Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The most depressing thing about all this is that you can already predict the moans from the majority if things go wrong.

De Zerbi - won 4 of 19 league games in 2024. How does that qualify him to come and manage United? Ridiculous from the club

McKenna - nowhere near experienced enough for a club of this size. Stupid gamble. What were INEOS thinking

Pochettino - serial underachiever. His Spurs and Chelsea records will be picked apart. Even Woodward wasn't stupid enough to hire him

Tuchel - we knew he was difficult to work with. Look at his record! Was always going to blow up just like Jose did.

All of these guys are being backed now for the simple reason that everyone's decided they need a change, because they've argued for it for so long. Dont care who - get this guy out. All the same posters will be first in the queue to rip them apart for 6 months the first chance they get.
This is a cracking cheat sheet. I'm saving it for future reference.

Bobski

How many innovative solutions are there realistically to keep a team competitive when even the backups to the backups to the cb's are injured and we have to stick Casemiro as a cb, a player that was already having a shit season. When we've been without a recognized left fullback for the majority of the season and we've been forced to rotate between Dalot, AWB, Lindelof (when he hasn't been injured) out there. I mean, christ. How competitive does City look without individual players like Rodri? How well did Liverpool fare when they lost VVD and struggled with injuries in midfield. Teams have key players in key positions that allows them to play as intended, we didn't just lose the key players we also lost all of their backups.

"Throughout the course of the season, 21 Old Trafford players were injured and a total of 1,620 days were lost to those on the sidelines.

This does not include left-back Tyrell Malacia because he was injured before the start of the campaign, but it does include Lisandro Martinez who has missed 214 days from three separate injuries."

Just gotta come up with an innovative solution.
I can't understand anyone looking at the shape Utd played from Wolves to the Arsenal home game and not seeing that as a massive failure of management. Utd were structurally a shambles no matter who was available, first choices or back ups. Injuries in defense and he is still playing an isolated midfielder with massive space between defense and attack?

Structurally, organizationally, tactically, Ten Hag has presided over one of the most inept 9 months (you could push it back to 15/16 months) of football I have ever seen from a major club. Poor results are one thing, but what we were seeing on the pitch was nonsensical, inexcusable. None of it made sense and passed any scrutiny.

Despite that an Fa Cup win has me questioning sacking him but how can we just ignore just how appalling the performance were, how do you trust he will adapt in the future when it took him 50 games of seeing the same absurd pattern repeat itself before he finally made the sensible choice?

redcucumber

The most depressing thing about all this is that you can already predict the moans from the majority if things go wrong.

De Zerbi - won 4 of 19 league games in 2024. How does that qualify him to come and manage United? Ridiculous from the club

McKenna - nowhere near experienced enough for a club of this size. Stupid gamble. What were INEOS thinking

Pochettino - serial underachiever. His Spurs and Chelsea records will be picked apart. Even Woodward wasn't stupid enough to hire him

Tuchel - we knew he was difficult to work with. Look at his record! Was always going to blow up just like Jose did.

All of these guys are being backed now for the simple reason that everyone's decided they need a change, because they've argued for it for so long. Dont care who - get this guy out. All the same posters will be first in the queue to rip them apart for 6 months the first chance they get.
More depressing would be a continuation of the season we just had.

jamesjimmybyrondean

What is his brand of football? This is a genuine question, 2 years and 400m later nobody can answer it.
I was being sarcastic. But to answer your question, I’d say it’s quick transition, getting the ball to the attackers that are exploiting space using long balls or quick one twos. It’s pretty shit though, because we lose the ball often and the midfield structure ETH assembled means we are wide open

Irishman

Imagine sacking him for De Zerbi/Poch who have 0 achievements with their teams. The minute he had most of the squad mostly fit, we were able to stand up to probably the best team in the past 15/20 years. And we did it with academy products. Look at the relationship he has with the players, he never threw them under the bus this whole season. He was praising them all the time. Poch is a bottle job, De Zerbi is not proven, I get Potter vibes.
I think Hag finally got the grip of what it means to be United manager and sacking him in the middle of the project is madness.
At last, Someone with some sense on this forum. I 100% agree.

