Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bailly will be a starter for us.

I think he'll be our best defender next year. Smalling is wildy over-rated. I'd like us to sign an experienced leader to play next to him.
We heard you the first 50-odd times, pal.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I must have been watching a different game I think. Didn't think he was overly impressive on today's display.

m1y2

Lvg has gotten to you

We dont need a ball playing pique esque defender against minnow. That's what the midfielders are.

I'd take a strong solid back door and let the mf/fw deal with scoring
well you could do with one or two and ppl will agree, right now we have past it Carrick and very young Pereira, opening opposition up that sits deep can be very difficult without a playmaker, it doesn't need to be from the very back but you need at least one in the team or you might struggle, it's not like we are gonna press all over the pitch, it was never Jose's style...

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I must have been watching a different game I think. Didn't think he was overly impressive on today's display.
I don't really know how anyone could judge really with the terrible defending from Jones and Rojo (not a slight on Jones btw, he's unfit, no time to judge just yet) and poor keeping from Johnstone. Their players were all over us as a unit and had much better fitness levels. I think Bailly played alright but he couldn't plug all the gaps that were appearing so hard to say whether he was actually good.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Thought he was our best player today. He's far from perfect, but is a very promising player. Has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the world.

m1y2

I'd definitely sign another defender. Smalling was very suspect near the end of the season. He's good but He needs to be kept on his toes.

With Bailly going to the Afcon ,another defender won't hurt. Jones and Rojo aren't really defenders
suspect? he was still very good with occasional mistake but that can happen in the team that never looked solid, especially with darmian/Valencia/varela/rojo or other youngsters in the back including midfilder Blind... He still did decent job despite being the only defender there, and I am not even talking about the defensive midfield...

Smalling will be colossus under Jose that's for sure, center back would come in handy but we could do something with that right hand side too, think we will asses this in january, during the african cup we might use one of Jones/Rojo who can still up their game under Mou or Blind if we bring someone in than we need to ship someout first, there is too many center backs in the team, not really depth in quality though...

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I don't really know how anyone could judge really with the terrible defending from Jones and Rojo (not a slight on Jones btw, he's unfit, no time to judge just yet) and poor keeping from Johnstone. Their players were all over us as a unit and had much better fitness levels. I think Bailly played alright but he couldn't plug all the gaps that were appearing so hard to say whether he was actually good.
I'd agree with that. Obviously, way too early to be judging him. Just came on here and saw people calling him our best defender and even comparisons to Vidic.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thought he was our best player today. He's far from perfect, but is a very promising player. Has the potential to be one of the best defenders in the world.
Based on two preseason games? Or have you seen him a lot? Seems a bit excessive even if I like the kid.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Based on two preseason games? Or have you seen him a lot? Seems a bit excessive even if I like the kid.
Not a "lot", but saw him a few times for Villarreal last season.

I agree that I jumped the gun a bit with my last sentence and it's more wishful thinking than anything else right now, but I think his aggressiveness and ability to time his tackles will take him far, especially in the Premier League.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
suspect? he was still very good with occasional mistake but that can happen in the team that never looked solid, especially with darmian/Valencia/varela/rojo or other youngsters in the back including midfilder Blind... He still did decent job despite being the only defender there, and I am not even talking about the defensive midfield...

Smalling will be colossus under Jose that's for sure, center back would come in handy but we could do something with that right hand side too, think we will asses this in january, during the african cup we might use one of Jones/Rojo who can still up their game under Mou or Blind if we bring someone in than we need to ship someout first, there is too many center backs in the team, not really depth in quality though...
The mistakes Smalling made were solely on him not anyone else you mentioned.

And it was crucial mistakes too that we luckily weren't punished for. He's not a bad defender but he's shouldn't be a mainstay without any competition .

As for Jones and Rojo ,they are simply not United quality. Giving them more time doesn't turn poor players into good.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
I don't understand why some people are saying he didn't do good. He and Shaw were the only two people in defence that did well and the goals came from errors from other players. If it wasn't for Rojo/Jones/Johnstone/Valencia being so crap we would be praising him much more.

He easily contained the fastest player in the world one on one which not many can do. It's clear he's a level above all of our centre backs apart from Smalling.

Acole9

Outstanding
He's definitely a work in progress but early signs are very promising indeed. He's calm on the ball and puts himself about which we haven't had up the back for a while.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Quite surprised by his on the ball skills - he looked quite rush and suspect in that regard from what I've seen him in Spain. But Mourinho praised him for that and he looks like a quite cultured defender.

