g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

stevoc

Very glad that soon we can finally put the Dier transfer thing to bed with the signing of Matic. As I'd said weeks ago he was never leaving Spurs and this was a pure media spin to generate clicks.
Do you think there was any truth in the rumour Dier wanted to leave?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Do you think there was any truth in the rumour Dier wanted to leave?
From what I hear he was always happy to stay at Spurs however if an actual bid had ever been accepted (which the club had said months ago was never a possibility, he was 100% not for sale) he would have considered it. He never pushed to leave - he loves it at Spurs.

stevoc

I think so. He's apparently a United fan. Would have his wages doubled. Would actually have a shot of winning things with United.
I have no idea if he wanted to leave, but as you say we would have paid him more and he probably would have had more games in midfield which i think is his favoured position.

stevoc

From what I hear he was always happy to stay at Spurs however if an actual bid had ever been accepted (which the club had said months ago was never a possibility, he was 100% not for sale) he would have considered it. He never pushed to leave - he loves it at Spurs.
Thats a strange stance to have, i mean i could understand them saying that about Kane but Dier while being a good player is not a world beater. I'm pretty sure if a bid they deemed sufficient had came in they would have accepted it.

On Dier wanting to leave he probably would have been open to the idea. Isn't midfield his preferred position? I imagine he won't play regularly there for Spurs with Wanyama.

Peanut Butter

I feel sorry for Dier being stuck there - he knows we will challenge for trophies where as Spurs are content with the Top 4 trophy.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Thats a strange stance to have, i mean i could understand them saying that about Kane but Dier while being a good player is not a world beater. I'm pretty sure if a bid they deemed sufficient had came in they would have accepted it.

On Dier wanting to leave he probably would have been open to the idea. Isn't midfield his preferred position? I imagine he won't play regularly there for Spurs with Wanyama.
We briefed the media ages ago that we would only allow a player to leave if we were happy to do so - only Walker and possibly Wimmer fall into that category as far as I'm aware and other than them nobody is for sale. The priority is to keep this team together. Diers long term future is in defence imho - he is a starter for us in a variety of positions, including midfield at times. Like I said, he is happy to stay at Spurs - all the talk in the media was mostly nonsense. Would he consider a move to Utd with a massive hike in salary and possibly more games in midfield? Probably. Would he want this so much he would push for a move? No as he generally loves it at Spurs.

Oldyella

Very similar to De Gea with Real last year by the sounds. Would be keen on a move, but also happy enough where he is that does not want to push for it.

AP88

Supports
Man City
I think regular midfield football at United would appeal more than his current role at Spurs though, without mentioning his salary doubling.

I feel sorry for Dier being stuck there - he knows we will challenge for trophies where as Spurs are content with the Top 4 trophy.
I don't think that's fair; they're not far off, but to win the league they have to either invest heavily in a few quality rotational options, or completely abandon a European campaign.

The intensity Pocchettino demands from his players every game requires depth, or competitional priority; Arrigo Sacchi's great Milan side only won 1 Serie A in his 5 season there, despite being widely regarded as the 'best' team in the league. Spurs are the same; they have had the best attack and defence over the past 2 seasons, and accumulated the most points, but struggle to find that little bit extra that makes the difference in a league campaign.

Don't forget how draining the Europa League is too; United won it last season to the detriment of the league campaign. It's a competition who's winners are seldom domestically successful, and Spurs have found themselves in it until relatively late for the past few season.

They're trying to do things the 'right' way, in terms of ethics and priniciple, but perfectionist Pocch will have to embrace more pragmatism next season if he wants to completely neutralise the budget gap that he's so far managed to bridge significantly. If I were them I'd go balls deep in the Champions League, but if they drop into the EL again in the new year they should treat it as a youth competition.

If Spurs had a Chelsea-esque, Europe-free season, they'd win the league at a canter, even without needing to spend hundreds of millions like the Manchester clubs (who they've already easily eclipsed in the past few seasons, despite the relative lack of investment)

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think regular midfield football at United would appeal more than his current role at Spurs though, without mentioning his salary doubling.

I don't think that's fair; they're not far off, but to win the league they have to either invest heavily in a few quality rotational options, or completely abandon a European campaign.

The intensity Pocchettino demands from his players every game requires depth, or competitional priority; Arrigo Sacchi's great Milan side only won 1 Serie A in his 5 season there, despite being widely regarded as the 'best' team in the league. Spurs are the same; they have had the best attack and defence over the past 2 seasons, and accumulated the most points, but struggle to find that little bit extra that makes the difference in a league campaign.

Don't forget how draining the Europa League is too; United won it last season to the detriment of the league campaign. It's a competition who's winners are seldom domestically successful, and Spurs have found themselves in it until relatively late for the past few season.

