Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Amrabat will rotate with Mainoo (simply because of how underwhelming Amrabat has been) but pretty sure the minute Casemiro is back Mainoo will not see much game time.

I would love for Mainoo to cement his place as a starter but he's probably a temporary solution only.
If Casemiro comes back fit and ready, Mainoo will probably take Amrabat's place as the rotation option.

Amrabat hasn't shown anything to suggest he's worth bringing in permanently, and it makes for more sense to give the majority of the "backup" minutes to Mainoo, at this point.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If Casemiro comes back fit and ready, Mainoo will probably take Amrabat's place as the rotation option.

Amrabat hasn't shown anything to suggest he's worth bringing in permanently, and it makes for more sense to give the majority of the "backup" minutes to Mainoo, at this point.
I agree, however with Amrabat being ETH's trusted man I would expect him to be above Mainoo. We'll see soon.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Tomorrow's game is big for whether we can salvage something from this season. It's a must win.

Win this and Spurs on 14th and we can go into the winter break in the race for 5th with players coming back.

Expecting defeat the way we are playing but have to hope he can deliver a useful away win for once.

dutchred

I agree, however with Amrabat being ETH's trusted man I would expect him to be above Mainoo. We'll see soon.
I disagree. ETH is handling Mainoo very well. He will be playing more than Amrabat now that we have no europe committment, only the FA Cup besides the league.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
It's well known at this stage that Ten Hag is an admirer of Mainoo and wanted him involved with us since last spring before his injury.

Doubt Amrabat displaces Mainoo here but you never know I guess.

El Jefe

100% this.

He's the man. Let the new structure bed in, sort out recruitment so we're not constantly in a cycle of buying aging and/or overrated "superstars" on silly contracts and then having no money to sort out problems, and we'll fly. A season out of Europe will also do us good so we can focus on the league and training the systems without Thursday evening distractions.
Based on what exactly?

Red Royal

It's well known at this stage that Ten Hag is an admirer of Mainoo and wanted him involved with us since last spring before his injury.

Doubt Amrabat displaces Mainoo here but you never know I guess.
Hopefully when Casemiro is back, we can afford the luxury of easing him back with a few minutes and increasing it gradually - we all know he wont be ready to go for 90 minutes from the off. With Mainoo, Erikesen and Amrabat we have enough options. Playing only a game a week will help in this respect too. EtH needs to use his squad and 5 subs well for 2nd half of season.

USREDEVIL

For this season maybe we should revert back to counter attacking football to get results to qualify for next year CL?

We should stop trying to build up from the back and keep passing the balls between the defence and GK?

Let the opposition attacks us since our midfield is so bad. Let them come at us and we hit them at the break.

We were so deadly against Villa playing counter attack and almost won in Liverpool.

I know it's a shit football and all that. But ETH can't coach proper attack at PL level now.
yeah, for now the midfield isn't creative enough to play out the back.
everytime we try to "set up" it turns into mush
we look way more dangerous on the break

Oranges038

For this season maybe we should revert back to counter attacking football to get results to qualify for next year CL?

We should stop trying to build up from the back and keep passing the balls between the defence and GK?

Let the opposition attacks us since our midfield is so bad. Let them come at us and we hit them at the break.

We were so deadly against Villa playing counter attack and almost won in Liverpool.

I know it's a shit football and all that. But ETH can't coach proper attack at PL level now.
No.

Utd didn't sit in to counter against Villa, they pressed them high from the very start and nailed them in behind because they play a very risky high line that works almsot 90% of the time.

Reverting back to a deeper counter attacking game makes no sense. What you're advocating for is securing short term results without looking at the longer term impact.

A manager has been brought in to evolve the playing style and bring Utd towards a more dominant style of football. You really have to stick with that for it to work and weed out the players who just aren't capable of fitting in. It takes a lot longer than 18 months to make it work and bed in new players and get everyone on the same page on and off the pitch.

mav_9me

This plus they have a higher technical floor than the seniors, they are built for the style he is struggling to implement. Imagine that Gore, Hannibal and Kambwala helped us see out a game against an in form Villa when the seniors couldn't hold off Galatasaray and the great Danes.
Great point. Lot of the credit for that goes to the youngsters who worked hard, great intensity and pressed high barely letting them into our half. As opposed to say Copenhagen who got a pen in the last minute as they kept attacking our box.

