Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Shaw is playing him off too, it's a massive Maguire feck up this one. Could DDG do better, no doubt, could Bailly have done different, sure. Could Maguire stop the goal by simply paying attention and doing his one simple job? feck yeah.

There's no reason for Maguire to be 2 yards behind Bailly there, not when he's looking all the way across the line, it's terrible, he's sleeping.

Yep, we need a defensive coach, positioning is pretty much everything, something that Varane does naturally, our other defenders just don't seem able to do that consistently, it's as if all we work on is going forward.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Shaw is playing him off too, it's a massive Maguire feck up this one. Could DDG do better, no doubt, could Bailly have done different, sure. Could Maguire stop the goal by simply paying attention and doing his one simple job? feck yeah.

There's no reason for Maguire to be 2 yards behind Bailly there, not when he's looking all the way across the line, it's terrible, he's sleeping.

I'm not sure how this image does anything other than further highlight how fecking awful Bailly is here. He's watching the ball, he isn't in line with any other defender, and doesn't know where his other defenders are.

Shaw is still behind Bailly. He hasn't reacted to Baillys movement, and hasn't stepped up. He can't even see the CF, so absolutely zero chance he's attempting to play offside.If he had curved his run move then Shaw would've still been playing him onside anyway. It's typical Bailly: he takes a needless risk, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. If that was Liverpool and Bailly was VVD, we wouldn't be blaming it on Matip, we'd be ripping him to bits for having his head in the clouds.

Oranges038

Will await the inevitable injury news tomorrow.

He was brilliant at times tonight, combative and aggressive. But calm when he needed to be. Top performance, would love to see him play like that every week.

Firstouch20

His ceiling is ridiculously high. When he's on his game he's like a man possessed.

ivaldo

You don't mention Maguire at all, and how am I trying to vindicate Bailly? I said he should have been aware of the guys run, so yes, that was a mistake, but Maguire also should have been closer to him, and covering. Defensively we seem to be all over the place, and a back four should work as one, we dont, we look like four individuals. Varane in there makes us so much better.
Except where I said Maguire was shit in my original post, and mention how poor he was multiple times I mention it in this thread. So yeah, if we ignore all the times I mention Maguire, I haven't mentioned Maguire at all!

ti vu

The second goal is a systematic error, which the faults lies more with Maguire. Keeping the off side trap on, and Atalanta options would be limited. Zapata couldn't beat the offside trap = problem solved.

And for off chance for offside trap to fail like it did, building CB partnership understanding and having the right personnel is vital. Maguire is not good at covering for other as he needs somebody covering for him in the first place! Lacking pace for this role of playing a high line with his partner being assigned to go rogue to mark.

Marwood

It's a split second. Probably not even 2 yards. I'd agree with you if Maguire was alone in seriously lagging behind the rest but its negligible.

It's all on Bailly that. What's he actually thinking or doing in that moment. All he has to do is track his man like AWB is.

LJJT

Didn’t track his man for their second and gambled incorrectly on their first, other than that a good game. Which I think says it all really

I'm not sure how this image does anything other than further highlight how fecking awful Bailly is here. He's watching the ball, he isn't in line with any other defender, and doesn't know where his other defenders are.

Shaw is still behind Bailly. He hasn't reacted to Baillys movement, and hasn't stepped up. He can't even see the CF, so absolutely zero chance he's attempting to play offside.If he had curved his run move then Shaw would've still been playing him onside anyway. It's typical Bailly: he takes a needless risk, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't. If that was Liverpool and Bailly was VVD, we wouldn't be blaming it on Matip, we'd be ripping him to bits for having his head in the clouds.
The image clearly highlights that the CB looking across the fecking line simply needs to take one simple step to be in line with his partner and it's offside, no goal, no debate.

Shaw doesn't need to see the forward to play him off ffs man, that's not how a defensive line works. He looks at his own defenders and he's split, because the guy sleeping in the middle is inconceivably 2 yards behind his partner for no reason whatsoever, Shaw just splits the difference and is still playing the guy off, so asleep is Maguire in his position.

Marwood

Immense. MOTM.

Almost all his passes were forward. Huge blocks amd pushes forward.

2nd goal Harry should be much closer to Bailey. We don't know if the tactics were to push high and play offside. But either was Harry needs to sense that danger.

Slab head was playing like Varane was still on the pitch.
If Harry needs to sense the danger then surely Bailly does given he's stood next to the bloke who scored.

ivaldo

Come on now Ivaldo, if Varane was there instead of Maguire, we wouldn't be having this conversation. He did a lot of recovery like each CB should do for one another. VvD has been in that situation quite a few times this season if you have watched some Liverpool games as they press high too.

Even if Bailly did track back with Zapata, he would have likely been beaten because the guy is lightning quick as it is, had the advantage of running the right wau and it would have been up to Maguire anyway to help out because we pushed high and left ourselves exposed. Watch the angle the ball comes in and tell me how Bailly defends it well?
And if Varane was there instead of Bailly, we wouldn't be having this conversation. No chance he takes such a pointless risk and just hopes the other defenders have read his mind. As I said previously, Shaw also doesn't try to play offside and is behind Bailly. A quicker pass or more of a curve in his run and Shaw would've been playing him on too.