They're trying to do things the 'right' way, in terms of ethics and priniciple, but perfectionist Pocch will have to embrace more pragmatism next season if he wants to completely neutralise the budget gap that he's so far managed to bridge significantly. If I were them I'd go balls deep in the Champions League, but if they drop into the EL again in the new year they should treat it as a youth competition.

If Spurs had a Chelsea-esque, Europe-free season, they'd win the league at a canter, even without needing to spend hundreds of millions like the Manchester clubs (who they've already easily eclipsed in the past few seasons, despite the relative lack of investment)
Could an argument be made that Spurs are closer to winning a league title than Utd currently? I'd argue this is the case. We are competitive in all competitions and have a decent chance at winning something - we just need that first win to spark it off.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Could an argument be made that Spurs are closer to winning a league title than Utd currently? I'd argue this is the case. We are competitive in all competitions and have a decent chance at winning something - we just need that first win to spark it off.
In terms of ability and team collective, Spurs are right up there with the best of them. Only issue is that lack of winning mentality which increases further every season they go without winning a trophy. Spurs have to win something next season, if not the title then perhaps a cup of some form, using it as a catalyst to further progression, all the while remainining in the top 4. Next season is huge for your lads.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Completely agree. Better first 11, that I'd say only De Gea, Valencia and either Jones or Bailly (ahead of Dier) would get into. Pocchettino is the best coach in the league, but he needs to compromise.

That's the point I'm making; 'competitive in all competitions' but winning none because the small squad is overworked in pursuit of every competition. Pocchettino football is only sustainable with one competition in mind (the league) with an FA Cup run manageable. Everything else has to be sacrificed.

If he can get Lamela and Rose fit, Janssen improves and you add Barkley (who I think the manager would turn into a beast in the deeper Dembele role) then there's a real chance you'll win something.

In the current economic climate, Spurs winning the Premier League would be a victory for football, but I feel Mourinho's going to have enough resources and experience to win it this season.

Enigma_87

You know who
Tbh same can be said about Arsenal - and they always seem to have something missing.

Grande

Certainly, on evidence you are. I wouldn't really say any of the top six are markedly more favorites than the others to win the league, though.

Grande

Completely agree. Better first 11, that I'd say only De Gea, Valencia and either Jones or Bailly (ahead of Dier) would get into. Pocchettino is the best coach in the league, but he needs to compromise.

That's the point I'm making; 'competitive in all competitions' but winning none because the small squad is overworked in pursuit of every competition. Pocchettino football is only sustainable with one competition in mind (the league) with an FA Cup run manageable. Everything else has to be sacrificed.

If he can get Lamela and Rose fit, Janssen improves and you add Barkley (who I think the manager would turn into a beast in the deeper Dembele role) then there's a real chance you'll win something.

In the current economic climate, Spurs winning the Premier League would be a victory for football, but I feel Mourinho's going to have enough resources and experience to win it this season.
Agree about Spurs having a functionally better first 11 as of now. I would certainly find space for Pogba in their team, though. An on form Mkhi too. But 'on form' is obviously a key word, and maybe more dependant on the form of the team than of the player.

cyberman

Football doesn't work in stages though. Each season is different from the last.
The last 3 winners have been sides who weren't in the top 2/3 performers in the season before hand.
All Spurs have shown is they're not good enough to win it while Utd and City are spending millions to reach that level. There is too much turnover in squads to predict successes based on the previous season.

Enigma_87

You know who
I'm fairly sure Pogba will walk into Spurs midfield. Based on last season I'd have Herrera there as well.

Spurs have excellent team no doubt, but it's largely due to Poch.

So far they haven't exactly strengthened either.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I wouldn't say you're competitive in Europe. You've sacrificed it a couple of times in order to finish high in the league. When Liverpool did the same thing they got slaughtered and rightly so.

Squad depth is your main problem, your first 11 is as good as anyone in the league, outside of that I think you fall down a bit below City, United and Chelsea.

It's a strange one cause your first 11 is better than Liverpool and Arsenal hands down but your back up is on about the same level as theirs.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Agree about Spurs having a functionally better first 11 as of now. I would certainly find space for Pogba in their team, though. An on form Mkhi too. But 'on form' is obviously a key word, and maybe more dependant on the form of the team than of the player.
Who would Pogba replace? Wanyama? Better anchor. Dembele? No, better at dominating midfields and keeping the ball ticking over. Eriksen? No, the most productive attacking midfielder in England, alongside De Bruyne.

