Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 666 44.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 816 55.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JohnnyLaw

I don't judge him against Arteta and Klopp in their earlier seasons.. Arteta inherited a fractured squad, got rid of their bigger abs me established players in favour of younger players to look at being successful in the long term. He also instilled a good underlying style of football that we evident even when they weren't getting results. The end result of that is exactly what they were aiming for. Klopp also had a poor team at the start, the teams he was putting out in his first season are night and day from the quality they have now or even we have now.

The thing is we've still not got a discernible and credible style of play, even with our best team. We never control a game and have come close to dropping points in many of our wins. Even after a solid first season, many talked about all these things as being of concern and areas where we needed to improve. Naturally, with these things not improving, results have caught up.

Unlike some, I also actually think our players are better than they're given credit for. Certainly good enough to beat some of the teams we've lost to and largely been outplayed by. The likes of Bournemouth, who beat us 3-0 but should have scored even more. Fulham, Palace, Forest. Even with our weaker teams, I think we had enough to put these teams to bed comfortably. I'm judging us on what we've had available and I still don't think it's been anywhere near good enough. But not only are they beating us, I also see managers that have or number. They out think Ten Hag, they make adjustments that swing games and he doesn't have answers.
The style of play really has to improve that’s for sure, I have no issue with that critique of ETH. For what it’s worth I don’t think your wrong at all, we just find ourselves at different ends of the spectrum.

I see alot of reasons as to why we’re looking so incoherent, reasons that have already been covered on here a hundred times so I don’t feel the need to go into them again.

Right now we’re in the fecking ditch and so everything ETH is doing and has done gets viewed through a different lens than previously. But there’s nothing he hasn’t proved in my eyes that the likes of Amorim, Tuchel, Nagelsmann or whoever would suddenly fix.

What the hell would they do with a Dalot-Evans-Varane-AWB defence which is somehow apparently one of the most consistant defensive constellations we’ve put out this year?

It’s been turd sandwhich after turd sandwich since ETH came in. I don’t think the conditions at the club were primed for success and he’s not really had the peace to really implement his ideas. I mean, when games are coming thick and fast you’re picking between Wout Weghorst and Sabitzer as a false nine or Amrabat and Lindelöf for LB then yeah, I guess you are going to make mistakes, tinkering and overthinking only to get something resembling a working unit.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm just not having the injuries excuse for being as bad as we are. Yes they are a factor (I've said enough so myself in the past) but with a decent system they should be the difference between us being a good team and a very good team, not a poor team and an average one.
Can you point out where we pointed to injuries as an excuse in the games you mentioned?

The Hilton

You already committed to it when you initially loaned the player. If what we are talking about is accurate then we are talking about a 12 months loan that can be cancelled midseason, we are not talking about a 6 months loan that can be extended, the distinction is important because it means that the club planned to pay for 12 months and maybe shorten it if everything goes perfectly.

That assumption is based on the idea that we triggered a clause to end the contract.
There isn't any distinction at all in practical terms, it was a season long loan with a mid season break clause, which the club always intended on activating if Shaw or Malacia were back, which one was and the other was expected to be as per the medical team.

Honestly trying to blame ETH for listening to the medical team is a new low in terms of the sanity of criticisms in this thread.

Widow

I find it hard to believe. Scouts are there to provide reports on players, they can recommend against signing someone but at the end of the day it's up to the people in charge and as we know the manager at United has the power to veto a transfer.
Until recently I would have agreed but I can't see why Ole would make it up.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Until recently I would have agreed but I can't see why Ole would make it up.
Maybe by scouts he referred to head scouts Lawler and Bout? Unsure on their level of influence

Roane

There isn't any distinction at all in practical terms, it was a season long loan with a mid season break clause, which the club always intended on activating if Shaw or Malacia were back, which one was and the other was expected to be as per the medical team.

Honestly trying to blame ETH for listening to the medical team is a new low in terms of the sanity of criticisms in this thread.
If you guys are talking about the Reguilon loan then he himself has said it was only a 6 month loan.

Chumpsbechumps

I'm just not having the injuries excuse for being as bad as we are. Yes they are a factor (I've said enough so myself in the past) but with a decent system they should be the difference between us being a good team and a very good team, not a poor team and an average one.
I agree that we’ve been bad and performances have been shocking. We differ in that I don’t know how all the other stuff has played a Role. You are taking the view that it shouldn’t mean we can’t still meet certain standards. I don’t know how reasonable or fair that is because there were more than savage injuries at the club.