PeteManic

Imagine sacking him for De Zerbi/Poch who have 0 achievements with their teams. The minute he had most of the squad mostly fit, we were able to stand up to probably the best team in the past 15/20 years. And we did it with academy products. Look at the relationship he has with the players, he never threw them under the bus this whole season. He was praising them all the time. Poch is a bottle job, De Zerbi is not proven, I get Potter vibes.
I think Hag finally got the grip of what it means to be United manager and sacking him in the middle of the project is madness.
Best post I've read on here in a long time.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

If down the line, the new manager (or if ETH stays) doesn't have this team play better with better performances in the league, why would criticizing (what you call ripping them apart) be a bad thing ?

What ?

Sir Hag de Ten

Saturday’s win takes us back into Europe; Mckenna and the Brighton manager will definitely struggle and capitulate with the pressure and expectations here. Poch and Tuchel have just been sacked from their respective clubs for poor performance, In my opinion I think it’s too much of a gamble. I’d give ETH the opportunity to rectify and build on the end of season momentum.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre

Yup, especially McKenna, fanbase simply won't have ounce of patience for that kind of choice, who's by the way easily above decent, for a 38 years old manager.

I'm up to the point where it's Zidane or bust. Players need a huge dose of inspiration and Zizou tbh is the closest thing to a Best / Cantona type of influence.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The Chief Football reporter at The Daily Mail is reporting he will still be sacked

This is what I’ve been saying all along. It’s a matter of timing and PR now. The season review and decision will have happened before the final and the decision made but for PR they are presenting it as a comprehensive and measured decision which takes into account the performance of the entire season, final included and comes to the decision to move him on.

red.knight

Noone has asked for anyone to come in to immediately make us title contenders, so no point using that as an argument. What we are asking for though is ability to get the best out of what you have available, instead of constantly setting us up to fail.

Injuries have made it significantly harder I agree, but the tactical issues have been evident since the first match with pretty much a full squad for the first matches of the season (which included pretty much the same loss rate). We have been dreadful regardless of opposition for pretty much the entire season. Since your argument is about progress; what progress has there been this season? Underlying metrics had us racing to the bottom, embarrassing results have been frequent.

I'll give him praise for keeping faith in the youngsters, and keeping squad harmony (from the outside looking in) in check despite embarrassing results all over.
I agree that we had a very poor season, but as I mentioned there are several factors to consider before making any drastic decisions. Injuries to key players, off-field issues, etc. We have seen glimpses of what he can achieve with a fully fit squad. He has a track record of success, and a commitment to youth development. It's essential for INEOS to look at the bigger picture and give him the time needed to build a team capable of competing at the highest level. Winning trophies while building the future team with the likes of Kobbie, Garnacho, Hojlund, Martinez, Dalot, Shaw, Onana, Bruno, etc is a progress for me.

The Urban Goose

100%

Chumpsbechumps

I can't understand anyone looking at the shape Utd played from Wolves to the Arsenal home game and not seeing that as a massive failure of management. Utd were structurally a shambles no matter who was available, first choices or back ups. Injuries in defense and he is still playing an isolated midfielder with massive space between defense and attack?

Structurally, organizationally, tactically, Ten Hag has presided over one of the most inept 9 months (you could push it back to 15/16 months) of football I have ever seen from a major club. Poor results are one thing, but what we were seeing on the pitch was nonsensical, inexcusable. None of it made sense and passed any scrutiny.

Despite that an Fa Cup win has me questioning sacking him but how can we just ignore just how appalling the performance were, how do you trust he will adapt in the future when it took him 50 games of seeing the same absurd pattern repeat itself before he finally made the sensible choice?
Who is ignoring anything ? People who want to give him another year aren’t ignoring anything , they are looking at all the variables, not just the negative ones being relentlesssly repeated on social media and pundits.

- everybody has injuries - no in depth research to back up that uniteds injuries have been any different.
- every manager has to deal with player issues - what manager at a top club has had to deal with 4 serious player issues (very public)
- every manager has to deal with problems - what other manager has had to deal with their club being for sale and their and others future were up in air most of the time they are there
- lots of money spent - over double spent by Chelsea in the same time , nobody is blaming all their managers for them doing no better then us

SJR has bought the club to change how it’s run. He said flat out that every single United manager was let down by the structure in place. This includes recruitment, identifying, buying , contract negotiations and selling.

Given all this , I think season 1 was good to deserve some credit. Season 2 felt like an experimental one in many ways and probably should have been season 1 (club that needed open heart surgery).

