Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

Jacko21

Benefit in terms of stopping managers from singing average players for inflated fees and having a clear transfer strategy that would be tied to the club's long-term style with players meeting multiple criteria rather than leaving it up to every manager we have(seeing as their styles and preferences differ so greatly)? How many more squad overhauls are we away from coming to particular realization.
Presumbly then you don't rate the signings of Ibrahimovic, Pogba, Mkhitaryan or Bailly. All acquired by Mourinho.

If Mourinho wants Dier, who are you to question his judgement? Bearing in mind, he's one of the most successful managers of all time.

Jacko21

This story needs to die a quick, yet painful death. He's so limited, there is just no way we can't pick up a DM of similar ability for much less from any number of leagues. He doesn't even qualify as homegrown. PL proven is basically his one plus and that is such an overrated "quality" anyway.
If there's one thing Dier isn't, it's 'limited'.

FujiVice

Wonder the reaction if we bought the 2006 Michael Carrick in 2017. Probably get buried for not being Gattuso.

Dong Fangzhuo

If there's one thing Dier isn't, it's 'limited'.
Because he's versatile I assume? He's a very limited midfielder. His passing range is limited, he's limited technically. He has no obvious outstanding qualities as a DM beyond being big and strong.

cheeky_backheel

Benefit in terms of stopping managers from signing average players for inflated fees and having a clear transfer strategy that would be tied to the club's long-term style with players meeting multiple criteria rather than leaving it up to every manager we have (seeing as their styles and preferences vary so greatly)? How many more squad overhauls are we away from coming to particular realization.
That simply results in friction between the manager and the club. You can have a DoF who oversees youth recruitment and possibly wages, but when it comes to recruiting for the first team, the manger should have the final say cos he has the final responsibility. Of course the board should give him a budget but it should his decision on how best to spend it. Responsibility and authority should go together.

The problem of continuity is better resolved via the hiring process e.g. dont hire Pep to takeover a simeone squad.

Rajma

Presumbly then you don't rate the signings of Ibrahimovic, Pogba, Mkhitaryan or Bailly. All acquired by Mourinho.

If Mourinho wants Dier, who are you to question his judgement? Bearing in mind, he's one of the most successful managers of all time.
Well you can't call Ibrahimovic a failure per say, nevertheless, particular transfer held us back from developing a long term cohesive interplay in final third, we're essentially now back to square one with him leaving. Also, result-wise we have gone nowhere.

Henrikh comes from fluent footballing environment built on movement and quick one touch passing now being shored into rigid style where he expected to beat players, that doesn't sound to me like a well thought strategy. Looks really uncomfortable settling in so far at very least.

Pogba and Bailly I'll give you that. However, the point I was making is wider rather than me using it as a stick to beat Jose.

FujiVice

Why does Carrick's name keep coming up here? Dier is nothing like him.
Because he's young, English, very talent and has that "wont get it done here, because he's not a glamour name" tag that people seem to always tar players with. Hasnt got a sexy enough name for some people. Similar to Carrick when we bought him.

I mean, someone on here called Dier a fecking "limited player." If he's limited then feck me, the bar is high.

Rajma

That simply results in friction between the manager and the club. You can have a DoF who oversees youth recruitment and possibly wages, but when it comes to recruiting for the first team, the manger should have the final say cos he has the final responsibility. Of course the board should give him a budget but it should his decision on how best to spend it. Responsibility and authority should go together.

The problem of continuity is better resolved via the hiring process e.g. dont hire Pep to takeover a simeone squad.
Overall fair points you're making. However, highlighted bit illustrates my message - that's one of the core functions that DoF would oversee.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
People argue about the Directors of Football like it has not been the standard for a long time in Continental Europe. So there is a ton of proof that it can work.

Jacko21

Well you can't call Ibrahimovic a failure per say, nevertheless, particular transfer held us back from developing a long term cohesive interplay in final third, we're essentially now back to square one with him leaving. Also, result-wise we have gone nowhere.

Henrikh comes from fluent footballing environment built on movement and quick one touch passing now being shored into rigid style where he expected to beat players, that doesn't sound to me like a well thought strategy. Looks really uncomfortable settling in so far at very least.

Pogba and Bailly I'll give you that. However, the point I was making is wider rather than me using it as a stick to beat Jose.
The expectation is that Mourinho will be at Manchester United for several years. He has the final call on transfers and rightly so.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Because he's young, English, very talent and has that "wont get it done here, because he's not a glamour name" tag that people seem to always tar players with. Hasnt got a sexy enough name for some people. Similar to Carrick when we bought him.

I mean, someone on here called Dier a fecking "limited player." If he's limited then feck me, the bar is high.
Some people here actually want us to sign Jermain Defoe. Not having a "sexy name" is not the issue.

cheeky_backheel

Overall fair points you're making. However, highlighted bit illustrates my message - that's one of the core functions that DoF would oversee.
What would make the DoF better suited than current members of the board?