- history of over spending on players which continued under ETH , not his fault
- history of extending contracts of players who nobody wanted to or shouldn’t be here
- poor squad balance which is the clubs fault , no striker or Weghorst level alternative offered
- huge drama with at least 5 senior players in the space of 15 months , I include Rashford who nobody is blaming on ETH
- club sale - leaving everybody in limbo as to the future of the club and the manager
- injuries that quite frankly none of you factor in properly. Not one of you have done any meaningful research to try and explain how our injuries are no worse then anybody else.

All these things have destabilised plans and surely affected team morale. The question is to what degree. Maybe not enough to explain the season but they definitely played a role that any manager would struggle to navigate.

Our best form was after Ronaldo left and the team focused on football. We could build momentum and then we ran out of steam after league cup. All in all , after the season before , it was a good season.

From the off this season things haven’t been right. We looked as off as Liverpool did last season (the season after they played as many games as us). Then we had loads of injuries ti improving players , didn’t have a striker and Anthony , Greenwood , Sancho and even Rashford issues.

So I find this “everybody has injuries” statement a bad faith comment cause it’s not just injuries and not all injuries are the same. It’s everything that’s happened. Maybe a world class manager would somehow make it all work while the chaos has been going on but we just don’t know because we haven’t seen any manager have to navigate as many issues in such a short period of time.

How many sex scandals or players on the piss or lazy players or Pierce Morgan interviews have Ange had to manage at spurs? When Kane left how did Ange manage with only weghorst or a half fit youngster from serie A? How safe did Ange feel when spurs were put up for sale 5 months after he hired and what did his squad think about their futures?

United players/managers are expected to compete near or at the top and they are having to do so in the most dysfunctional set of circumstances. It’s hard enough to play well when you have a consistently starting squad that’s getting tired but we can’t even get to that point.

You can only see this as a defence of ETH because you don’t see the bigger picture. These are conditions our managers are having to work in that make it harder for our teams , regardless of who the manager is. Throw in Pep to that sh*t show and maybe we play better football and do better but we still don’t win anything. That’s just not good enough.

Stop banging on about ETH. He is not as important as what INEOs will hopefully do. If they set the structure right , to elite levels, then the ETH situation will take care of itself, which will be either him being gone or kept on (if INEOs (feel it makes sense).

Last edited:

Chumpsbechumps

Have to say prior to listening to likes of Rooney and Ole I would probably have been in the other fellas camp.

Now however I think we are a more than broken as a club. No manager will get us going forward until we fix club structure and player mentality
That’s why I’m more focused on INEOs than ETH. I used to always argue with a mate of mine that if I took over United I’d just find out what Pool/city are doing right and just poach all the best ideas/people and make it work. It’s pretty much what they seem to be doing. It’s gonna take time and they will make mistakes but im more optimistic.

Keep the faith brother …..

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Can you point out where we pointed to injuries as an excuse in the games you mentioned?
I never said you did, but check your posts the day we lost to Bournemouth (9th December).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I never said you did, but check your posts the day we lost to Bournemouth (9th December).
Yeah, I recall thinking we actually didn't play that badly. We handled their Crosses terribly and missed Varane. Ten hag dropped Varane if I'm not mistaken so that games on him.

Chumpsbechumps

I get where you are coming from but this viewpoint is a bit misguided. Nearly all clubs including top clubs often makes poor managerial appointment, the actual difference between the competent and incompetent clubs is the ability to admit your mistakes and fix them quickly instead of doubling done or being paralyzed by failure.
But if the club’s incompetent through and through , how can any manager succeed and meet elite level targets in a club that’s nowhere near elite level run?

And don’t give me “well we could at least play decent football”, that’s not good enough. If we were doing that people would be complaining that we aren’t even close to competing. The club isn’t setup to succeed, so when things start going wrong we fall badly , just like league winning teams whose form collapses the season after winning a league. Negative momentum and loss in form can cripple a team.

This happens to all United managers because the club throws money at the problem without fixing the underlying issues. They are expected to challange for the league “cause 400 million spent” in an environment that a mid table club wouldn’t be happy with. Our club doesn’t help managers , it undermines them, particularly with awful squad balances and pathetic loan alternatives.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

I didn't blame ETH. I explicitly stated that the responsibles are either the Murtough, the owners, ETH or the all of them. And not the medical staff which was the point made initially.