Come on. Bailly showed him and again he could match his pace, and even had a good 3 yard start on him. He chose to step out instead of doing the basics. The angle of the ball? It was a straight pass, which makes it significantly easy to defend.

RepardReece

But he's still not playing the attacker onside is he?

Maguire is 100% more to blame, he plays him onside, is lacklustre at stepping up with the defensive line, and is lacklustre with his reactions to run back (too busy crying about offside before actually deciding to run after the ball). As Rio pointed out at full time, their attacker had to run 31 yards and Maguire only 18-20.

Sure, Bailly could've done better there. But people like yourself can't be wrong.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
The image clearly highlights that the CB looking across the fecking line simply needs to take one simple step to be in line with his partner and it's offside, no goal, no debate.

Shaw doesn't need to see the forward to play him off ffs man, that's not how a defensive line works. He looks at his own defenders and he's split, because the guy sleeping in the middle is inconceivably 2 yards behind his partner for no reason whatsoever, Shaw just splits the difference and is still playing the guy off, so asleep is Maguire in his position.
Thank you RAB, finally saying what I tried to: is it the defender closest to play that is responsible for the other 3 to keep the line together, or the passive ones who should be keeping an eye on an advancing player??? Shaw did (just) get ahead, but Maguire was sleeping, so literally did not act in both playing the high line nor look to cover Bailly's advance. Blaming him for the goal is just ridiculous as the angle of the forward ball would have been a struggle for Bailly to recover anyway.

Sir Red Devil

There were people on here who were calling Ronaldo “the problem” of this team. So it's not surprising that there are also some people on here who are complaining about the best defensive performance that we have seen this season from any of our defenders.

Thank you RAB, finally saying what I tried to: is it the defender closest to play that is responsible for the other 3 to keep the line together, or the passive ones who should be keeping an eye on an advancing player??? Shaw did (just) get ahead, but Maguire was sleeping, so literally did not act in both playing the high line nor look to cover Bailly's advance. Blaming him for the goal is just ridiculous as the angle of the forward ball would have been a struggle for Bailly to recover anyway.
It's a simple offside play. That's how it works, defender pushes on, allows runner to run in beyond him and expects his defensive line to be with him, if they are, he's off, if they aren't, well feck...

If that's not how it works then we never ever ever see an offside trap, we just see defenders always running back and following after every runner. I mean, every time a defender allows a forward to run behind him and his defensive line aren't level, he's kinda at fault, absolutely. But if the other feckers and especially those looking riiiiiight across the line do their job, it's a simple as feck offside call.

I personally don't want defenders running like stupid feckwits after every run beyond, Maguire for one can't afford to do that so he either needs his partners to get in line with him, like he failed to do tonight, else he'll likely need them to rectify fecking up their line by getting back in and making a tackle. Maguire did neither, he wasn't doing his defensive 101 (staying in line) and he couldn't recover cause he was too busy thinking he was in line and calling for offside, when he was in fact, fast asleep.

ivaldo

The image clearly highlights the CB marking him ball watching. Again, he has absolutely no idea where the rest of his defenders are. Zero.

You're right. A defensive line works as a unit. One player, who isn't the deepest player, and has no idea whether he is the deepest play or not, deciding to step up on his own with no communication, isn't how a defensive line and a defensive unit works. In no world in that a sensible decision, hence why all the ex professionals in the studio, including one of the best CBs every to play for the club, point to how fecking awful it is from both Bailly and Maguire.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
And if Varane was there instead of Bailly, we wouldn't be having this conversation. No chance he takes such a pointless risk and just hopes the other defenders have read his mind. As I said previously, Shaw also doesn't try to play offside and is behind Bailly. A quicker pass or more of a curve in his run and Shaw would've been playing him on too.

Come on. Bailly showed him and again he could match his pace, and even had a good 3 yard start on him. He chose to step out instead of doing the basics. The angle of the ball? It was a straight pass, which makes it significantly easy to defend.
Saying this makes me think you didnt watch the goal twice..

He was nearer to the sideline than the middle of the pitch: it was angled all you like, in fact dragging it more to where the LCB should cover his partner making it easier to clear. Maybe watch it again and say it's a "straight pass" or not?

ivaldo

But he's still not playing the attacker onside is he?

Maguire is 100% more to blame, he plays him onside, is lacklustre at stepping up with the defensive line, and is lacklustre with his reactions to run back (too busy crying about offside before actually deciding to run after the ball). As Rio pointed out at full time, their attacker had to run 31 yards and Maguire only 18-20.

Sure, Bailly could've done better there. But people like yourself can't be wrong.
No. Not by choice, not by design. The line was perfectly uniform until Bailly decides to step out on his own. Again, without having any other information whatever. Shaw and Maguire are significantly closer in line than Bailly is. Bailly is the odd one out here. Watch the post match analysis. Watch how the three ex pros point out how terrible it is from both Bailly and Maguire. It's laughable to defend it.