Even the average fans can see stylistic and ideologica differences between many coaches and there are consulting firms that would profile available candidates for you (which I think is still done even in clubs with DoF structure)

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Absolutely right Chief. He hasn't been as good as last year as he has played CB more often but as a holding midfielder in front of the back for I think he has the potential to be excellent.

Looks absolutely marvellous. His passing is absolutely top notch along with his vision. Seriously don't know why people don't want him. He is class.

FujiVice

Some people here actually want us to sign Jermain Defoe. Not having a "sexy name" is not the issue.
The Defoe thing is more like buying a prostitute to get you through a bad divorce. After seeing the amount of chances we've missed, its messing with peoples minds seeing a 34 year old who can put the ball away.

Classical Mechanic

He would be bought to play CB and DMC. He has made 31 starts in the league for Spurs this season between both positions.

I'm not a massive fan but he can help fill two problem positions for us.

Rajma

The expectation is that Mourinho will be at Manchester United for several years. He has the final call on transfers and rightly so.
Moyes was given 6 year contract with the same expectation (Fellaini says hi). LvG was hired for 3 years with an intention of Giggs taking over him. Now we have Jose and he's been far from success so far and you never know how next season's going to pan out. Everything in the space of few years. That screams amateurish to me.

EDIT: I've got no posts left in my pocket to reply to you @cheeky_backheel, but everything what I've said above illustrates why board was/is awful in recruiting policy so far.

Jacko21

Moyes was given 6 year contract with the same expectation. LvG was hired for 3 years with an intention of Giggs taking over him. Now we have Jose and he's been far from success so far and you never know how next season's going to pan out. Everything in the space of few years. That screams amateurish to me.
And United's response to such an accusation would be that appointing a DoF would undermine their faith in the incumbent manager.

Anyway, this is off-topic.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Moyes was given 6 year contract with the same expectation. LvG was hired for 3 years with an intention of Giggs taking over him. Now we have Jose and he's been far from success so far and you never know how next season's going to pan out. Everything in the space of few years. That screams amateurish to me.

Think we should reserve our conclusions how Jose did in his first season after this season is over, eh? We could end up with 2 trophies and a CL place, would you call his tenure so far 'far from successful' then?

AllezLesDiables

He doesn't do enough step overs, rabonnas, or elasticos. Since he's not a FIFA FUT legend he's a no go

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Brits:
"If he had a sexy name, you'd all want him!"
"Well, you gotta pay the English tax."

TonyMarshall

I'd prefer him over Fabhino tbh. Would be decent defensive mid alongside Paulie.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Because he's versatile I assume? He's a very limited midfielder. His passing range is limited, he's limited technically. He has no obvious outstanding qualities as a DM beyond being big and strong.
Nice shot on him tbf. I wouldn't hate the signing, we do need a decent DM and could do worse than a young, tall, strong English one who speaks fluent Portuguese. Nor would I be hugely enthused by his coming though, not exactly a standout player and I'm assuming he'd cost a few bob.

AgentP

Absolutely right Chief. He hasn't been as good as last year as he has played CB more often but as a holding midfielder in front of the back for I think he has the potential to be excellent.

Just curious but if he was that good last year, how has he lost his place to Wanyama?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I like Dier but £40m you want a guaranteed nailed on starter who can be the best CDM in the world. Stupid price.. when Kante went for cheaper.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Just curious but if he was that good last year, how has he lost his place to Wanyama?
He's had 33 PL appearances this season, most in defense because of all our injuries. He hasn't so much lost his place imo, but has been used slightly differently at times.

devips

If it's a choice between Dier and Fabinho, I think I'll go for the latter, provided the price is not too ambitious.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
I really like Dier, think last season he was the second best DM in the league behind kante, can play centre back, good at pieces, would be a great buy.

But i can't see spurs selling this summer, so i dont think we should waste our time, i'd go after Fabinho

tomaldinho1

Nice shot on him tbf. I wouldn't hate the signing, we do need a decent DM and could do worse than a young, tall, strong English one who speaks fluent Portuguese. Nor would I be hugely enthused by his coming though, not exactly a standout player and I'm assuming he'd cost a few bob.
Not sure why relevant?

I think Dier's a good player but from the three of Dembele, Wanyama and him - he would be my last choice

An Irish Red

We sold Schneiderlin because he wasn't good enough for us so why would we then buy an English version for a massively inflated price?

The 'people just don't want him because he's English' argument is nonsensical as well. I doubt anyone in this forum would be opposed to us signing his teammates Kane or Ali.

3KDré

Think this signing would be pointless. I would understand if he was homegrown but he's not even that.

TonyMarshall

We sold Schneiderlin because he wasn't good enough for us so why would we then buy an English version for a massively inflated price?

The 'people just don't want him because he's English' argument is nonsensical as well. I doubt anyone in this forum would be opposed to us signing his teammates Kane or Ali.
Not really the same style of player. Morgan is box to box and we tried to shoe him into a holding role.

Dier is a centre back/Holding mid.