Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Drainy

I'm yet to see anyone criticising our approach for this specific game. Ogden's supposed criticism/questioning was framed as mid to long-term. Winning with 27% possession isn't sustainable, and not very easy to recreate.

Again, it isn't a binary choice between dominating possession and 27% possession. I've seen Liverpool go gunshot for gunshot with Manchester City plenty of times to assert as much.
Yes. Liverpool are very well set up for the high press transition football we've been supposedly trying to ape over the last few years and always abandon since our squad isn't well suited at the moment

hobbers

Feels to me like this was a it of a storm in a tea cup made by journos who now seem to be taking their foot off the gas. Likely was hoping we lost.

Friday they he was 100% gone no matter.

Today its all at risk, could be, decision not made.
Because that’s what the club are briefing. Because they don’t want the decision to look like it was made and the axe falling so close to the final

TrebleChamp99

Incorrectly predicted ten Hag’s departure
It's not a about his performances as a manager it's about their new project and the club reset.

ETH isn't their guy and they don't need to keep him just because of emotional fans sentiments.

It needs to be a logical and cold decision based on how they want to rebuild the club.

Mainoo and Garnacho were at the club before ten hag and will be there after.

Thank you for the trophies but united are not a cup team respectfully.

Once the hype dies from the final hopefully the giddy Ten Hag lovers will take a look at the table once more and are reminded of the champions league. Performances vs Palace etc.

He is going.

Decision made and rightfully so.
INEOS want to make their own mistakes.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've said this.

I think there was some irrational hate for past managers where it became in part a vendetta. I don't think there are many in the Ten Hag out camp that hate the man, we hate being humiliating to watch on the pitch weekly.

If that stopped then brilliant, it is just a lack in faith of his capabilities after the last 18 months.
With the shit house name calling toward him that's not true. There are tons of post with below the belt comments about him from a few here. Thankfully it's just a few, and overall fan sentiment is better than that.

Ole'sattheWheel

Roughly the same luck with injuries as Chelsea, Newcastle and Spurs. All of who managed to finish above us.

Injuries definitely played a part in our poor season. The main reason it was so horrendous though was Ten Hag being either tactically inept or stubborn enough to not accept that his system of playing 1 man in midfield was making us one of the most open teams in the league.

Keeping a man who has shown himself to be that tactically inept would certainly not be "common sense" just because he won 1 match that we just as easily could have lost.
Right and what have they got to show for it? Newcastle have no european football next year, Chelsea in the conference league, Spurs won feck all. We have an FA Cup and are playing the Europa league next year.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It's not a about his performances as a manager it's about their new project and the club reset.

ETH isn't their guy and they don't need to keep him just because of emotional fans sentiments.

It needs to be a logical and cold decision based on how they want to rebuild the club.

Mainoo and Garnacho were at the club before ten hag and will be there after.

Thank you for the trophies but united are not a cup team respectfully.

Once the hype dies from the final hopefully the giddy Ten Hag lovers will take a look at the table once more and are reminded of the champions league. Performances vs Palace etc.

He is going.

Decision made and rightfully so.
INEOS want to make their own mistakes.
This is bit is why I have no idea McKenna is an option.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
You would hope that those decisions are made by experts who are significantly more knowledgeable than the average fan.

Probably haven't been historically at this club but that should be the plan.
But when a significant majority of the fanbase has a particular sentiment its damning. It's not like INEOS have form for starting with good decisions at the clubs they manage.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
You would hope that those decisions are made by experts who are significantly more knowledgeable than the average fan.

Probably haven't been historically at this club but that should be the plan.
That is true yes but the club and the fans should be aligned. You can’t just suggest they totally disregard the views of the fans.

OverratedOpinion

Right and what have they got to show for it? Newcastle have no european football next year, Chelsea in the conference league, Spurs won feck all. We have an FA Cup and are playing the Europa league next year.
They managed to perform better than us on a weekly basis. Showing it is possible.