Chumpsbechumps

The style of play really has to improve that’s for sure, I have no issue with that critique of ETH. For what it’s worth I don’t think your wrong at all, we just find ourselves at different ends of the spectrum.

I see alot of reasons as to why we’re looking so incoherent, reasons that have already been covered on here a hundred times so I don’t feel the need to go into them again.

Right now we’re in the fecking ditch and so everything ETH is doing and has done gets viewed through a different lens than previously. But there’s nothing he hasn’t proved in my eyes that the likes of Amorim, Tuchel, Nagelsmann or whoever would suddenly fix.

What the hell would they do with a Dalot-Evans-Varane-AWB defence which is somehow apparently one of the most consistant defensive constellations we’ve put out this year?

It’s been turd sandwhich after turd sandwich since ETH came in. I don’t think the conditions at the club were primed for success and he’s not really had the peace to really implement his ideas. I mean, when games are coming thick and fast you’re picking between Wout Weghorst and Sabitzer as a false nine or Amrabat and Lindelöf for LB then yeah, I guess you are going to make mistakes, tinkering and overthinking only to get something resembling a working unit.
Agreed, that’s how I feel.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yes but I’ll stop watching football cold turkey before I have the slightest inclination to impress anyone that hurls insults at the manager of the club they support. League 2 managers shite more knowledge of football than well ever have, so what’s hilarious to me is the tactical critiques offered up in this thread. Whoever called ETH a knobhead wouldnt even begin to understand a detailed explanation of his tactics if he drew it with crayons to dumb it down.
Yes. :lol: If you don’t think the average person is intelligent enough to recognise and critique tactics, then close your account on the forum. By the sounds of it they’ll have you on Monday Night Football soon, you’ll be able to tell Carragher he doesn’t know anything about Ten Hag’s system either! I agree people shouldn’t hurl insults at our manager or players, but it is definitely possible to understand what we’re trying to do tactically and to decide for ourselves if this system is suited to the Premier League.

Eddy_JukeZ

Manchester United is 6th, 19 points off the top, with 11 league losses and a goal difference of -2 in March.

Manchester United finished last in a CL group that included Copenhagen and Galatasaray with a goal difference of -3.
The mere fact that people will defend this kind of abomination shows how far standards have fallen here.

I truly hope INEOS completely change the mindset going forward.

The fanbase has immensely high standards for the players, but not for the managers post-SAF.

Robbie Boy

Just on this note, and others have said similar over the pages on here , have any of you folk been listening to the likes of the Ole and Rooney on podcasts?

That's just two recent ones but there have been others.

This is just my opinion but the managers appear to have had anything but an easy ride.

Yes they have signed players for big money but how do you get over what Rooney said, as in players didn't want Moyes? Or Ole saying players gave up and didn't even want to come out for a half of football?
I think the club has been run absolutely terribly since Fergie left. In fact, Fergie was merely papering over the huge cracks during his later years.

I have absolutely no doubt that there are numerous unprofessional players within the ranks, and this has been a theme for a long time now. Managers have certainly faced internal issues with players etc. there's no doubt about that.

However, our managers have also been part of the issue due to poor recruitment and not successfully implementing a positive culture. Maybe the barriers they faced were too much, and let's hope that INEOS can turn things around in that respect. From the perspective of fan and Board patience though; I feel that managers have been afforded far too much leeway. Pretty much every post-Fergie appointment should have been binned off before they eventually were.

Eddy_JukeZ

I think the club has been run absolutely terribly since Fergie left. In fact, Fergie was merely papering over the huge cracks during his later years.

I have absolutely no doubt that there are numerous unprofessional players within the ranks, and this has been a theme for a long time now. Managers have certainly faced internal issues with players etc. there's no doubt about that.

However, our managers have also been part of the issue due to poor recruitment and not successfully implementing a positive culture. Maybe the barriers they faced were too much, and let's hope that INEOS can turn things around in that respect. From the perspective of fan and Board patience though; I feel that managers have been afforded far too much leeway. Pretty much every post-Fergie appointment should have been binned off before they eventually were.
Sums it up well.

There's definitely loads of problems at this club. But the managers hired themselves have also been problems. The fact that none of them managed a top club after United is indicative that they weren't top quality(Mourinho way past his prime doesn't count as top quality). Each manager hired had a clear ceiling of top 4 and lows that were abysmal.

