Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Flexdegea

i have my doubts if he'll survive the October run of fixtures. Based on the current squad, and the limited time he'd have had to implement his strategies, could struggle against all the top teams.

What hope have we got as a club if this is the mind set, already thinking he be sacked to rinse in another manager.

Disconnected from reality or on the WUM

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Am just saying hope people wouldn't expect us to look like City from day 1.
Or you don't think this place is getting impatient regarding signings.
Oh no, it is very impatient and that's going to translate into hysteria from the first goal that we conceed under ten Hag and get worse with each draw and loss.

croadyman

Ornstein definitely making it clear that De Jong is his top target, well within his rights to complain if he's not delivered by the club

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ornstein definitely making it clear that De Jong is his top target, well within his rights to complain if he's not delivered by the club
They're in a sticky position, lost Nunez to Liverpool and Timber currently very likely to stay at Ajax. So their first choice forward and CB is already ruled out.

LoneStar

Some people on here really need to learn to be patient. I hope for their sakes they aren’t like this outside of football too. Is there a chance we are fecking about and won’t sign good players? Its possible, but it’s way too early to say. Let’s be realistic though. We are signing 3-4 players at max, especially if we blow big money on FDJ. Patience is also needed once the season starts, I think we’ll go through a rough adjusting period before things get better.

People are deluded to think we’ll let go of all players Ralf has criticised or has had a problem with. I think a good manager can get some of these players playing much better. We need to be more than the sum of our parts, when it’s been the other way round last season. We are nowhere near the likes of City or Liverpool, but we can compete with Chelsea and Spurs next season if we get some food players in.

croadyman

They're in a sticky position, lost Nunez to Liverpool and Timber currently very likely to stay at Ajax. So their first choice forward and CB is already ruled out.
Never felt we were in for both Nunez and De Jong, haven't got a bottomless pit like Chelsea, City or PSG. Has always seemed our top priority this summer is CM as it should be

Trex

He hasn't even taken a training session yet nevermind them playing a game. I will be patient, but the media will agitate anytime there is the slightest hiccup. This is going to take time and patience.
See the lack of patience regarding signings because the club refused to be fleeced by Barca, I've been on the caf a while now and this is the most negative this place have been.....eventually we'll land our target, but then the next step will be getting it to come together on the pitch, hopefully this place would be patient regarding that because it won't happen all at once.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
See the lack of patience regarding signings because the club refused to be fleeced by Barca, I've been on the caf a while now and this is the most negative this place have been.....eventually we'll land our target, but then the next step will be getting it to come together on the pitch, hopefully this place would be patient regarding that because it won't happen all at once.
There aren't exactly a truckload of clubs coming in for him. If they still need to sell and cannot register players until they do a deal will be done. If not with us then it isn't meant to be. Just hope they have other options in mind.

Trex

Tough start
In the league you get to play everyone, personally the order doesn't matter to me as I don't believe it has any major influence on were we finish at the end of it all. The easy games aren't always easy games and some of the tough games may not be so tough on the day.

Trex

There aren't exactly a truckload of clubs coming in for him. If they still need to sell and cannot register players until they do a deal will be done. If not with us then it isn't meant to be. Just hope they have other options in mind.
I do understand people are emotionally invested but if everyone see it this way the car wouldn't be so negative right now.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Seems like we've already started failing him with our share incompetence in our transfer dealings, he must be wondering what the actual feck he's doing here now.
Or maybe he and Murtough are on the same page and know the job at hand. Murtough has said Ten Hag will work to maximise the squads potential and ETH has spoken about the squad being good enough for a 2nd place finish last season. We’ve also had stories of evolution not revolution on the press.

It was Rangnick who was banging the ‘we need to sign 10 players’ drum for the fans to dance to. Time for a bit of realism and practicality I think.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I admired him for taking the gig, he obviously has massive bald balls. It will only increase fan support for him if the ownership and board let him down this transfer window.

Nero

Before end of October ? That's 3 months into the season. Do they really expect all the tough matches to be scheduled towards end of the season ?
Yeah, stupid tweet. The end of October we'll have played 14 of the other 19 teams. Outlandish fixtures.

