Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 640 44.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 789 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Trex

A counter attack is actually a well worked team goal. The problem is that these fans think that there is only one way to play football and that is tiki taka style of passing in triangless.

Ole's tenure has also produced moments where the team scored after good passing such as the 3-1 victory against Tottenham in the 20/21 season and Anthony Martial goal against Wolves early in the 19/20 season. Not that many, but it also wasn't that few.
Yes there are different ways to play football, but I believe a club like Man utd with its resources should always aspire to play a front footed, discipline and coherent style, don't you?

Olecurls99

I wouldn't be surprised if Malacia starts, after how easily Bailey ran past Shaw. I too think Eriksen & Martinez come straight in...

De Gea

Dalot Maguire Martinez Malacia

Eriksen Fred

Sancho Bruno Rashford

Martial​
That looks good. I hope you're right because we need better technical players in there if we wanna outplay teams. Shaw would start for me though.

TheReligion

Abusive
Not particularly, are you of the overly trusting nature?

I personally don’t find the idea that the incoming manger who has already had to clearly identify all the targets and your now saying is having to tell the DOF ( who was apparently only hired by the previous CEO to be a DOF in name alone ) how to restructure the club very comforting.
I’m not saying it. Those reports are.

I don’t think there’s anything at all that would make you happy. Clearly a glass half empty person who would prefer to bang on about previous mistakes than focus on the clear and obvious positive changes taking place at the club.

Each to their own!

OpenIntrovert

So 1(Fred) sitter rather than 2 (McFred), and Mctominay played further forward.

Yeah I do think Mctominay is better further forward but I still think that midfield is press leaky. None of them are good under pressure despite who the manager is and I can see Brighton causing us trouble.
Yes Brighton will certainly cause us trouble. ETH approach is to get the midfield and attack to "strangle" the opposition before they can advance to the defensive half, so McTominay and Bruno will be able to perform better with Rashford and Sancho's help. Fred is not the ideal player to play as a DM, but his workrate will help for the timebeing.

Grande

She clearly has first hand info, almost like the club directly feeds her information.
I never rely on informed people for facts - they wouldn’t be informed if there wasn’t an agenda, right. I prefer to get my facts from people who clearly have no clue. (Which is why I’m here).

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust

I don’t think there’s anything at all that would make you happy. Clearly a glass half empty person who would prefer to bang on about previous mistakes than focus on the clear and obvious positive changes taking place at the club.

Each to their own!
Well you said I should feel postive about them

What obvious positives? We are in a position we’re are best option is chasing a midfielder who doesn’t look like he want to be here and currently the structure at the club is in no position to identify other targets. Reports say the DOF was hired to be a puppet and now reports say the manager is having to tell him how the structure should work. I don’t find that very positive I don’t really understand why I would?

There are definitely positives in other aspects of the club, like we have finally got a coach who can train and develop players and trains attacking football. Arnold seems to have his head screwed on going by his interviews. Those are massive positives that I’m delighted with. But in terms of the way our club conducts its recruitment I don’t see any positives currently.

Trex

I never rely on informed people for facts - they wouldn’t be informed if there wasn’t an agenda, right. I prefer to get my facts from people who clearly have no clue. (Which is why I’m here).
I don't understand what you mean.

Olecurls99

Yes Brighton will certainly cause us trouble. ETH approach is to get the midfield and attack to "strangle" the opposition before they can advance to the defensive half, so McTominay and Bruno will be able to perform better with Rashford and Sancho's help. Fred is not the ideal player to play as a DM, but his workrate will help for the timebeing.
They are definitely a hard working trio. No doubt about that. I could see us creating chances from a high press but do see us prone to the same thing in our half with Bruno McFred

Last edited:

Revaulx

"Cultural reset".
Woodward and Ole were frauds masquerading as competent people.
When did Woodward ever masquerade as a competent person?

Ole had some of the right ideas; he called the players out for their poor fitness at the end of his first season. Sadly, he lacked the gravitas to be able to fix it.

Trex

They are definitely a hard working trio. No doubt about that. I could see us creating chances from a high press but do see us prone to the same thing in our half with that Bruno McFred
I actually rate our chances against Brighton, their style will leave more space for our forwards, we'll need to break their press consistently though and keep up our own pressing for the majority of the game because they'll keep attempting to play throughout the game. If we can do that then our attack will do the damage against them.

JB7

That's fine, not questioning suitability to ten hag, but there's the suitability to team mates, suitability to the premier league, getting your exact role in the team (Bruno won't be benched so Eriksen would have to adapt to playing a bit deeper probably), and more than anything - getting match fitness. Training alone or separately is always different to training with the main group, and it takes time to get up to speed. I would assume the first couple of games they won't start.
Martinez is coming in to play. I've no doubts whatsoever that as long as he is registered before the Brighton game, he will play. Same for De Jong. Eriksen I appreciate may be slightly different but he's likely to have a full week, if not longer, of training prior to the game so I wouldn't be surprised with him starting though I do think it's less likely than the others.

