Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 658 44.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 810 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Moriarty

Of course you love to hit the jackpot and get a manager that secures success for decades, but it is rare!
It is these days. Back in the day, men like Matt Busby, Jock Stein, Don Revie Joe Mercer, Harry Catterick, and Bill Nicholson all stayed at their respective clubs for many years. In latter years, Fergie was the exception to the rule but then he was a throwback.

Oranges038

But it might also be that one manager can't manage it all the way. And that's something that shouldn't scare you. But I agree that sacking someone just to sack him is useless, there should always be a clear idea if it is the right timing and who can make the situation better if necessary.
I think this is fine. But, there has to be a plan and a direction. But if we're really being honest, there's a huge task to be undertaken at Utd to get the club back anywhere near the levels required to be seriously talking about competing at the top end of the league and Europe.

There's no sign of that plan or direction. At least not publicly and it really isn't being helped by the uncertainty in the background about the structure with INEOS and the ownership.

Fans are calling for ETH to be sacked, which is understandable considering the results and performances. But it will be the exact same scenario in 12-18 months. I even posted some comments from LVGs tenure in here the other day, it's almost like for like the same complaints being aimed at ETH.

Someone has to do the dirty work and if it turns out ETH can only do so much and isn't good enough to build a side and bring the team forward, then so be it. But at this stage, it makes zero sense to sack him for Potter or Zidane or whoever. Because you're just throwing them into the same hole and expecting them to dig their way out with no tools.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I want ETH to stay for another season, but he did not help his cause by (AFAIK, which isn't far) getting rid of Rangnick, and getting all the happy power of whom to buy. But yeah, I wish he would stay. Because I don't think the results will keep on being this awful if he stays until the end of next season.

Parma Dewol

How much of a lasting impact can one dreadful result have?

A Liverpool supporter I know has been adamant ETH could never recover ever since you know what. I never put a lot of stock in one result, but do now wonder what that chastising game did for those involved.

spiriticon

A Liverpool supporter I know has been adamant ETH could never recover ever since you know what. I never put a lot of stock in one result, but do now wonder what that chastising game did for those involved.
Jose and Oles days were numbered after losing badly to Liverpool.

Our Erik lost 7 fecking 0.

As I said on that day, it's a sackable offence. It didn't happen because we had sack fatigue last year (and were doing well for the first few months)

parmenio

If we sack Ten Hag we are giving these sack of shits who call themselves professional players another chance. And I hope we do not do that. Clear out the rotten players first before we do the manager.
Surely we can do both.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Surely we can do both.
ETH is a decent manager. And to prove this just look how Ajax are doing now… he transformed them. We need to get rid of the players first. If we keep getting rid of managers then what does that tell the players? It gives them power and lets then dictate who’s in charge. The players go first IMO

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He deserves more time? I wonder whether the Villa fans were saying the same thing about Gerrard?

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
ETH is a decent manager. And to prove this just look how Ajax are doing now… he transformed them. We need to get rid of the players first. If we keep getting rid of managers then what does that tell the players? It gives them power and lets then dictate who’s in charge. The players go first IMO
A decent manager doesn’t lose 12 games before Christmas. He needs to go and so does 3/4 of the squad.

mu4c_20le

He's transformed us too.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
He was an important cog in the machine Overmars and van der Sar built. They were already transformed and on the rise and EtH was signed to go the final step with them (which he indeed did). Credit where it's due, but don't overestimate his influence and underestimate what the Overmars misconduct caused at Ajax.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
There's far more than that behind Ajax's current issues. We gutted their squad, along with other teams, and they lost both VdS and Overmars. Just look at how they have spent the money that they have invested - it's been a calamity.

el3mel

It's expected. The current board won't bother sacking and hiring a new coach now, paying a lot of money in the process, when they want to get rid of the whole thing as soon as possible. I don't think the Glazers care about the football team now at all. We will have to wait till new owners take charge before we start thinking of any changes regarding the club.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It's expected. The current board won't bother sacking and hiring a new coach now, paying a lot of money in the process, when they want to get rid of the whole thing as soon as possible. I don't think the Glazers care about the football team now at all. We will have to wait till new owners take charge before we start thinking of any changes regarding the club.
The mistake you've made is thinking the Glazers have ever cared about the football team.

gaffs

Jose and Oles days were numbered after losing badly to Liverpool.

Our Erik lost 7 fecking 0.

As I said on that day, it's a sackable offence. It didn't happen because we had sack fatigue last year (and were doing well for the first few months)
Nah, he didn't deserved to be sacked after that game. That is ridiculous. We just won a cup the week before and were 10 points out of 12 in the previous 4 games.

At the time it was a freak result, imo. All be it a terrible second half performance.

Fair to say though that this was the start of the rot.

city-puma

The mistake you've made is thinking the Glazers have ever cared about the football team.
I don’t believe they don’t care. The issues are that they don’t put it the highest priority and more importantly they are incompetent. Their decisions in so many things have been utterly failures.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I think this is fine. But, there has to be a plan and a direction. But if we're really being honest, there's a huge task to be undertaken at Utd to get the club back anywhere near the levels required to be seriously talking about competing at the top end of the league and Europe.

