Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Longshanks

He was great last night, sort of performance that reminds you of his ability.

Small mistake for the second goal sure, but his mistakes creates a small opening, de gea and maguire between them turn that small opening into a sitter for the striker.

Spent most of the night bailing his teammates out of there far worse mistakes then noone backs him up when he makes a small positional mistake. If he can stay fit and play like that most games he would be brilliant.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Ah the start of the Bailly cycle begins again :drool:

Good game or 2, making us all think, this guy can do it.
Then an inevitable appalling game, then an injury, and not seen for another 17 games.

Andersons Dietician

Bailly doing Bailly things. Weirdly I love him, but he’s still not a great defender but feck me is he not capable of the absolutely sublime bit of defending to save your arse. No man can be as bad as he is and yet be brilliant. Some of those blocks last night were incredible. Sure he shouldn’t be having to make them but incredible. Unlucky on the first goal that the deflection takes him out of the first phase.

norm87cro

I remember him being sent of and then not getting picked by Jose for months while Lindelof played. Ole seems to have more confidence in Lindelof as well. The guy is certainly better than Lindelof. He is strong and pretty fast for a CB. His decision making is the worst amongst our first choice CBs though.

Dante

Average bang
He's the defender equivalent of DDG in that he looks at his best when things are going wrong and he gets the chance throw his body at the problem to fix it. But if he'd had a bit more composure, positioning and presence in the first place, it might not have got that bad to start with.

Great performance yesterday which was exactly what United needed under the circumstances. But he did make some serious mistakes as well that would have cost us if we were a better functioning team. Since we're not, he should absolutely be first choice for now.

Lyng

Back three with Lindelöf - Varane - Bailly is probably the best setup right now.
He didn't look great on their second goal but if it wasn't for him we would have lost 4 - 2 last night.

NotQuiteManc

Monster defending. Is it the hunger, the freshness from being sidelined for (too) long or both? Either way, like Ronaldo, his defending came in clutch. Long may it continue...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

Nice little contrast in attitudes between AWB and Eric there, one half arses it, the other sprints.

largelyworried

We get these performances from time to time with Bailly. Sadly they don't seem to happen often enough, but we can sure has hell enjoy them when they happen. Other than the goals, his performance was easily the most enjoyable thing that happened during the game.

TSE123

Back three with Lindelöf - Varane - Bailly is probably the best setup right now.
He didn't look great on their second goal but if it wasn't for him we would have lost 4 - 2 last night.
Agree with you entirely!

I find it very strange with some posters, who after one game by Bailly, say he should definitely start with varane now instead of lindelof.
Firstly united NEED to play 3 CBs against city (Bailly-Varane-Lindelof, whether Maguire is fit or not) AND secondly lindelof has arguablee been the best CB in the squad this season…!?

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
You know what? this makes me even more angry.

Bailly has usually done pretty well against Vardy and Leicester. The fact that Ole couldn't put any trust in him just says everything.

He looked in great shape tonight. Whether people will argue or not he made a mistake for the 2nd goal I couldn't care less, that was a top class CB performance.

He bailed us out in prime Bailly fashion when Pogba gave it away for that 1 on 1 chance. He risked it all and saved a goal.
Ole played a player who should not even have been on the bench.
He needed to be sacked right after that match.
Simples.

Last edited:

stevoc

He really hasn’t though. All our defenders have had shockers, but neither Lindelof nor Bailly have been afforded time to be as bad, for as long as Maguire.
He really has though. Jesus some on here have short memories.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
His passing needs to be mentioned. It was excellent. Almost all progressive.

He is a better passer than Lindelof and Harry.

Lindelof has that over the top ball but besides that can't really pass through lines. Harry is just too slow.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
What? isn't AWB trying to not feck up offside or get outplayed if he full paces it (he is too far to stop a cross)
Well considering he almost cut it out through jogging, you'd imagine if he sprinted to close the man down he might have actually blocked it.

MayfieldsFinest

He's the defender equivalent of DDG in that he looks at his best when things are going wrong and he gets the chance throw his body at the problem to fix it. But if he'd had a bit more composure, positioning and presence in the first place, it might not have got that bad to start with.

Great performance yesterday which was exactly what United needed under the circumstances. But he did make some serious mistakes as well that would have cost us if we were a better functioning team. Since we're not, he should absolutely be first choice for now.
That is a brilliant shout.

AFC NimbleThumb

He really has though. Jesus some on here have short memories.
Alright lad. I’ve literally admitted Bailly has had bad games. I can highlight Maguire sh*tshows back to ‘Project Restart’, my memories fine.

