Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 624 44.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 770 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

TheReligion

Abusive
Like some of us have said previously, it does seem like the football departments are going to be streamlined towards a particular method of play. And like with Klopp at Liverpool, it seems EtH is going to play a major role in aligning the process. Hopefully the appointment of a head of recruitment will be a big step towards streamlining/aligning the whole setup.

This should reassure you @Nytram Shakes

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
She has become the mouthpiece of the club now.
She is now working for a paper and her job is to cover United. Similar to how she used to cover Liverpool.

Olecurls99

What are the odds, even with our new signings, that our starting 11 for the game against Brighton will be

De Gea
Dalot
Maguire
Lindelof
Shaw
Mctominay
Fred
Bruno
Sancho
Martial
Rashford?

I think there's a very high probability and it'll be interesting to see how good we are if it is.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
What are the odds, even with our new signings, that our starting 11 for the game against Brighton will be

De Gea
Dalot
Maguire
Lindelof
Shaw
Mctominay
Fred
Bruno
Sancho
Martial
Rashford?

I think there's a very high probability and it'll be interesting to see how good we are if it is.
I think Martinez would start

OpenIntrovert

He’s done well to increase the levels of playing technicality to bring in Eriksen and Martinez in, and potentially FDJ. Those three would radically change how we play games going forward. Parked buses will no longer involve praying for individual magic to bail us out when we’re completely stumped, as was the theme of the Solskjaer tenure.
It is tough to break down a compact low block or parked buses even with a defined playing style. That is why Klopp resorted to using TAA as a long ball provider to get past the shape or at times getting the forwards to dribble into spaces.

So individual "magic" will always be necessary when the opponents are too compact as they are blocking out spaces. You will certainly need the players to dribble and draw out the defenders.

OpenIntrovert

She clearly has first hand info, almost like the club directly feeds her information.
I think it is coming from the interview she did with ETH rather than the club feeding her info. There are alot of processes that are confidential in the club where the only way media can get their info is via interview, press conferences or statements made for critical matters.

TheReligion

Abusive

De Gea
Dalot
Maguire
Lindelof
Shaw
Mctominay
Fred
Bruno
Sancho
Martial
Rashford?

Low

Martinez and Eriksen start

Trex

It is tough to break down a compact low block or parked buses even with a defined playing style. That is why Klopp resorted to using TAA as a long ball provider to get past the shape or at times getting the forwards to dribble into spaces.

So individual "magic" will always be necessary when the opponents are too compact as they are blocking out spaces. You will certainly need the players to dribble and draw out the defenders.
Quick passing and interplay would be vital, that's why we need to improve the technical level of the team

OpenIntrovert

Quick passing and interplay would be vital, that's why we need to improve the technical level of the team
Quick passing can work very well if the players can find spaces. In a very compact shape where the opponent is marking each player closely and aggressively, it is not going to work very well. Look at how Mourinho stopped Barcelona in 09/10 champions league season.

Trex

Quick passing can work very well if the players can find spaces. In a very compact shape where the opponent is marking each player closely and aggressively, it is not going to work very well. Look at how Mourinho stopped Barcelona in 09/10 champions league season.
Teams sit back against City all the time, they break them down via quick exchanges, they also use dribbles especially in wide areas and the occasionally shot from distance.
We'll need all the tools.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Low

Martinez and Eriksen start
Seems doubtful, there are just 8 days training until then. I'd say it'll be Maguire with Varane or Lindelof and Mctominay in midfield. Martinez and Eriksen will be eased in, seeing as they haven't had a full pre season (especially Eriksen).

OpenIntrovert

Teams sit back against City all the time, they break them down via quick exchanges, they also use dribbles especially in wide areas and the occasionally shot from distance.
We'll need all the tools.
Exactly. So we cant rule out individual effort completely.

OpenIntrovert

They're not with the squad yet though. I can see us playing Ralf's 11 with Martial up front for the first few games.

It mightn't be pretty
We will be fine. ETH has very good understanding of the player's true positions, so he will place them in the right formation. I am more impressed with his tactical approach than his style of play.

Olecurls99

We will be fine. ETH has very good understanding of the player's true positions, so he will place them in the right formation. I am more impressed with his tactical approach than his style of play.
What will the formation be do you think? Will it be that eleven I've put up?

OpenIntrovert

Depends on the player's match fitness and the opponents we are facing.

From your 11, Shaw might be replaced with Malacia and Lindelof with Varane, otherwise the rest are about there. Formation wise it looks like he is playing a 4-1-2-3 with Sancho and Rashford acting as inverted wingers and Martial as the most advanced forward.

In midfield, Fred is the defensive midfielder while Bruno and McTominay are playing in the CM positions.

Robindinho

I wouldn't be surprised if Malacia starts, after how easily Bailey ran past Shaw. I too think Eriksen & Martinez come straight in...

De Gea

Dalot Maguire Martinez Malacia

Eriksen Fred

Sancho Bruno Rashford

Martial​

OpenIntrovert

Yes, i think people got frustrated because under Ole it was individual brilliance or the counter attack, no well worked team goal against a low/mid block.
A counter attack is actually a well worked team goal. The problem is that these fans think that there is only one way to play football and that is tiki taka style of passing in triangless.

Ole's tenure has also produced moments where the team scored after good passing such as the 3-1 victory against Tottenham in the 20/21 season and Anthony Martial goal against Wolves early in the 19/20 season. Not that many, but it also wasn't that few.

JB7

Seems doubtful, there are just 8 days training until then. I'd say it'll be Maguire with Varane or Lindelof and Mctominay in midfield. Martinez and Eriksen will be eased in, seeing as they haven't had a full pre season (especially Eriksen).
Eriksen spent a month or so training under Ten Hag last season & Martinez has spent the last three years playing for him. There is a good chance they already know his gameplan better than our lot who've been on tour anyway. Same goes for De Jong if/when that gets over the line. He's purposely gone for players that will bed straight in this summer.

Olecurls99

Depends on the player's match fitness and the opponents we are facing.

From your 11, Shaw might be replaced with Malacia and Lindelof with Varane, otherwise the rest are about there. Formation wise it looks like he is playing a 4-1-2-3 with Sancho and Rashford acting as inverted wingers and Martial as the most advanced forward.

In midfield, Fred is the defensive midfielder while Bruno and McTominay are playing in the CM positions.
So 1(Fred) sitter rather than 2 (McFred), and Mctominay played further forward.

Yeah I do think Mctominay is better further forward but I still think that midfield is press leaky. None of them are good under pressure despite who the manager is and I can see Brighton causing us trouble.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Eriksen spent a month or so training under Ten Hag last season & Martinez has spent the last three years playing for him. There is a good chance they already know his gameplan better than our lot who've been on tour anyway. Same goes for De Jong if/when that gets over the line. He's purposely gone for players that will bed straight in this summer.
That's fine, not questioning suitability to ten hag, but there's the suitability to team mates, suitability to the premier league, getting your exact role in the team (Bruno won't be benched so Eriksen would have to adapt to playing a bit deeper probably), and more than anything - getting match fitness. Training alone or separately is always different to training with the main group, and it takes time to get up to speed. I would assume the first couple of games they won't start.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Are you of a nervous and worrying nature? :lol:
Not particularly, are you of the overly trusting nature?

I personally don’t find the idea that the incoming manger who has already had to clearly identify all the targets and your now saying is having to tell the DOF ( who was apparently only hired by the previous CEO to be a DOF in name alone ) how to restructure the club very comforting.