There's no sign of that plan or direction. At least not publicly and it really isn't being helped by the uncertainty in the background about the structure with INEOS and the ownership.

Fans are calling for ETH to be sacked, which is understandable considering the results and performances. But it will be the exact same scenario in 12-18 months. I even posted some comments from LVGs tenure in here the other day, it's almost like for like the same complaints being aimed at ETH.

Someone has to do the dirty work and if it turns out ETH can only do so much and isn't good enough to build a side and bring the team forward, then so be it. But at this stage, it makes zero sense to sack him for Potter or Zidane or whoever. Because you're just throwing them into the same hole and expecting them to dig their way out with no tools.
United knows that any new manager has a huge task on their hands and they need to oversee a multi-year project to get the club back to the top.

Also if you don't do that in 18 months you will also be sacked.

Blood Mage

If we sack Ten Hag we are giving these sack of shits who call themselves professional players another chance. And I hope we do not do that. Clear out the rotten players first before we do the manager.
He literally bought five of these useless sacks of shit.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
A decent manager doesn’t lose 12 games before Christmas. He needs to go and so does 3/4 of the squad.
When you’ve got halve a squad missing you do. We could still make top 4 the way this seasons going.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
While his performance has been sub-par this season, surely I'm not the only one who thinks that EtH should be given more time?

Let him have a good run of games without an injury ravaged squad, and see how he fares when Licha, Shaw, Casemiro, Mount, Bruno and Hojlund all start?

If new ownership can fix recruitment for EtH, perhaps he can still turn it around. Our CL campaign was so deeply affected by Onana, it is not reflective of EtH's abilities.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
While his performance has been sub-par this season, surely I'm not the only one who thinks that EtH should be given more time?

Let him have a good run of games without an injury ravaged squad, and see how he fares when Licha, Shaw, Casemiro, Mount, Bruno and Hojlund all start?

If new ownership can fix recruitment for EtH, perhaps he can still turn it around. Our CL campaign was so deeply affected by Onana, it is not reflective of EtH's abilities.
Newcastle, Brighton and other teams have been injury ravaged yet played better. None of this is an excuse for the mess he's got us in.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Newcastle, Brighton and other teams have been injury ravaged yet played better. None of this is an excuse for the mess he's got us in.
Impossible, we apparently have the worst injury crisis in the history of football.

erikcred

That game had a massive impact, but for a different reason than you suggest. The reaction after the game from the fans and even manager, indicated to the players that this sort of a result doesn't matter. It could be brushed aside easily as a "freak result", completely ignoring the disgraceful performance.

And that meant that a strong reaction was not demanded from the players or even the manger.

And that meant that our next two games were a draw at home against soon-to-be-relegated Southampton and an away defeat at Newcastle.

But we were league cup champions, so the lack of a proper reaction didn't matter much anymore. The same way, if we get hit for 5 against Liverpool, it'll only be because we have many injuries, according to so many on here and ETH can continue on his merry way.

gaffs

The most rotten players Ten Hag has signed.

It takes years to clear out players.

Unless there is a miracle turnaround, Ten Hag has gone. He can't get a tune out of the current squad so ownership won't trust him with hundreds of millions of pounds worth of new players.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
The most rotten players Ten Hag has signed.

It takes years to clear out players.

Unless there is a miracle turnaround, Ten Hag has gone. He can't get a tune out of the current squad so ownership won't trust him with hundreds of millions of pounds worth of new players.
Trusting him with those funds instead of having a proper structure in place to support any purchases was the mistake in the first place.

crossy1686

career ending
Not 20 years, but we should be looking for a manager who can carry us for at least five or so, which I think is something we all hoped Ten Hag would be, even if we didn't have that same feeling about his predecessors.

Obviously you don't just let consistently shit results slide without reacting, but this clamour for firing managers even more frequently than we already do is just an emotional reaction to wanting Ten Hag gone now, rather than in x amount of weeks/months time.

We need a rebuild, and that's not going to happen in 18-30 months.
You realise how rare it is that a manager can do that for that length of time? City went through 6 managers in 10 years, Liverpool went through 5 in 10 years, Chelsea went through 8 in 10 years. Clubs sack under performing managers and they bring in better one's when they have the chance. There's no shame in it, it's life. You can't hire someone with the plan that everything will work out fine for at least 5 years.

If you think it's an emotional reaction to want the manager gone you've ignored pretty much every single red flag on offer since the league cup win.

MyBloodIsRed

How do we know the players "he signed" are his first choices???? I'd love to drive a Mercedes not a Toyota... but my budget is X not Y.

I believe he's the right man. Feels like crap to be this poor but let's face it. No manager at United post Fergie (some with big CV's) couldn't get consistent results... what's the common theme? the club isn't a FC FIRST and FOREMOST... so decisions are not done to ensure on field success.

ETH shouldn't be punished for that.