Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

git_united

I think they're both at fault. The ball is on Bailly's side and Zapata is moving around so he can't afford to look to see where Maguire is ... Maguire can see absolutely everything and should have stepped. But then Bailly should have dropped as well.

Sir Red Devil

10/10 and my MOTM. That was the best defensive performance by any of our defenders this season.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He also said Maguire should a) be in line and b) be closer to Bailly to close the gap.

Bailly gets done too easily by the movement, but Maguire should be there to help out... Like Bailly was constantly there all night to bail out Maguire
But the recognition of saving Maguire hasn't been mentioned in his posts? He saved his arse on a few occasions tonight

TSE123

Good game. Saved maguire again and again. Unfortunate on first goal and stepped correctly on second. Looked a little bit wild and risk taking, but tonight it worked out. If MOTM then ONLY in lack of anyone else.

in a 5-3-2 i would play varane, lindelof and bailly

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

10/10? He was the sole reason that second goal went in, completely let Zapata go free. Typical Bailly, runs around being aggressive and headless, but always costs the team points.
He wasn’t, rewatch the goal.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Why? Because Maguire (and you know I love Maguire) simply looking across his line, which is his number 1 fecking job from where he is and it's not a goal. Maguire actually instantly sticks his hand up because he think he's played him off.

If Maguire just does a simple piece of defending and there's no goal.
Equally, Baillys number 1 fecking job is to mark the only player they have capable of scoring from that position, the only fecking striker they have on the pitch. What he shouldn't be doing is allowing that single striker to run off his while having absolutely no idea where the rest of the defense is. Hoping another player will bail you out isn't good defending in my book. It's defending 101.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If he could stay fit, would easily be one of out better CBs we've bought over the years.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
10/10? He was the sole reason that second goal went in, completely let Zapata go free. Typical Bailly, runs around being aggressive and headless, but always costs the team points.
The feck? Slabhead was the only idiot playing him onside.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Yup. But I'm not trying to make out Maguire wasnt terrible. Does Maguire's horrendous performance mean Baillys errors are erased? If Varane is in that situation we wouldn't even be discussing it.
No, but his mistake for the goal should have been avoided if Maguire was even slightly competent right now.

It shouldn't detract from a fabulous performance where he bailed us out numerous times, especially considering a) it was his second start of the season and his first game in ages and b) he was playing next to The Statue of Liability

LJJT

Played fairly well. But played a big part in both their goals so I mean he wasn’t that good so difficult to judge him today

Equally, Baillys number 1 fecking job is to mark the only player they have capable of scoring from that position, the only fecking striker they have on the pitch. What he shouldn't be doing is allowing that single striker to run off his while having absolutely no idea where the rest of the defense is. Hoping another player will bail you out isn't good defending in my book. It's defending 101.
Opinions innit, I have no issues with a defender pushing on, I don't want Lindelöf's everywhere and Maguire has no excuse, it's just utterly shite defending from him, he's actually fast asleep.
And yes, often players bail each other out, just as Bailly did multiple times for his teammates. The saves Bailly made were fecking incredible though, one in particular was insane, the "save" he needed from Maguire was just a simple piece of competent defending from his skipper. If Maguire just looks and does his job, you don't give it a 2nd thought.

Okey

If this guy's our 4th choice CB, then we should have the best selection in the land. But somehow he can't get a game at a time when Maguire seems to be our worst player at the moment.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Excellent, kept us in the game. His pace makes a massive difference, allows him to cover for other defenders. Puzzling he has barely played this season, he looks up for it.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Oh Bailly is playing offside now? Despite not once looking axross the line. Yeah, behave.

Rio is literally now analyzing Baillys defending for the goal on BT. Scholes says Bailly is 'done by his movement.' Rio said he should 'never be run beyond from there.'
They also questioned Maguire's positioning as well, so don't just use the scenario that suits your point of view.
Yes Bailly should have been aware of the run, but a defender like Varane would have covered Bailly, and almost certainly would have snuffed out the danger, Maguire just isn't with it at the moment.
Once again we look all over the place defensively, a 'defence coach' is badly required.

Norris

Atleast the drabfest was a little more tolerable with him in the team. The usual mix of making some silly mistakes with some ridiculous blocks.

Strats

Man of the match. Fantastic performance, if only he could stay fit and be consistent in his performances.

ivaldo

And Jake was questioning the tactical coaching on this? I know he's not the ex footballer here, but you evaluate what was the better decision in that moment. The ball is on Bailly's side of the pitch, and he decided to push forward to negate players running behind; Maguire was too slow too react to that as well as react to cover Bailly's advance. That's my opinion.

