Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 658 44.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 809 55.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

erikcred

But shouldn't you be asking why we weren't able to protect ten hag from himself in making sole decisions in transfers?
Fair point. But if you're asking who's at fault for giving the monkey a machine gun, no one comes out of this well.

I can only imagine how Liverpool would be if they asked Klopp to do it all, for starters they would have brought Brandt or Pulisic over Salah.
No one actually knows. He got a champions league and league title out of a midfield with Milner and Henderson as key players. His track record from Dortmund and Liverpool suggests that Klopp is more likely than not to do well with these other players.

NLunited

Yes, ten Hag should have been saved from himself. However, he's just as culpable because it was him who wanted this level of power and responsibility. Recruitment aside, ten Hag should be a good enough coach to implement a dominant style of play, rather than this eternal game of 'you have a go - we have a go'.
The goal is definitely a dominant style of play, by pressing, pro-active defending and attacking with speed.

However, dominating possession on its own means absolutely nothing. Have you not learned anything from the Louis van Gaal years?

With our current squad and injuries, we cannot play dominant with either style.

We need to keep building not tear it all up again. There is a huge improvement in effort since Ten Hag got here, the team discipline is way better.

What needs to improve is the squad: Casemiro, Eriksen, Varane, Maguire, Evans all need replacing with fitter younger players. Until then, you won‘t see us putting teams with their backs against the wall.

lex talionis

Ralf was right, but here are now dealing with the same problems since Moyes.

We do need an upgrade from ETH but it’s not clear anyone worth bringing in is available. Maybe there is, and if there is then that needs to happen on Monday not in June or July.

GlasgowCeltic

Reports coming out tonight that he could walk away in the summer if he doesn’t get control of certain aspects of the club. Can see a big managerial merry go round in the summer. Ajax would take ETH back and Dortmund may be interested… he’ll get another decent job whether he’s sacked or walks away.
he’ll get a decent job but he’s never managing at the elite level again

red.knight

ETH's inherited a massively lousy squad that he's spent the bulk of his time building up along with dealing with their off the field nonsense. Not to mention being stuck in a club where the owners couldn't make up their minds about a sale, no sale. The amount of instability that he's had to navigate and still has managed to keep us in with a shout of finishing inside the top four of the PL table. Now here we are sitting in 6th. Keep ETH’s name out of your mouths before I call Will Smith.

Rista

I don't get how can people watch us play and put everything down to injuries. We're just a chore to watch and there is zero indication anything is going to change. We didn't really play that well during that mini run nor did we play exceptionally bad against Fulham. It's just the same old with variance thrown in. If people are really suggesting there is nothing ETH can do then the position of a manager is useless and mostly formal. In which case sticking with OGS might have been the better move. I guess the way the new people in charge deal with the manager situation will tell us what to expect in the future.

red.knight

I don't get how can people watch us play and put everything down to injuries. We're just a chore to watch and there is zero indication anything is going to change. We didn't really play that well during that mini run nor did we play exceptionally bad against Fulham. It's just the same old with variance thrown in. If people are really suggesting there is nothing ETH can do then the position of a manager is useless and mostly formal. In which case sticking with OGS might have been the better move. I guess the way the new people in charge deal with the manager situation will tell us what to expect in the future.
The amount of injuries he has had to deal with is not natural. 16 first-team players being injured or unavailable for periods since the start of the season. That’s two-thirds of the squad and means that Erik has not been able to pick his strongest XI once this season. Add to that the amount of issues he's had to deal with. Sancho, Greenwood, Ronaldo. Is not typical of any manager, anywhere.

Jaae

Not ITK
Some people have lost sight of why ETH was originally hired. If we wanted top 4 battles whilst playing transition football we might as well have just kept Ole as manager.

Ten Hag was hired to implement a dominant style of modern attacking football, something he has singularly failed to do, and has also publicly announced he cannot do.

He has had every excuse under the sun made for him and after 20 months we are still performing poorly under his coaching. He has overseen our worst ever transfer and our worst ever PL result, breaking numerous unwanted records, whilst also displaying managerial naivety along the way. Our club should not be a practise ground for managers to learn their trade. Ten Hag is not ready for the level we want to be at and I doubt he ever will be.

Rista

The amount of injuries he has had to deal with is not natural. 16 first-team players being injured or unavailable for periods since the start of the season. That’s two-thirds of the squad and means that Erik has not been able to pick his strongest XI once this season. Add to that the amount of issues he's had to deal with. Sancho, Greenwood, Ronaldo. Is not typical of any manager, anywhere.
Most managers are not able to pick their strongest XI most of the time. The injury excuse just doesn't cut it. A drop in overall performance, yes. Playing consistently bad with very little semblance of cohesive football, no.

Malone_Post

Frankly they were the worst visitors we have had all season in the league. Gifted loads of the ball in good situations and doing next to nothing with it.
And yet they had a better open play XG, a higher pass completion rate, more passes in our half, more passes in our final 3rd and over double the amount of entries into our area. And that’s from the ‘worst visitors we’ve had all season’. Doesn’t say much for our performances does it.

