Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If we get Onana and Hojlund then over half the team will finally be ETHs. Striker, RW, 2 midfielders, CB and goalie.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
If we get Onana and Hojlund then over half the team will finally be ETHs. Striker, RW, 2 midfielders, CB and goalie.
With Varane, Bruno, Rashford, Shaw already there. He will have to start delivering even more.

Only our right backs are average.

The No.10!

The guy has phased out Harry Maguire calmly, has had the confidence to remove DDG from the club in the best possible manner, and has given players chances before binning them circa Fred, Sancho.
The only place he can improve right now is to trust the younger ones more, but I also understand why he has been reluctant in his first season. Something tells me that IF we are to continue with this trajectory next year, we will see a lot more of the likes of Diallo and Facu.

Edit: Not to mention the Ronaldo fiasco. Extremely impressive.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think Mount will bring alot to United, that why ETH prioritize him over other players. I really think Mount will be a transformative player, we will press alot better with Mount and there will alot passing and movement with Rashford and Bruno. I think Hoijund seems average, I sincerely hope he would surprise me by banging 15-20 goals. We will likely finish top 4 again this season.

Pavl3n

I haven't posted in this thread, but after it's official that De Gea left, I can congratulate our manager for booting out yet another player who is below the level we aspire to be. I hope he finds a way to kick out that big head prck.

Halftrack

I haven't posted in this thread, but after it's official that De Gea left, I can congratulate our manager for booting out yet another player who is below the level we aspire to be. I hope he finds a way to kick out that big head prck.
Classy.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
The guy has phased out Harry Maguire calmly, has had the confidence to remove DDG from the club in the best possible manner, and has given players chances before binning them circa Fred, Sancho.
The only place he can improve right now is to trust the younger ones more, but I also understand why he has been reluctant in his first season. Something tells me that IF we are to continue with this trajectory next year, we will see a lot more of the likes of Diallo and Facu.

Edit: Not to mention the Ronaldo fiasco. Extremely impressive.
There is nothing that suggests he wants rid of sancho. Also you mean, e.g. not circa.

RedOrange

EtH would sell Sancho tomorrow if he had the people at the club to execute.
Probably the biggest misconception among United fans is this idea that the executives are "bad at selling". Most United players are on wages other clubs can't afford and if we want rid of a player it's because they're vastly underperforming for those wages.

The problem isn't "sales talent" it's that the club doesn't have much of anything anyone wants to buy.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Probably the biggest misconception among United fans is this idea that the executives are "bad at selling". Most United players are on wages other clubs can't afford and if we want rid of a player it's because they're vastly underperforming for those wages.

The problem isn't "sales talent" it's that the club doesn't have much of anything anyone wants to buy.
We can sell him for 50m and use part of the money to make up the difference for his wages, so he leaves.

It's about willingness to move on and the Glazer ideology of keeping the book value.

And lastly, who the feck gave him those wages anyway? When was Murtough appointed?

Caellum

ETH is the real deal, and we must stick with him, we must not get carried away it took SAF 6 years to win the title, Klopp took 7 years at Anfield so please recognise that while ETH has done a grest job, United are at least another 2 summer windows away from building a squad capable of challenging consistently for all trophies, the spine of the team Varane, Bruno, Casemiro and Eriksen are all close to or in their 30s, an will soon need replacing, at the same time United have released 7 of our academy players, and a long way from having youth set ups to rival City, Arsenal Liverpool and Chelsea.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Very worried about the prospects of having a LVG esque summer window as our targets so far do seem a bit too risky for my taste but I'd be remiss if I didn't opt to support him anyway.

He's got enough credit in the bank and seemingly a clear blueprint to put us on a path to play a more modern way of football, that's more than enough for now.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Very worried about the prospects of having a LVG esque summer window as our targets so far do seem a bit too risky for my taste but I'd be remiss if I didn't opt to support him anyway.

He's got enough credit in the bank and seemingly a clear blueprint to put us on a path to play a more modern way of football, that's more than enough for now.
Who exactly is this LVG esque signing?

Eddy_JukeZ

The only 'risky' target is Hojlund. Onana isn't risky at all.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Mason Mount has been signed to play the role of progressing the ball from the defence to the forwards and joining the attack. Caicedo isn't that kind of player. It's one of the most important roles in the squad and we only have 30+ Christian Eriksen to do it. We struggled mightily when Eriksen wasn't available last year and he had to be subbed off after 60 minutes in a lot of matches even when he was fully fit, plus he leaves a lot to be desired in other areas. It really would not have made sense to forego a player who fills an immediate need to buy a more expensive player who doesn't on the off chance he'll still be available a year from now. On top of that it's likely that spending the extra 20-40 million on Caicedo would preclude buying a new keeper or striker this season.
This isn't true.
Mason Mount role was never to progress the ball from the defense. Caicedo does that but he doesn't travel that high up the pitch as Mount (who plays attacking 8/ #10 role).
We didn't struggle when Eriksen wasn't available. We probably peaked with Casemiro-Fred midfield against Barca. We struggled massively when Casemiro wasn't available and this issue remains active.

