Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

acnumber9

Not happening.
They just sold a player they wanted to sell for £50m.
The only reason they wanted to sell him is because he wanted to leave. This time last year Spurs fans were busy telling us he was the best right back in the league.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
The only reason they wanted to sell him is because he wanted to leave. This time last year Spurs fans were busy telling us he was the best right back in the league.
You should pop on to some Spurs forums, Walker had many of critics before last season. He may have wanted to leave for money and family reasons but clearly at the end of last season Poch and him had words and hat was really that. Don't get me wrong Walker is a good player but he is far from world class.

Castia

Simply really, Dier isn't for sale, Poch seemingly didn't have a problem selling Walker. The money will be reinvested.
Everyone at Spurs is for sale, you're a selling club like it or not history speaks for its self.

Where do Spurs fans get this attitude from as if they never sell players and Levy is a god in the transfer market? they sell every fecking time, it's unreal Levy must wonder how he gets away with it.

What in the world gives you the impression Spurs would turn down big money for someone like Kane? They couldn't turn it down just like they couldn't turn down Berba, Bale and Modric.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Simply really, Dier isn't for sale, Poch seemingly didn't have a problem selling Walker. The money will be reinvested.
Last season you bagged Jannsen and Sissoko for 50m...

Before that there was the legendary 'Bale spending spree'.

Be interesting (genuinely) to see how well this money gets spent.

I almost think it'd be more wise for Spurs to put it toward wages in order to keep the real big boys (Dele Alli, Kane, Eriksen) happy for longer.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Everyone at Spurs is for sale, you're a selling club like it or not history speaks for its self.

Where do Spurs fans get this attitude from as if they never sell players and Levy is a god in the transfer market? they sell every fecking time, it's unreal Levy must wonder how he gets away with it.
lol it's not that simple, a selling club? We have sold maybe 4 high profile players (Modic, Bale, Berbatov and Keane) in a time where basically we weren't competitive in the league. Levy gets credit from me anyway from dragging our team out of the site midtable. No we haven't had silverware regularly enough but I believe it will come. It's not an attitude, I hate that when any other member on here has an opinion it's an attitude.

Last season you bagged Jannsen and Sissoko for 50m...

Before that there was the legendary 'Bale spending spree'.

Be interesting (genuinely) to see how well this money gets spent.

I almost think it'd be more wise for Spurs to put it toward wages in order to keep the real big boys (Dele Alli, Kane, Eriksen) happy for longer.
Why ignore the players like Alderwield, Ali, Son, Eriksen and Wanyama? Your telling me United haven't spent big on players that didn't cut it?

And the problem with raising one first teamers wages is it's. Or sustainable for us, ice no problem saying that. Year on year our revenue is increasing, hopefully with the new stadium and good marketing we can continue to increase our wage budget as we have done in recent years.

Dier desperately wants to join United. It is a shame Spurs are holding him back.
Quotes?

Last edited:

Castia

lol it's not that simple, a selling club? We have sold maybe 4 high profile players (Modic, Bale, Berbatov and Keane) in a time where basically we weren't competitive in the league. Levy gets credit from me anyway from dragging our team out of the site midtable. No we haven't had silverware regularly enough but I believe it will come. It's not an attitude, I hate that when any other member on here has an opinion it's an attitude.

That's fair enough I just never see a Spurs fan take selling a player on the chin. First when speculation starts super Levy will never sell then when it eventually goes through its like the player is mediocre anyway.

Look st Glaston he's adamant for some reason that Spurs will never sell a player again yet here we are 10 days into the transfer market and Spurs are selling to a league rival. Very odd, fecking deluded honestly.

If we're serious about Dier we'll take him, he can probably triple his salary at United and he's a boyhood fan, Levy will be powerless again.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That's fair enough I just never see a Spurs fan take selling a player on the chin. First when speculation starts super Levy will never sell then when it eventually goes through its like the player is mediocre anyway.

Look st Glaston he's adamant for some reason that Spurs will never sell a player again yet here we are 10 days into the transfer market and Spurs are selling to a league rival. Very odd, fecking deluded honestly.
I can't speak for Glaston, I know a time will come when a high profile player like Eriksen, Kane or Ali will have United after them, heads will be turned and we will find it very difficult (unless we have established ourselves as a true title contender or have won some major silverware). What I do know is like with Bale and Modric before him Levy will do his best for the club and try to find a foreign buyer before selling domestically. He's not the money Demon the media make him out to be, yes he's made mistakes but he's a Spurs fan and will do all he can.

