Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Roux

What options does he have? I actually have a bit of sympathy for ETH in this regard, because the bench is just so dreadful. He has to make subs to get fresh legs on, and yellow carded players off, but he can't do it without drastically reducing the quality of the team.

I would have maybe taken off Bruno for Eriksen around 60-65 minutes, but other than that, I'm not sure I can complain too much about it. McTominay had to come on at some point, as much as I don't like it.
Quite a few actually - McTominay was understandable, brings energy and Casemiro was on a yellow. Put Antony in his natural position on the right and Garnacho back in his natural position on the left. Pack the midfield with Eriksen on for Hojlund and shift McTominay further forward. Instead, he created chaos by having 3 central defenders and a youngster up front - the whole team looked disconnected after that.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The third goal is the kind that only an irresponsible team concedes. At that time of the match, we should never give up such a goal.

The Antony sub was stupid but not even his biggest hater (me) could think he’d be that poor but what the feck was that Forson sub about. It’s flying under the radar because of how shite Antony was but Forson came on and looked like he had no clue about what to do.

This team is poorly setup and gives up way too many easy goals.
It's the same issues over and over again that get exposed even more so when you combine it with abhorrent in game management. He isn't good at drilling defensive structure and responsibilities, so when a team has control and is going at us we look vulnerable. One would think that a logical person would make up for this by ensuring we control the midfield ourselves and always offer a threat going forward even when defending leads, but nope he tries to be Mourinho without any of the competence in defensive solidity.

Chumpsbechumps

Reading some of the posts in here I’m Delighted I missed the game. I’m gutted we lost 4-3 to a last minute winner.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The only one that did it consistently well in his prime was Mourinho, and he was the best coach in the world at drilling defensive structure. Even THEN we'd be under seige unnecessarily. It's just always a stupid move unless we are talking about the final 3/5 minutes of a game. Doing it when there are 15/20 minutes left is comically bad management.
Yes but I think still Mourinho still kept his best attacking outlets on the pitch anyway.

Stadjer

Quite a few actually - McTominay was understandable, brings energy and Casemiro was on a yellow. Put Antony in his natural position on the right and Garnacho on the left. Pack the midfield with Eriksen on for Hojlund and shift McTominay further forward. Instead, he created chaos by having 3 central defenders and a youngster up front - the whole team looked disconnected after that.
Maguire for Martinez was understandable too. Martinez had ice on his foot so he might have been feeling some pain and with his injury history its better not to risk him. It was a centre back for a centre back and kept the two centre backs setup complete.

Bringing on Evans for Garnacho was a bad sub. Bringing on Forson was a bad sub too.

Roux

Maguire for Martinez was understandable too. Martinez had ice on his foot so he might have been feeling some pain and with his injury history its better not to risk him. It was a centre back for a centre back and kept the two centre backs setup complete.

Bringing on Evans for Garnacho was a bad sub. Bringing on Forson was a bad sub too.
yep agree - moving to a back 3 just invited pressure. Evans and Forson subs were bizarre.

Valencia Shin Crosses

What options does he have? I actually have a bit of sympathy for ETH in this regard, because the bench is just so dreadful. He has to make subs to get fresh legs on, and yellow carded players off, but he can't do it without drastically reducing the quality of the team.

I would have maybe taken off Bruno for Eriksen around 60-65 minutes, but other than that, I'm not sure I can complain too much about it. McTominay had to come on at some point, as much as I don't like it.
McT was fine mainly because Case was on a yellow and Mainoo could sit deeper, but taking off our biggest counter threat for a non-existent counter threat (and all around awful player) in Antony was sackable.

The subs should have been McTominay and Eriksen for Casemiro and Garnacho (and then Maguire if Martinez was hurt but I don't know that situation). I would have also brought on Amad for Bruno but he would never do that. Point being you can't take off attackers AND make your midfield lose all control with two players that are the opposite of calm in possession with Bruno and McTominay still on. Either go to a diamond or at bare minimum keep the lethal counter threat.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yes but I think still Mourinho still kept his best attacking outlets on the pitch anyway.
I don't remember to be honest, I just remember we'd go full bus mode at around the 75th minute and I'd hate watch the rest of matches (but we'd normally see them out comfortably without actually conceding chances. Just lots of scary looking crosses)

Roboc7

Mixed game for him tonight but got the result which was desperately needed.