If you’re trying to defend ETH here, you’re doing a terrible job. Ironically, just like he is.

Robbie Boy

I’m certainly not a Southgate fan but the team INEOS seem to be building have worked with Southgate before at England and have helped create an environment where England could make the most of what they have. You would hope that if he does come in it would be short term to improve the standards and atmosphere.
:lol:

RedStarUnited

Credit to https://www.reddit.com/u/OPchainsaw/s/p50s5qCUV5

But just look at the lack of consistency in the back line. Injuries have ruined our build up ability, which in turn ruins our midfield, which in turn blunts the attack. It’s not a surprise to me that Højlund’s goalscoring form picked up as our players came back fit (albeit briefly).

We’ve been able to play our best back line Dalot, Varane, Martinez and Shaw twice all season.
Clutching at straws here. If you see most of his goals this calendar year, its just about being in the right place at the right time. We are still to really create for him, its shocking how Bruno has no connection with him in the pitch.

Do people here watch Spurs? Their team is mostly made up of players from Conte and Jose. Yet they have a cohesion and a game plan we can only dream of.

Malone_Post

Manchester United is 6th, 19 points off the top, with 11 league losses and a goal difference of -2 in March.

Manchester United finished last in a CL group that included Copenhagen and Galatasaray with a goal difference of -3.
The mere fact that people will defend this kind of abomination shows how far standards have fallen here.

I truly hope INEOS completely change the mindset going forward.

The fanbase has immensely high standards for the players, but not for the managers post-SAF.
Yeah but lads…injuries.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Manchester United is 6th, 19 points off the top, with 11 league losses and a goal difference of -2 in March.

Manchester United finished last in a CL group that included Copenhagen and Galatasaray with a goal difference of -3.
With a shit squad, what is your point? The only thing il agree is terrible is the Champions League exit, the rest is just whinging without looking at any context.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Yeah but context. Do you really expect us to beat Bournemouth and Fulham at home? Do you expect us to outscore Luton? That's just crazy

hobbers

With a shit squad, what is your point? The only thing il agree is terrible is the Champions League exit, the rest is just whinging without looking at any context.
With a shit manager*

Stadjer

Yeah but lads…injuries.
So the injuries dont matter at all? Look at the team that has been playing, is that a team that should be amongst City, Liverpool and Arsenal? Spurs and Villa have players that would start for Manchester United even when we have a fully fit squad. Our squad really isnt that good and with injuries it becomes even worse.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Can anyone shed a light on the 5th place finish 23/24 PL and if it gives a CL ticket?

I just watched Villa vs Spurs, wich was interesting. Villa got well beaten (why oh why did we not buy Bissouma I will never know.)

Looking at the remainder program of both Villa and Spurs I reckon the latter will end with 68 points after 38 games played. Villa I think they will manage 66 out of 38.

That means we must get 22 points out of the remaining 9 games for us. I say we can kiss top 4 goodbye but if we do manage to make top 4, Ten Hag must be given a medal and half of the squad must be knighted.

Getting top 5 means Villa will need to have a very bad run and we still need an outstanding one, somewhere around 18 or 19 more points than we have now.

That said maybe we will implode bigtime and Newcastle and or Chelsea will overtake us, leaving United in a top 8 spot.

If you ask my tea leaves Id say we will end up top 6 with some good and some bad games. I hope we produce better but lets wait and see. What do you guys think?

mu4c_20le

So the injuries dont matter at all? Look at the team that has been playing, is that a team that should be amongst City, Liverpool and Arsenal? Spurs and Villa have players that would start for Manchester United even when we have a fully fit squad. Our squad really isnt that good and with injuries it becomes even worse.
They finished 3rd last year, so yeah. Only Martinez has been out. Ddg replaced by Onana.

TsuWave

Everton averages the second least amount of possession in the league. Yesterday at OT, they went 50% - 50% with United.

I wonder how much work with the ball do we do. Off the ball. Any work, at this point.

for clarification - I thought Everton was dangerous in the first half. And the second half was largely meandering - and they were shit - it’s just curious that a team that “hates” the ball everywhere else comes to OT and goes 50-50 with the hosts

stevoc

But shouldn't you be asking why we weren't able to protect ten hag from himself in making sole decisions in transfers? Ten hag wasn't asking to do that, by the way. Managers generally expect support and structure for scouting alternatives to overlay their own names. By all accounts Ten Hag reserved feck all in that department.

I can only imagine how Liverpool would be if they asked Klopp to do it all, for starters they would have brought Brandt or Pulisic over Salah.
Apparently he did want control over transfers, in fact it was reportedly one of his requirements for taking the job.

"I set requirements in advance about how I want to work," he told Dutch outlet Trouw.

"If they aren't granted, I won't do it. I am ultimately responsible and accounted for the results. I don't want to be the sole ruler, I stand for cooperation, but control in transfers is a condition for me."
https://www.espn.co.uk/football/sto...g-says-taken-man-united-job-control-transfers

As Erik says himself, he is ultimately responsible and accountable for his teams results. More so when he wanted control over selecting targets and he has obviously driving recruitment since arriving from Ajax, given the players we've signed.