acnumber9

You should pop on to some Spurs forums, Walker had many of critics before last season. He may have wanted to leave for money and family reasons but clearly at the end of last season Poch and him had words and hat was really that. Don't get me wrong Walker is a good player but he is far from world class.
But yet a couple of the resident Spurs fans were saying Walker and Rose were the best full back pair in the league and one of the best in Europe. The rhetoric has changed slightly since it became apparent he was to leave and suddenly Trippier was more than capable of replacing him.

prtk0811

And carrick.

prtk0811

I can't speak for Glaston, I know a time will come when a high profile player like Eriksen, Kane or Ali will have United after them, heads will be turned and we will find it very difficult (unless we have established ourselves as a true title contender or have won some major silverware). What I do know is like with Bale and Modric before him Levy will do his best for the club and try to find a foreign buyer before selling domestically. He's not the money Demon the media make him out to be, yes he's made mistakes but he's a Spurs fan and will do all he can.
Dont think the likes of kane, ali walker rose dier will have foriegn buyers, ever.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
But yet a couple of the resident Spurs fans were saying Walker and Rose were the best full back pair in the league and one of the best in Europe. The rhetoric has changed slightly since it became apparent he was to leave and suddenly Trippier was more than capable of replacing him.
I'm not denying they are up their with the best in the league but Walker clearly fell out with Poch. We preferred Trippier over him basically since the FA cup semi final. There has been rumours that he felt he should have played, that he wanted to move back north for family reasons and I'm not going to deny a wage increase could have been on his mind. What I'm saying is whatever happened Poch ok'd the deal and it wasn't a player power transfer.

I've always defended Walker but he isn't and imo will never be ok that top teir of players. He was utilised very well last season in our system at a wing back not right back. This wasn't a Beebatov, Modric or Bale transfer where the player forced the move, we simply chose to cash in. We're not a sugar daddy club or a club with massive commercial revenue (although this is increasing year on year).

Let's put it this way, United would be calling out massively for Kane to be a United player but they haven't showed any interest. The only reason I can think of is that they know he would be unattainable so haven't moved in. Ali too I'd say would suit United but again no move for him.

And carrick.
Jol at the time wasn't a big fan of Carrick, Mendes actually was preferred over him for what ever reason. So again that wasn't a forced move. In any regard your now going back a good number of seasons.

NK86

Do not want. The player looked like he has never defended the way he played against Liverpool away. Not saying one-of bad matches don't happen but he has never looked special whenever I have seen Spurs play. Would love someone with good skills on the ball to replace Carrick. Dier is not that great to spend 50 mil+ on.

The Perisic and Dier chases don't make any sense to me at the prices being bandied about.

Varun

Staff
I'm not denying they are up their with the best in the league but Walker clearly fell out with Poch. We preferred Trippier over him basically since the FA cup semi final. There has been rumours that he felt he should have played, that he wanted to move back north for family reasons and I'm not going to deny a wage increase could have been on his mind. What I'm saying is whatever happened Poch ok'd the deal and it wasn't a player power transfer.

I've always defended Walker but he isn't and imo will never be ok that top teir of players. He was utilised very well last season in our system at a wing back not right back. This wasn't a Beebatov, Modric or Bale transfer where the player forced the move, we simply chose to cash in. We're not a sugar daddy club or a club with massive commercial revenue (although this is increasing year on year).

Let's put it this way, United would be calling out massively for Kane to be a United player but they haven't showed any interest. The only reason I can think of is that they know he would be unattainable so haven't moved in. Ali too I'd say would suit United but again no move for him.

Jol at the time wasn't a big fan of Carrick, Mendes actually was preferred over him for what ever reason. So again that wasn't a forced move. In any regard your now going back a good number of seasons.
Very convenient isn't it. Spurs fans spend the entire summer shouting from roof tops that you aren't a selling club and then when you do sell a player, "levy okayed it" is branded about and a couple of players still at the club heralded as examples of how you're still not a selling club. Convenient.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Very convenient isn't it. Spurs fans spend the entire summer shouting from roof tops that you aren't a selling club and then when you do sell a player, "levy okayed it" is branded about and a couple of players still at the club heralded as examples of how you're still not a selling club. Convenient.
You clearly haven't read anything that I've posted. Where have I said we're not a selling club? And I said "Poch ok'd it" we clearly sell to buy as the last 5 seasons have showed, but we're not in the market to want to sell our best assets. United have sold Ronaldo, Pique and were on the verge of selling DDG, are United a selling club? I don't think any of my post have an attitude or any WUMMERY to them I'm simply trying to put my views as a Spurs fan across I don't get the attitude tbh. Maybe our definitions of what a selling club is different. The way I see it if we were one all our players would be for sale, if they were why are players like Kane, Ali, Eriksen and Hugo still with us. We could potentially be getting £300-400M for them?

acnumber9

What I'm saying is he wasn't a player Spurs wanted to sell or Spurs fans wanted to be sold until the player himself wanted to move. This refutes the claims Spurs don't sell players they want to keep. Because clearly if the player wanted to stay they would've kept him.