Recruitment has been a disaster since he joined, what we’ve bought for the money spent is horrendous. I’m not sure how good a manager he is but I don’t think he’d be anywhere near losing his job if even a portion of that was spent better.

Acquire Me

The third goal is the kind that only an irresponsible team concedes. At that time of the match, we should never give up such a goal.

The Antony sub was stupid but not even his biggest hater (me) could think he’d be that poor but what the feck was that Forson sub about. It’s flying under the radar because of how shite Antony was but Forson came on and looked like he had no clue about what to do.

This team is poorly setup and gives up way too many easy goals.
Got the assist though :)

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
We're 500-1 to win the league.. hear me out.

- No Champion's League
- Easy run with lots of points available right now
- Best players coming back
- Look completely different side
- New optimism with new owners..

500-1

haha.. 16 points behind with 16 games to play.

Who's in?
He's delusional

Take him to the infirmary

United492

Thought ETH nailed it tonight.

Clearly there were some errors that players made, probably because they're human.

Epic game, could quite conceivably have been 5-6 up, alas it wasn't to be. However, apart from the cup game v Palace, this was the most "together" performance I've seen.

1st choice back 4 for o Casemiro sitting in, Mainoo doing his thing and then the speed merchants being fed by Bruno.

It wasn't perfect. If it was perfect, some twonk on here would be saying it was "too perfect" or "the opposition were shite".

Good 3 points against a good team in form. Showed character and kept going, contrary to performances this season where we've folded, especially away from home.

We actually had spirit in the team.

He's managed the Rashford issue well in my eyes and deserves some credit tonight.

spwd

Thought ETH nailed it tonight.

Clearly there were some errors that players made, probably because they're human.

Epic game, could quite conceivably have been 5-6 up, alas it wasn't to be. However, apart from the cup game v Palace, this was the most "together" performance I've seen.

1st choice back 4 for o Casemiro sitting in, Mainoo doing his thing and then the speed merchants being fed by Bruno.

It wasn't perfect. If it was perfect, some twonk on here would be saying it was "too perfect" or "the opposition were shite".

Good 3 points against a good team in form. Showed character and kept going, contrary to performances this season where we've folded, especially away from home.

We actually had spirit in the team.

He's managed the Rashford issue well in my eyes and deserves some credit tonight.
What in the world are you drinking? :houllier:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
When a manager has this habit of taking off attacking players for defensive ones whenever the situation is really tough, you know he has no business being there.
It's pure cowardice, he got bailed out by the brilliance of Mainoo
Got bailed out :lol:
And the times we scuffed big chance attacks he was really lucky in too I'm guessing.

spwd

His in-game management makes Ole's look world class. Every game feels like a cup final under him because of how often he shits his pants with his tactics and subs.
Yet some think he nailed it and made good subs!

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Honestly I’m reading some of the dribble in this thread and I’m afraid most haven’t the slightest clue what they’re on about. Never kicked a ball in their lives I reckon.

kouroux

Got bailed out :lol:
And the times we scuffed big chance attacks he was really lucky in too I'm guessing.
He did get a massive save from Mainoo in the end. From 2-0 comfortable to 3-3 would have been a disaster for him. I only deal in what happened, not "scuffed chances".

BoulderDevil

He did get a massive save from Mainoo in the end. From 2-0 comfortable to 3-3 would have been a disaster for him. I only deal in what happened, not "scuffed chances".
The team got saved not Ten Hag. They wasted their chances the whole game . Ten Hag can’t kick a ball for them. I only deal in facts

kouroux

The team got saved not Ten Hag. They wasted their chances the whole game . Ten Hag can’t kick a ball for them. I only deal in facts
And yet he is liable to suffer from bad performances from the team (and the opposite of course), not sure why I gotta precise such a stupid thing to you or maybe you're that ignorant

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I only deal in what happened but I like to consider a would be 3-3. feck me.

