Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Was playing very well until he got possessed by the devil for a minute.. I think his issues could be ironed out easily.

jeffon

Oh man gutted for him, he was playing will until the injury, hope we keep him get Rio or Vidic to work with him Tuanzebe, Lindelof in the off season.

ash_86

The difference betteen him and smalling on pitch and how it affects we move the ball from back was night and day. We were comfortable passing out from back today

Canagel

The difference betteen him and smalling on pitch and how it affects we move the ball from back was night and day. We were comfortable passing out from back today
His passing through the lines and composure is very underrated. And he helped us to defend higher on the pitch.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Can't be relied on, constantly injured.
Also always, without fail, makes a game-changing mistake every single match. Lucky to not get sent off. Such an unstable player, the kind that you don't win cups unless you're lucky that he happens not to cost you.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
100% aerial duels won is a fancy way of saying "beat Higuain in the air once".
100% tackles won is a fancy way of saying "He was lucky to not be sent off for 1 of his 3 tackles deemed successful".
6 ball recoveries is below his average (7). By comparison Lindelöf has 9 and Smalling 10.

He had a good game apart from when he should have been sent off and he was especially good in possession, but don't take stats precented like this at face value.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
100% tackles won is a fancy way of saying "He was lucky to not be sent off for 1 of his 3 tackles deemed successful".
6 ball recoveries is below his average (7). By comparison Lindelöf has 9 and Smalling 10.

He had a good game apart from when he should have been sent off and he was especially good in possession, but don't take stats precented like this at face value.
Yeah. Definitely attribute random meanings to them, though. That's better than accepting stats as they are.

ricky-romeo

Was playing very well until he got possessed by the devil for a minute.. I think his issues could be ironed out easily.
the story of Eric Bailly. he can be so good for 89 minutes and 59 seconds but it will take him only a second to do something reckless or stupid.

still that stat above that him and Lindelof are 15 yards higher than when Lindelof-Smalling are playing is a testament of how good a footballer Bailly is , especially when he is not being possessed.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
the story of Eric Bailly. he can be so good for 89 minutes and 59 seconds but it will take him only a second to do something reckless or stupid.

still that stat above that him and Lindelof are 15 yards higher than when Lindelof-Smalling are playing is a testament of how good a footballer Bailly is , especially when he is not being possessed.
Good point mate.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

I'm sure he won at least one header in the opposing box and almost scored from it.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
His passing through the lines and composure is very underrated. And he helped us to defend higher on the pitch.

Good points bro.

I remember in the first half he put the burners on and chased Kante showing exceptional pace.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really like the subtle dummies and bits of skill he displays. When confident he is also fairly good on the ball. The issue as it always has been is A) fitness and B) composure. If only he had these two on his favour

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I really like the subtle dummies and bits of skill he displays. When confident he is also fairly good on the ball. The issue as it always has been is A) fitness and B) composure. If only he had these two on his favour
I don't see why we can't iron out it his defeciencies.. He's rash but that should be ironed out by the Coaching staff. He has alot of untapped potential and we shouldn't just discard him easily.

ken11

Stats-fans should take it shove it up their behinds.

Football isn't a game that's won or lost on stats alone.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He did very well. Bailly normally does very well at home when the crowd didn’t put him pressure, but when he played away games he acts like a brain fart. Mentally is something that he needs to improve to play in this football club.

In term of injury, I think it’s due to his style of football. Something that he needs to work out.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They both are 15 yards higher but got destroyed by Spurs and PSG (the other two they were together), if memory served right.

SoCross

They both are 15 yards higher but got destroyed by Spurs and PSG (the other two they were together), if memory served right.
PSG wasn’t he playing at RB? Can’t seem to recall but seemed out of position.

A-man

PSG wasn’t he playing at RB? Can’t seem to recall but seemed out of position.
First game he played CB and struggled, second game he was RB and a disaster. Subbed by Dalot after 35 minutes.

OGS via MUTV

“He will need a scan tomorrow but I don't think it is the worst knee injury you can have,” the manager told us. “He will be out for the rest of the season, I don't think we will see him again before next season.

”But he is a warrior, he played well today, he was calm, he was composed and it was just unfortunate that he had to come off.“

Ashley R1+O

Vidic got a similar knee injury from a player flopping onto him. Really freak stuff that, a shame.

He was very good until the injury. Shows what is possible when you have two defenders who are competent on the ball.

His problems have always been composure and fitness related, and composure comes with getting a run of games wihout injury.

A-man

He was very good until the injury. Shows what is possible when you have two defenders who are competent on the ball.

