Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 648 44.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 806 55.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Olecurls99

His squad with no signings and the more expected departures

GK: De Gea, Heaton

Full Backs: Dalot, Shaw, Telles

Centre Backs: Maguire, Varane, Lindelof

Midfielders: van de Beek, Fred, McTominay, Fernandes, Garner

Wingers/Forwards/Striker: Rashford, Elanga, Sancho, Martial, Ronaldo

I havent excluded anybody that we dont think will leave and even Martial may go also. Make no mistake that squad is unbelievably light, not to mention lacking in talent. Put down in black and white like that there is no hiding place. We need at least 5 more players, with at least 3 good enough to be constant starters.
Henderson is on big wages and we'd be asking for 30 million minimum. Can't see anybody wanting him beyond a loan

Bissaka, again we'll be looking for 25 million minimum. Can't see it happening

Bailly might go but we'll be looking for a cut rate price, in which case what's the point of selling

Again with Tuanzebe. We sell him for practically nothing and then go looking for another backup centre back. Why not just keep him? If we keep some of these guys then we're not light

We are light up front and in midfield, no doubts about that

::sonny::

His squad with no signings and the more expected departures

GK: De Gea, Heaton

Full Backs: Dalot, Shaw, Telles

Centre Backs: Maguire, Varane, Lindelof

Midfielders: van de Beek, Fred, McTominay, Fernandes, Garner

Wingers/Forwards/Striker: Rashford, Elanga, Sancho, Martial, Ronaldo

I havent excluded anybody that we dont think will leave and even Martial may go also. Make no mistake that squad is unbelievably light, not to mention lacking in talent. Put down in black and white like that there is no hiding place. We need at least 5 more players, with at least 3 good enough to be constant starters.
6/8th place

Revaulx

It's funny because the CAF cried out for a DOF for years.

We get one.

Now there's lots of these types of posts where posters want to the manager to have full control over recruitment.

Which just goes to show no-one really understands what a DOF actually does.
True!

The main thing is that recruitment is driven by football people at the club (manager, DOF, scouts, whoever), rather than selling clubs and players’ agents. I’m absolutely certain that these had far too much influence in the Woodward era.

city-puma

"He has a lot of confidence. So, who is I to say something about that", then gave a little smirk. :lol:. But seemed like not many noticed his joke.
Isn’t he the same person once in charge of us? ;) Smalling comes to rescue!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, I read those stories also, but it's not specified what 'control' means. I can't find it back now, but I'm sure I saw a quote from Ten Hag after he signed the contract, where he said that he never asked to run the recruitment process but just wants to have input and a veto. The veto does give a kind of control, so that's how I'm interpreting those - which I think is far less than you've been saying. (And far better structurally.)

Yakuza_devils

Yeah, I read those stories also, but it's not specified what 'control' means. I can't find it back now, but I'm sure I saw a quote from Ten Hag after he signed the contract, where he said that he never asked to run the recruitment process but just wants to have input and a veto. The veto does give a kind of control, so that's how I'm interpreting those - which I think is far less than you've been saying. (And far better structurally.)

My point was he will have far more control than he was at Ajax if we are to believe that Overmars made all the signings in Ajax and ETH was not bothered about it. Hence, my worries that if he is competent in player recruitment.

As reported, he will have major influence over player recruitment here and no one will be signed if he doesn't agree. Hence, essentially he has the final say?

city-puma

My point was he will have far more control than he was at Ajax if we are to believe that Overmars made all the signings in Ajax and ETH was not bothered about it. Hence, my worries that if he is competent in player recruitment.

As reported, he will have major influence over player recruitment here and no one will be signed if he doesn't agree. Hence, essentially he has the final say?
Are you sure that is the case? As I remember from what I read somewhere, ETH values the partnership with Overmars highly and explicitly said the achievements in Ajax could not be possible without it. It doesn’t make sense if Overmars wouldn’t consider ETH’s input seriously.