Cloud7

We've all seen the script this season. We often get a result just when things are on the precipice of becoming untenable, before limping to the next bad result. I would be pleasantly surprised if we get a result tomorrow.

The Hilton

No.

Utd didn't sit in to counter against Villa, they pressed them high from the very start and nailed them in behind because they play a very risky high line that works almsot 90% of the time.

Reverting back to a deeper counter attacking game makes no sense. What you're advocating for is securing short term results without looking at the longer term impact.

A manager has been brought in to evolve the playing style and bring Utd towards a more dominant style of football. You really have to stick with that for it to work and weed out the players who just aren't capable of fitting in. It takes a lot longer than 18 months to make it work and bed in new players and get everyone on the same page on and off the pitch.
This is exactly right, far too many folks on here seem to think that the change to a dominant possession based team or monstrous pressing team is simple, and that we can park the bus until the players are back and then just start being progressive again. If we want to master a proactive style of football, we'll need to stick with it through the dark times and expect a few drubbings.

Cult of Personality

This is exactly right, far too many folks on here seem to think that the change to a dominant possession based team or monstrous pressing team is simple, and that we can park the bus until the players are back and then just start being progressive again. If we want to master a proactive style of football, we'll need to stick with it through the dark times and expect a few drubbings.
ten Hag can't afford any drubbings now. If he had put in the hard yards and tried to implement a proactive style from the jump, he'd have a lot less people against him.

People don't like to see the word cowardly thrown around. But he's been in self-preservation mode for pretty much his entire reign after those 2 opening defeats. Always looking for quick fixes instead of taking his medicine. Things like starting McTominay in the hope that he'll keep a rare goal streak going.

Now he's at a stage where if he was to commit a high pressing/counter pressing style, he has too many defeats in the bank to carry that extra weight (defeats).

He should have played the long game like Ange is at Spurs. He's fully committed to his style. They have very poor squad depth compared to United, yet still find themselves 5 points ahead while missing van de Ven, Romero, Bissouma, Bentancur and Maddison for spells of the season. Some of it inflicted by unnecessary suspensions (Bissouma). Spurs will benefit from it in the long term. The style is there. What's needed is more squad depth and an upgrade or two on the likes of Richarlison.

He's basically got to find a way scrape 4th/5th to save his job. That probably means he's going to be pragmatic. It's certainly not impossible. United have a better squad than Spurs, Newcastle, West Ham and Brighton. Villa are the ones who might be difficult to catch if they strengthen in January.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
ten Hag can't afford any drubbings now. If he had put in the hard yards and tried to implement a proactive style from the jump, he'd have a lot less people against him.

People don't like to see the word cowardly thrown around. But he's been in self-preservation mode for pretty much his entire reign after those 2 opening defeats. Always looking for quick fixes instead of taking his medicine. Things like starting McTominay in the hope that he'll keep a rare goal streak going.

Now he's at a stage where if he was to commit a high pressing/counter pressing style, he has too many defeats in the bank to carry that extra weight (defeats).
But United do already play a high-pressing style. Pressing stats have gone up significantly this season, and the successful high press was one of the hallmarks of the Villa and the Chelsea games. It's been inconsistent, the follow-up has generally been poor (what happens after the ball has been won), and there have been other issues - but it's undeniable that United have been transitioning to a high-press side this season.

It's basically a slow stylistic transition: defensive stability last season, now the press, and probably attacking patterns next. It's obviously been a fairly slow process with numerous setbacks (including the many absences this season, which probably contributed significantly to the setback in defensive stability), and you can contest decisions on various aspects and details within the process - but the intended direction as such is clear.

Borninthe80ts

But United do already play a high-pressing style. Pressing stats have gone up significantly this season, and the successful high press was one of the hallmarks of the Villa and the Chelsea games. It's been inconsistent, the follow-up has generally been poor (what happens after the ball has been won), and there have been other issues - but it's undeniable that United have been transitioning to a high-press side this season.

