Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 360 44.2%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 455 55.8%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Giggsy13

SJR and his crew clearly can make the call and it doesn’t have to be some masterstroke interim. Just anyone new to be a placeholder. There isn’t any real reason to keep him until the end of the year.
You would just complain about the interim then when they’re inevitably shite.

croadyman

Only 2 players have been ruinously shit all season and ETH is at fault for them being the second and third names on his team sheet all season when fit. (Rashford and Casemiro)
Yeah and pretty safe to say club will have no problem selling Casemiro,however I bet it's a different story due to Rashford money making ability and saviour to schoolkids image.

Winrar

That was the thought with Rangnick, how did that turn out?
I mean, although Rangnick failed, we could at the very least say we tried something different.

If we sacked ETH earlier and got in McKenna (as an example) as an interim for the season, we could've struggle just as badly or maybe we could've gotten somewhere in the CL or even top4. (although I dislike using that as a barometer for success). Right now we're just left wondering what could've been.

croadyman

Ornstein saying on NBC yesterday he hears no decision has been yet. That sounds very much like he will be here until the summer irrespective of results in next few games.

I will admit there is serious concern that a new manager gives these players who have seen off multiple managers yet another chance

spwd

Ornstein saying on NBC yesterday he hears no decision has been yet. That sounds very much like he will be here until the summer irrespective of results in next few games.

I will admit there is serious concern that a new manager gives these players who have seen off multiple managers yet another chance
That's very possible but it's also possible he won't but one thing for sure nothing is changing if we keep this fraud!
I'm genuinely gutted and surprised they've not done anything with him. So far they're making the same feck up the Glazers have with waiting too long to do something.
I genuinely thought he'd be gone after the pool game because it's not really fair on his replacement to drop him into that as his first match.

croadyman

It’s even more ridiculous when the current Head Coaches at Villa and Spurs have shown it doesn’t take 5 years to get players to compete on a football pitch.
Yeah that's exactly why I feel a new manager could give us a defined style of play much like Postecoglou and Emery has done for Spurs and Villa

Lentwood

His press conference recently was extremely worrying, saying we should have enough goals because 'Rashford and Martial'.

How many managers have those two been at least partly responsible for seeing off now? Roy Keane talks about players who will get you the sack, those two are prime examples.

Overrated, lazy, not up for the fight, inconsistent and down tools when it gets hard.

Its another red flag with EtH. Any decent football brain should be able to spot that you're going nowhere if you rely on those two delivering week in, week out

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer

That was always clear. He will be fired at the end of the season, not before

AndySmith1990

His press conference recently was extremely worrying, saying we should have enough goals because 'Rashford and Martial'.

How many managers have those two been at least partly responsible for seeing off now? Roy Keane talks about players who will get you the sack, those two are prime examples.

Overrated, lazy, not up for the fight, inconsistent and down tools when it gets hard.

Its another red flag with EtH. Any decent football brain should be able to spot that you're going nowhere if you rely on those two delivering week in, week out
He probably does realise he can't rely on them. But he comes across as a man who would rather make excuses than take responsibility and admit mistakes. The fact he stubbornly refuses to change anything highlights how he values his pride and ego above what's best for the team

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Feel like our underlying numbers are finally coming through and by the end of the season we will probably finish 9th which is kind of where we deserve to be. I think an argument can easily be made for him being the worst manager in the league right now. A United manager in his second season finishing with less than 60 points and still getting some support is just unthinkable

Marcelinho87

people keep saying this but who are “these players” only Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Dalot and Mctominay have seen beyond the last two with Dalot been out on loan part of it.

EtH has enough of his own players in this squad that have failed him without needing to blame previous players

stevoc

Mate there's only 10-11 players left who played under Solskjaer 2 years ago. Even if for some inexplicable reason Ten Hag was kept on the only players that would likely leave are Martial, Sancho and Varane. I reckon Sancho and Martial will be leaving regardless of who the manager is and let's not forget with the new structure in place and a DOF it likely won't be the managers choice on his own who stays or goes anyway. I don't understand the concern.

Who are you worried will stay?

Last edited:

Romez

Watching the Chelsea game yesterday made me think, when was the last time we deservedly beat a PL team and battered them scoring 3/4 goals to nil under ETH?

Not only that how many times have we done that during his whole tenure? Bet you can count them on one hand.