Like myself? Again, I'm agreeing with Rio and co in the studio while you're trying to pretend it's '100% on Maguire.' Have a word with yourself.

The image clearly highlights the CB marking him ball watching. Again, he has absolutely no idea where the rest of his defenders are. Zero.
Again, he doesn't need to, he sees AWB is ahead of him and he's far out quite close to the right touchline, it's not up to him to check that the guys looking right across the line are level with him, that's their job.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
It's a simple offside play. That's how it works, defender pushes on, allows runner to run in beyond him and expects his defensive line to be with him, if they are, he's off, if they aren't, well feck...

If that's not how it works then we never ever ever see an offside trap, we just see defenders always running back and following after every runner. I mean, every time a defender allows a forward to run behind him and his defensive line aren't level, he's kinda at fault, absolutely. But if the other feckers and especially those looking riiiiiight across the line do their job, it's a simple as feck offside call.
There we go. A player commits, its a simple duty for the others to follow. Pretty feckin simple to step 3 yards ahead to keep up, but like we do in attack we ball watch a lot of the time.

Its an overall problem throughout our game that we dont work cohesively.

AbstruseAlan

Think he's been praised far too much by too many tonight including the commentators who made out like he was playing world class. He was arguably at fault for both goals, his positioning is awful and over commits too much in trying to win low percentage balls. Thought him and Maguire were all over the place today. Bailly is just pleasing on the eye because of his flamboyant style and last ditch efforts (which were very good tonight) but it should never come to them if we kept a better shape in the first place.

ivaldo

Saying this makes me think you didnt watch the goal twice..

He was nearer to the sideline than the middle of the pitch: it was angled all you like, in fact dragging it more to where the LCB should cover his partner making it easier to clear. Maybe watch it again and say it's a "straight pass" or not?
:lol:

They even call it a straight ball in the studio. But then I can't expect you to pay attention to detail. You've proven that already with the Maguire comments. You don't help youself.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn’t track his man for their second and gambled incorrectly on their first, other than that a good game. Which I think says it all really
He's a very odd defender, makes mistakes on both goals but also seemed to prevent about 5-6.

lex talionis

Put in a very solid performance tonight, especially considering that he's coming in from the cold and thrown into a CL match. There's a still a bit too much body lunging in his game but overall he put in a shift far beyond what any poster here had a right to expect was coming. Needs games though, but with Varane and Lindelof both out now he'll get them.

There we go. A player commits, its a simple duty for the others to follow. Pretty feckin simple to step 3 yards ahead to keep up, but like we do in attack we ball watch a lot of the time.

Its an overall problem throughout our game that we dont work cohesively.
Look man, I played in the Conference in division 2 over here, I've never managed, I'm no expert. But everywhere I played, we did drills constantly for the defensive line to move up and down together, and it's always the job of the passive players looking across the line to take their position from the players closest to the play. Always.

Now was I trained incorrectly? should a player in the position closest to the play be taking his eyes of the balls and the forwards and be checking over his shoulder that his other 2 teammates are simply doing their job and are in line, when he can clearly see in his line of sight that his full back is ahead of the play. Maybe, it's sounds utterly ridiculous to me but ivaldo and a few posters expect it, and apparentely Rio agrees, so feck knows.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
:lol:

They even call it a straight ball in the studio. But then I can't expect you to pay attention to detail. You've proven that already with the Maguire comments. You don't help youself.
I can see from comments to other posters that you like to silently insult, very nice so noted. You take pundits' opinions as gospel so I assume you back Ole to stay on until the end of the season like Gary does?

ivaldo

Again, he doesn't need to, he sees AWB is ahead of him and he's far out quite close to the right touchline, it's not up to him to check that the guys looking right across the line are level with him, that's their job.
Again, yes you do. You don't play offside unless you're last man, you can see across the line, or you get a call from someone who can. You don't just make a late decision and hope it all works out. It's a needless gamble that never has to be made. You notice no one else is making this decision?

Thats why not one by two players are behind him. That's why the three ex pros in the studio also state Bailly should never allow the player to run in behind.

Last edited:

CloneMC16

I blame him partly for the 2nd goal, but I still think he was great. Played out of his mind. We lose the game if he's not on the pitch.

Thats why not one by two players are behind him.
You're making the Shaw mistake again though, Shaw is behind him because Maguire is. It's why Shaw is between the two of them, because Maguire's position makes it impossible for him to be in line. Maguire's position is why the entire back line looks like a fecking zig-zag. If Maguire steps up, Shaw steps up, the line is level as a good line should be, and your man's offside.

As for the pundits, as I say, every time a defender allows a player to run and his teammates are keeping their line, he's "at fault".

Caesar2290

Ah, the good old Bailly boom and bust cycle

Plays a couple of matches like prime Beckenbauer then to only lose his head and defend like a conference player.

Kind of like our manager really.

Won't stop half of our supporters claiming that he should start every game now. All that in spite of them forgetting why he was benched in the first place.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Excellent performance….big fan of Maguire but if Bailly played three games like Maguires last three he’d never be seen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.