Eddy_JukeZ

Stop with the hyperbole. ten Hag finished 3rd, won a trophy and reached the FA Cup final. Moyes took a title winning team to 7th.
Ten Hag's management this season is worse than Moyes' season. Our attacking/defensive metrics are terrible for a club of this size(and the talent we have) and we couldn't even make it out of the CL group stages. That said, I will agree his management last season was clearly far better than what Moyes achieved.

And I truly don't think that title winning team has more individual quality than our team now(it's debatable either way IMO). SAF heavily papered over a lot of cracks for our squad then.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Anything but a win today would really put pressure on him. I’m surprised we haven’t really had many reports claiming he’s under fire have we?

Matt851

But if the club’s incompetent through and through , how can any manager succeed and meet elite level targets in a club that’s nowhere near elite level run?

And don’t give me “well we could at least play decent football”, that’s not good enough. If we were doing that people would be complaining that we aren’t even close to competing. The club isn’t setup to succeed, so when things start going wrong we fall badly , just like league winning teams whose form collapses the season after winning a league. Negative momentum and loss in form can cripple a team.

This happens to all United managers because the club throws money at the problem without fixing the underlying issues. They are expected to challange for the league “cause 400 million spent” in an environment that a mid table club wouldn’t be happy with. Our club doesn’t help managers , it undermines them, particularly with awful squad balances and pathetic loan alternatives.
So you are basically just saying there is nothing the manager could do to improve things. No one doubts its a challenging role but regularly look entirely uncoached and consistently exhibit the same tactical flaws over the best part of a year. Its not asking much to expect him to identify the flaws and do something to address them

You mention all our managers post fergie have struggled and obviously a big part of that is the structure but that has also led to us hiring managers that weren't suited to the job

The fact is ten hag has had more influence over transfers than any manager post fergie and his inadequacies on this front have led to the squad being weaker. For example we could have signed a back up striker or ball playing centre back / left back with the money used on his priority signing (mount) who is injured again after being injured for much of the previous year

JPRouve

Scout

Exactly. For most of us the idea isn't that the manager and in this case ETH is the only issue(he quite obviously isn't), it isn't to say that the players or executives are perfect but simply that the managers are in large part as flawed as the aforementioned groups. And to be perfectly clear, my criticism is more aimed at executives and fans who are being slow when it comes to accepting the idea of moving on, the same is true for our handling of players, we are too slow to move them on, we wait until we reach a point where their reputations and values have plummeted.

Matt851

Anything but a win today would really put pressure on him. I’m surprised we haven’t really had many reports claiming he’s under fire have we?
Many of our fans appear to have lost the plot and are swallowing his line about being unable to do anything with all the injuries

JPRouve

Scout
So you are basically just saying there is nothing the manager could do to improve things. No one doubts its a challenging role but regularly look entirely uncoached and consistently exhibit the same tactical flaws over the best part of a year. Its not asking much to expect him to identify the flaws and do something to address them

You mention all our managers post fergie have struggled and obviously a big part of that is the structure but that has also led to us hiring managers that weren't suited to the job

The fact is ten hag has had more influence over transfers than any manager post fergie and his inadequacies on this front have led to the squad being weaker. For example we could have signed a back up striker or ball playing centre back / left back with the money used on his priority signing (mount) who is injured again after being injured for much of the previous year
It's unfair to revisit the transfer of a player that had an unexpected string of big injuries. But your point stands if we are talking about the prices of Onana, Lisandro Martinez or Antony who were all priorities for the manager. None of these players are good deals, I like Onana and Martinez but I do think that we paid a premium simply because they were wanted by the manager.

Jeffthered

So Ten Hag has confirmed he was told he’d have both his LBs available by the medical staff.

Now imagine you’re a manager and you get told by qualified professionals that something is going to be the case. Do you against medical advice completely ignore them and keep an extra player?
You see this is ETH. First thing is, he did not have to make this statement, it just adds to the sense of confusion around his management team. Second thing is, Luke Shaw was playing until quite recently.. Malacia is clearly long-term. ETH needs to get a grip, and manage things... manage his players, manage his backroom staff, manage himself with the PR side of things.

Everything is an excuse, bad luck, someone else's fault, the player's didn't do something etc, etc.

