Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 651 44.7%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 806 55.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Can we just see some sort of change? Perhaps try Antony on the left and see how that goes? Maybe not start McT and have Amrabat because Mainoo like we did vs Liverpool but Bruno in the #10? Can we tell AWB that it's ok to cross the ball? I'd just like to see something...

MyBloodIsRed

Him continuing to play McT has me questioning if he should be sacked….

not a fit CB in the group and no I don’t count our loaner Evans at 35 a fit CB

Oranges038

Don't think you can fully blame him today. Overall until West Ham scored Utd were comfortably the better side and always looked more damgerous.
Garnacho messed up 2 great chances, other times players picked the wrong choice. Couple of poor final balls, crossing and ball into the box are generally awful.

Their goals once again come from individual errors that always seem to get punished when Utd players make them.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
True enough, it hasn't just been this season. In hindsight the whole Ronaldo excuse helped cover up these problems for him from the get go.
That's it isn't it. It's karma for daring to cross the GOAT. Most of our fanbase have deluded themselves into thinking... well not anything in particular, just the general idea that you can construct an accurate picture of reality from internal phenomena.

An absolute mad situation to be in.

Spark

Sure, but in this case I think Ten Hag has been the least “screwed” by the Glazers of any of our post Fergie managers.
I’m not absolving Ten Hag in any way, his signings have been shit.

However, I don’t think he’s actually gotten all first choice transfers, been forced into shocking loans like Weghorst, loans of Amrabat, Reguilon (who admittedly hasn’t done much wrong and was cover for lack of LBs), all as a consequence of years of ineptitude in the transfer market that has left us flirting with FFP. We simply cannot sell players signed in the last 10 years

He also has a shocking level of injuries, which may be slightly his own fault but certainly is due to almost three years of insane fixture congestion.

Martinez is also a fantastic signing and we’ve missed him greatly this year.

But yes, the signings he has made have by and large been incredibly expensive, random and done feck all to improve us. Most worryingly they all seem to have the same agent which gives the whole thing a bit of a Big Sam feel about it.

3KDré

Don't think you can fully blame him today. Overall until West Ham scored Utd were comfortably the better side and always looked more damgerous.
Garnacho messed up 2 great chances, other times players picked the wrong choice. Couple of poor final balls.

Their goals once again come from individual errors that always seem to get punished when Utd players make them.
We had 72% of the ball and our first shot on target came after half an hour. Yes individual mistakes were made, but we should not be this bad.

Walters_19_MuFc

No clue mate, and I am not saying it is the best decision, just could see it happening if Ineos really has control of such decisions.
Yeah, I agree. I just don't know who's out there who could come in and really take us back to the top.

Last thing we should do is rush into sacking him without any real plan as to what we're going to do next.

Castia

I’d love for him to sit down and explain his formation/system. It makes no sense what so ever.

Swearing Budgie

Garnacho messed up 2 great chances, other times players picked the wrong choice. Couple of poor final balls.

surely a good manager / coach would result in players making fewer bad decisions though, due to, well, coaching?

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Can you explain? I'm intrigued
I will try: The pressure to keep a clean sheet at home in the second leg yet the onus was on the home side to attack and win, consistently proved too much to handle for most teams. For not only did they need the clean sheet. They had to score at least twice to be sure of getting through. Because one could be done by a late goal leading only 1 nil. That's how dangerous nil all draws away in knock out ties were thanks to the away goals rule.

Yet if you had a 1 goal away deficit. The opposing team could not come to your ground to park the bus and pick you off on the counter, if they wanted to stand ANY serioua chance of qualifying. Because an early goal from you would put them in immediate danger of elimination.

Rista

I’m not absolving Ten Hag in any way, his signings have been shit.

However, I don’t think he’s actually gotten all first choice transfers, been forced into shocking loans like Weghorst, loans of Amrabat, Reguilon (who admittedly hasn’t done much wrong and was cover for lack of LBs), all as a consequence of years of ineptitude in the transfer market that has left us flirting with FFP. We simply cannot sell players signed in the last 10 years

He also has a shocking level of injuries, which may be slightly his own fault but certainly is due to almost three years of insane fixture congestion.

Martinez is also a fantastic signing and we’ve missed him greatly this year.

But yes, the signings he has made have by and large been incredibly expensive, random and done feck all to improve us. Most worryingly they all seem to have the same agent which gives the whole thing a bit of a Big Sam feel about it.
No manager on the planet gets all his first choice transfers. Not even Guardiola. He has been "forced" into shocking loans because he wasted an absolute fortune on duds.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Having 72% possession doesn't mean we were "in control" of the match.