It's basically a slow stylistic transition: defensive stability last season, now the press, and probably attacking patterns next. It's obviously been a fairly slow process with numerous setbacks (including the many absences this season, which probably contributed significantly to the setback in defensive stability), and you can contest decisions on various aspects and details within the process - but the intended direction as such is clear.
I fully agree with this. The main failure during the managers tenure has been consistency. I’m sure there are aspects where he has played a part in this but the issues outside his control have impacted more than anything.

Injuries, controversy, takeovers and other variables have set the tone from the time that Martinez got injured last season and it’s been a fight uphill ever since. I’ve seen Ten be adaptable, reactive and try to implement his ideas even when under intense pressure.

Some times new managers can make an instant impact but in those situations the environment is normally more stable that an that which we have been in for 10 years plus. I still think to really change the clubs culture it takes time and 1 and a half years is still putting the base in place, ie reduced age profile and academy inclusion as you say show the intention is there. Just need some luck in executing it.

Oranges038

Yeap, it takes time to bed everything in and build those relationships around the pitch and for players to fully recognise all the triggers for movement etc. If you are 100% wedded to building towards a style You really have to stick with it and ride out those bumps.

Reverting to a different style to see out one or two games is fine, but you can't just change course completely to focus on getting into Europe. That short term focus is what's got the club into the mess it's found itself in.

Earth Wind and McGuire

FFs, will you give over about the 400 million spent. United are shite at transfers regardless of managers, that’s a club issue, not a managers issue. A new Co owner insisted on being in charge of the football side specifically because we are a mess in that department.

I can’t understand how any fan can find this hard to get. If United pay 2-3 times what a player is worth, that’s nothing to do with a manager. It just means that a manager isn’t getting “400 million of transfers”, they are effectively getting half that because of the club’s dysfunctional transfer policy/competency.

The injury issue is something some of you really don’t get. We bought a keeper specifically to play out from the back and our first and second choice central defence and full backs are missing for a lot of the season. That’s not even discussing our starting central midfield that’s equally missing most of the season. Even Mainoo was out for months aswell, and then we get some of you whinging about McT starting as if there’s a conveyor belt of options available.

I think a lot of you just don’t understand how difficult this season would be regardless of manager. I can’t remember ever seeing this level of injury issues. I can’t remember a manager having so many injuries , having to rely so much on youngsters while at the same time having no striker options.

The club has let the manager and the squad down yet again and some fans think the manager is the issue. :rolleyes:

I’m not sure how you expect progress with all this sh*te, to go with the other sh*te I haven’t even mentioned. That said , I thought some of our football against Villa was really good. And that wasn’t luck and it wasnt pumping the ball to Fellaini (like some person quoted a comeback against Newcastle a while back). We played some great football.

Our players are short in confidence, teams short of confidence play poorly and look badly coached. On the rare occasions our team has built some momentum in games we have looked good.

Soke of you only look at the negatives. In an alternative univers, Hoijland doesn’t have 2 goals dissalowed and he scores early in the EPL and we beat arsenal away. We could have beaten spurs had we taken advantage of the first half display.

I don’t see us like Jose’s last days, we look short in confidence, not like players are giving up. We aren’t lumping the ball up to fellaini/McT. For players to be still with a manager, after so much of an awful season, says a lot about the manager. Also points to players believing that the manager isn’t necessarily problem.
hear hear

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Come on Erik, stick to the basics tomorrow. Get a win to ease some more pressure…

Yakuza_devils

He should have played the long game like Ange is at Spurs. He's fully committed to his style. They have very poor squad depth compared to United, yet still find themselves 5 points ahead while missing van de Ven, Romero, Bissouma, Bentancur and Maddison for spells of the season. Some of it inflicted by unnecessary suspensions (Bissouma). Spurs will benefit from it in the long term. The style is there. What's needed is more squad depth and an upgrade or two on the likes of Richarlison.