He needs a result today.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
ETH hasn't got to grips with this job. It's too much for him. His confusion is evident in our lack of a playing style, still after 20 months. That's inexcusable.
You wrongly believe Ten Hag is a casualty of a broken club because you cling on blindly to the belief he's something he isn't, instead of understanding Ten Hag is another poor managerial appointment by an incompetent club. He's another Moyes
Personally I see signs of progress. What his detractors miss is the huge scale of the disease in the club. Asking one man to fix that in 12 months is not sensible. Getting rid is like a cancer patient refusing chemo and surgery because holistic herbs don't make them sick.

AndySmith1990

I get where you are coming from but this viewpoint is a bit misguided. Nearly all clubs including top clubs often makes poor managerial appointment, the actual difference between the competent and incompetent clubs is the ability to admit your mistakes and fix them quickly instead of doubling done or being paralyzed by failure.
I'm completely in favour of admitting our mistakes quickly and moving on from players and managers when it becomes clear they aren't meeting standards. I can't stand the rationale of those who argue we give a manager 2-3 years, no questions asked. It's a moronic way of running a football club

Unam333

You see this is ETH. First thing is, he did not have to make this statement, it just adds to the sense of confusion around his management team. Second thing is, Luke Shaw was playing until quite recently.. Malacia is clearly long-term. ETH needs to get a grip, and manage things... manage his players, manage his backroom staff, manage himself with the PR side of things.

Everything is an excuse, bad luck, someone else's fault, the player's didn't do something etc, etc.

He needs a result today.

It creates a sense of confusion among the fanbase. Just look at the threads onthe Caf. People on here are just plain guessing and sometimes making up stories about United.
Ten Hag needs to address it.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
What I like about him is that he has shown an ability to make players better, especially young players.

Dalot, Mainoo, AWB, Hojlund, Garnacho, McT, even Rashford last season.

Of course there are failures too and these things don't happen in a straight line. But name one player Moyes made better. Or Jose. Or Ole.

crossy1686

career ending
Personally I see signs of progress. What his detractors miss is the huge scale of the disease in the club. Asking one man to fix that in 12 months is not sensible. Getting rid is like a cancer patient refusing chemo and surgery because holistic herbs don't make them sick.
This nonsense again...

If you needed a perfect backroom and board to win anything or play decent football then Klopp wouldn't never have won anything, same applies to SAF who managed the team under the current/old board. The sooner you realise that quality managers do well regardless of who's holding them back the better.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I want to see ETH gone but it would be unreasonable to say he deserves the sack after this season - our injuries are an absolute joke. If anything, the fitness and recovery team should be shown the door after our scouting department.

Matt851

It's unfair to revisit the transfer of a player that had an unexpected string of big injuries. But your point stands if we are talking about the prices of Onana, Lisandro Martinez or Antony who were all priorities for the manager. None of these players are good deals, I like Onana and Martinez but I do think that we paid a premium simply because they were wanted by the manager.
Who do you mean? If mount we signed him after he had a period of injuries so perhaps not suprising he is still struggling. Agree on Antony and onana but think martinsz was reasonable value before the injuries

hobbers

I want to see ETH gone but it would be unreasonable to say he deserves the sack after this season - our injuries are an absolute joke. If anything, the fitness and recovery team should be shown the door after our scouting department.
1-3 Brighton
0-2 Spurs
0-1 Palace
2-3 Galatasary
0-3 Newcastle
3-4 Copenhagen
3-3 Galatasary
0-1 Newcastle
0-3 Bournemouth
0-2 West Ham
1-2 Forest
1-2 Fulham

Note that I havent even included the games we were expected to lose.

Unreasonable?

irishred1980

Get this absolute clown out of the club.
He has actively managed to make us the poorest football playing team in the league.
His 'system' is genius in the sense that every other system outplays it.
Our wins are purely down to player talent which has not been replenished well in recent years.
No other club of this size would put up with it.
Fans that believe he should get more time are clearly deluded.
Closest i have ever come to switching games off this season

Last edited:

CM

People used to get on Ole's back about 'vibes' football. This chaos is way worse than anything we produced back then

Malone_Post

So Ten Hag has confirmed he was told he’d have both his LBs available by the medical staff.

Now imagine you’re a manager and you get told by qualified professionals that something is going to be the case. Do you against medical advice completely ignore them and keep an extra player?
Does ETH not have a mind of his own then?

Anyone with half a brain cell could have told you that Shaw constantly has injury problems & relying on Malacia not to have anymore setbacks after two knee operations in the space of six months was a massive risk.

As usual with ETH it’s everyone else’s fault. He’s in self preservation mode and looking for excuses at every turn.