g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

Nick7

This is getting retarded. Jose needs to get more involved in transfers instead of just ordering Woody to stick to a list he was given in April ffs. We need to be more dynamic. Spending £105m on Dier + Perisic would be beyond stupid. Almost any midfielder/winger could be got at these price points yet Utd stick to wanting these two. Frustrating.
What? José needs to get more involved? Woody is getting him the players he wants why would he need to get involved :lol:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is getting retarded. Jose needs to get more involved in transfers instead of just ordering Woody to stick to a list he was given in April ffs. We need to be more dynamic. Spending £105m on Dier + Perisic would be beyond stupid. Almost any midfielder/winger could be got at these price points yet Utd stick to wanting these two. Frustrating.
That doesn't really make sense. If Perisic and Dier are the players Mourinho wants then him getting more involved only increases the chances of us spending big money on them.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
What? José needs to get more involved? Woody is getting him the players he wants why would he need to get involved :lol:
Because Woody is about to spend fecking £60m on Eric fecking Dier because Jose isn't giving him any new options, that's why.

whatwha

That doesn't really make sense. If Perisic and Dier are the players Mourinho wants then him getting more involved only increases the chances of us spending big money on them.
More involved as in giving Woody new options to go for

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
Mourinho doesn't like flexible players who can 'do a job' out of position.

No way he wants to play Blind in midfield, or Bailly at right back.

Same as he wouldn't play Dier as a centre back.

He makes a decision on a player and their position and sticks to it.
You know this happened, right? Not once, not twice…

RedCurry

He'd improve us, the season before last he did very well at the base of Spurs midfield, he's a Mourinho player, tall, strong, can play a bit, not afraid to get stuck in etc.
Right now the only defensive mid we have is a 35 year old Carrick, so of course he'd be an upgrade here, the question is if he'd be a 60mill upgrade.

Very debateable to say the least, but hes 23, if he could give us 10 years service the fee won't look as bad.
Seems like tall and strong are main criteria with being able to play as a bonus. It should be the other way around. We should be targeting the best deep lying midfielder based on passing and creative ability. Tall, strong and can play a bit can also be said about Bailly but it doesn't make him a good midfielder.

AdNani

Because Woody is about to spend fecking £60m on Eric fecking Dier because Jose isn't giving him any new options, that's why.
Hes spending it on Eric Dier because Jose wants him ffs, he's already got involved.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Seems like tall and strong are main criteria with being able to play as a bonus. It should be the other way around. We should be targeting the best deep lying midfielder based on passing and creative ability. Tall, strong and can play a bit can also be said about Bailly but it doesn't make him a good midfielder.
He's technically very decent and has a decent range of passing despite his size, the point I was trying to make is he's quite cultured despite his rugged size and potential bite in a tackle. Basically, he'd be able to take the ball off our defenders and start moves upfield without too much trouble, he's more mobile and aggressive than Matic at this point in his career.

It seems a lot of us want a deep lying playmaker first and foremost when Mourinho SEEMS to be after an enforcer.

Yakuza_devils

It's frustrating that every player we want to sign the transfer fees suddenly rise up to at least 50-60 mil.

I'm not a fan of Dier but looking at this transfer window where Walker cost 50 mil maybe we should start to ignore the transfer fees and just sign the player Jose need. To be fair to him, he is not asking for unrealistic targets. It's just football inflation, he only ask for players like Perisic and Dier.

I know it's crazy that 2-3 years back 60-70 mil will get you a Suarez! But we have to accept the new norm and move on. Man Utd is big business now and we need to get back to the top.

K_Ash

I dont understand why anyone would want not Dier...we are building around Paul ..Dier is only 23 &beyond EPL proven and has UCL experience! and would totally free Herrera and Paul...Bailly/Lindelof/Dier/Paul/Rom: one powerful and talented bunch for at least a 5-year run.
He would be the perfect fit. I would pick him over Fabinho!

crossy1686

career ending
Same here. Adding on the English player/Utd tax doesn't quite justify the fee, but sort of makes it understandable, at least in the current financial climate. His age counts for a lot too, in terms of ability to learn and adapt, and potential years of service.

If we were to morph into that 3-5-2 from the friendly during games a lot (which I know we may well not), he's actually ideal if you ask me. A decent level of experience in the PL at both CB and CDM, a good fitness/injury record... He'd be expensive but we could do a lot worse.
He's about as 'proven' as we're going to get in that position. I know people aren't happy about the £60m price tag but is there anyone else in the world available in that position for less than that right now? I work with a Spurs fan and he was saying the consensus is that if Dier were to leave, they'd be fine with it because they feel he's one dimensional and they have Wanyama. Levy will sell Dier if the price is right.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I dont understand why anyone would want not Dier...we are building around Paul ..Dier is only 23 &beyond EPL proven and has UCL experience! and would totally free Herrera and Paul...Bailly/Lindelof/Dier/Paul/Rom: one powerful and talented bunch for at least a 5-year run.
He would be the perfect fit. I would pick him over Fabinho!
I agree mate.