He's basically got to find a way scrape 4th/5th to save his job. That probably means he's going to be pragmatic. It's certainly not impossible. United have a better squad than Spurs, Newcastle, West Ham and Brighton. Villa are the ones who might be difficult to catch if they strengthen in January.
Exactly. Our build up play in attack is nowhere near good enough. Any decent team that sit back can easily counter attack us. And when we play good team we were always being totally out played especially in midfield. We are not here nor there at the moment and not getting the results.

Might as well play to our strength which is counter attacking football bypassing our "non-existent" midfield. I don't believe that a style of play need 2 to 3 years to establish. The problem is we can't see any effective style of play from ETH after 2 years and spent 400M. This is the luxury that very few coach are given. 400M in 2 years is a lot of money even for EPL standard. As it stands, our goal difference is negative, we can't score and we can't defend, worst of all our midfield is non-existent. What we are good at?

honirelandboy

Exactly. Our build up play in attack is nowhere near good enough. Any decent team that sit back can easily counter attack us. And when we play good team we were always being totally out played especially in midfield. We are not here nor there at the moment and not getting the results.

Might as well play to our strength which is counter attacking football bypassing our "non-existent" midfield. I don't believe that a style of play need 2 to 3 years to establish. The problem is we can't see any effective style of play from ETH after 2 years and spent 400M. This is the luxury that very few coach are given. 400M in 2 years is a lot of money even for EPL standard. As it stands, our goal difference is negative, we can't score and we can't defend, worst of all our midfield is non-existent. What we are good at?
Look it is what it is. Did Ten Hag think at the start of the season that his four starting midfielders in Casemeiro, Mainoo, Mount and Eriksen were going to out for basically the first half of the season. Any manager would struggle if there first four choice midfielders were out and Amrabat was a panic loan signing because of the injuries. We are going to see a very different United very soon. He tried to get rid of Scott, Ten Hag knows he's not good enough but had no choice but to play him. Mainoo is only 18 as well, he has to be eased in and is managing him very well.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Yakuza_devils

Look it is what it is. Did Ten Hag think at the start of the season that his four starting midfielders in Casemeiro, Mainoo, Mount and Eriksen were going to out for basically the first half of the season. Any manager would struggle if there first four choice midfielders were out and Amrabat was a panic loan signing because of the injuries. We are going to see a very different United very soon. He tried to get rid of Scott, Ten Hag knows he's not good enough but had no choice but to play him. Mainoo is only 18 as well, he has to be eased in and is managing him very well.
Spurs and Brighton have lots of injuries at the moment. No excuses, continue to play their attacking football. Spent far less than us and the manager are new too.

mav_9me

Spurs and Brighton have lots of injuries at the moment. No excuses, continue to play their attacking football. Spent far less than us and the manager are new too.
Spurs haven't had as many injuries as us, in any case are only 5 points ahead of us.
Brighton are struggling too.

They are playing their football. ETH is playing his football too similarly. High press etc.

And here you are asking if ETH should play counter attack football. Contradiction.

mav_9me

I fully agree with this. The main failure during the managers tenure has been consistency. I’m sure there are aspects where he has played a part in this but the issues outside his control have impacted more than anything.

Injuries, controversy, takeovers and other variables have set the tone from the time that Martinez got injured last season and it’s been a fight uphill ever since. I’ve seen Ten be adaptable, reactive and try to implement his ideas even when under intense pressure.

Some times new managers can make an instant impact but in those situations the environment is normally more stable that an that which we have been in for 10 years plus. I still think to really change the clubs culture it takes time and 1 and a half years is still putting the base in place, ie reduced age profile and academy inclusion as you say show the intention is there. Just need some luck in executing it.
My main issues with him has been not the results but 2 things under his control.

1. Playing McT, making our attack and everything much much worse

2. Fullbacks not backing up the press and the distance between defensive 5 and pressing attacking 5.

Now others have pointed out to me that 2nd point is on the deficiencies of the players and not on ETH. Which is why I am reevaluating my position on ETH out (where I was after the Newcastle disaster)

RedOrange

My main issues with him has been not the results but 2 things under his control.