Yakuza_devils

Are you sure that is the case? As I remember from what I read somewhere, ETH values the partnership with Overmars highly and explicitly said the achievements in Ajax could not be possible without it. It doesn’t make sense if Overmars wouldn’t consider ETH’s input seriously.
I agree with you. But I was referring to Ajax's supporter in this forum that was saying ETH was not involved in Ajax transfer and Overmars was the one made all the signings. In fact some said ETH was not bothered about it. I have my doubts too.

city-puma

I agree with you. But I was referring to Ajax's supporter in this forum that was saying ETH was not involved in Ajax transfer and Overmars was the one made all the signings. In fact some said ETH was not bothered about it. I have my doubts too.
Gotcha!

city-puma

yeh.. borderline arrogant but a funny man.
I still remember he walked to face the fourth official, suddenly fell down backward, and probably said, “see! What’s the f@ck!” :lol:
a lovely guy, really!

Olecurls99

Of our existing players you could say Fred, Sancho (well, the technical aspect at least,) Bruno and Shaw (possibly a generous inclusion) fit the bill. That's really it. Some players might have the technical aspect, such as Dalot but they're physically not very impressive. Would be safe to say this is the least aggressive United side i can remember.
Fred is game but he's not overly quick
Bruno is very slow and weak
Sancho doesn't have a great work rate
Shaw can do it if he wants to.

I just can't see us being a very good pressing team with these players

Although having said that I wouldn't have called Klopp's Liverpool as ridiculously athletic. Firmino, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Thiago. The important thing about them was the quick centre backs and the concerted joined up effort to press.

Hopefully Teny can put a system in place and he gets buy in from the players

Last edited:

OmarUnited4ever

The second paragraph in the ESPN article says: -

The Dutchman will take over at Old Trafford in the summer and says negotiations with the club were only concluded once he was given more input into player recruitment, although he insists he does not want to be "sole ruler".

I think what might take place is that ETH will have a veto on player recruitment, for example, the recruitment team identified Player "X", and they think player "X" is good enough and the club can get that player, ETH will have the options of either accepting the "player "X", or saying no.

ETH will also have his own recommendations, but I believe the recruitment team will also analyze if a player recommended by ETH is good enough and can be signed and fits into the manager's plan, or if there is a "better" option out there, for example, it is clear FDJ is a player ETH wants, and I am certain the recruitment team are in agreement that FDJ is a player the team needs now, is good enough and is gettable, and there is no better options than FDJ, hence the reports about the club trying to get FDJ, another example is Nunez, I am speculating here, based on reports we've seen, but probably Nunez is a player the recruitment team suggested to ETH, and ETH gave the green light, ETH could also say no to Nunez if he wants.

One thing must happen this summer, which is ETH and the Recruitment team led by Murtough to work together very closely during this window, and if this pays off and a few players are signed that fit into ETH's plans, then in the future, the recruitment team will know which type of player that will work in ETH's style and make it easy for them to find the right targets.

Amsterdam90s

Supports
Ajax
At Ajax the players that Ten Hag adviced were Promes, Klaiber, Labyad and Haller. Of these players Klaiber was meant to be a substitute, Promes sort of delivered until he got caught up in crimes, Labyad had potential but his competitors were just way better, and Haller delivered. I think ten Hag his problem is that he might not know top level recruitment since he only once spent 20 million on a player (Haller).

I think 3 things will be key for him to succeed. Will Ronaldo adapt to Ten Hag's style of play, can he make Bruno press, and ofcourse which players he will get. Where van Gaal had an approach to players were they either loved him or hated him, most players learn to love Ten Hag. But if Ronaldo and Bruno will not adapt things could get ugly soon.

Glorio

At Ajax the players that Ten Hag adviced were Promes, Klaiber, Labyad and Haller. Of these players Klaiber was meant to be a substitute, Promes sort of delivered until he got caught up in crimes, Labyad had potential but his competitors were just way better, and Haller delivered. I think ten Hag his problem is that he might not know top level recruitment since he only once spent 20 million on a player (Haller).

