Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 646 44.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 794 55.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

UDontMessWith24

Before moaning about the transfer window, it’s important to consider that we needed both depth and big signings. There was absolutely no way for us to get both.

From what our resident Ajax supporters have shared we have a manager that at times will rotate strategically for different opponents, but not only is there no depth, there’s no balance in this midfield group. We sold Fred, Mainoo got hurt (We don’t know if he would have been any good but he definitely going to be counted on) and we have to wait for Amrabat because we have to sell to spend another $30 million. The one signing you can call a big signing was Hoijland, and he hasn’t played yet.

So far, our biggest issues (as we knew) have been finishing/movement in the box and a plethora of midfield related issues, which is why the plan was always to buy more than one.

Let’s wait and see what happens when these players get integrated, cause right now it’s just last year’s team with a different goalie.

M16Red

Saw this earlier

Points in their first 40 Premier league games..

Pep - 87
ETH - 82
klopp - 65
Arteta - 69

NLunited

Over the years on here I’ve heard this exact same thing for Moyes. LVG, Mourinho, Ole and Rangnick.

There is something massively wrong at this club :(
Not Mourinho, Ole and Rangnick.

Mourinho was hired to have an immediate impact, Ole was an unproven manager and Rangnick an interim.

LvG could have been long term had it worked out, since then only one manager with modern ideas was hired to change our playstyle to something more modern and better.

Erik Ten Hag. To break the chain of unsuccessful managers we need to stick with him. Arteta and Klopp weren’t successful right off. Ten Hag is our Klopp.

Shiva87

Bit of a weird thing to say after the team came back from being down 2-0 two win 3-2. The two players who were most directly to blame for the goals both played very well afterwards as well.
it isn’t about the one game- it’s just something that Erik needs to work on. Our up and down performances with low consistency is a clear sign of that.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Not Mourinho, Ole and Rangnick.

Mourinho was hired to have an immediate impact, Ole was an unproven manager and Rangnick an interim.

LvG could have been long term had it worked out, since then only one manager with modern ideas was hired to change our playstyle to something more modern and better.

Erik Ten Hag. To break the chain of unsuccessful managers we need to stick with him. Arteta and Klopp weren’t successful right off. Ten Hag is our Klopp.
My point was that the same thing (he needs more time etc) was said about all of those managers by posters on Redcafe.

NLunited

My point was that the same thing (he needs more time etc) was said about all of those managers by posters on Redcafe.
Yes, erroneously. Mourinho and Ole are both counterattacking coaches. You would not expect either of those two to build a modern attacking side.

Since then the PL has only got harder with more money for the lower teams and many good modern managers. The other top four contenders are spending heavily as well, basically the amount of competition for top four is unprecedented.

All the more reason to give Hag time.

mav_9me

As this clearly shows, we are just dependent on individuals to have good moments./s

YSB99

Supports
Machester United FC
Thinking that managers can overcome bad recruitment. It's always the players on the pitch that matter most.
He’s the one buying the players, clearly, they’re all from the Dutch league, we’re formerly managed by him, have the same agent as him, they’re his signings

Casemiro the exception
And apparently he pushed for Mount

This is one of the biggest problems we have, letting managers buying who they want and then when they’re sacked the new manager doesn’t want them/can’t use them, we need a proper director or football and the manager being hired to suit the players he’s bought

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

As this clearly shows, we are just dependent on individuals to have good moments./s
Is that supposed to be some sort of 'gotcha'? There's lesser teams in this league that create chances like that numerous times throughout a game. Forest played into our hands yesterday with how they tried to approach 75 minutes of football. The last 10 minutes when they decided to play again they gave us a game, even with ten men.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Is that supposed to be some sort of 'gotcha'? There's lesser teams in this league that create chances like that numerous times throughout a game. Forest played into our hands yesterday with how they tried to approach 75 minutes of football. The last 10 minutes when they decided to play again they gave us a game, even with ten men.
That's very much exaggerated. We played a lesser team yesterday and I cant remember a single attack of theirs that went that way.

mav_9me

That's blatantly false. Even if that were true, that has nothing to do with us.

The point I was making is very clear. I am pointing out how we have proper team play, arguing against those who say we don't have any good team play.