I don't know where you get that idea with Carrick. He started 64 league games for Spurs in two seasons. 35 of them the year Spurs sold him. Mended played 30 with 6 of them appearances the year you sold him.

prtk0811

I personally think what dier does in the midfeild , Daley blind can do it too when played in the middle and with a ball playing defender bought in the summer Blind will be very sparsely used and that should be the new position for him. Darmian can be a back up for shaw.

Should Spend the money on a more dynamic midfeild player.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Clearly remember yourself, Glaston and other Spurs fans claiming that Spurs would not be selling a soul this summer, yet Walker is leaving and Dier may leave as well.

Varun

Staff
You clearly haven't read anything that I've posted. Where have I said we're not a selling club? And I said "Poch ok'd it" we clearly sell to buy as the last 5 seasons have showed, but we're not in the market to want to sell our best assets. United have sold Ronaldo, Pique and were on the verge of selling DDG, are United a selling club? I don't think any of my post have an attitude or any WUMMERY to them I'm simply trying to put my views as a Spurs fan across I don't get the attitude tbh.
No club is in the market to sell their best assets, be it United, Spurs or Swansea. Reason, money in the account doesn't win you points on the pitch. Unlike other club fans though, our resident Spurs fans have tried to rewrite the way market works. We've seen loads of "they signed a contract so they'll need to honour it whether they like it or not", "they'll need to earn a wage hike here and we'll not sell even if they demand a move for higher wages, they should have thought of that before signing the contract" etc etc. When a guy does leave though, it's brushed aside as a poch ok. I'm sure poch would have rather kept Walker, doubt you'll disagree. I didn't accuse you of wummery btw, I have you and balaks down as two of the better Spurs fans we have here.

prtk0811

Why are we targeting Dier when we have him already in the team. He is one ofthe most intelligent player in our team capable to fullfill the dier role On and Off the ball.

Last edited:

Turnbl

I always wondered how he ended up at Sporting. Had no idea he actually came up through their acadamy
His dad Jeremy was Britain's best tennis prospect in the late 70s. He became a pro and was widely travelled. His family decided to move to Portugal in 2001 for the benefit of bringing up their 6(!) children. Eric's Grandfather was Ted Croker, an FA Secretary during the 80s which older Caf members will certainly remember.

Dier has certainly had a different upbringing to the norm: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...gner-says-tottenham-centre-back-10253947.html

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
What I'm saying is he wasn't a player Spurs wanted to sell or Spurs fans wanted to be sold until the player himself wanted to move. This refutes the claims Spurs don't sell players they want to keep. Because clearly if the player wanted to stay they would've kept him.

I don't know where you get that idea with Carrick. He started 64 league games for Spurs in two seasons. 35 of them the year Spurs sold him. Mended played 30 with 6 of them appearances the year you sold him.
Poch is very like Fergie personality wise in some ways I feel, no he doesn't have the silverware but I'm talking as a person. Whatever happened Poch didn't play him as often as he could. You can't speak for every Spurs fan, I'm not that bothered that he has been sold. Yes I liked him and rated him but I trust in what our manager does. Again it comes down to the individual.

I mean that with Carrick the club decided the money was worth more than what Carrick could give. Carrick didn't force a move at all. Anyway how many years ago was that? Lol. I only have one reply left.

Clearly remember yourself, Glaston and other Spurs fans claiming that Spurs would not be selling a soul this summer, yet Walker is leaving and Dier may leave as well.
I never said that, again I can't speak for other Spurs fans. I don't think Dier will leave that's my thoughts on it. If he does it will be for a ridiculous fee that Poch has said "that will do for". Again no one can say for sure, can u say no first team member of your team will leave?

No club is in the market to sell their best assets, be it United, Spurs or Swansea. Reason, money in the account doesn't win you points on the pitch. Unlike other club fans though, our resident Spurs fans have tried to rewrite the way market works. We've seen loads of "they signed a contract so they'll need to honour it whether they like it or not", "they'll need to earn a wage hike here and we'll not sell even if they demand a move for higher wages, they should have thought of that before signing the contract" etc etc. When a guy does leave though, it's brushed aside as a poch ok. I'm sure poch would have rather kept Walker, doubt you'll disagree. I didn't accuse you of wummery btw, I have you and balaks down as two of the better Spurs fans we have here.
While I realise that a "certain" players can force a move under a long contract I don't think all can. Dier certainly isn't one of them. Walker we are potentially looking at £60 in a transfer fee which IMO is good business.