I think 3 things will be key for him to succeed. Will Ronaldo adapt to Ten Hag's style of play, can he make Bruno press, and ofcourse which players he will get. Where van Gaal had an approach to players were they either loved him or hated him, most players learn to love Ten Hag. But if Ronaldo and Bruno will not adapt things could get ugly soon.
Bruno's issue isn't a lack pressing though, in fact it's trying to press too many times on his own, he needs composure and structure; on and off the ball.

Regarding Ronaldo, if he doesn't adapt and becomes a disruptive influence, the club should be ready to send him on loan or to Dubai for the sake of our season. I think he'll be able to adapt though if his minutes are strictly managed

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax

That is sugarcoating it a bit. Promes only delivered in 1 season, Klaiber even failed to deliver as a sub(due to being injured 90% of the time), Labyad is nowhere good enough and ever will be and Haller only delivered goals, but never actually got even close to being an Ajax striker.

Keefy18

Looks like he thought Woodward was a clown :lol:

Also, was his English this bad when he was with us? It seems so far ago.
He's been quite ill lately hasn't he? Cancer I believe, no doubt has had an effect.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Who is I? I am Mike Smalling.
And here is my captain Wayne Rooney who shall always play, who is very satisfied with Van Gaal's red army.

Swedish_Plumber

We’re relying on a second place season behind closed doors from players who haven’t shown enough consistency (even in that season).

Last season was an absolute shitshow but it’s still closer to form for the majority of our squad than the last full season under Ole.

We need investment and Ten Hag/the directors are on a hiding to nothing if the belief is we can trust our players after their ‘effort’ last year. Quality is a must.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Have a feeling that this summer our signings would be underwhelming, as we would find ourselves in hard time convincing our top targets with our new project... but as long as we got back on track next season, the good signings would starting flowing in again.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Have a feeling that this summer our signings would be underwhelming, as we would find ourselves in hard time convincing our top targets with our new project... but as long as we got back on track next season, the good signings would starting flowing in again.
It's a hard cycle to get out of, really. We're stuck with 3rd/4th choice signings until we can get back into the CL, but to get CL you need good quality players. In these circumstances we just have to hope ten Hag really is good enough to get this shower competing at a top 4 level. There's a scary amount of emphasis from our media on that 2nd place finish which seems to be ignoring any context and further ignoring that 2 of our best players from that season have already left, another one has been arrested and the other 2 have been in shambolic form.

Wayne's World

He's not going to last a year in this job with the owners and board we have. He's a very good manager but not a miracle worker.

captaincantona

It was clear that RR went off script and so was pushed aside. He called how many was needed to refresh the attitude in the squad and he said publicly it would only take two or three windows. No sooner is he gone then these “potential in the squad”....” this team finished 2nd” narratives appear.

we need a damn sight more than a midfielder and one poxy forward.

The United

It was clear that RR went off script and so was pushed aside. He called how many was needed to refresh the attitude in the squad and he said publicly it would only take two or three windows. No sooner is he gone then these “potential in the squad”....” this team finished 2nd” narratives appear.

we need a damn sight more than a midfielder and one poxy forward.
TBF, any rebuilding that we had done in the past or in other teams like Liverpool and City didn't need those kinds of dramatic voices in public. They went on quietly.

No one likes it when their new manager comes in and says you all are shit and will be replaced in 2 months. That group will underperform massively. Happens in all sorts of working environments.

Flexdegea

He's not going to last a year in this job with the owners and board we have. He's a very good manager but not a miracle worker.

This sort of posts are just tiresome and boring at this stage, and are either a bad attempt at humour or trolling.

Would make more sense if it was last summer. But so much has changed behind the scenes, even the appointment of Hag alone shows that.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Lighten up a bit for fecks sake! It’s like I’m being sent into a deep depression every time I visit the caf. Getting real fecking tiresome now.
So probably avoid visiting the caf? The poster you're responding to isn't far off with what they said.