Paul and Ander would benefit greatly from Eric's presence in the team. Suchlike freeing up space and doing all the dirty work so they don't have to. Suchlike.

I'd totally pick him over Fabinho.

And under him for that matter.

Rake

I agree mate.

Paul and Ander would benefit greatly from Eric's presence in the team. Suchlike freeing up space and doing all the dirty work so they don't have to. Suchlike.

Not sure how good he really is, looked bang average every time i saw him play last season. Might get a lot better under Jose though.

The thing I hate is dealing with Levy. He will just go online, find a random generator, enter a limit between 60 and 100 and the outcome will be Dier's price.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not sure how good he really is, looked bang average every time i saw him play last season. Might get a lot better under Jose though.

The thing I hate is dealing with Levy. He will just go online, find a random generator, enter a limit between 60 and 100 and the outcome will be Dier's price.
Yeah dealing with him is beyond a joke. Can't see anything happening on the Dier front this window, not while Levy is holding all the bargaining chips anyway.

Next year is our year.

Yeah, I really went there.

K_Ash

I agree mate.

So why is 47 % vs 53%, mate? it feels like it should be at least 70/30.
as good as Fabinho is..that left side of Mendy, Lemar and Mbappe would have devasted any team regardless of the midfield ...then you had the mesmerizing play of B.Silva on the opposite side.
I think Fabinho could be a Little bit overrated around this part.
Looking at Stones and Walker fees...60 for 23-year old Dier sounds about right to me.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
So why is 47 % vs 53%, mate? it feels like it should be at least 70/30.
as good as Fabinho is..that left side of Mendy, Lemar and Mbappe would have devasted any team regardless of the midfield ...then you had the mesmerizing play of B.Silva on the opposite side.
I think Fabinho could be a Little bit overrated around this part.
Looking at Stones and Walker fees...60 for 23-year old Dier sounds about right to me.
Levy has no intention of selling Dier this window, not even for £60m which is far beyond his market worth.

If Ed offers 60, levy will counter with 70. If Ed offers 70, Levy will counter with 80. So on so forth.

May as well put the Dier interest on the backburner for the time being. Levy won't always be in such a strong position, though, eventually the wurm will turn!

Revan

Assumptionman
Indeed. If I was Ed I would have said 'piss off' to Jose so far if he is really insisting to spend 100m on him and Perisic.

Revan

Assumptionman
It's frustrating that every player we want to sign the transfer fees suddenly rise up to at least 50-60 mil.

I'm not a fan of Dier but looking at this transfer window where Walker cost 50 mil maybe we should start to ignore the transfer fees and just sign the player Jose need. To be fair to him, he is not asking for unrealistic targets. It's just football inflation, he only ask for players like Perisic and Dier.

I know it's crazy that 2-3 years back 60-70 mil will get you a Suarez! But we have to accept the new norm and move on. Man Utd is big business now and we need to get back to the top.
What is the point of going for realistic targets if you pay for them unrealistic money? Perisic at 50m would be around as much as B. Silva who is infinitely better, while Dier at 60m pounds would be the second most expensive midfielder of all time. We are talking for the player who lost his place to Victor Wanyama for feck sake.

Better go for unrealistic players for that money then.

Home&Away

To give LVG some credit, he did know what he wanted. He had a plan, an idea of where he wanted to take the team. It was an improvement over Moyes, who had no fecking idea what he was doing at all.

The problem is that LVG showed, over two seasons, he had no idea of how to actually make it work. The players that he had generally weren't suited to what he wanted to do. As such, he had two options. Either change his tactics to suit the players that he had, or to buy the right players to suit where he wanted to go with the team. Or maybe a combo of both, starting with the first and then moving onto the latter in his second season. Instead he did neither. He kept with his purely possession based style, while not having the players to really make it work. And the majority of the players he bought in never worked out either.
Thanks for replying mate. I'm not trying to convince anyone that LVG is a good manager; he hasn't been anything special since his Ajax days infact he has been rubbish compared to many other managers.

However, exactly as you said LVG comes with a plan & this plan in my opinion was to restructure United in to a single formation. Alot of our fans have been saying for some time now that our squad as a whole suits the 352 - I do not believe that is a fluke & Jose can either do that because of the squad or because Chelsea won the league playing that formation.

