates more problems than it solves.
Rooney is getting slower and RVP is a hamstring away from 6 weeks out at any given time. Welbeck has jelly for ankles and Hernandez, as much as I love him, hasnt got to grips with the physicality of the game after a few years of being here. Theres your answer.

bishblaize

Rooney is getting slower and RVP is a hamstring away from 6 weeks out at any given time. Welbeck has jelly for ankles and Hernandez, as much as I love him, hasnt got to grips with the physicality of the game after a few years of being here. Theres your answer.
Fine, but it means you're going to sell some of those four.

Ramshock

Fine, but it means you're going to sell some of those four.
Rooney will be a midfielder sooner or later. Hernandez I dont expect to be here after the summer. DJ Jazzy Jeff I guarantee will still be collapsing over his bootlaces next season because he has been anointed Manc golden child. I imagine Rooney, Cavani, Mata and RVP in some sort of combo would be fun to have.

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I guess that the staff are looking at Robin Van Persie and see one of footballs greatest crocks who will be 31 when the season starts. Rooney picks up his fair share of injuries too. I think that Hernandez will be on the way out and Welbeck is, well, Welbeck.

I think that the club will be eager to strike a deal with a 'world class' player when the opportunity arises as it is not easy to get that calibre of player.

Will Cavani help us get into the top 4? Yes!

bishblaize

Rooney will be a midfielder sooner or later. Hernandez I dont expect to be here after the summer. DJ Jazzy Jeff I guarantee will still be collapsing over his bootlaces next season because he has been anointed Manc golden child. I imagine Rooney, Cavani, Mata and RVP in some sort of combo would be fun to have.
Wishful thinking. You can't just stack good players and hope it works out for the best. You need a clear idea of how they're going to be used.

And Rooney has made it crystal clear what he thinks of playing in midfield, so that's a total non-starter.

Ramshock

Wishful thinking. You can't just stack good players and hope it works out for the best. You need a clear idea of how they're going to be used.

And Rooney has made it crystal clear what he thinks of playing in midfield, so that's a total non-starter.
Last time I checked Wayne Rooney wasnt the manager. He is also on record a few seasons back saying he knows he will have to adapt his ame and position eventually. Well eventually might be here soon.

Plugsy

RVP probably won't play a full season for us again like last year where we got nearly 50 games from him.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information

He only complained at contract renewal time. Its possible that it was just a negotiating tactic.

Adebesi

You dont fork out that kind of money on the basis that the strikers you have are injury prone. If you want to cover your back you get a young player with potential who can be left on the bench a fair bit without causing too many problems, or a journeyman getting towards the end of his career who will have a similar attitude. Or if you are a little more worried about the health of your existing players than that, and you need someone at Cavani's level because you expect him to play a lot, then you sell one of these injury prone galacticos to make room, if you think you'll be paying someone massive wages and they wont be available. You have to make a call one way or the other, you cant just have legions of people on massive wages and hope some of them get injured at opportune moments so you can keep them all happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.