One of two things will happen: we will either ask Mount to play a role he has never played regularly in the past, or we are going to have very offensive setup with no single midfielder who is good at keeping the ball / possession play (what means we will play tennis games quite often).
Caicedo would've been more expensive but he would give us another dimension as he's good at beating press, keeping the ball and can cover for Casemiro. Mount gives us more goals (on paper, because we don't know how he will get deployed).

Pavl3n

This isn't true.
Mason Mount role was never to progress the ball from the defense. Caicedo does that but he doesn't travel that high up the pitch as Mount (who plays attacking 8/ #10 role).
We didn't struggle when Eriksen wasn't available. We probably peaked with Casemiro-Fred midfield against Barca. We struggled massively when Casemiro wasn't available and this issue remains active.

One of two things will happen: we will either ask Mount to play a role he has never played regularly in the past, or we are going to have very offensive setup with no single midfielder who is good at keeping the ball / possession play (what means we will play tennis games quite often).
Caicedo would've been more expensive but he would give us another dimension as he's good at beating press, keeping the ball and can cover for Casemiro. Mount gives us more goals (on paper, because we don't know how he will get deployed).
So he does or he doesn't ?! :wenger: :lol::lol::lol:

Borys

Statistics Wizard
So he does or he doesn't ?! :wenger: :lol::lol::lol:
Read carefully. I said " Mason Mount role was never to progress the ball from the defense". He picks up the ball in already advanced areas and can drive it to the box. Not sure what's hard to understand here.
I agree with the posted we needed a player to pick up the ball from defense and progress it forward, but Mount was never the guy to do that.

We Need Another Rebuild

I think we are evolving to a High Press - 4-3-3.

With the signings of Mount to play a Free 8 similar to the role Bruno has, leaving Casemiro to play as a single pivot.

The signing of Onana obviously improves our ability to play out from the back, but also due to him being a sweeper keeper allows us to press high up the pitch condensing the space for teams, which should lead to more control of games, should also limit the ability for teams to play through our midfield with 2/3 passes and lose all the pressure we have applied.

The signings we are linked with are younger profiles with high energy and high work rate, clearly shopping for specific traits as well as talent.

Crimson King

Every signing is risky, no player is a sure thing.

Judas

Open to offers

So now its a negative we're making risky signings? Don't think they're even that risky so far.

What sort of signings do you want?

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
This isn't true.

We definitely did.

We even saw us regularly struggle within games, once his influence waned when he tired after half time.

Idxomer

There is a much more obvious reason for our struggle in the league after the City game and it's not Eriksen.

crossy1686

career ending

Although I’m not particularly fond of the Mount signing, it makes sense when you see Onana is the next player to come in.

The signing of Mount and Onana replaces the spine of our team and almost fully transitions us from a relational based system (more creativity and individual greatness needed with strong connections between players) to a more heavily structured systematic system like what Pep employs.

The problem last season was that we were halfway between both systems which resulted in us being totally shite when one or two players were taken out of the system.

So as you suggested, these risky signings aren’t actually risky at all, they’re systematic players that can adhere to a very rigid system and know their roles well. It’s just not what we’re used to.

Conversely, we would have an absolute disaster this coming season if we’d gone out and bought the names being touted in here at the start of the window because they’re simply not system players. We’d have been again relying on big names to pull us out of the shit, and we all know how that ends.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
We definitely did.

We even saw us regularly struggle within games, once his influence waned when he tired after half time.
We definitely did. We lost any control when he was getting tired, and very often ETH wasn't quick enough to react. Quite clearly he only rated Eriksen in that role and played him whenever he could.

However, when he was not available due to injury I think we did very well with Casemiro - Fred&co midfield.

This is a list of games when Eriksen was not available. We've beaten Barca and won the Cup against Newcastle. I don't see any strong evidence we struggled without Eriksen. I think the team (Fred and Bruno in particular) did exceptionally well.

NLunited

We definitely did. We lost any control when he was getting tired, and very often ETH wasn't quick enough to react. Quite clearly he only rated Eriksen in that role and played him whenever he could.

However, when he was not available due to injury I think we did very well with Casemiro - Fred&co midfield.

This is a list of games when Eriksen was not available. We've beaten Barca and won the Cup against Newcastle. I don't see any strong evidence we struggled without Eriksen. I think the team (Fred and Bruno in particular) did exceptionally well.
My impression is that we did indeed have less control without Eriksen. Casemiro/Bruno/Fred works in a pinch, but none of them can distribute like Eriksen can. Takkng on the distribution really is not Bruno‘s strong suit.
With Eriksen back in the team, we would struggle in the second half of games with Eriksen looking knackered.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
My impression is that we did indeed have less control without Eriksen. Casemiro/Bruno/Fred works in a pinch, but none of them can distribute like Eriksen can. Takkng on the distribution really is not Bruno‘s strong suit.
With Eriksen back in the team, we would struggle in the second half of games with Eriksen looking knackered.
I didn't get that impression, mostly because it was very rare that we actually had control. Eriksen looks elegant on the ball, especially when nobody is pressing him, but that is rarely the case. I think Eriksen has been great for us, but ETH overplayed him regularly and overall his impact was a bit overrated because he did very little off the ball - and I struggle to understand why people don't see that. The team looking knackered around 60th minute IMO is also a result of just a few players doing the running. This comment is not for you, but the CAF in general. Feels like we have not learnt our Pogba lesson.