Adz_99

We're going to be terrible under Ten Hag anyway so whats the difference?

There's a small chance that an Interim manager gives us a bounce to win the FA Cup and stop embarrassing ourselves in the league.

Max_United

people keep saying this but who are “these players” only Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Dalot and Mctominay have seen beyond the last two with Dalot been out on loan part of it.

EtH has enough of his own players in this squad that have failed him without needing to blame previous players
And 3 of 5 players you mentioned (Rashford, Shaw and Dalot) were given new long-term contracts under EtH.

The narrative that there are many players who outlasted many managers and whom EtH needs (and will be happy) to get rid of before we can improve is completely made up. There are at most 1-2 players that even fit this description.

Green Army

Supports
Plymouth Argyle
In an interview with HTC yesterday, Ten Hag was talking about the v transfer plans for the Summer amid interest in Sporting Lisbons Victor Gyokeres.

“We have good plans, I think also with quality players. You see now about recruitment: (Andre) Onana is doing very well, Rasmus Hojlund, everyone is seeing his big talent and potential. (Lisandro) Martinez, everyone was hugely happy with him, and there are others.

“So the recruitment is good”.

Seems EtH has conveniently forgotten about the poor loans and transfers of Antony, Malacia, Mount, Weghorst, Sarbitzer and Amrabat?

Are you confident about the current transfer record?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Not as well as you hoped, but still better. Ole got 1.42 ppg that season, Rangnick 1.54 ppg. Not that big lift, but still an improvement.

Robbie Boy

Tried it with Ole too and it worked out superbly. It was definitely worth a try.
And therein lies the issue. Let's say we get an interim and they somehow win the FA Cup. The ridiculous clamour to "sign them up" - as happened with Ole - will begin. Thus, we might end up appointing another interim as a permanent manager, who in any other situation, likely wouldn't have been considered for the job.

Gordon S

Casemiro and Rashford are really the only two players i feel are going through the motions and just picking up the paycheck this season. All the other give me the impression of caring about performances, at least to some extent. The problems with the squad comes down to injuries, bad fits, and some not very good players.
It bothers me that he doesn’t put Casemiro and Rashford to the side when they are so clearly not ”there”. Weird choices.

Gordon's Hill

No, we didn't thrown away 2x 2 goal leads at galatassary 1x2 goal lead and a 1 goal at Copenhagen and then twice a 1 goal lead at home to gala on the back of 'individual mistakes'. It's on the back of a diabolical tactical approach. Bear in mind the only win we got was thanks to a Harry Maguire header and a last minute penalty save from Onana. It was a win we barely deserved.

Also the performance or complete lack of it at home to Bayern in a must win game against a Bayern team playing in a dead rubber when they barely got out of first gear. We never layed glove on them, never looked like laying a glove on them. We had 5 shots all game at home in a must win game.

Really the champions league campaign showed everyone Ten hags level. And that is along way from elite.

It was after the Bayern game which come of the back of the Bournemouth game that I had made my mind up about him. Nothing has changed since despite the extra time to train this group and a return of some key players from injury.

There will be more individual mistakes aswell thanks to the insane tactics because of how exposed our back line and GK is thanks to 'Hag Ball'.
100% agree. When we win (or draw) its like Ole ball, on the back of individual pieces of skill rather than good team play. And our complete lack of control or cohesion means we are always exposed and under pressure, which is when mistakes happen. its been consistent from the first game of season to yesterday's match at
And therein lies the issue. Let's say we get an interim and they somehow win the FA Cup. The ridiculous clamour to "sign them up" - as happened with Ole - will begin. Thus, we might end up appointing another interim as a permanent manager, who in any other situation, likely wouldn't have been considered for the job.
Why should it? And we now should have decision makers with the experience not to fall for the clamor. It was perhaps one of Woodward's dumbest decisions to appoint Ole on the back of Paris, and there were plenty to choose from. Our form collapsed after that in any case.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
In an interview with HTC yesterday, Ten Hag was talking about the v transfer plans for the Summer amid interest in Sporting Lisbons Victor Gyokeres.

“We have good plans, I think also with quality players. You see now about recruitment: (Andre) Onana is doing very well, Rasmus Hojlund, everyone is seeing his big talent and potential. (Lisandro) Martinez, everyone was hugely happy with him, and there are others.

