Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 666 44.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 816 55.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

el3mel

I'm not using it as an example to give him more time, I'm using it in response to someone asking whether he lost big twice in one season.

He should be given more time because there's bugger all point doing anything else.
What is the point of shoehorning Ferguson and his results into this conversation from the start?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
What is the point of shoehorning Ferguson and his results into this conversation from the start?
I don't know, maybe you should read the posts that were being replied to so you get an idea before blundering in?

Appletonred

3rd last season and 2 cup finals means that he has credit in the bank at the moment, but some of his signings are underwhelming to say the least, having said that, this is not the real Manchester United is it....

el3mel

I don't know, maybe you should read the posts that were being replied to so you get an idea before blundering in?
I know you aren't the original poster. You decided to jump in and support his view though, which is shoehorning Ferguson and his results into this to defend Ten Hag and his disastrous results.

Mr Smith

Anyone saying sack at this stage has lost their mind and have extremely short memories. There was a long period last season when we were the form team in the league. The team lacks confidence currently (especially in defence) but there's been some promise in most of our performances this season. Give it time and we'll come good.

You can have a separate conversation about whether Ten Hag's power should be checked in certain areas (eg transfers) but so far the positives from his tenure still massively outweigh the negatives.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I thought he'd value more possession here.

We seem to bypass keeping it too often.
Because we are not that good at keeping it. And our best players are ones who thrive on transitional play

Eddy_JukeZ

Because we are not that good at keeping it. And our best players are ones who thrive on transitional play
That's the manager's fault on both accounts.

A year down the road, we should be much better at keeping the ball.

And he should have targeted players who aid in that.

fallengt

It's 2023 and people are still using Ferguson as an example to give the manager more time. Incredible stuff. This excuse has been said for every single manager post SAF.

I have truly given up on United fans. We will never move forward as long as we are waiting for the next Ferguson and thinking that any manager will become a legend if given 3-4 years of being shit before winning something because it happened once in life time for a one of a kind as a manager.

United fans never learn.
United is a sacking club now, what the heck are you talking about? Did that approach work?
Take in mind, the next manager would have to deal with:
- Antony's side show
- Sancho
- Maguire
- Greenwood
- Rashford + Bruno who are core of this team yet can't pass the ball properly.
- Glaziers dragging the sales to no end
- Inept football director
- Fletcher. What is even his role?
- Perma crooked Varane, Martial
- FFP

Tell me, how any of these are manager's job to solve? And I'm not convinced the next "hipster manager of the month" would be fixing this mess either.
Until club can find solutions to said problems, there no fecking point changing manager & going through the same cycle again every year.

Ubik

I know you aren't the original poster. You decided to jump in and support his view though, which is shoehorning Ferguson and his results into this to defend Ten Hag and his disastrous results.
Mainly because people like to misrepresent the past to support their own fairly shallow opinions, and I find it irritating. If people want to make their entire personality hating ten Hag, that's fine, but at least stick to the facts if it's that cut and dried.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm surprised he hasn't asked to have the canteen staff at United sacked and replaced by Ajax's.
Since Old Trafford needs an upgrade anyway…airlift their stadium.

Ubik

This is my biggest disappointment with him, by far. It all started so promisingly when we went after de Jong, then turned awry when we kept on going after de Jong.

fallengt

"De Zerbi In" redditors can feck off.
He's systemic manager whom benefit from Brighton's structure & would instantly crumble at United.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
United is a sacking club now, what the heck are you talking about? Did that approach work?
Take in mind, the next manager would have to deal with:
- Antony's side show
- Sancho
- Maguire
- Greenwood
- Rashford + Bruno who are core of this team yet can't pass the ball properly.
- Glaziers dragging the sales to no end
- Inept football director
- Fletcher. What is even his role?
- Perma crooked Varane, Martial
- FFP

Tell me, how any of these are manager's job to solve? And I'm not convinced the next "hipster manager of the month" would be fixing this mess either.
Until club can find solutions to said problems, there no fecking point changing manager & going through the same cycle again every year.
All clubs are "sacking clubs"

Cassidy

Pretty sure he did target players who keep the ball better. One of them Antony is not liked because he does so by the way. He also bought in a keeper that helps and Martinez a CB who helps. He wanted De Jong in midfield and to me thats been the major issue the midfielders we have signed have been miles away from that profile bar Amrabat

Also even though we do not keep the ball well enough. We most definitely keep it better as demonstrated against Arsenal.