I'm not going to say Rio and Paul are wrong, nor say I'm 100% right. At the end of the day he's played a couple of games this season and did a lot of good things right tonight. I won't blame him for what could have been a simple offside trap helped by his teammate being switched on, and won't say he's the reason that 2nd goal went in.
Are you genuinely going to put Jake Humphrey's opinion up there next to Scholes and Rio here?

Maguire isn't the only player still behind Bailly by the way, Shaw is too. Bailly takes a needless risk and we get punished for it.

E-mal

I think they're both at fault. The ball is on Bailly's side and Zapata is moving around so he can't afford to look to see where Maguire is ... Maguire can see absolutely everything and should have stepped. But then Bailly should have dropped as well.
Maguire is always behind because he is slow.

ivaldo

They also questioned Maguire's positioning as well, so don't just use the scenario that suits your point of view.
Yes Bailly should have been aware of the run, but a defender like Varane would have covered Bailly, and almost certainly would have snuffed out the danger, Maguire just isn't with it at the moment.
Once again we look all over the place defensively, a 'defence coach' is badly required.
What do you mean? I also thought Maguire was shit. That doesn't magically vindicate Bailly in this situation, no matter how hard you try. Equally, a defender like Varane would also never make such a basic mistake and allow his man to run off him while having no awareness where the other defenders are.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Yeah, right...
Fair enough, scraped a praise out where you could so kudos.

He's 4th choice CB as it stands, put into a game where the opposition was quick, aggressive and slick in attack. He was the standout CB so really odd to highlight him as a negative when he did a lot of good tonight. Then again this forum has got so much negativity flowing through ( and understandably so) that even the normally rational posters I see can bite at players who do well overall on the day.

marktan

The feck? Slabhead was the only idiot playing him onside.
Yeah because Bailly decided to bail from marking the one player he should be marking. Look at the goal - Bailly's on the far left side of the pitch, first he gets dragged out that wide, and then just lets the player run in behind him with 0 attempt to track him. It's feck all to do with Maguire - he's like 40 metres away from Zapata when the pass is made.

If every defender decided to stop marking attackers and just hope that they'd be offside without even looking across the line, we'd leak a million goals per game.

ivaldo

Opinions innit, I have no issues with a defender pushing on, I don't want Lindelöf's everywhere and Maguire has no excuse, it's just utterly shite defending from him, he's actually fast asleep.
And yes, often players bail each other out, just as Bailly did multiple times for his teammates. The saves Bailly made were fecking incredible though, one in particular was insane, the "save" he needed from Maguire was just a simple piece of competent defending from his skipper. If Maguire just looks and does his job, you don't give it a 2nd thought.
Nor do I, it just needs to be done sensibly as opposed to at a random moment while having absolutely no idea where the rest of the team is. Shaw also didn't possess the telepathic ability to read Baillys play here, because he was also behind him.

It would be fine if he hadn't had this same conversation 100 times before. Sometimes when Bailly has a game like today, and others where he's an absolute train wreck. The margin between those two outcomes is worryingly tight.

DevTheRed

Class performance tonight, blocked everything and gave Zapata a run for his money. Makes me even more confused as to why he hasn’t started more games.. yet another weird selection decision from Ole.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's a better defender than Lindleof. Just keep him in the starting XI till he gets injured - it won't take long.

ivaldo

Fair enough, scraped a praise out where you could so kudos.

He's 4th choice CB as it stands, put into a game where the opposition was quick, aggressive and slick in attack. He was the standout CB so really odd to highlight him as a negative when he did a lot of good tonight. Then again this forum has got so much negativity flowing through ( and understandably so) that even the normally rational posters I see can bite at players who do well overall on the day.
How am I biting at him? I said he was decent, I said he recovered well, I said he saved the arses of others players tonight, and your reaction to that is to say I'm 'biting' am him and scraping praise together. I'm just not buying into the brilliance of Bailly while simultaneously trying to push all blame away from him onto another defender who was already having a horror game.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
A lot of last ditch 'heroics' but the way he got caught ball watching for their 2nd goal is why we'll never look anything other than a hot mess with him in defence

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Are you genuinely going to put Jake Humphrey's opinion up there next to Scholes and Rio here?

Maguire isn't the only player still behind Bailly by the way, Shaw is too. Bailly takes a needless risk and we get punished for it.
No its not saying Jakes opinion trumps those two; he asks a question that others would in fact raise, and one I do too. So you take their opinions as gospel and Jake should keep his mouth shut? He didnt state the fact, he asked a question ffs.