Forget the possession instructions of LVG; we have a new manager who can play the 352 with new instructions knowing very well that the squad as a whole can hold on to possession when needed - something I think is important in counter-attacking football.

I'm not going to force you to read this; ultimately the time for this has long passed but if you have some spare time - try read it with a fresh mind.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.sq...-he-won-few-friends-or-trophies/676945?amp-on

LVG was a very basic manager, huffing and puffing about possession & defending over anything else - it ultimately showed in our results. Jose can take this on; knowing very well that the squad can do the basics right - and as the article says; Jose is a manager that does whatever he can to make the team win.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....-for-another-manchester-united-glory-era/amp/

I will get ridiculed as usual for talking about this - but a manager taking on the very basics (nothing complicated) of LVG's tenure and building it to their own custom is something I knew would happen before LVG managed our first game.

Us having the chance to play 352 hasn't got anything to do with chelsea. Jose knows what is here and knows that dier is a player who can play CB/CDM that is functional to the 352. Likewise perisic.

Tc

Reactions: Invictus

TrebleFan99

More involved as in giving Woody new options to go for
Or how about not telling the world you've submitted a list of targets and its all on Woodward? Every club you go to is now expecting desperation.

Keep quiet about transfer plans and get $hit done. Love Mourinho but lets see more transfers wrapped up like Lukaku and not a dragged out farce like Perisic.

iportman

Or how about not telling the world you've submitted a list of targets and its all on Woodward? Every club you go to is now expecting desperation.

Keep quiet about transfer plans and get $hit done. Love Mourinho but lets see more transfers wrapped up like Lukaku and not a dragged out farce like Perisic.
Manchester United are the richest club in world football due to marketing and branding , telling the media you have a list of players you wish to purchase is just part of that brand building . Nothing to do with football and whether you have a list of targets or not .

Oscie

As opposed to the clubs thinking Woodward is just guessing, like buying something for your wife's birthday you think she'd like?

What kind of an idiot chairman of another club is going to think that what happened isn't that Mourinho gave him a list of targets, whether publicly confirmed or not

"I'd have sold you this player for a reasonable fee, Mr Woodward. But now I know it is for Jose and not your French whore in Cannes, I must increase the price..."

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Let's move on to the next one Jose! I dont mind paying over the odds for a Lukaku or Pogba, but with Dier it would piss me off

Robertd0803

"I'd have sold you this player for a reasonable fee, Mr Woodward. But now I know it is for Jose and not your French whore in Cannes, I must increase the price..."
Read this in a Bond villians voice which makes it even funnier :lol::lol:

macheda14

I mean I'm pretty sure that's what every manager does... draws up a list of the players they want and ask the people in charge to make it happen. Or maybe the CEO just throws a dart at a list of all players in the world and hope the manager approves, might explain Bebe and obertan.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
I think this one will eventually die in the water and we'll settle for Fabinho or Matić, neither of Jose's first targets but both currently superior players to Dier.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I wouldn't mind him here tbh. Big, strong, tidy player, not spectacular but capable to doing the dirty work. We'd be paying a daft fee no doubt but who isn't these days? I'd prefer him to Matic anyway.

He'd be another player used to the premier league, English, and another indicator of where Jose is taking us. Hardworking players that won't see us bullied off the pitch by the lower sides.

Plus it'd be a laugh seeing him play next to Herrera.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
It's strange how opinions change. Just a year ago he was the darling of the media, with many people wanting him as the next England captain.

Stacks

What is the point of going for realistic targets if you pay for them unrealistic money? Perisic at 50m would be around as much as B. Silva who is infinitely better, while Dier at 60m pounds would be the second most expensive midfielder of all time. We are talking for the player who lost his place to Victor Wanyama for feck sake.

Better go for unrealistic players for that money then.
when you put it like that.......
naturally some have projected Dier as potentially one of the best DMC's around despite him being relegated to CB.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
As opposed to the clubs thinking Woodward is just guessing, like buying something for your wife's birthday you think she'd like?

What kind of an idiot chairman of another club is going to think that what happened isn't that Mourinho gave him a list of targets, whether publicly confirmed or not

:lol:

whatwha

That's what I mean. It puts us in a bad position when Jose announces to the world that A) the list was written months back and presumably won't be changed and B) Jose doesn't want to involve himself any further in the transfer window, not willing to reconsider and switch targets if the selling clubs are being dickheads.

Oscie

So its off then ? Can I celebrate now ? Thanks god
yes let's celebrate potentially the manager not getting the player that he wants.

I'm sure that the club scouting players, watching them in detail and identifying them is nothing compared to a quasi-Fast Show character, who'll emerge from his shed and randomly shout "DO NOT WANT!" and returns back for another week.