Rather, it means the opposition were happy to let us retain possession because they knew we'd do nothing with it and they could just hit us on the break. Just like in the LVG era.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Surely it's Glazers mistakes only Forest, Luton, Burnley, Wednesday have scored less than United. Probably it's the leaking roof and when Casemiro comes back we will demolish all teams.

Rista

I will try: The pressure to keep a clean sheet at home in the second leg yet the onus was on the home side to attack and win, consistently proved too much to handle for most teams. For not only did they need the clean sheet. They had to score at least twice to be sure of getting through. Because one could be done by a late goal leading only 1 nil. That's how dangerous nil all draws away in knock out ties were thanks to the away goals rule.

Yet if you had a 1 goal away deficit. The opposing team could not come to your ground to park the bus and pick you off on the counter, if they wanted to stand ANY serioua chance of qualifying. Because an early goal from you would put them in immediate danger of elimination.
So what do the stats say? You say non scoring draws rarely end up well for the second leg hosts. I seriously doubt losing the first leg gives you a better chance than that.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
No manager on the planet gets all his first choice transfers. Not even Guardiola. He has been "forced" into shocking loans because he wasted an absolute fortune on duds.
Yep. He spent 55m on Mount knowing full well that if Casemiro was injured he had nobody to play in the N6 position bar 18 year old Mainoo who ended up getting injued. So he got stuck with Amrabat. Just incredibly stupid from him. Pretty much 99% of people on the Caf knew we needed cover for Casemiro. Its just bizarre that ETH couldn't see it.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Having 72% possession doesn't mean we were "in control" of the match.

Rather, it means the opposition were happy to let us retain possession because they knew we'd do nothing with it and they could just hit us on the break. Just like in the LVG era.
Did we even struggle to score as badly as this under LVG ?

GMoore23

All the excuses about needing to get rid of this and that player in order to play good football is complete bollocks.

There's plenty of managers with inferior squads to us playing good football. They didn't need a billion to achieve it.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
So some people want to sack another manager?
And you think this will solve all problems?
Haven’t we been here before?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So what do the stats say? You say non scoring draws rarely end up well for the second leg hosts. I seriously doubt losing the first leg gives you a better chance than that.
That teams who got a 0-0 away draw were more likely to advance through the tie than teams who got an away goal loss. Any psychological advantage was outweighed by the material fact that a draw is better than a loss.

Oranges038

surely a good manager / coach would result in players making fewer bad decisions though, due to, well, coaching?
He can’t be blamed for every poor decision players make out on the pitch. The 2-0 was a shit result, but with more brains and better decision making in the final third Utd are 2 or 3 up before they even come close.

Bruno was utter gash as far as I'm concerned, pathetic performance from him. 2 teenagers and a 36 year showed more today than he has for a long time. Antony, I've defended before, lately I think he's just thick. Garnacho has messed more 1v1 chances than I care to remember, one last week and another one today.

Shark

@NotShark
Another incompetent manager employed by an incompetent board that allowed him to piss away another 400m. They all have to go.

mu4c_20le

I genuinely don't remember only scoring 18 goals by Christmas. This is unprecedented territory. The league table is a depressing read, we have as many goals as relegation clubs.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
No, absolutely nobody thinks that. It's just a convenient straw man to absolve the manager of all his many failings.

cyberman

This is where I’m getting frustrated with Ten Hag. He’s redone his tactics compared to last season which simply aren’t working yet he keeps persisting with it, exactly the same as Mourinho, Van Gaal and Ole did. We are playing with one midfielder at present which is Mainoo. McTominay is taking a false 9 position. Bruno is every where and hasn’t been great for some time. Why not go back to 4-3-3 and drop Bruno for a game. His system over one player? Antony has been awful since he came back, why not start Pellistri or put Bruno on the right so we have a solid midfield 3. We need to win the ball back in midfield quicker and give it to the forward players.

I refuse to believe the manager cannot get more from these players.
My main gripe is that he’s instilling a way of playing into players who mostly should be gone in the summer and who can’t play well to a high standard.
That means we do this all over again and go through this never ending cycle of growing pains with the returning players if Ten Hag survives.
It’s atrocious

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
When he extended Shaw and Rashford’s contracts and made Bruno captain, my heart sank.
We won’t move on with these three in the team. They should be done as United players but of course we do the opposite and are trying to build around them.

I don’t know if it’s his decision but if so - he has no one to blame but himself for the inevitable sack.