1. Playing McT, making our attack and everything much much worse

2. Fullbacks not backing up the press and the distance between defensive 5 and pressing attacking 5.

Now others have pointed out to me that 2nd point is on the deficiencies of the players and not on ETH. Which is why I am reevaluating my position on ETH out (where I was after the Newcastle disaster)
The first point isn't on ETH either. Who was he supposed to put in in McTominay's place for those minutes? Hannibal? Dan Gore? How much better are they than McTominay? Which teenaged academy lads do we think would be on 5 goals if they got McTominay's minutes so far this season?

honirelandboy

Casemiro was a panic signing, we all accept that because we couldn't get Frankie De Jong. Anthony should of not be signing for the money he was but he is a possession player which Ten Hag wanted. We know from previous managers that some United players have serious attitude problems and would love to throw Ten Hag under the bus, Rashford been one of the main ones. Its a work in progress under Ten Hag and its only going to get better. He was 100% right with Sancho, he is setting the tone of the club that there is no more bull shit allowed here. Its going to take another summer but the club is getting back to how it should be, players playing for the badge and no whiny players left who dont give 100%.There's a couple of players I won't mention that need a complete kick of the arse as well. Ten hag is doing the best he can.

Glorio

The first point isn't on ETH either. Who was he supposed to put in in McTominay's place for those minutes? Hannibal? Dan Gore? How much better are they than McTominay? Which teenaged academy lads do we think would be on 5 goals if they got McTominay's minutes so far this season?
They may not have scored as much, but they're much better technically and better tacklers too. We'd have less basketball end-to-end games and probably not have been averaging 20 shots conceded either (a lot of our games, regardless of who we've played against have basically been shootouts which depended on who was the most economical with their chances on the day - including the Chelsea game).

I actually think if we replaced McTom with any midfielder, Amrabat included, we'd be a lot higher up the table as we'd have more cohesion and would have done a better job creating chances and controlling games

RedOrange

I actually think if we replaced McTom with any midfielder, Amrabat included, we'd be a lot higher up the table as we'd have more cohesion and would have done a better job creating chances and controlling games
If he'd played Amarabat more you'd be talking about the things Amarabat isn't good at and how we'd be higher up the table if McTominay had played instead.

NLunited

Such a bad post: we have been pressing since the first game this season. You are clueless. Especially after the pressing masterclass MU just delivered against Villa.

Chumpsbechumps

There’s more sanity in the forum when United are not looking so bad and when we lose it’s like a MAGA site with all the crazies taking over

Glorio

If he'd played Amarabat more you'd be talking about the things Amarabat isn't good at and how we'd be higher up the table if McTominay had played instead.
I won't - because we'd actually be higher up the table without a giant hole in midfield, any team would. And as for McTom, he would probably be a lot more impactful as a super sub.

I think it's clear what Amrabat isn't good at, but he is at least a midfielder. In no world would I pine for McTominay to be starting (unless perhaps as a makeshift number 10 along with two actual CMs if we're out of options)

Yakuza_devils

Hope the Man Utd of the Villa game turn up today and not the West Ham one. The inconsistency is killing us.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
People keep raving about the amazing football Newcastle and Spurs play.
But when Newcastle got exactly TWO injuries, they fell apart. Spurs too.

Jesus, even City are struggling without KDB and Haaland.

How would any of those incredible, insanely great, a joy to watch, greatest ever football teams cope with the amount of injuries United had to deal with this season?

Again - ETH made mistakes, but surely you can't ignore this massive factor.

And I'm getting pretty sick of that cliche about the 400 million. He didn't get an entire squad for the money. He got 5 players. It's entirely on our shit structure and lack of planing, that we are forced to overpay for players again and again.
This has been an issue for 10 years, surely you can't blame managers for that.

Actually, the only transfer target that I recall ETH publicly insisted on and pushed for, was FDJ.

And the only reason the idiots at the board had to pay insane money for Antony and Casemiro, was because they once again were way too late and had to panic buy after we got trashed by Brentford.

A properly run football club secures Antony in March and buys him in June for 30 million max.