TheReligion

Abusive
Well you said I should feel postive about them

What obvious positives? We are in a position we’re are best option is chasing a midfielder who doesn’t look like he want to be here and currently the structure at the club is in no position to identify other targets. Reports say the DOF was hired to be a puppet and now reports say the manager is having to tell him how the structure should work. I don’t find that very positive I don’t really understand why I would?

There are definitely positives in other aspects of the club, like we have finally got a coach who can train and develop players and trains attacking football. Arnold seems to have his head screwed on going by his interviews. Those are massive positives that I’m delighted with. But in terms of the way our club conducts its recruitment I don’t see any positives currently.
I said reassured. The issues will take time to iron out but they are being identified and changes made. Perhaps you’re impatient but to me it doesn’t matter if it takes time as long as the right changes are being made.

Would sooner look forward to positive change than look back and moan about things we all know were bad.

dubplate warrior

Ignore them, they have selective memory disorder. Thankfully, the actual fans who come to the stadium have recognized Ole's contributions as compared to these "fans".
So annoying, I used to go OT and could see past the sentiment, knowing that it was obvious Ole was shit. Drop the holier than thou fan act. Applauding Ole at full time 0-5 down to Liverpool doesn't make you a better fan, don't speak for 70000 people and don't knock other opinions.

OpenIntrovert

So annoying, I used to go OT and could see past the sentiment, knowing that it was obvious Ole was shit. Drop the holier than thou fan act. Applauding Ole at full time 0-5 down to Liverpool doesn't make you a better fan, don't speak for 70000 people and don't knock other opinions.
I dont speak for 70,000 people but i know i heard the stadium singing ThankYouOle after he left. Obviously not all of them have supported Ole but they do recognize his contributions, unlike most here who think he did nothing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Each to their own!
I agree.

To have a fully functional structure on the footballing side of the club, you need input from the head coach. And we have seen that at Liverpool, where I've mentioned (numerous times) how Klopp has restructured the setup at Liverpool with the aid of Michael Edwards, who was much maligned and ridiculed at the time. And the difference was, that Liverpool hired Klopp as the manager but he saw himself as the head coach and went about aligning and streamlining the whole process on the football side of the club and made the decision to promote Edwards as the DoF who was unpopular with the Liverpool fans at the time. And most of the signings Klopp made in his first foray into the transfer window in the summer of 2016, were either players from Germany or had been schooled at one of the Red Bull clubs, and were in-tune with his heavy metal approach to the game.

And the difference between our clubs in England and our European counterparts, is that they've had a DoF/head coach model for many many years. And we're still at the early stages and it's absolutely imperative for the head coach and DoF to come together to align/streamline and tweak the whole setup towards a shared a goal. So what I see posted on here often, is that many can't make the distinction between the head of recruitment and the DoF, and think it's the same role when there's a big difference.

I think it's important to understand what a modern day structure is on the football side of the club before passing judgement. So the positions below the DoF, who head the recruitment department should be understood and not confused with the remit of the DoF.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Eriksen spent a month or so training under Ten Hag last season & Martinez has spent the last three years playing for him. There is a good chance they already know his gameplan better than our lot who've been on tour anyway. Same goes for De Jong if/when that gets over the line. He's purposely gone for players that will bed straight in this summer.
But the question is, has he done this at the expense of getting the actual best available players for those positions? Unless by some quirk of fate the best players also happen to be ones he’s worked with, then it seems he’s sacrificing quality for familiarity.
It might well work, but it’s a risk, just like buying super talented players you’ve never managed is a risk

TheReligion

Abusive
I agree.

To have a fully functional structure on the footballing side of the club, you need input from the head coach. And we have seen that at Liverpool, where I've mentioned (numerous times) how Klopp has restructured the setup at Liverpool with the aid of Michael Edwards, who was much maligned and ridiculed at the time. And the difference was, that Liverpool hired Klopp as the manager but he saw himself as the head coach and went about aligning and streamlining the whole process on the football side of the club and made the decision to promote Edwards as the DoF who was unpopular with the Liverpool fans at the time. And most of the signings Klopp made in his first foray into the transfer window in the summer of 2016, were either players from Germany or had been schooled at one of the Red Bull clubs, and were in-tune with his heavy metal approach to the game.

And the difference between our clubs in England and our European counterparts, is that they've had a DoF/head coach model for many many years. And we're still at the early stages and it's absolutely imperative for the head coach and DoF to come together to align/streamline and tweak the whole setup towards a shared a goal. So what I see posted on here often, is that many can't make the distinction between the head of recruitment and the DoF, and think it's the same role when there's a big difference.

I think it's important to understand what a modern day structure is on the football side of the club before passing judgement. So the positions below the DoF, who head the recruitment department should be understood and not confused with the remit of the DoF.
Well said my friend.

@Nytram Shakes see above

NLunited

Ole did great as an interim manager, but managing a club as big as MU was way above his abilities.

We have a competent manager now, one of the best. He is helping to establish a ‚one vision, one club‘ structure, which will be needed to have a good scouting department and a more streamlined youth academy, with smoother transitions for youth players into the team.

I think LvG tried that, but Mourinho threw everything out the window. In hindsight, he should never have succeeded LvG.