1 FA Cup does not completely erase looking completely inept on the pitch for nearly 18 months.

astracrazy

Actually it doesn’t. People wanting him sacked still want what’s best for the club. If he stayed and we came out next season flying playing brilliant stuff I’m pretty sure everyone would be thrilled.
Actually it does

Those who want him gone and want to restart the managerial cycle once again should remember success isn't guaranteed under someone else - you'd think we'd have learnt that by now.

What makes you think you know whats best for this club by wanting him to go?

If he goes and if we end up in the same position in two years time, the people wanting him gone can also shut the feck up.

It works both ways.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Don’t rate Ineos this review should have happened already

OverratedOpinion

That is true yes but the club and the fans should be aligned. You can’t just suggest they totally disregard the views of the fans.
How on earth could the club and the fans ever be aligned when the fan base is nearly always split on most decisions?

They should hire people with a proven track record in making the right decisions and let them make the decisions. Fan sentiment should be considered in big decisions but not the driving factor, sack Fergie, sell Giggs ect.

OverratedOpinion

But when a significant majority of the fanbase has a particular sentiment its damning. It's not like INEOS have form for starting with good decisions at the clubs they manage.
I see nothing to say it is a significant majority, I see a pretty even split when I speak to people. Either way, the majority of fans have wanted loads of stupid stuff.

If we had a genuine expert in the director of football role the day we beat PSG and he turned around and said "actually Ole stays on as interim and we stick with our plan" then found the next great manager. That would have ultimately been the right decision.

Fans would have gone nuts.

TrebleChamp99

Incorrectly predicted ten Hag’s departure
They see it like Arteta go for someone young and upcoming willing to take one step back to then make 3 steps forward with their own decision.

I don't know who it will be but that's the logic.

Happy to finish 8th with their guy and the promise of a way of playing they have defined not someone else or someone else's project (eth).

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They see it like Arteta go for someone young and upcoming willing to take one step back to then make 3 steps forward with their own decision.

I don't know who it will be but that's the logic.

Happy to finish 8th with their guy and the promise of a way of playing they have defined not someone else or someone else's project (eth).
That's not cold or logical though.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Really? He’s done an absurdly good job getting Ipswich to the PL in 2 years from League One on the back of excellent football using largely what was an average squad.

United history aside it makes sense that he’s an option for INEOS given everything we’ve heard about a long term plan/vision

CtrlAltDeLigt

If he stays or go, that should be done on a season long review and not a good last game.

But I really admire how he carried himself yesterday, he bit back at the journalists who have been disrespectful since the build up to this final. Imagine you’re at your job and before a big meeting, everyone just keeps questioning your motivation and capability, just being empathetic, it’s a disgrace to do so.

It was a pressure cooker just waiting to burst, and this fight or flight mode is really inspiring. Not sure if we’ll be winning leagues if he stays, but we can probably progress well in European cups.

I loved his line on United being an easy prey, all things aside that is actually true.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
80% plus want him to stay.
Statistically speaking way more people want Ten Hag than like their own family members...

Great job, INEOS! Let's see if you are still dumb enough to feck it up

Wing Attack Plan R

The question to ask is whether you think Ten Hag has learned from the downs this season. If you think he understands why we were so poor in some games, and believe he will do better with some good additions and a deeper squad then I dont think you can make a strong argument to replace him. I can imagine many of the names touted being a disaster by october.

One aspect of injuries that people underrate is training. Even at Sunday league level, it is an absolute nightmare having players out for midweek training, then expecting them to slot in at the weekend. The upheaval has been enormous.

My own stance is that there was a worrying lack of reaction for many months there when the problem in the middle was so glaring. But people forget he was quite flexible in his first season, players were frequently dropped when out of form, and I think he got badly rattled this year, and the CL campaign hammered our confidence - it was awful. But yesterday shows again that he is a good coach, and given his developing relationship with some critical young talent like Mainoo - this is a player we could build a whole generation around - I'd err on the side of giving him another year. Nobody else is going to fix things overnight in any case. The other huge caveat is that its clear he hasnt 'lost the dressing room.' Apart from Palace, I cant remember many games where it felt like we just gave in. It felt all season like we were trying to fix a moving car and just couldnt. The break will do everybody good.