Chumpsbechumps

People keep raving about the amazing football Newcastle and Spurs play.
But when Newcastle got exactly TWO injuries, they fell apart. Spurs too.

Jesus, even City are struggling without KDB and Haaland.

How would any of those incredible, insanely great, a joy to watch, greatest ever football teams cope with the amount of injuries United had to deal with this season?

Again - ETH made mistakes, but surely you can't ignore this massive factor.

And I'm getting pretty sick of that cliche about the 400 million. He didn't get an entire squad for the money. He got 5 players. It's entirely on our shit structure and lack of planing, that we are forced to overpay for players again and again.
This has been an issue for 10 years, surely you can't blame managers for that.

Actually, the only transfer target that I recall ETH publicly insisted on and pushed for, was FDJ.

And the only reason the idiots at the board had to pay insane money for Antony and Casemiro, was because they once again were way too late and had to panic buy after we got trashed by Brentford.

A properly run football club secures Antony in March and buys him in June for 30 million max.
Couldn’t have written it better myself. Good to see some common sense return to the forum.

The £400 million thing being thrown at ETH is so f**king stupid.

I think of it like ETH is the head chef. He told the club what ingredients he wanted/needed to make a delicious meal. The club wayyyy over spent on the ingredients and as such the chef is short on a lot of elements to make the dish he was hired to serve. Some of the ingredients even went off and the club expected him to use older ingredients that should of been thrown out ages ago.

When the chef finally dishes up the meal people are going mad because they spent a fortune on the meal. The chef isn’t able to tell them that their employer was the fault because it’s their employer and they’d be sacked for speaking out.

So some people blame the chef cause he cooked the food. Others wonder if there’s more to it then that….

United spending £400 is not like any other club in the world spending that amount which means every United manager gets inferior players. Not just that, these players have massive transfer fee thrown at them , making their jobs even harder. “You expect more from an £80mil player” just kicks them when they are down.

But sure a chef has to make do with the ingredients , find spices to make it taste nicer and work with management to get more out of less. Hard to do that when you don’t even know who will be your boss while they engage in a year long “strategic review” and keep putting sh*t off.

mintyred

Couldn’t have written it better myself. Good to see some common sense return to the forum.

The £400 million thing being thrown at ETH is so f**king stupid.

I think of it like ETH is the head chef. He told the club what ingredients he wanted/needed to make a delicious meal. The club wayyyy over spent on the ingredients and as such the chef is short on a lot of elements to make the dish he was hired to serve. Some of the ingredients even went off and the club expected him to use older ingredients that should of been thrown out ages ago.

When the chef finally dishes up the meal people are going mad because they spent a fortune on the meal. The chef isn’t able to tell them that their employer was the fault because it’s their employer and they’d be sacked for speaking out.

So some people blame the chef cause he cooked the food. Others wonder if there’s more to it then that….

United spending £400 is not like any other club in the world spending that amount which means every United manager gets inferior players. Not just that, these players have massive transfer fee thrown at them , making their jobs even harder. “You expect more from an £80mil player” just kicks them when they are down.

But sure a chef has to make do with the ingredients , find spices to make it taste nicer and work with management to get more out of less. Hard to do that when you don’t even know who will be your boss while they engage in a year long “strategic review” and keep putting sh*t off.
Newcastle got a boatload of injuries and Spurs had quite a few too, but they're also not amazing teams.

City have lost 2 of their best players but they've also lost Mahrez and Gundo last season.

We have had a lot of injuries, but even with our squad basically fully fit it's been mediocre. There is no style of play and the players are confused as to what they're supposed to be doing. ETH would be failing regardless, injuries just buy him time.

Oranges038

Newcastle got a boatload of injuries and Spurs had quite a few too, but they're also not amazing teams.

City have lost 2 of their best players but they've also lost Mahrez and Gundo last season.

We have had a lot of injuries, but even with our squad basically fully fit it's been mediocre. There is no style of play and the players are confused as to what they're supposed to be doing. ETH would be failing regardless, injuries just buy him time.
That is just not true at all, can't understand why people still say this.