His physicality and pace were never a question. Now to see how he will handle mentally. Looks very promising!

ottosec

Quite surprised by his on the ball skills - he looked quite rush and suspect in that regard from what I've seen him in Spain. But Mourinho praised him for that and he looks like a quite cultured defender.

His physicality and pace were never a question. Now to see how he will handle mentally. Looks very promising!
I was just going to post the same thing. I thought he was a little bit of a hothead, but he looked very composed in the 2 games he played so far.

JackXX

I really like him so far. Dealt with Aubameyang well. Also seems v confident on the ball and quick. If there was one criticism he needs to be a little careful running out with the ball from the back. There's times to do it as a CB.

Loublaze

ATLien
Bailly is one of Mourinho's 4 primary signings, i.e. starters. He'll start.

He believes Bailly is technically and physically very good and goes on to say its his job to help him adapt playing for a big club, which only comes from playing regularly.

Like any other signing there is risk to this as well. He may fail to adapt but he'll be first choice from the start.
Okay...but there's nothing in this that even remotely suggests that he'll be United's main CB

Loublaze

ATLien
Where does he say he'll be 'main' cb?
This conversation started in the transfer forum, the Koulibaly thread, brought it here to avoid derailing it.

Bailly is our main centreback, for feck sake stop putting him on RB in your mind. He will end up better than Koulibaly anyway.
Im assuming SB_16's response was backing that assertion. It appears that way hence my response

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Whether he's the main CB or a starting CB is a much of muchness really. Both CBs should be of similar quality and competence.

Nickosaur

This conversation started in the transfer forum, the Koulibaly thread, brought it here to avoid derailing it.

Im assuming SB_16's response was backing that assertion. It appears that way hence my response
Fair enough. Strange comment then. Certainly think he'll be first choice but how do you define a main CB anyway? As long as they work as a partnership who cares?

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Will he be buggering off too the African cup of nations when it comes round?

The red panther

princess transfer emo
I'am almost certain Bailly will make more minutes than Smalling under Mourinho, he'll be one of the first names on his teamsheets. I call that the main CB.

I know Smalling was the main CB last year and it is early to suggest otherwise but I have seen enough off Bailly already and how Mourinho's eyes light up when he speaks about him that I know this guy will be his main CB and not Smalling anymore. I think Smalling will play alot next to Bailly but his main choice, his prefered CB will be Bailly.

Loublaze

ATLien
Fair enough. Strange comment then. Certainly think he'll be first choice but how do you define a main CB anyway? As long as they work as a partnership who cares?
Im assuming it means first name on the teamsheet at the back, with revolving partners

Loublaze

ATLien
I'am almost certain Bailly will make more minutes than Smalling under Mourinho, he'll be one of the first names on his teamsheets. I call that the main CB.

I know Smalling was the main CB last year and it is early to suggest otherwise but I have seen enough off Bailly already and how Mourinho's eyes light up when he speaks about him that I know this guy will be his main CB and not Smalling anymore. I think Smalling will play alot next to Bailly but his main choice, his prefered CB will be Bailly.
Fair enough if that's your prediction, but Smalling hasn't even played for Mourinho yet. You shouldn't get carried away with what managers say about players in preseason. If Bailly struggles to adapt quickly in actual league football he may find himself on the bench sooner and longer than you think, but Im confident he'll do well.

Sb_16

Okay...but there's nothing in this that even remotely suggests that he'll be United's main CB
Mourinho said he is very good, i.e already good now. If he was bought to be a squad option, he'd probably had said something like, he's still young and developing.

The red panther

princess transfer emo
Fair enough if that's your prediction, but Smalling hasn't even played for Mourinho yet. You shouldn't get carried away with what managers say about players in preseason. If Bailly struggles to adapt quickly in actual league football he may find himself on the bench sooner and longer than you think, but Im confident he'll do well.
I am confident aswell, not just because if how Mourinho talks about him but also because I think he is a much beter player than Smalling.

Man Utd 5:2 Galatasaray (Pre-season)

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Impressive from the little I've seen of him. Hopefully Smalling will be fit soon to partner him.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Needs to learn when to play and when to just put his foot through it, could see him landing himself in trouble in the PL otherwise.

Sylar

Odd to praise a defender when youre conceding goals but I dont think he did much wrong. Not sure what happened for the goal we conceded on the set piece, but thats been United for a while now. Need to work on that badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.