Winning the cup in this manner is brilliant for the squad, we didn't scrape by a lower league side, we beat the very best on the big occasion, and Ive said all season that we're not as far away as people think. We desperately need more ability in some key areas, and some current starters will make very useful squad players.
There’s the rub: we need Ten Hag to say he has learned from the disasterclass that was this season, but there’s no indication he saw anything wrong with having a one-man midfield and giving the opposition the freedom of the pitch to pepper our goal at will.

Tarrou

I was in the same camp more or less but I think the reasons for it make it somewhat plausible

1 - the other options just aren't that good (main reason)
2 - he's just won back to back promotions in his first two full seasons as a manager
3 - has experience at the club

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I see nothing to say it is a significant majority, I see a pretty even split when I speak to people. Either way, the majority of fans have wanted loads of stupid stuff.

If we had a genuine expert in the director of football role the day we beat PSG and he turned around and said "actually Ole stays on as interim and we stick with our plan" then found the next great manager. That would have ultimately been the right decision.

Thing is a proper DOF would not have gone for LVG and then Mourinho meaning no Mates FC later on. It's possible a proper DOF wouldn't have gone for Moyes even with SAF's vote of confidence.

CtrlAltDeLigt

These McKenna rumors are really getting to me, how’s he a candidate ahead of Tuchel/ Poch even.

I’m sure he’s a great manager and one we should be keeping an eye on for the future.

Andre Villas Boas vibes, and we will be ending up nowhere with him at this moment.

We need a charismatic manager for sure, but playing in PL in a tactical system just requires players cut above the rest. I’m not sure we have much quality in the squad and we would be setting him up to fail.

How do you think it’s going to turn up in the media, when he loses some games on the bounce, he’ll be absolutely decimated, can imagine the headlines. Experience is what is needed in these moments.

Once a squad overhaul is in place and Ineos instead of making blanket statements actually deliver some semblance of identity or style of play, we should move for managers like him.

Giggsyking

Really? He’s done an absurdly good job getting Ipswich to the PL in 2 years from League One on the back of excellent football using largely what was an average squad.

United history aside it makes sense that he’s an option for INEOS given everything we’ve heard about a long term plan/vision
Quick, go get Paul Lambert, he's done the same thing. Oh wait, he was sacked by the same club in 2021. :D

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Match going sentiment is significantly for him. Polls significantly for him. Brief from a reputable journalist suggests the same.

OverratedOpinion

Thing is a proper DOF would not have gone for LVG and then Mourinho meaning no Mates FC later on. It's possible a proper DOF wouldn't have gone for Moyes even with SAF's vote of confidence.
That doesn't have anything to do with the point I was making.

OverratedOpinion

Match going sentiment is significantly for him. Polls significantly for him. Brief from a reputable journalist suggests the same.
I think you're just putting a lot of significance on a poll the day after we won an FA Cup that is probably largely filled out by none Utd fans who want him to stay.

Anyway, you missed the point. More fans wanted Ole to be our manager the day we beat PSG with all the emotions running high ect. Was that the right call just because it aligned with fans?

Wing Attack Plan R

Yes, there was an historic injury crisis - but those injuries didn’t happen in vacuum; they were the result of his training regimen, his coaching, and his in game tactics (mostly- some were contact injuries in games). With all the data science and medical metrics it was obvious when players were overtraining. The muscle injuries were to be expected.

I’m more concerned with Ten Hag’s disastrous recruitment of players like Malacia, Antony, Onana, and his stubbornly devotion to them. He didn’t alter tactics to suit the personnel available, and he never figured out a way for attacking patterns to result in predictable chances created; everything was Bruno pulling off an outrageous assist.

I never saw Ten Hag adapt or adjust our approach to counter something in a game. Everything was delayed and reactive. Maybe he can’t say in a presser that we were poor, but him repeatedly assuring everyone we played as hoped - when we were fecking dire - is alarming.