Matt851

In reality, what difference does it make? All that matters is getting the right players, and getting the best out of them. Do players suddenly become good/better signings because a DoF wanted them and not a manager? DoF, scouts, manager - makes no difference at all. Your job title doesn’t guarantee you of competence, and in reality, the manager/coach is the one that needs to work with them to make a squad, so I imagine all of the aforementioned parties will have a say in any signing anyway.

Teams with DoFs make terrible signings all the time. Ten Hag has no excuses for not doing a better job. He’s just a charlatan.
The whole idea is that a dof can leverage the clubs global scouting network so you aren't reliant on players the manager knows. And they are also supposed to ensure signings represent good value and aren't so specific to the managers requirements that you need a whole new squad if the manager changes.

Clearly clubs with dof's have also made bad signings but none have made them as consistently

The Hilton

SAF had a lot more credit in the bank
He didn't when they beat us 5-1 in 1989, the rest he obviously did, but the statement was that a big club would sack the manager after such a big defeat, which is nonsense. I was simply pointing out it wasn't true, with examples.

Thom Merrilin

United fans scared Ten Hag might walk? :lol:
Who the feck is Ten Hag in the grand scheme of things? The guy that can't win away from home and gets battered by his rivals several times a season. Make no mistake, he's just as shit as United right now.
He's been to a later stage of the champions league than we have in years with a team worth a fraction of ours while playing better football than we have in a decade. Would you argue Ancelloti was a bad manager because he failed at Everton? Some of these posts are ridiculous.

Matt851

"De Zerbi In" redditors can feck off.
He's systemic manager whom benefit from Brighton's structure & would instantly crumble at United.
Maybe but it is damning for eth that we have never had any style of play under him when you look at how quickly ange has put one in place at spurs

Møllemanden

What does that even have to do with the post?

Next time read what you are replying to instead of repeating what you memorized over and over again without thinking.
Guess i'm just trying to figure out what your solution is. You don't want a manager who needs 3-4 seasons to compete. Therefore I have to assume, that you suggest we need a manager capable of miracles. A manager on the level of or even better than Pep and Klopp.

The Hilton

Did they all happen in the same season? Was his only trophy that he won at United the mighty Carling Cup?

It is like, having a few humiliations in 25 years is not the same as in a single season. And being a legendary manager is not the same as being a nobody.
He wasn't a legendary manager in 1989, but even so that's irrelevant, I'm simply pointing out that trying to use a single heavy defeat as a reason to fire someone is reactionary and frankly stupid, nobody who reached the upper levels of club management would be so reactionary. The statement was "big clubs would sack the manager after a heavy defeat". That statement was clearly false.

el3mel

Mainly because people like to misrepresent the past to support their own fairly shallow opinions, and I find it irritating. If people want to make their entire personality hating ten Hag, that's fine, but at least stick to the facts if it's that cut and dried.
Using Ferguson from the start to defend the current manager and his results or as a reason to give him more time "because Ferguson was terrible at the start then turned out to be the best manager in history" is an absolute nonsense and I don't have to explain why.

The original poster said that 7-0 was a sackable offense at any big club which is true but of course the response has to be that Ferguson lost 6 or 5 before. It's just a nonsensical and tired argument.

As long as United fans keep using Ferguson as a metric and thinking a manager will turn into a legend after 3-4 years of being shit given enough time and money because it happened once in life time we will never move forward.

Ferguson could lose 6s and 5s much as he wanted it's not going to change that these results can get managers sacked nowadays. Time changed. Football changed. Expectations changed.

abailey123

We need to break this cycle of:
New manager - signings - decent season- missed targets - poor season - sacking
It happened with Mourinho and Ole.
Back Ten Hag to get it right and it will come good.
Loads of negative energy around the club because of 1) the ridiculous club sale process 2) the way the club dealt with Greenwood

el3mel

Guess i'm just trying to figure out what your solution is. You don't want a manager who needs 3-4 seasons to compete. Therefore I have to assume, that you suggest we need a manager capable of miracles. A manager on the level of or even better than Pep and Klopp.
Asking for the team to have an identity and play style in the manager's 2nd season after 400m spent is considered a miracle now?

Cassidy

Before the season kicked off he had to deal with restricted budget and the club not going for a top striker when that is what he wanted.
Not to mention the striker they did sign was not fit to start the season. To top that off you then have Greenwood, Antony and Sancho situations.