The 2nd goal scenario in any organised defence is an easy offside trap, do you not agree? Or we rely on Bailly to run back on his own whilst the other defenders throw their arms up in the air claiming offside 40 yards from the goal? Sounds chaotic and unorganised if so

Nor do I, it just needs to be done sensibly as opposed to at a random moment while having absolutely no idea where the rest of the team is. Shaw also didn't possess the telepathic ability to read Baillys play here, because he was also behind him.
Shaw is playing him off too, it's a massive Maguire feck up this one. Could DDG do better, no doubt, could Bailly have done different, sure. Could Maguire stop the goal by simply paying attention and doing his one simple job? feck yeah.

There's no reason for Maguire to be 2 yards behind Bailly there, not when he's looking all the way across the line, it's terrible, he's sleeping.

ivaldo

No its not saying Jakes opinion trumps those two; he asks a question that others would in fact raise, and one I do too. So you take their opinions as gospel and Jake should keep his mouth shut? He didnt state the fact, he asked a question ffs.

The 2nd goal scenario in any organised defence is an easy offside trap, do you not agree? Or we rely on Bailly to run back on his own whilst the other defenders throw their arms up in the air claiming offside 40 yards from the goal? Sounds chaotic and unorganised if so
Why would you bring it up at all? He's being devil's advocate, as he always does here. We have 3 ex professional players, including a former world class CB, and you want to consider what Jake has to say?

No I don't agree. As Rio said in answer to the question from from the wise man Jake Humphrey, 'trying to play offside here is just a guessing game.' Why on earth would you say playing offside here is the solution when he can simply track his man and make an easy interception? Not only does he have no idea where the rest of the defense is, he also finds himself too far removed from his CB partner, and allows the striker to make a run inside him. It's really poor defending, no matter how hard you try to divert blame.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
What do you mean? I also thought Maguire was shit. That doesn't magically vindicate Bailly in this situation, no matter how hard you try. Equally, a defender like Varane would also never make such a basic mistake and allow his man to run off him while having no awareness where the other defenders are.
You don't mention Maguire at all, and how am I trying to vindicate Bailly? I said he should have been aware of the guys run, so yes, that was a mistake, but Maguire also should have been closer to him, and covering. Defensively we seem to be all over the place, and a back four should work as one, we dont, we look like four individuals. Varane in there makes us so much better.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
How am I biting at him? I said he was decent, I said he recovered well, I said he saved the arses of others players tonight, and your reaction to that is to say I'm 'biting' am him and scraping praise together. I'm just not buying into the brilliance of Bailly while simultaneously trying to push all blame away from him onto another defender who was already having a horror game.
Come on now Ivaldo, if Varane was there instead of Maguire, we wouldn't be having this conversation. He did a lot of recovery like each CB should do for one another. VvD has been in that situation quite a few times this season if you have watched some Liverpool games as they press high too.

Even if Bailly did track back with Zapata, he would have likely been beaten because the guy is lightning quick as it is, had the advantage of running the right wau and it would have been up to Maguire anyway to help out because we pushed high and left ourselves exposed. Watch the angle the ball comes in and tell me how Bailly defends it well?

Devil may care

Poor on the second goal but otherwise defended all alone tonight and made some vital blocks.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Immense. MOTM.

Almost all his passes were forward. Huge blocks amd pushes forward.

2nd goal Harry should be much closer to Bailey. We don't know if the tactics were to push high and play offside. But either was Harry needs to sense that danger.

Slab head was playing like Varane was still on the pitch.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Yeah because Bailly decided to bail from marking the one player he should be marking. Look at the goal - Bailly's on the far left side of the pitch, first he gets dragged out that wide, and then just lets the player run in behind him with 0 attempt to track him. It's feck all to do with Maguire - he's like 40 metres away from Zapata when the pass is made.

If every defender decided to stop marking attackers and just hope that they'd be offside without even looking across the line, we'd leak a million goals per game.
Take the L. Bailly and Shaw were both maintaining the line, Maguire was the one that didn’t push up. He was lazy and got caught, he wouldn’t be appealing for offside otherwise.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
He has to be one of the most frustrating players we ever had

The boy has the physicality the speed and the composure to be a top cb

And he did show it tonight having a truly elite performance ( prior comments are blaming him for the 2nd goal which i disagree with as I think maguire should have covered that )

He did save our arse tonight together with Ronnie as Harry was having a disaster class but even then you did see flashes of what makes him so frustrating with those bizarre moments of pure chaos

I also think Harry needs some rest for now as he has been abysmal and its on ole rushing him back so early even though Eric was available and as he showed tonight on fine form

Hope he keeps it up but with baily I'm afraid that's asking for too much

AndersB

Love him for the nutter he is. He always seems to have a cracker in his first game back in the team. It is usually followed up with some pretty erratic stuff. Let's hope that trend doesn't continue. Though I wouldn't bet my house on it

Status
Not open for further replies.