Forest giving us a game in the last 15 mins or so, while I agree, has nothing to do with the point of the post.

city-puma

Gordon just put newcastle ahead against Liverpool.
the Glazers have really let the club down. There are so many transfer opportunities in January and summer. We can’t make any strategic transfers due to their ownership. And our summer transfer window has become absolutely farcical due to the limitations they enforce. Seeing those really promising players grabbed by newcastle, Chelsea, etc, depressing.

NLunited

the Glazers have really let the club down. There are so many transfer opportunities in January and summer. We can’t make any strategic transfers due to their ownership. And our summer transfer window has become absolutely farcical due to the limitations they enforce. Seeing those really promising players grabbed by newcastle, Chelsea, etc, depressing.
Mostly agree with that. We should be doing long term squad planning. That will also prevent us from wasting transfer funds as we have been in the last 10 years.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I mean we've spent 160m this summer. I hate the Glazers as much as anyone but it's not like we haven't supported ETH. We grabbed his top GK choice, top midfield choice, and favorite non-Kane striker.

But it's also ETH's decision to retain McTominay when it's plain as day we need another midfielder. He also allowed Fred to leave without replacing him, who for all his faults at least had utility. And to top it all off he insisted we spend 80m last summer on what is probably a bottom of the table level winger and start him every game.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Aye, Newcastle completely incredible today ...

NLunited

Did you watch the game? NUFC were dreadful, awful just fecking horrible to watch. Playing against ten men. They deserved to have the game taken away from them.

Gordon looked good, but we have Garnacho who is just as talented, if not more.

mav_9me

Did you watch the game? NUFC were dreadful, awful just fecking horrible to watch. Playing against ten men. They deserved to have the game taken away from them.

Gordon looked good, but we have Garnacho who is just as talented, if not more.
Yep. I'd take Garnacho over Gordon every day.

georgipep

How is Gordon scoring for Newcastle somehow evidence to support the Glazers have let the club down?

We have spent A LOT already. What do you want? To buy every player in the world?

Piskin

For all their faults the Glazers are not at fault, we have spent unreal money on bad players since 2005, the best of the lot was Van Persie. Will give Ten Hag until the end of this season to see if we are where we should be to be a top team again.

Zen86

For all their faults the Glazers are not at fault, we have spent unreal money on bad players since 2005, the best of the lot was Van Persie. Will give Ten Hag until the end of this season to see if we are where we should be to be a top team again.
Woodward played a starring role over the last 10 years but the Glazers are the common denominator. Their ownership has been a disaster, initially papered over by Fergie.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
How is Gordon scoring for Newcastle somehow evidence to support the Glazers have let the club down?

We have spent A LOT already. What do you want? To buy every player in the world?
Where I think the Glazers have screwed us, in terms of squad building, despite spending a load of money is the way we seem to take forever to make big decisions about anything. The Greenwood saga really highlighted this. Throw that level of indecision, can kicking and wooly thinking into the mix when you’re trying to sign the best players in the world and you can see why our transfer record is so poor compared to other clubs with similar spend.

Same shit applies to negotiating contracts with players already at the club. Hence our potentially most valuable players end up leaving on a free and we can’t seem to offset any of the cost of our spending. It’s a total shit show and wouldn’t happen with owners who were either capable of being decisive or willing to allow people who understand football the autonomy they need to make those decisions quickly.

Melvin Udall

Woodward played a starring role over the last 10 years but the Glazers are the common denominator. Their ownership has been a disaster, initially papered over by Fergie.
The Glazers are awful, but that’s because they haven’t hired quality football people to manage the club’s operations, despite a decade of post-SAF evidence to show how badly it’s needed. Pure financial support for the squad has not been an issue, even if they’ve taken millions out of the club.

Baneofthegame

They could have, I don’t know……put in a proper footballing structure once the GOAT retired?

Nah just spend money with no direction as a club for 10 yeara.

Piskin

I think Ferguson is the common denominator in all this.

Zen86

The Glazers are awful, but that’s because they haven’t hired quality football people to manage the club’s operations, despite a decade of post-SAF evidence to show how badly it’s needed. Pure financial support for the squad has not been an issue, even if they’ve taken millions out of the club.
They’ve spent on transfers and wages as a knee jerk reaction while letting the rest of the club infrastructure rot. Academy, OT, etc. They’ve taken far more out of the club than they’ve put in.

Cathy Ferguson

Who is small and slow?

We need more technical players, not Maguires and McTominays.
Antony, Malacia, Eriksen, Mount and Martinez are all rather short. Antony, Malacia and Martinez have decent speed but none of the players has outstanding pace. Both goals yesterday originated from losing physical battles. Sometimes you need a McTominay in there even though he lacks ability on the ball. Mount is a fine player but imho not what we need.