Thepinhead

It was Rangnick who was banging the ‘we need to sign 10 players’ drum for the fans to dance to. Time for a bit of realism and practicality I think.
Yes but he did also say it would take 2 maybe 3 windows to get there which isn't unrealistic

Superden

What hope have we got as a club if this is the mind set, already thinking he be sacked to rinse in another manager.

Disconnected from reality or on the WUM
I won't be sacking anyone, or calling for his head, at the same time we are a car crash in slow.motion and I've yet to see anything to convince me otherwise. Every step fwd is followed by two steps back and punching ourselves in the goolies..

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
The problem for us was not last season, it was the season before when we finished "2nd". Our true position should have been 3rd and way way behind City and "a-not-injured-LIVERPOOL". But because we finished 2nd, we started the season with a silly expectation that our NEXT STEP was to WIN the league. The summer signings added to the fuel. So we started out thinking we had a top 1/top 2 squad, when we actually had a top 4 squad managed by a rookie manager playing hit and run hail mary football. His previous league positions were padded by the hit & run football and if he had stuck to the same tactic we would have finished 3rd again comfortably.

But the false PL position last season and the expectation to win the title forced Ole to suddenly change his hit and run football to an expansive league winning one, the only problem is he was completely out of depth to play an organized expansive league winning football. Everything buckled under pressure. Ole crumbled, players broke down, fans got disillusioned.

No matter how I think about it, last season was a freak season. It felt we had the most disastrous season for decades, still for large parts we were in touching distance of 4th. I refuse to believe that our expectations are just to see us play good football or be a "Brighton/Brentford". Our squad is too good for that. With ETH, I would expect us to finish top 4 at the very least and compete with Tuchel's Chelsea. They are a cup team at best, reminds me of Liverpool under Rafa. Quality team but terribly inconsistent. We should be looking to finish above them, that should be our target.

We have cut out the right parts - Pogba was terrible for us, a bad attitude player who kept constantly looking out (and trust me I am not saying it because of "THAT"). Matic was quality but he was OLD. Its a wonder Mata was still our player. People saying we should have played him more are saying it only because the rest were crap and he had a decent run in the end. He hasn't been a Man Utd player for years. We need a creative mid and any half decent creative mid will be better than I am holier than thou Pog-donkey. Combine that with Fred and Scott's industry we have a solid midfield. our attack is fantastic. I still think we made a mistake signing CR7, but that's a mistake that was supposed to cost us only on the long run. For now he is a fantastic goal-scorer and we have pacy tricky wingers who need systems to guide them. Our defense individually are very good, definitely good enough to take us to top 4. In the right system all the defensive players can hold the line well. We can't play a highline like Liverpool with our lot. A creative RB will help, but AWB is a quality defender. If the system is right, he will shut out the right side well.

If we get a creative midfielder, we should be targeting top 4. As simple as that. ETH is a fantastic manager and I would prefer him over Poch, who is never going to take us to the next step. With Poch you can expect a guaranteed top 4 without a lot of luck in cups. With ETH its unknown, but I hope the ceiling is higher and at this point its the better choice for us. If we fail, we can switch to Poch, but not before gambling with ETH first.
And in reality Brentford in 13th were closer to us than we were to Spurs in 4th.

For many United fans, watching football like Brentford and Brighton play would be a huge improvement from the past decade of shit-on-stick football.

Our players have choked trying to get top4 too many times for me to see someone say our squad is talented/ good without letting out a little smirk.

There's obviously a clear divide amongst the fanbase at the moment, blind optimism is equally as bad as hopeless negatively, just because you seem to be on the side of the majority (blind optimism) doesn't mean you're correct, and no amount of laughter coming from the echo chamber will change that fact.

The past 10 years have left me feeling more negative than optimistic as I truly believe things won't change until the owners are gone, I hope (my optimism coming through) that Ten Hag can perform miracles, because that's what it's going to take for him to get a tune out of the waste of space currently in our squad.

Here's hoping the negative bunch are wrong and Ten Hag turns us into a team worth watching again, and who knows, even win a few things?