Pocchettino wouldn't choose Pogba ahead of those three, nor would Ferguson; LVG apparently didn't want him, Zidane didn't, and I sense Mourinho shoehorns him into the team on a compromise. He's not a 10, nor an 8; he's a pragmatists nightmare, but he sells shirts and emojis, and makes United fans think they're an elite team again rather than just an elite club, so Woodward loves him.

Beyond that, Harry Winks will develop into a better possession footballer in the Modric-Kroos mould, and i genuinely believe Ross Barkley has the tools to be a better box to box midfielder than him under Pocch next season; he took the universally ridiculed Kyle Walker and Danny Rose and converted them in £50m fullbacks, and he has more to work with in Barkley.

For what it's worth, I feel Levy made a mistake rejecting circa £50m for Dier; he could have reinvested that into an upgrade defender plus more quality depth elsewhere.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Who would Pogba replace? Wanyama? Better anchor. Dembele? No, better at dominating midfields and keeping the ball ticking over. Eriksen? No, the most productive attacking midfielder in England, alongside De Bruyne.

Pocchettino wouldn't choose Pogba ahead of those three, nor would Ferguson; LVG apparently didn't want him, Zidane didn't, and I sense Mourinho shoehorns him into the team on a compromise. He's not a 10, nor an 8; he's a pragmatists nightmare, but he sells shirts and emojis, and makes United fans think they're an elite team again rather than just an elite club, so Woodward loves him.

Beyond that, Harry Winks will develop into a better possession footballer in the Modric-Kroos mould, and i genuinely believe Ross Barkley has the tools to be a better box to box midfielder than him under Pocch next season; he took the universally ridiculed Kyle Walker and Danny Rose and converted them in £50m fullbacks, and he has more to work with in Barkley.

For what it's worth, I feel Levy made a mistake rejecting circa £50m for Dier; he could have reinvested that into an upgrade defender plus more quality depth elsewhere.
:lol: I like people like you

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

:lol:

red4ever 79

Fair play to Poc keeping this team together, only losing Walker. Take the case of Monaco this summer, seeing their team completely ripped apart. Spurs can build on that. Still think they need someone to back up Kane though and another CB. Surprised they didnt go for Keane.

barmyarmy

Everyday you learn new thing

Your posts are fantastic :lol::lol:

ColvaleGoa

So true. Never thought I would read such a insightful post on Redcafe.!!:D

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Poch would sell Wanyama, Dembele, Eriksen and his mum if it meant Pogba playing in his team.

*edit*

Are you not supposed to declare which club you are a supporter of when you join Redcafe, or were you trying to slip under the radar?

Your posts at least make sense now we know you're not a United fan.

Last edited:

Varun

Staff

Nail meets head.

Not the spot on reference though, I started hammering a nail to my head reading this shite.

AP88

Supports
Man City
The Pogba fanboys are out in force again; if (and I think when) United win the league this season it'll be because of the balance provided by Matic, Perisic and Lukaku, not Pogba.

LoneStar

Wow. I'm guessing Messi and Neymar wouldn't fit in either. Both are nowhere as good as Eriksen and Kane. Who needs someone like Ronaldo when Spurs have Son.

Redcy

Well you gave me a laugh anyway. I think he would walk Pogba in to Dembele's place. Frig's sake, go on tell us who you support. It's clear you haven't been watching Pogba so who are you watching. (No he isn't elite, but he is also not shit compared to Dembele, fecking Wanyama, or Eriksen).

*Going for a crap now, lets see where this goes*

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Well you gave me a laugh anyway. I think he would walk Pogba in to Dembele's place. Frig's sake, go on tell us who you support. It's clear you haven't been watching Pogba so who are you watching. (No he isn't elite, but he is also not shit compared to Dembele, fecking Wanyama, or Eriksen).

For your sake I hope it goes into the toilet bowl.

MDFC Manager

:lol::lol::lol:

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
The Pogba fanboys are out in force again; if (and I think when) United win the league this season it'll be because of the balance provided by Matic, Perisic and Lukaku, not Pogba.
As if being a fanboy of Pogba is a bad thing, we're talking about one of the worlds most dominant midfielders. Appreciating a certain players ability and what he brings to the team individually and collectively is by and large what football fans do.

Who do you support by the way?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Spurs have a strong XI, even without Walker, which is capable of winning things but they have no depth really. Shocked they havent strengthened tbh.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
I must've missed Danny Rose's £50m transfer, who signed him and when?

AP88

Supports
Man City

Dembele vs Pogba, the most underrated midfielder in the league against the most overrated. In a midfield 2, Dembele is masterful; Pogba is an awol shambles.

If Pogba was anywhere near as good as you're implying, he wouldn't be at United; he'd have been snapped up by one of the other clubs Raiola inevitably pimped him to last summer.