If we can succesfully implement a new structure like at Ajax, hiring managers or staff, that don‘t fit the direction the club wants to go in, will not happen.

mu4c_20le

Ole did great as an interim manager, but managing a club as big as MU was way above his abilities.

We have a competent manager now, one of the best. He is helping to establish a ‚one vision, one club‘ structure, which will be needed to have a good scouting department and a more streamlined youth academy, with smoother transitions for youth players into the team.

I think LvG tried that, but Mourinho threw everything out the window.
Agreed, though I would say he did well in his first full season. At the end of the day I'll never understand why people would hate someone for not being good enough.

And it's only fair that we give ETH the same level of trust and backing.

largelyworried

But the question is, has he done this at the expense of getting the actual best available players for those positions? Unless by some quirk of fate the best players also happen to be ones he’s worked with, then it seems he’s sacrificing quality for familiarity.
It might well work, but it’s a risk, just like buying super talented players you’ve never managed is a risk
The problem with this argument is that cannot really define "best" in a simplistic way. You could argue that the best players he can pick right now are ones that will give him a fast start because they know him, since that could define his time at the club. Or maybe, given that the dressing room is a known problem, it might be that the best player is judged on attitude rather than aptitude. Or maybe he’s worried that our team will struggle to implement his ideas, so tactical intelligence is what’s best, and so on.

marcus agrippa

It is tough to break down a compact low block or parked buses even with a defined playing style. That is why Klopp resorted to using TAA as a long ball provider to get past the shape or at times getting the forwards to dribble into spaces.

So individual "magic" will always be necessary when the opponents are too compact as they are blocking out spaces. You will certainly need the players to dribble and draw out the defenders.
Of course individual magic will often be necessary to unlock a compact defence, but it isn't the only tool, nor should you rely on it exclusively. I remember watching a coaching session which emphasized structured possession in the final third, switching the ball side to side, dropping into half-spaces, etc. And the coach said that the aim of doing all that was to wear down the opposition, and eventually provoke at least one defender to move out of position, and hopefully he'll have trained his own players to be able to see that 'solution' the second it becomes available. That's the point of those exercises: have players with the technical ability to keep the ball in tight areas, the discipline to keep doing that despite frustration, and the tactical awareness to see when a gap opens up, and go through it.

If you find yourself relying on magical moments all the time, then results will vary.

city-puma

Agreed, though I would say he did well in his first full season. At the end of the day I'll never understand why people would hate someone for not being good enough.

And it's only fair that we give ETH the same level of trust and backing.
In fact, we don’t really know if Ole is not good enough. We just know he could not win us trophies as quickly as possible. And, he failed in handling the situation last season for whatever reason. That’s why I always think he might have a ceiling but I am not sure.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Really excited he's here. Clearly a very talented manager with the right attitude and ideas. A real step in the right direction in terms of appointment, and the most forward thinking decision the club has made in years.

That said, and without wanting to dredge up debates that are taking place in countless threads already, is he being backed enough? Are we committing enough financially to ensure he is a success? I know, there is the FDJ money set aside if he chooses to come here, but is that enough? Couldn't Antony have been budgeted for too? Should we really be in a position to need to sell players in order to fill the RB slot given how atrocious we were in that position last year? And do we not have a bit of financial clout to take charge of the Ronaldo situation by bringing in another striker whether or not he leaves?

Right now, ETH is receiving less backing than any manager at the club in his first season since Moyes. That was bad then, but at least he had a title winning team at his disposal.

How much can we really expect from ETH, and are we doing enough to provide him with the necessary base?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Of course individual magic will often be necessary to unlock a compact defence, but it isn't the only tool, nor should you rely on it exclusively. I remember watching a coaching session which emphasized structured possession in the final third, switching the ball side to side, dropping into half-spaces, etc. And the coach said that the aim of doing all that was to wear down the opposition, and eventually provoke at least one defender to move out of position, and hopefully he'll have trained his own players to be able to see that 'solution' the second it becomes available. That's the point of those exercises: have players with the technical ability to keep the ball in tight areas, the discipline to keep doing that despite frustration, and the tactical awareness to see when a gap opens up, and go through it.

If you find yourself relying on magical moments all the time, then results will vary.
It's nice to have players that can provide those magical moments though...

dubplate warrior

I dont speak for 70,000 people but i know i heard the stadium singing ThankYouOle after he left. Obviously not all of them have supported Ole but they do recognize his contributions, unlike most here who think he did nothing.
As a player he is a legend, as a manager he was a disaster. I get some people are happy with being distant runners up and feel good sentiment but for those wanting good football and to compete, it was torture.

Suedesi

ten Hag must be given patience from supporters and funds from the owners to build us into a great team.

He's the only guy post-Fergie that I feel confident that could get us where we belong.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
In fact, we don’t really know if Ole is not good enough. We just know he could not win us trophies as quickly as possible. And, he failed in handling the situation last season for whatever reason. That’s why I always think he might have a ceiling but I am not sure.
Yeah, we know. Honestly we knew from the beginning. The knowledge couldn't have been more common.