We have started poorly I am interested to see how he deals with this. I hope he lasts because I think he is a good manager, but he is making mistakes, hopefully he learns from them quickly, all managers make them

Ubik

Using Ferguson from the start to defend the current manager and his results or as a reason to give him more time "because Ferguson was terrible at the start then turned out to be the best manager in history" is an absolute nonsense and I don't have to explain why.

The original poster said that 7-0 was a sackable offense at any big club which is true but of course the response has to be that Ferguson lost 6 or 5 before. It's just a nonsensical and tired argument.

As long as United fans keep using Ferguson as a metric and thinking a manager will turn into a legend after 3-4 years of being shit given enough time and money because it happened once in life time we will never move forward.

Ferguson could lose 6s and 5s much as he wanted it's not going to change that these results can get managers sacked nowadays. Time changed. Football changed. Expectations changed.
Is it just the 7 bit that makes it sackable? Is 5-0 okay? Just asking for reference.

Cassidy

Asking for the team to have an identity and play style in the manager's 2nd season after 400m spent is considered a miracle now?
I think the start of this season has been compromised by injuries so its a bit early to determine we have no play style.

The Hilton

No. I still believe that de Zerbi would have done a better job than ETH, maybe not last season but defo this season, but I also realize that you do not agree so there is no point in debating that further. I doubt that any top manager thought that Mount was the player our midfield needed.

Some fans think ETH can change things beyond football and tactics, some fans think he cannot do anything due to our poor structure where Mount all of a sudden shows up for training wo ETH getting the memo. Him resigning was a respons to the latter view.
Do you have any evidence with which to back that opinion? So far you've offered none, and you're getting in to flat-earther levels of faith in the face of evidence.

De Zerbi wouldn't have lasted last season, and he isn't a miracle worker capable of turning a defensive low block team terrified of possession into a progressive attacking one that retains possession.

The Hilton

I think the start of this season has been compromised by injuries so its a bit early to determine we have no play style.
It's the same tired argument again and again, from the same poster.

We clearly have an identity and a play style, we're just not good enough at it to make it look slick and keep it up for 90 minutes.

laughtersassassin

Results stay like this and he won't last long.

Only possible positive is there is about a 5% chance it starts to convince the Glazers that maybe selling is best.

Without making CL consistently the club value won't rise as much as they hope over the next few years. Especially if we can't even make CL with it being top 5 potentially.

Møllemanden

Considering the circumstances, yes. If it was only about the money, Chelsea should've been top of the table by now. Your expectations are far too high buddy.

el3mel

De Zerbi is a great coach but United job and dressing room are way too big for him to handle.

Ubik

Last I checked 7 is bigger than 5.
Right, I just wanted to know if it's only conceding 7 that makes it automatically sackable, or if 5 is bad enough? I mean, 4-0 is considered a thrashing, right?

el3mel

Right, I just wanted to know if it's only conceding 7 that makes it automatically sackable, or if 5 is bad enough? I mean, 4-0 is considered a thrashing, right?
4-0 is a thrashing but it happens. How many times have you seen a team losing by 7 goals to their main rivals in your life?

RonaldoVII

They had already replaced them for him. They brought him Mount and Hojlund to replace Scott and Martial. Selling them or not isn't the reason for us losing. It's that the replacement he asked for them suck as players, and also got injured.
Amrabat is meant to replace McTominay. Wanted 2 strikers got only 1. Wanted Kim and got Evans. Wanted FDJ, wanted Antony early and overspent in the end and now can’t do much cos of FFP well who’s fault is that?

The Hilton

I actually think Ole benefited from a combination of 'New Manager Bounce' coupled with the football ddisciplines Jose instilled in the team. Once those methods wore off his tactical naivety shone though, accompanied with an unfortunate fondness for needing to be liked. Been supporting this club since the mid 70s (Home & Away) and something inside tells me we need to stay behind this manager regardless of any short-term mistakes he might make.
Ole was a better tactician than people give him credit for, we had a great record against the bigger teams under him, but teams that could sit back could completely nullify us. He was also heavily reliant on a few players, and ran them into the ground.

Ironically his football would be even more effective with Wenger's new offside rule.

However he wasn't ever going to be the man to transition us to a proactivefront-foot style of football. We have someone who seems capable of that now, and I agree we should give him a fair amount of time to try to see it through (which is multiple years).