JuriM

It is a major concern that ETH seems ok to sign small, slow technical players. The loss of Shaw will exacerbate this but hopefully Höjlund can hit the ground running and contribute some physicality. Not least CM is crying out for some pace and power.
On your merit not a single La Liga side that has faced English side in Europa should have had a chance :D As they are usually significantly smaller* and don't have that much empathises on speed and raw strength.

NZT-One

Scenes like that were there during Ole days as well. And fans of his were sharing them just like you did. It was a well worked sequence (with a good showing how Antony repeatedly slows the game down...) but as long as such scenes are that much of a deal, that people remember them sticking out, they don't have much power to convince.

Exactly. I swear most of the cry babies are unable to see past their anxiety
Or other sorts of crybabies who overstate the meaning of a 15 second video clip. Works both ways.

Melvin Udall

They’ve spent on transfers and wages as a knee jerk reaction while letting the rest of the club infrastructure rot. Academy, OT, etc. They’ve taken far more out of the club than they’ve put in.
I don’t dispute your criticisms. I’m simply saying that criticizing them for not spending enough on transfers is misguided. We buy expensive players all the time and put them on monstrous wages. The issue is the lack of a plan in terms of identifying talent and making sure it fits with the club’s style of play.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Scenes like that were there during Ole days as well. And fans of his were sharing them just like you did. It was a well worked sequence (with a good showing how Antony repeatedly slows the game down...) but as long as such scenes are that much of a deal, that people remember them sticking out, they don't have much power to convince.

Or other sorts of crybabies who overstate the meaning of a 15 second video clip. Works both ways.
I think you've not got the grasp of the debate here.

The evidence of the patterns of play and modernisation of the way United play has been there for months. Those of us who are positive about that are not crying about anything. We're happy with this manager and we want him to continue.

city-puma

I mean we've spent 160m this summer. I hate the Glazers as much as anyone but it's not like we haven't supported ETH. We grabbed his top GK choice, top midfield choice, and favorite non-Kane striker.

But it's also ETH's decision to retain McTominay when it's plain as day we need another midfielder. He also allowed Fred to leave without replacing him, who for all his faults at least had utility. And to top it all off he insisted we spend 80m last summer on what is probably a bottom of the table level winger and start him every game.
I think you are trapped into that thinking the glazers want you believe it reasonable. For last few years, it’s almost always that we did long term signings only in summer with a fixed and rigid budget. The plans have almost always been two extremes, well-established (even though around 30 yrs old) or extremely young. For them it’s a number problem. To add one in, get one out first, even though some transfers didn’t work out (it’s common, it’s impossible to have all transfers correct). There are many 20-22 years old young players we should buy as strategic investments, because they are almost ready and already been able to contribute. Now, every summer, we add three. Everything else? Forget about it. ETH and DOF are not given error tolerance in transfers to be better prepared to handle any season which is always tough with a lot of games. We need a new owners and potentially new DOF.

mav_9me

Fair enough

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Feck me. I’ve only noticed you recently but do you contribute anything other to this site than multi quote, overly long negativity? It’s all you do. In every thread you post in. Usually making sure to add in a jibe or two at the players you hate the most, Bruno and/or Antony. Maybe mix things up a little? Are there are players in the squad you rate? How about posting about them for a change?

city-puma

In short, with the current way doing business every summer, ETH or any coach was set up to fail. I hope ETH can navigate it eventually and be truly successful here, but it looks so hard. The same applied to DOF, with such an owner, we can’t get things right really.

RedOrange

So fire the manager and start over, then?

FortunaUtd

Doesnt look good for him. Spent a shit ton and we still look like a team relying on luck. He needs a good spell to quickly or he will be gone by February
In short, with the current way doing business every summer, ETH or any coach was set up to fail. I hope ETH can navigate it eventually and be truly successful here, but it looks so hard. The same applied to DOF, with such an owner, we can’t get things right really.
Ten Hag has not failed, and has been successful, last season, and there is no need whatsoever to constantly conjure up doomsday scenarios. We have 6 points from 3 games. It is not excellent, it is not horrible. As for recruitment setting him up to fail, let us just at least wait until the end of the window, can we not? And to introduce the notion of sacking him is, honestly, pure lunacy. Some on here are suffering from what could be called football club dysmorphia.