At the end of the day he was due some conviction from his attack given the sheer amount of openings we made. Sick and tired of this narrative.

Lentwood

I really don't like the relentlessly negative substitutions. What message does it send to the lads on the pitch when they see Maguire and Evans coming on in stoppage time? Mentally it says, "backs to the wall and defend time".

The message should be, "keep possession, keep playing forwards"

Its not like subbing on defenders and dropping deep has ever worked for us. We're pitiful at seeing a game out.

Stinkypete

Aside from Rashford and Shaw this is a completely different side to Ole and Rangnick's time at the club. Not sure fully what you were getting at but if you're trying to defend ETH, this is the team he's built.
Not really, your forgetting Bruno, Garnacho, Maguire, Dalot, mctominay, Varane.

kouroux

I only deal in what happened but I like to consider a would be 3-3. feck me.

At the end of the day he was due some conviction from his attack given the sheer amount of openings we made. Sick and tired of this narrative.
We actually were at 3-3, it's the reality of the game, there ain't no "would be " about it. Luckily, Mainoo bailed him out the entire team. I don't give a shit what you're sick of it tbh, if you don't like what's being said about him then it's on you to deal with it.

Shark

@NotShark
Not really, your forgetting Bruno, Garnacho, Maguire, Dalot, mctominay, Varane.
Was more so talking about the starting eleven tonight which is considered ETH's strongest. Bruno and Varane I missed. Garnacho didn't feature under them, did he?

BorisManUtd

McTominay for Casemiro (who was obviously on a yellow) proved a right sub as McT scored again. Didn't like him bringing Evans for Garnacho at 3-2 as we still needed forward players for counters. Luckily Mainoo saved the day.

Looking at ten Hag's transfers so far and I'd say some have been hits like Martinez, Casemiro, Malacia (cheap and useful though limited player), Evans and Hojlund. Weghorst and Sabizer were fine as 6 month loans. On the other hand he's had some expensive misses like Antony and Onana, while we're yet to really see Mount. Amrabat has been meh but do believe he'll prove to be a 'good enough' 1 year loan deal come summer when he inevitably goes back to Fiorentina.

tomaldinho1

His subs were fine. McT was a great sub. Forsun had a big hand in the winner and the the others all made sense. You’d think we lost 4-0 from this thread.

Only thing he fecked up today was letting the CBs bar Licha go up for the corner when we were 1 up. Should have been screaming at them to stay back.

RuudTom83

I know the manager divides opinion.

But I’d just leave him where he is. Hojlund, Garnacho and Mainoo have a manager who trusts them.

Just leave them alone and let Sir Jim revamp the background team first.

Last edited:

Irwin99

The subs were understandable and one resulted in a goal. The attack became pretty jaded towards the end of the game and he's hardly got any good attacking subs so it was fair enough (a reflection on a poor squad)

Weirdly our defence actually played well today...and yet we conceded three goals.

arthurka

The only good thing I see is that we got some young players in and around the first team who we can look forward to see more from. But ETH is not the future manager of Manchester United.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Aside from Rashford and Shaw this is a completely different side to Ole and Rangnick's time at the club. Not sure fully what you were getting at but if you're trying to defend ETH, this is the team he's built.
I'm not defending any of them. Ten Hag is shit. The players are shit. It's all shit.

Judas

Open to offers
We are wasteful, very wasteful, don't create enough, but when we do we're more often than not more than likely to waste an opening than do something with it.

In the end we were lucky tonight, but it should never have got to that point. We should have buried them.

Mr Smith

Only the caf could be this upset after winning a game we absolutely dominated the majority of. Yes we need to control games better and Ten Hag's substitutions did not help to control the game, but some of them were enforced (Casemiro, Martinez), and it shouldn't change the fact that we were absolutely all over a team that battered us in the reverse fixture.