His problems have always been composure and fitness related, and composure comes with getting a run of games wihout injury.
Neither of the CBs were very adventurous with the ball, but it was nice to see how calm they handled the situation when Chelaea tried to put pressure on them.

tomaldinho1

I hope the higher positioning being so different will help illustrate why Smalling is too limited to be a starting CB for us to those who want him as our first choice on here. He's a solid defender but the game has evolved and you must have good (if not great) technical skills now as a CB. Hard to emphasise how important that higher line is for us to be successful.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
A journo the other day wrote something about how Phil Jones came off injured, as per usual.
That really is the Bailly story too.

Cannot rely on either unfortunately.

Ekeke

Average positions vs Chelsea

Lindelof deepest with Bailly quite far up.

Average positions of our last good result, against West Ham.

Jones deepest with Smalling quite far up.

So theres only a small distance between us having majority possession against Chelsea, and us having less possession than West Ham with Jones and Smalling playing. Theres a much bigger change in all the other players being far more spread and further forward.

Our recent games we've played 3 at the back and yes our defense have been further back in those games. Also Everton where we conceded 4, obviously our CBs were dropping deep trying to cope.

But in general its a small difference to when we were playing well under Ole before

Here's the previous win 2-0 over Chelsea in the F.A cup

Lindelof deepest with Smalling not as far up as Bailly yesterday, but Ander dropping into that space as a DM.

Here's our 1-0 victory over Arsenal in the F.A cup

We won, Bailly and Lindelof played and they were actually deeper than most of our CB pairings over the course of the season.

1-0 over Spurs in the league

Smalling and Jones this time are even deeper than Lindelof in the last example and about level with Bailly. Ander is only a bit further forward than Bailly was against Chelsea yesterday.

So if you look at it properly, all of our players were further forward specifically yesterday. Matic took on more responsibility with Ander playing further forward than the halfway line when usually he's been sitting near him. Our attackers are more spread out and further forward too.

It wasnt the personnel, it was the tactics. In general our players were deployed further up the pitch and we tried to have most of the ball unlike most weeks where we let the other team have most of the ball and we counterattack when they are out of position.

Ekeke

I hope the higher positioning being so different will help illustrate why Smalling is too limited to be a starting CB for us to those who want him as our first choice on here. He's a solid defender but the game has evolved and you must have good (if not great) technical skills now as a CB. Hard to emphasise how important that higher line is for us to be successful.
Technical ability eh?

How about passing?

tomaldinho1

Technical ability eh?

How about passing?

If you think a video of Smalling volleying a ball with his left foot is proof of technical ability, there's no point continuing this discussion. (FYI you can't actually watch the link but assume it's that from the title)

Dredge up whatever you like in terms of statistics but the majority of people who watch United would not describe Smalling as 'technical'. My sole point is that I believe it is imperative, if we want to be successful, to play with a higher line because that is how football has changed and none of the best teams setup in the manner we do.

I realise now I have seen you on here before and I get that you're a fan of Smalling and think he's a decent defender but the fact you're trying to prove he's technical is a bit far. If you want to debate whether we should play with a higher line (which in my opinion makes Smalling a hindrance) that's fine but I can't be bothered to try to convince you he's limited technically because it's such a commonly held view on the caf and I've seen numerous posters attempt to do this before.

Ekeke

If you think a video of Smalling volleying a ball with his left foot is proof of technical ability, there's no point continuing this discussion. (FYI you can't actually watch the link but assume it's that from the title)

Dredge up whatever you like in terms of statistics but the majority of people who watch United would not describe Smalling as 'technical'. My sole point is that I believe it is imperative, if we want to be successful, to play with a higher line because that is how football has changed and none of the best teams setup in the manner we do.

I realise now I have seen you on here before and I get that you're a fan of Smalling and think he's a decent defender but the fact you're trying to prove he's technical is a bit far. If you want to debate whether we should play with a higher line (which in my opinion makes Smalling a hindrance) that's fine but I can't be bothered to try to convince you he's limited technically because it's such a commonly held view on the caf and I've seen numerous posters attempt to do this before.
I can watch it. Smalling's chest control and goal was a great answer to those people suggesting he's not a technically capable player last season when he scored it. He is. But he also tries things like that very rarely because his mentality is to be a safe player. If I recall correctly he scored a backheel flick in his first season at the club in a cup game as well. So yes, he can do things that require good technique. He just doesnt try them often and he generally plays a safe game aimed at keeping the ball which he does fine.

Smalling not being a great technical player, doesn't mean that Bailly is. He's a comfortably better dribbler and has a bit more composure on the ball but as you can see, he's negative with the way he uses the ball more often than Jones and Smalling. They are just easy targets because they've been here so long, struggled with some injuries, arent fancy foreign names and arent a part of the "new" England thats being marketed as something so much better, when its mostly more of the same.

And as we can also see, yes the team as a whole were pushed up further and we tried to keep the ball. But it wasnt because Bailly was in or Smalling was out. Lindelof and Bailly played against Arsenal and were deep. Its because those were the tactics for the match and Bailly and Lindelof were fit, available and chosen. And they did fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.