In this case this isn't on the club, as I've said he's been backed to a degree few managers are.

Also you're point about the team looking worse literally happens under every coach. It's a recruitment issue not a management one.
Sorry what? Every team gets worse after 2 years under a new manager?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
"Shit squad" after spending hundreds of millions to improve the one that finished 2nd and 3rd with OGS. Not hilarious.
You mean the squad that had no striker, no DM and desperately needed a center back? Ok mate.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Apparently he did want control over transfers, in fact it was reportedly one of his requirements for taking the job.

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/sto...g-says-taken-man-united-job-control-transfers

As Erik says himself, he is ultimately responsible and accountable for his teams results. More so when he wanted control over selecting targets and he has obviously driving recruitment since arriving from Ajax, given the players we've signed.

In this case this isn't on the club, as I've said he's been backed to a degree few managers are.
You backed my point up if you read his actual quote. He did not want to be the sole ruler.

Also regarding the team looking worse every two-three years, yes. Thar has happened under every coach.

stevoc

We're not even in the top 5 clubs for most injuries this season and they weren't all injured in one go mate. Most managers go through seasons where they don't get to pick their strongest XI. People talk about United's great 1994 team, but that 1994 team only played together once.

The biggest misses this seaon have been Martinez and Shaw (we should have signed a LB in Jan given Malacia's injury). Casemiro and Eriksen were out for 6-8 weeks before Xmas. Casemiro has been in poor form and Eriksens barely been picked since he returned so it's hard to say how much either were really missed. The rest of the injuries were squad players.

Greenwood was never goin to be part of our plans, Sancho could have been brought back into the squad but given his form at Dortmund it doesn't look like he would have changed much.

stevoc

You backed my point up if you read his actual quote. He did not want to be the sole ruler.
And he isn't the sole ruler. the club still have a veto. But he's been the one picking targets as he requested.

Mate stop moving the goalposts and making Erik out to be some noble victim of curcumstance. He wanted control of transfers, he got it and he's fecked it up.

Also regarding the team looking worse every two-three years, yes. Thar has happened under every coach.
So Man City and Liverpool looked worse in 2018 2 years after they were taken over by Pep and Klopp in 2015/2016 yes?

hobbers

Bit confused here chaps, can anyone help me out?

It looks like Klopp's had to set up this Liverpool side with a dodgy CB playing left back. His second choice keeper. Two kids in his back four. 3 midfielders all new to the club who only signed in the summer. And his best forward and goalscorer not on the pitch and another top quality forward also out injured.

So how come they're going toe to toe with City? Shouldnt that be impossible?

Surely even having one centreback out should be enough of an excuse to play like gutless cowards with the tactical nous of a sunday league side.

soapythecat

Yesterdays attempt to treat Everton like a title challenger whilst playing at home has done little to change my mind. That starting11 was more than capable of playing a better brand of football than that. I appreciate we’ve had our injuries but there’s no mistaking we get outplayed pretty much every week. I’m pretty confident he’ll be gone before next season and his big non-performers will be sold too.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And he isn't the sole ruler. the club still have a veto. But he's been the one picking targets as he requested.
He hasn't requested to be the only one picking targets. Please can you literally stop making things up, it's getting quite frustrating.
Mate stop moving the goalposts and making Erik out to be some noble victim of curcumstance. He wanted control of transfers, he got it and he's fecked it up.
He wanted a veto and to be in the room for strategy. That's an element of control, it's not sole control, so again, stop making things up.
So Man City and Liverpool looked worse in 2018 2 years after they were taken over by Pep and Klopp in 2015/2016 yes?
No, they have an actual support structure for their manager. Klopp for example has a say in targets but is supported by head scouts and data science experts to overlay that with alternatives of their own, before an agreement is reached. Literally none of that happens here, we sacked our head scouts :lol:

Im saying under LVG, Jose and Ole, the squad always looked worse than two years prior. Funny how that keeps happening irrespective of coach, hey? And funny how this literally only happens at our club.

leontas

Liverpool going toe to toe with City while playing a makeshift back 4 while ETH keeps blaming injuries for his coaching deficiencies.

NLunited

We're not even in the top 5 clubs for most injuries this season and they weren't all injured in one go mate.
That is hard to believe. I‘m pretty sure we have the worst injury record out of the top 8 sides.

red.knight

Liverpool going toe to toe with City while playing a makeshift back 4 while ETH keeps blaming injuries for his coaching deficiencies.
But ten Hag is a competent coach. His work in Ajax proved it. Do you think he forget coaching now? It would take years to completely rebuild crippled United. Onana, Garnacho, Martinez, Kobbie, Hojlund. The rebuilding already started. We just another 10 new players of their caliber to compete again.

Rista

You mean the squad that had no striker, no DM and desperately needed a center back? Ok mate.
Almost as if manager with most influence on transfers could have done something to prevent that. Shit squad, shit personnel, shit owners, shit everything but manager good. Yep, that's United fans.