I think the previous sales of Bale, Modric and Berbatov need to be taken with regards their circumstances. Modric and Berbatov were both kept an extra year after they initially wanted to leave. We're never gonna be left in a Sol situation again and Bale was sold for a world record fee. It's not as simple as any club is just a selling club. I don't think it's fair saying about a "Poch ok" as Walker is the only first team player we have sold under him off the top of my head. Oh and thanks for the vote of confidence it can be pretty hostile on here at times lol.

Last edited:

acnumber9

Poch is very like Fergie personality wise in some ways I feel, no he doesn't have the silverware but I'm talking as a person. Whatever happened Poch didn't play him as often as he could. You can't speak for every Spurs fan, I'm not that bothered that he has been sold. Yes I liked him and rated him but I trust in what our manager does. Again it comes down to the individual.

I mean that with Carrick the club decided the money was worth more than what Carrick could give. Carrick didn't force a move at all. Anyway how many years ago was that? Lol. I only have one reply left.

I never said that, again I can't speak for other Spurs fans. I don't think Dier will leave that's my thoughts on it. If he does it will be for a ridiculous fee that Poch has said "that will do for". Again no one can say for sure, can u say no first team member of your team will leave?

While I realise that a "certain" players can force a move under a long contract I don't think all can. Dier certainly isn't one of them. Walker we are potentially looking at £60 in a transfer fee which IMO is good business.

I think the previous sales of Bale, Modric and Berbatov need to be taken with regards their circumstances. Modric and Berbatov were both kept an extra year after they initially wanted to leave. We're never gonna be left in a Sol situation again and Bale was sold for a world record fee. It's not as simple as any club is just a selling club. I don't think it's fair saying about a "Poch ok" as Walker is the only first team player we have sold under him off the top of my head. Oh and thanks for the vote of confidence it can be pretty hostile on here at times lol.
Nobody said Carrick forced a move. He's simply another one of Spurs best players that you had to sell because they wanted to move elsewhere. The Mendes stuff you came out with was pure fantasy.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
His dad Jeremy was Britain's best tennis prospect in the late 70s. He became a pro and was widely travelled. His family decided to move to Portugal in 2001 for the benefit of bringing up their 6(!) children. Eric's Grandfather was Ted Croker, an FA Secretary during the 80s which older Caf members will certainly remember.

Dier has certainly had a different upbringing to the norm: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...gner-says-tottenham-centre-back-10253947.html
I think his Mom got a job in Portugal for Euro 2004.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I'm not aware of anyone at the club right now who wishes to leave, that's not to say we won't be selling anyone of course.

In truth, the United players who do end up leaving the club are generally ushered out of the door, for lack of a better phrase, rather than them requesting to leave for greener pastures. Exceptions being Ronaldo and Di Maria - though I'd say the latter was mutually beneficial to both sides.

I'd agree that £50m for Walker is an incredible deal for Spurs, though. City got robbed.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I'm not aware of anyone at the club right now who wishes to leave, that's not to say we won't be selling anyone of course.

In truth, the United players who do end up leaving the club are generally ushered out of the door, for lack of a better phrase, rather than them requesting to leave for greener pastures. Exceptions being Ronaldo and Di Maria - though I'd say the latter was mutually beneficial to both sides.

I'd agree that £50m for Walker is an incredible deal for Spurs, though. City got robbed.
Pique? And I think Walker's situation may be like Stam's, not saying he is anywhere near as good a player but he crossed the manager and it was seen as a point of no return. I'd say also if Madrid came in for DDG it would be interesting. Anyway this is my last post today unfortunately, not trying to be a WUM.

prtk0811

Pique? And I think Walker's situation may be like Stam's, not saying he is anywhere near as good a player but he crossed the manager and it was seen as a point of no return. I'd say also if Madrid came in for DDG it would be interesting. Anyway this is my last post today unfortunately, not trying to be a WUM.
Pique was surplus to requirements with vidic and ferdinand and a chance to go back to your own country in a top club or sit on the bench in a foriegn country is a easy choice. While De gea is out of madrid's Range Even financially right now.

prtk0811

Glad it isn't just me thinking this.
I know right, Blind is not needed at cb anymore and only a 2nd or 3rd choice at lb, He needs to be slotted in cdm Position as an option or he'll be just wasted. He offers the same dier would. Hope Mourinho Recognizes this.

Last edited: