Eric Dier | Poch: “He is an important player for us and the idea is not to sell him."

Do you want United to sign Eric Dier?

• Total voters

RedStarUnited

After watching him metaphorically shit himself against Pogba and co for England, no thanks. If he can perform that badly with the pressure off, he'd probably end up locking himself in the toilets when the 5 minute bell goes off on an Old Trafford CL night.
If you watched Kante vs Spain (without Pogba) you would also say he was shitting himself.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
That's what I was getting at. Wonder if he's actively trying to push for the move. He'd have to basically down tools to force Levy though, not these kinds of leaks.
Reported a few places today that while flattered, who wouldn't be, he is happy to stay at Tottenham, there has been a few pics arriving back at training beaming from ear to ear.

Of course it is, how or why would Dier no the figures quoted that United had offered.

AndyJ1985

Reported a few places today that while flattered, who wouldn't be, he is happy to stay at Tottenham, there has been a few pics arriving back at training beaming from ear to ear.
He's smiling at the prospect of joining a club that wins trophies.

NinjaFletch

Of course it is, how or why would Dier no the figures quoted that United had offered.
I'm not saying it's not bollocks, but it's hardly ridiculous to think that his agent is being kept in the loop (or even acting as a middleman for United).

Nick7

Yeah I believe that. That's why I'm confused at Jim White saying it's a source close to the player. I'm sure Dier would love to move here, but wouldn't go out of his way to force it. Maybe it's us throwing a cat amongst the pigeons.

NinjaFletch

Surly United talking to Dier's agent would be considered clear tapping up?
No? That's what an agent is for. We have literally on occasion used a players agent as our representative to the selling club: Pogba being a prime example.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
His agent would have told him obvs

This latest nugget is just the latest in a line of briefings coming from Dier, he clearly wants everyone to know we want him and likewise he wants the move. Ultimately Levy won't budge though bar an (even more) stupid bid

AKDevil

He might not but his agent/family might.

Saf94

It's Dier himself.
Or his agent. In any case if it's true that Dier's desperate to join us then it wouldn't be the craziest theory in the world that he might leak things like this to put public pressure on the club to sanction his sale

ti vu

An agent can represent many different players, even some wank freebie players (agent's method to protect themselves). It's a way for clubs to play around the rules, & tapping up players. Those who caught tapping up was too transparent in their doing with certain player, to get caught. That's all

Last edited:

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
:lol:

That happens in probably every transfer - nothing you can do about it.
No? That's what an agent is for. We have literally on occasion used a players agent as our representative to the selling club: Pogba being a prime example.
An agent can represent many different players, even some wank freebie players (agent's method to protect themselves). It's a way for clubs to play around the rules, & tapping up players. Those who caught tapping up was too transparent in their doing with certain player, to get caught. That's all
You can talk to an agent. Just not the player himself.
Lots of different answers here, surely it can't be legal for a buying club to talk a player's agent regarding transfer fees and possible wages they would get at their club. Yes I know it goes on I just didn't think any fan would really condone it. I mean we all like to laugh at Liverpool for doing it.

I'm not saying Dier wouldn't be interested, I have no idea if he is I can only go from what I see and hear from our side. If Dier is desperate to go he will realease a press statement or hand in a request, are you telling me an agent can't sort a quote with Dier saying the old gem "no player knows where they will be next season" or "United are the biggest club in England". Blah, blah. So far their has been diddly.

NinjaFletch

Lots of different answers here, surely it can't be legal for a buying club to talk a player's agent regarding transfer fees and possible wages they would get at their club. Yes I know it goes on I just didn't think any fan would really condone it. I mean we all like to laugh at Liverpool for doing it.

I'm not saying Dier wouldn't be interested, I have no idea if he is I can only go from what I see and hear from our side. If Dier is desperate to go he will realease a press statement or hand in a request, are you telling me an agent can't sort a quote with Dier saying the old gem "no player knows where they will be next season" or "United are the biggest club in England". Blah, blah. So far their has been diddly.
They're pretty much the same answer, but there's been a few articles on this you might find interesting:

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ansfer-works-from-the-scouting-to-the-signing

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

SirAF

Ageist

We're laughing at them for getting caught!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Cheers am genuinely interested in this, makes a sham of the whole law.

EDIT: I can only see a club using an agent to sell not to actually buy another clubs player.

We're laughing at them for getting caught!
Amoungst other things, their manager being the main one.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

Cheers am genuinely interested in this, makes a sham of the whole law.
It does and it doesn't, clubs have to know what they're working with and get ball park ideas of salary demands, availability and interest. If they didn't there would be a whole load of very amateur looking stuff like City's attempts to buy Kaka where weeks and months of planning go down the drain because they've been chasing a player who doesn't want to come to them.

At that level there has to be some degree of conversation between the two parties.

The law exists to prevent clubs using that contact as a means of negotiating. If you have a dialogue with a player attempting to encourage them to agitate for a move to reduce their price then that is obviously bad. I think it's naive to think that doesn't happen anyway, but you can't completely deny players agents from sounding out the market.

Sorry I also meant to send this article rather than the guardian one, I got confused by the fact it was the same author and similar picture:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ow-a-transfer-deal-really-works-a7837031.html

Sterling Archer

Chasing unobtainable targets is a waste of time.

I really hope we don't waste anymore time on this.

Don't rate the player particularly highly but I do realise that CDM is a position of need for us.
I have the same concern as you especially after the wasted Moyes transfer window. But Dier is hardly unattainable. Messi and up until this PSG story id have said Neymar were unattainable. Harry Kane and Alli, unattainable. But not Dier. It'll be a tough negotiation but feasible.

It's no slight on the player, just that his role at the end of the season dwindled and they have other options to replace him. Big money is what they probably need more than him

stevoc

What makes you think United are unfriendly.

I don't know for certain but i would imagine United are very friendly when they are tapping players up.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer

I don't know for certain but i would imagine United are very friendly when they are tapping players up.
What do you mean by friendly? No professional club will be ringing up agents like "listen here ya wee nutsack..."

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
How do you rate Dier if I may ask?
I like him but he's nowhere near what Carrick is and he won't be so I hate that comparison. Carrick was nearly untouchable on the ball and always seemed to have time on the ball. He controlled a games pace with his range of Passing. Dier is aggressive, technically good, surprisingly fast, good in the tackle and is handy in set pieces into the box. IMO he's rise to "fame" has been helped by how we use him, his ability to drop into defence is one of the main reasons for us improving.

Negatives for him are he gets caught on the ball often and can switch off, as he gets older this should improve. He's no thug but he gives away stupid fouls. As an out and out DM he's good no doubt but, IMO Wanyama is better so take that how u will. I'd be sad to see him go but he's not irreplaceable and I really can't understand why Jose seems so intent and the fee so large.

I see what u did there :lol:

Last edited:

El-Manos

I like him but he's nowhere near what Carrick is and he won't be so I hate that comparison. Carrick was nearly untouchable on the ball and always seemed to have time on the ball. He controlled a games pace with his range of Passing. Dier is aggressive, technically good, surprisingly fast, good in the tackle and is handy in set pieces into the box. IMO he's rise to "fame" has been helped by how we use him, his ability to drop into defence is one of the main reasons for us improving.

Negatives for him are he gets caught on the ball often and can switch off, as he gets older this should improve. He's no thug but he gives away stupid fouls. As an out and out DM he's good no doubt but, IMO Wanyama is better so take that how u will. I'd be sad to see him go but he's not irreplaceable and I really can't understand why Jose seems so intent and the fee so large.
Thanks for the update. You're a much more sensible poster than your counterpart mister Daddy Glaston. Anyway, I would not worry if I were you mate, knowing Levy he won't sell no matter what we bid, unless it's something ridiculous like £70m plus.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Thanks for the update. You're a much more sensible poster than your counterpart mister Daddy Glaston. Anyway, I would not worry if I were you mate, knowing Levy he won't sell no matter what we bid, unless it's something ridiculous like £70m plus.
Ha thanks. I have my opinions on Levy as my username shows, he's made mistakes but I can't say he hasn't transformed us from the days of Dozzell and Rosental to what we are now. We're improving financially and the new training ground and stadium we'll improve us further. No we haven't won anything but hopefully we will get there. Yes he's made mistakes but both him and Joe Lewis are fans and want the best. Levy gets a hard time for being a seller when really I don't see it he hasn't sold a player who made it impossible to keep and when he has he's milked the shit out of it.

As for Dier being sold I don't know if he has a price but what I do know is if United offer a price and Poch gives the nod he will go. Levys learned and has to see that the most valuable person in Tottenham right now is our manager.

Klopp_De_Klown

Think this was answered already... But have you the reports?

Agents used as a buffer to not talk to a player directly something Klopp should of known and them courting Mbappe. You need the clubs permission or near end of contract to be allowed to talk to a player.

Take Pogba for example, do you think we gave Juve permission to speak to him? His agent did it all and we had no say but to sell him or lose him for free and angry at us. And we knew long before he got to 12 months that he was leaving for Juve.

Ha thanks. I have my opinions on Levy as my username shows, he's made mistakes but I can't say he hasn't transformed us from the days of Dozzell and Rosental to what we are now. We're improving financially and the new training ground and stadium we'll improve us further. No we haven't won anything but hopefully we will get there. Yes he's made mistakes but both him and Joe Lewis are fans and want the best. Levy gets a hard time for being a seller when really I don't see it he hasn't sold a player who made it impossible to keep and when he has he's milked the shit out of it.

As for Dier being sold I don't know if he has a price but what I do know is if United offer a price and Poch gives the nod he will go. Levys learned and has to see that the most valuable person in Tottenham right now is our manager.
Lots of reports saying he wants to join United and yes i know they can also be wrong. But this has been going on since before easter. Something is amiss here. He has not quashed the stories.

But I await the reports from above

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Think this was answered already... But have you the reports?

Agents used as a buffer to not talk to a player directly something Klopp should of known and them courting Mbappe. You need the clubs permission or near end of contract to be allowed to talk to a player.

Take Pogba for example, do you think we gave Juve permission to speak to him? His agent did it all and we had no say but to sell him or lose him for free and angry at us. And we knew long before he got to 12 months that he was leaving for Juve.

Lots of reports saying he wants to join United and yes i know they can also be wrong. But this has been going on since before easter. Something is amiss here. He has not quashed the stories.

But I await the reports from above
Pogba was young when he moved I'm pretty sure there is something about young players being alllowed to to look for a contract sooner than an older player.

As for Dier it's jnowen he's a United fan it's just as easy to say he could push a move now the season starts in a few weeks. The media is full of shit I don't blink till I hear it from the player. Even st that Dier isn't big enough to force a move and again no transfer request, let alone him saying a word.

I've read 2 reports saying he's at least content.

stevoc

What do you mean by friendly? No professional club will be ringing up agents like "listen here ya wee nutsack..."
Friendly as in affable, cordial, genial etc. I'm sure United are very polite and light hearted when going about their business of illegally tapping players up.

Klopp_De_Klown

Pogba was young when he moved I'm pretty sure there is something about young players being alllowed to to look for a contract sooner than an older player.

As for Dier it's jnowen he's a United fan it's just as easy to say he could push a move now the season starts in a few weeks. The media is full of shit I don't blink till I hear it from the player. Even st that Dier isn't big enough to force a move and again no transfer request, let alone him saying a word.

I've read 2 reports saying he's at least content.
Ahh cool

Throw them up there so we can all read them and put this to bed