Josep Dowling

Some people on here really need to learn to be patient. I hope for their sakes they aren’t like this outside of football too. Is there a chance we are fecking about and won’t sign good players? Its possible, but it’s way too early to say. Let’s be realistic though. We are signing 3-4 players at max, especially if we blow big money on FDJ. Patience is also needed once the season starts, I think we’ll go through a rough adjusting period before things get better.

People are deluded to think we’ll let go of all players Ralf has criticised or has had a problem with. I think a good manager can get some of these players playing much better. We need to be more than the sum of our parts, when it’s been the other way round last season. We are nowhere near the likes of City or Liverpool, but we can compete with Chelsea and Spurs next season if we get some food players in.
Many fans like myself have no patience because we lost it years ago. It’s not like the lack of transfer activity is new for this summer. It’s been this way since 2013 and that’s why the Cafe is a cesspit of moaning posters.

LoneStar

Many fans like myself have no patience because we lost it years ago. It’s not like the lack of transfer activity is new for this summer. It’s been this way since 2013 and that’s why the Cafe is a cesspit of moaning posters.
But we have spent a lot in the transfer market since 2013. Pretty sure we are one of the highest spenders during this period. We signed three world class players just last summer.

I don't think the problem was ever signing players or big names, but rather our approach to transfers. We need to be smarter, and learn to sign players who suit a particular system, all while ensuring we don't end up overpaying a lot, like we have done in the past.

This season it's a new manager, and a lot of changes in the management and club structure. We don't know how this plays out. Only time will tell.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Yes but he did also say it would take 2 maybe 3 windows to get there which isn't unrealistic
It is unrealistic considering Rangnick has left the building. He clearly had a difference of opinions to our board or at least a different approach to solve the problem. There is undeniable talent in this squad, we just need somebody authoritative and ruthless to maximise the potential of our players and discard those that aren’t good enough. Hopefully ETH is that guy.

USREDEVIL

Before end of October ? That's 3 months into the season. Do they really expect all the tough matches to be scheduled towards end of the season ?
Oh the vultures (media and opps) are sharpening their claws for next season. They cannot wait to start the ABU anti-Ten Hag campaign. But feck them we're sticking by this man through thick or thin.

Caesar2290

To be fair Pool offered 20 million more than what we were ready to offer. And Timber would have joined us most likely hadn't the corrupt FIFA cnuts decided to move a world cup to December. I imagine he wants to be 100% certain that he will get the call up to the NT side.

Or maybe he and Murtough are on the same page and know the job at hand. Murtough has said Ten Hag will work to maximise the squads potential and ETH has spoken about the squad being good enough for a 2nd place finish last season. We’ve also had stories of evolution not revolution on the press.

This man gets it.

ETH's main priority is to instill a new style of playing. How can he know who will come good and who will flop without even looking at everyone in training?

Just because that Austrian fraud was out of his depth and decided to throw the players under the bus to save himself doesn't mean that our entire squad is shit. We've had a couple of bad apples(in Pogba and Lingard) who left. We also have a couple of disgruntled players(mostly over playing time) like Henderson, Bailly and Jones who our club is slowly working to move away from the club. The wages are an issue though.

For now we are seeing that we are targeting our actual weaknesses in the CM area with De Jong and Vitinha as our targets. We also inquired about RW in Antony and a ball playing CB in Timber. Granted our negotiations for De Jong have stalled, but for the exact same reason nobody wants to buy our deadwood(super high wages). And yes, you can't spend 80+ million on someone on insane wages. Usually he either has to be a GOAT material or a player on low wages with a high ceiling(kind of like Nunez)

I'm fairly certain Nunez was more of a WF than a Ronaldo back up. So I imagine Antony is our Nunez fall back option. For once it looks like we actually have plan B and maybe even C. So things aren't as bad.

I also imagine ETH wants to asses the squad himself before we will make any more additions on top of those 2-3 players we are looking at. Hence why we are ultra cautious in the market right now. I think Mortough is very wary of blowing our summer budget only for ETH to request a new GK option and we being unable to land him due to the fact that we spent all our monies.

Oh the vultures (media and opps) are sharpening their claws for next season. They cannot wait to start the ABU anti-Ten Hag campaign. But feck them we're sticking by this man through thick or thin.
Exactly! ETH has an amazing record against the big boys in Europe. Let's hope it translate to the league as well. :devil:

Caesar2290

But we have spent a lot in the transfer market since 2013. Pretty sure we are one of the highest spenders during this period. We signed three world class players just last summer.