The issue is a certain archetype of player on this forum are above reproach.
neither Lindelof nor Bailly have been afforded time to be as bad, for as long as Maguire.
Your memory can’t even stretch back to the crap we saw from Maguire to start last season.

stevoc

Alright lad. I’ve literally admitted Bailly has had bad games. I can highlight Maguire sh*tshows back to ‘Project Restart’, my memories fine.

The issue is a certain archetype of player on this forum are above reproach.
Maguire is shit right now and was shit at the start of last season. But Bailly's been worse at times, and crap and/or injured most of the time.

At least with Maguire/Lindelof they are dependable injury wise most of the time. And mostly solid in their performances when they are fit. Which is why Bailly is 4th choice.

Your memory can’t even stretch back to the crap we saw from Maguire to start last season.
It does Bailly was worse then as well.

AFC NimbleThumb

Maguire is shit right now and was shit at the start of last season. But Bailly's been worse at times, and crap and/or injured most of the time.

At least with Maguire/Lindelof they are dependable injury wise most of the time. And mostly solid in their performances when they are fit. Which is why Bailly is 4th choice.

It does Bailly was worse then as well.
We don’t agree, I’m good with that. Don’t throw around nonsense like short memories though when it’s still clear in my mind how Maguire made Stanislas & the mighty Bournemouth look like peak a peak Barca attack, Bergwijn look like Usain Bolt & played the whole of the Southampton team onside whilst standing about like a statue as long as 2 seasons ago. He isn’t just shit ‘right now’, he’s been piss poor for seasons.The bar for the man is, ‘better than Smalling’ which is criminally low.

Maguire > Bailly isn’t the discussion. It’s clear we’d disagree but again, I can deal with that. We agree as far as fitness though, for all Bailly strengths & weaknesses they don’t often matter as he’s been injured.

He really hasn’t though. All our defenders have had shockers, but neither Lindelof nor Bailly have been afforded time to be as bad, for as long as Maguire.
My point is/was certain players are afforded multiple opportunities to play well after poor performances where as others are not. Bailly has been fit most of the season - Maguire should be nowhere near the team currently. There’s no point saying he’s ‘dependable injury wise’ when after each poor performance people blame his ‘lack of match fitness’.

It’s always an excuse with the guy, ‘just getting back up to pace after lockdown’, ‘his arrest has unnerved him’, ‘he’s not fully fit’ when infact it’s that he’s not actually very good for very long periods. I think just how bad he’s been this season is being understated, along with some of his worse performances in previous seasons. I’ve seen Bailly have some stinkers but some of the stuff I see Maguire do game on game is shambolic.

stevoc

We don’t agree, I’m good with that. Don’t throw around nonsense like short memories though when it’s still clear in my mind how Maguire made Stanislas & the mighty Bournemouth look like peak a peak Barca attack, Bergwijn look like Usain Bolt & played the whole of the Southampton team onside whilst standing about like a statue as long as 2 seasons ago. He isn’t just shit ‘right now’, he’s been piss poor for seasons.The bar for the man is, ‘better than Smalling’ which is criminally low.

Maguire > Bailly isn’t the discussion. It’s clear we’d disagree but again, I can deal with that. We agree as far as fitness though, for all Bailly strengths & weaknesses they don’t often matter as he’s been injured.
Yeah fair enough we definitely do disagree.

My point is/was certain players are afforded multiple opportunities to play well after poor performances where as others are not. Bailly has been fit most of the season - Maguire should be nowhere near the team currently. There’s no point saying he’s ‘dependable injury wise’ when after each poor performance people blame his ‘lack of match fitness’.

It’s always an excuse with the guy, ‘just getting back up to pace after lockdown’, ‘his arrest has unnerved him’, ‘he’s not fully fit’ when infact it’s that he’s not actually very good for very long periods. I think just how bad he’s been this season is being understated, along with some of his worse performances in previous seasons. I’ve seen Bailly have some stinkers but some of the stuff I see Maguire do game on game is shambolic.
Let's be fair though Bailly's only been fit for most of the season because he hasn't played, had he played he'd be injured by now. And that's the Bailly cycle and why he's not relied upon whenever others are fit.

AFC NimbleThumb

Yeah fair enough we definitely do disagree.
Don’t get me wrong he’s had runs of decent form but they generally come on the back of OgS reverting to defence first tactics. Whenever we try to express ourselves as a side & leave him isolated facing 1-on-1s or asking him to cover space he’s shown for what he is. I think on the whole his impact has been underwhelming, we don’t concede less & his leadership on the field is non-existent.