I’d share concerns that others have mentioned but don’t feel whatever happens next season or in transfer window will hurt us as there is a longer term plan in place. So don’t see another year of him as a big risk ,

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Wish him all the best in the future!
Despite all his shortcomings, he provided incredible moments for us. Will never forget the elimination of Barcelona, the whole FA cup run this year, the great and convincing wins against Arsenal, Liverpool and City at Old Trafford. The carabao final to shut down overly annoying Newcastle fans was also a joy. And the great work with our academy youngsters!
Thank you, Eric!

mk7

Funny thing is that he was most successful using a formation that was also the favored formation of Rangnick.

Nori-

Very odd situation.

ETH hasn't been great this season and should really be moved on, but there is no one that excites United fans enough to replace him with.

Whichever way this goes, I don't think INEOS can win.

The Urban Goose

Who is ignoring anything ? People who want to give him another year aren’t ignoring anything , they are looking at all the variables, not just the negative ones being relentlesssly repeated on social media and pundits.

- everybody has injuries - no in depth research to back up that uniteds injuries have been any different.
- every manager has to deal with player issues - what manager at a top club has had to deal with 4 serious player issues (very public)
- every manager has to deal with problems - what other manager has had to deal with their club being for sale and their and others future were up in air most of the time they are there
- lots of money spent - over double spent by Chelsea in the same time , nobody is blaming all their managers for them doing no better then us

SJR has bought the club to change how it’s run. He said flat out that every single United manager was let down by the structure in place. This includes recruitment, identifying, buying , contract negotiations and selling.

Given all this , I think season 1 was good to deserve some credit. Season 2 felt like an experimental one in many ways and probably should have been season 1 (club that needed open heart surgery).

I’d share concerns that others have mentioned but don’t feel whatever happens next season or in transfer window will hurt us as there is a longer term plan in place. So don’t see another year of him as a big risk ,
Another 100%

Gfooty

Booting Ten Hag and getting De Zerbi who's won 1 game in the last 10 tells you all you need to know about the new management. Same goes for Poch who's won feck all besides some french silverware which a blind donkey would win with that PSG team

Moriarty

According to the Guardian, SJR has approached De Zerbi after being impressed with the way he guided Brighton into Europe last year. Won no cups mind, but got Brighton into Europe. I hope this is a nothing story.

Amarsdd

Very odd situation.

ETH hasn't been great this season and should really be moved on, but there is no one that excites United fans enough to replace him with.

For this decision, its a proper lose-lose situation for INEOS. Whatever decision they make, 50% of the fanbase will be calling them clueless, same/worse than Glazers, and what not.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

And what if he's stays and we're still woeful? "Why on earth didn't we sack him?!"

If we're still bad of course there will be hindsight type posts.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
They've been told to sit deep.

Also explain why they can't when loads of defenders without pace play in a high line?

And Maguire and Evans aren't even that slow despite not being lightning quick. Varane is pretty fast yet he's been told to sit deep as well.
You're fooling yourself mate. They weren't told to sit deep, they did it themselves because when they didn't they gave away goals like at Palace. Maguire and Evans are slow as paint and turn like oil tankers. And the only place you can play a high line with slow players is Italy and Germany. Try it in the EPL and you get what you're given.

Do you actually think ETH told the team to leave midfield empty except for Casemiro? Does that sound like a sane thing to do?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
According to the Guardian, SJR has approached De Zerbi after being impressed with the way he guided Brighton into Europe last year. Won no cups mind, but got Brighton into Europe. I hope this is a nothing story.
Wtf is he expected to win ?

The Bloody-Nine

Booting Ten Hag and getting De Zerbi who's won 1 game in the last 10 tells you all you need to know about the new management. Same goes for Poch who's won feck all besides some french silverware which a blind donkey would win with that PSG team
Good thing neither have been appointed then, isn't it.

The Urban Goose

They could have simply by giving him another season. They could just have said there have been lots of changes behind the scenes, it wasn't the right time to also change the manager. If he was a success, they win. If he did poorly, never mind, the structure is now in place etc.

As it is they've made themselves look as bad as the Glazers and put themselves under huge pressure to hire a manager who is clearly better. If the new man doesn't achieve top 4 now, they'll all look prize plums.