I don't think the problem was ever signing players or big names, but rather our approach to transfers. We need to be smarter, and learn to sign players who suit a particular system, all while ensuring we don't end up overpaying a lot, like we have done in the past.

This season it's a new manager, and a lot of changes in the management and club structure. We don't know how this plays out. Only time will tell.
Mate, what are you on about?

There were only 2 summers where we were subpar in the market. 2013 when Fergie and GIll decided to leave at the exact same time leaving newbie Woodward(imagine an even worse version of regular Woodward) to learn on the job. And 2018 when Woody and Mourinho decided to play some mind games.

Every other window, every other manager has been backed to the hilt with signings. The idea that we don't spend, yet the statistics show that only state sponsored City spent more money than we did is just down right stupid at this point.

Just last summer we bought Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane. Any half decent manager would have us finishing comfortably 3rd with the squad we had, but sadly we have yet to have one since Mourinho left. Hopefully ETH is about to change the trend.

LoneStar

Mate, what are you on about?

There were only 2 summers where we were subpar in the market. 2013 when Fergie and GIll decided to leave at the exact same time leaving newbie Woodward(imagine an even worse version of regular Woodward) to learn on the job. And 2018 when Woody and Mourinho decided to play some mind games.

Every other window, every other manager has been backed to the hilt with signings. The idea that we don't spend, yet the statistics show that only state sponsored City spent more money than we did is just down right stupid at this point.

Just last summer we bought Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane. Any half decent manager would have us finishing comfortably 3rd with the squad we had, but sadly we have yet to have one since Mourinho left. Hopefully ETH is about to change the trend.
I literally said the same things you are saying, and you are asking me what I'm on about :lol:

marcus agrippa

We already have Luke Shaw.

iamking

And in reality Brentford in 13th were closer to us than we were to Spurs in 4th.

For many United fans, watching football like Brentford and Brighton play would be a huge improvement from the past decade of shit-on-stick football.

Our players have choked trying to get top4 too many times for me to see someone say our squad is talented/ good without letting out a little smirk.

There's obviously a clear divide amongst the fanbase at the moment, blind optimism is equally as bad as hopeless negatively, just because you seem to be on the side of the majority (blind optimism) doesn't mean you're correct, and no amount of laughter coming from the echo chamber will change that fact.

The past 10 years have left me feeling more negative than optimistic as I truly believe things won't change until the owners are gone, I hope (my optimism coming through) that Ten Hag can perform miracles, because that's what it's going to take for him to get a tune out of the waste of space currently in our squad.

Here's hoping the negative bunch are wrong and Ten Hag turns us into a team worth watching again, and who knows, even win a few things?
I perfectly understand where you are coming from. All of us share your pain/disappointment, hard times for us. Optimism is not a wrong thing, "blind" optimism is wrong, thats what we had at the start of last season when most of our base jumped for a title tilt dissing pool, while every logic and metric was screaming against it. But this time is not blind optimism, just logic.

Our owners took some terrible decisions. Hiring LVG was wrong, extending Mourinho was wrong, signing OLE fulltime so soon was the worst thing. Its not just our owners, all our ex-players and super pundits are terrible as well constantly picking sides and showing favoritisms. They are responsible for the complete mess as well. I can't believe OLE was kept that long at the job and its on as much our ex-pros as the owners.

But for all the bad things our owners are, they are definitely not skint. That means, if we get the board fixed and the manager right it wont take us long to get back to the top again. Getting the right manager is the 1st step and I think with ETH we have taken the 1st step well. This guy builds his team, has a sound structure and in short seems to know what he is doing and not outdated. Will he be able to challenge Pep/Klopp, not possible atleast not yet. But he can challenge lego-pep and Tuchel. Conte is a beast of a manager and luckily for us he is stuck with Spurs which makes challenging him a possibility too. So yeah, you can quote me later, we will be up there with the rest of the best (other than City/Pool) and thats where our expectations should lie realistically.

Reactions: roonster09