A fit Bailly trumps a lumbering Maguire for me.
Let's be fair though Bailly's only been fit for most of the season because he hasn't played, had he played he'd be injured by now. And that's the Bailly cycle and why he's not relied upon whenever others are fit.
You may well be right but given just how bad Maguire has been I’d have taken 1-2 games from Eric then an injury as opposed to him sat on the bench whilst Maguire plays for the opposition.

redshaw

Really should've been playing since Leicester but maybe if he had played the last 3-4 games would he be available to save our arses last night?

Players like Bailly and Telles need to be brought in more to keep others from coasting along. Ole doesn't seem to have learned yet from the one thing he may have done which is bring Telles in the first time, suddenly Shaw turns into our best player. Maguire and Shaw should've seen less games, put more work in training and re-evaluate themselves.

Gator Nate

Pretty accurate take. I do love to watch him play. However, that ability to throw his body at the problem is also usually his downfall, be it a card or an injury.

stevoc

A fit Bailly trumps a lumbering Maguire for me.

You may well be right but given just how bad Maguire has been I’d have taken 1-2 games from Eric then an injury as opposed to him sat on the bench whilst Maguire plays for the opposition.
I don't know mate I used to be a fan of Eric but I've lost all faith in him. For every good performance like last night there's 5 horrible ones. And that I could forgive if he only cut out the acrobatic kung fu kicks and reckless shit. He takes way too many chances and makes too many bad decisions. If he calmed down he'd be a much better player in my opinion.

ti vu

Nice little contrast in attitudes between AWB and Eric there, one half arses it, the other sprints.
And that's why I am surprised at the optimism about 3 at the back system with AWB as wing back. He doesn't seem to have the stamina for it.

The wingbacks on the pitch are demanded to stay switched on and energetic all the time. And There is a reason, team that primarily play wing back system, would have plenty back up for regular rotation.

Suddenly switched to back 3 unplanned, and stuck by it, even without player quality orcoaching issue, eventually it would cripple the team later in the season.

Sparky Rhiwabon

AWB is a bit like this as well

TheRedHearted

I remember him being sent of and then not getting picked by Jose for months while Lindelof played. Ole seems to have more confidence in Lindelof as well. The guy is certainly better than Lindelof. He is strong and pretty fast for a CB. His decision making is the worst amongst our first choice CBs though.
Hate to use this term but Sir Alex would make this guy world class. It’s a shame Mourinho lost his defensive genius cause same would have happened under him

TheRedHearted

And that's why I am surprised at the optimism about 3 at the back system with AWB as wing back. He doesn't seem to have the stamina for it.

The wingbacks on the pitch are demanded to stay switched on and energetic all the time. And There is a reason, team that primarily play wing back system, would have plenty back up for regular rotation.

Suddenly switched to back 3 unplanned, and stuck by it, even without player quality orcoaching issue, eventually it would cripple the team later in the season.
Sorry to double post but I always that AWB role in a back 3 is the RCB, oddly enough sancho, Dalot (although I’m not convinced by him), Lingard as the RWB. Seems like one of our wing backs should be our first substitution as well

Coops73

Fantastic last night and my MOTM, if he could stop the brain farts he’d be top class.

Foxbatt

Bailly on his day is as good as any CB. But Bailly could be sublime and ridiculous all in the same move.

AFC NimbleThumb

I don't know mate I used to be a fan of Eric but I've lost all faith in him. For every good performance like last night there's 5 horrible ones. And that I could forgive if he only cut out the acrobatic kung fu kicks and reckless shit. He takes way too many chances and makes too many bad decisions. If he calmed down he'd be a much better player in my opinion.
Guess I’m still on the train bud. He’s erratic as feck but the inactive defending I’ve seen from Mags & Lind over recent years has infuriated me. I think we’ve got a number of complimentary CBs which is why I’d have liked to have seen a fair race to pair with Varane. Maguire-Lindelof-Bailly all have elements I like but for me Bailly [& to some extent Lindelof] deserve more opportunities to start in a 4.

I genuinely think it’s the consistency his fitness doesn’t provide that is his main issue. If he was next to someone that led the line for a good run I think he’d calm down abit; whenever he comes in it’s abit swashbuckling as if he think he has to show his whole repertoire in 90minutes.

Foxbatt

It doesn't help him or any CB who plays on the right to have AWB and Greenwood on their side. As one v one AWB could be the best but he doesn't know how to play in a defense line. And Bailly is not very experienced at the top level either.

Status
Not open for further replies.