Seems EtH has conveniently forgotten about the poor loans and transfers of Antony, Malacia, Mount, Weghorst, Sarbitzer and Amrabat?

That he doesn't mention Mount and Antony should be a red flag. Even the three he mentioned have been up and down with Martinez more down to injury

soapythecat

Sometimes we have to take what the managers say with a pinch of salt. Good man management shouldn’t be about throwing them under the bus but empowerment. I pretty sure he knows that isn’t the case….if he does, then he defo needs the sack.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Rashford saved ten Hag and the season just last campaign, so it is easy to see why ten Hag would have a dependency.

What it does show, as an extrapolation over his tenure is an over reliance on magic rather than cohesion, if you have a star boy winning you games no matter how poorly you look as a team, a lot of pressure is alleviated and you can sell your gameplan to more folk than if things go south and then the underlying fsctors and inner workings of your football is put under the microscope.

When we truly examine ten Hag's rein, we've never looked above average in terms of final 3rd play, in fact most of what we have seen is poorly played out improvisation. Once in a while there'll be individual moments of magic, but our team goals and multiple pass set ups to lead to chances is atrocious. We play wild hero vertical ball that often sees us lose the ball or try to force a shot in a short period of time - other sides put their foot on the ball, take their time and carve out really clear chances whilst we persist with crash, bang, wallop half chances that look forced or ill-considered. It's reflected in the amount of good games that can be counted from us over the last year (literally) as opposed to all the scrappy wins off of haphazard goals and football as a whole.

The big difference for ten Hag between last campaign"s single point failure issue and this season is that ten Hag could be excused for the attackers at his disposal, but really, if Rashford hadn't been a talisman last season, our attacking game under ten Hag would be truly dreadful extrapolated over his two seasons here.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

It didn't even work out as well as some on here (like to) remember. We were sitting on 6th place when Solskjaer took over and, in the end, we finished in the same place, just reducing the distance for the CL from 11 to 5 points after 21 games. Half of the posters on here were begging Woodward not to offer him the permanent gig.

Generally, i don't see a problem with an interim as long as there's a plan in place (which is the hope with INEOS) and a strong core of leaders. After all, what's the point in appointing the best in class for several executive positions, if you're your decisions are ultimately going to be based on sentiment and whatever bull (the likes of) Rio and Gary are spouting on their podcasts.

But it has to be said that this "shake to the system" usually works with teams that have a proven track record and a dressing room filled with big personalities. It's not about picking a side, as some make it, since the manager is the easiest person to replace. It's also about asking the players to step up and be held accountable. We haven't seen that at United. Not to the desired degree, anyway.

Ace of Spades

The lazy player narratives needs to be buried. No one else apart from maybe Rashford is being lazy. And no one is stubbornly playing him apart from ETH himself, no matter his performances.

ETH has neither the results nor performances to use as a reason to keep faith in him. He has failed, time to move on.

Robbie Boy

It didn't even work out as well as some on here (like to) remember. We were sitting on 6th place when Solskjaer took over and, in the end, we finished in the same place, just reducing the distance for the CL from 11 to 5 points after 21 games. Half of the posters on here were begging Woodward not to offer him the permanent gig.

Generally, i don't see a problem with an interim as long as there's a plan in place (which is the hope with INEOS) and a strong core of leaders. After all, what's the point in appointing the best in class for several executive positions, if you're your decisions are ultimately going to be based on sentiment and whatever bull (the likes of) Rio and Gary are spouting on their podcasts.

But it has to be said that this "shake to the system" usually works with teams that have a proven track record and a dressing room filled with big personalities. It's not about picking a side, as some make it, since the manager is the easiest person to replace. It's also about asking the players to step up and be held accountable. We haven't seen that at United. Not to the desired degree, anyway.
Aye, there's some serious revisionism about his interim spell. It was fun, but he never should have been offered the full-time gig. It was cop out from Woodward. However, it certainly helped heal the wounds from Jose's toxic last few months and at least football became enjoyable again.

I think an interim is a viable option if it's midway through the season. I'm not a big fan of interims in general, though. However, we're now into mid-April, and I think it's pointless at this stage, in all honesty. I would rather we bide our time, wait until the summer when hopefully we have some people in key areas, and choose our next man.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

Why should it? And we now should have decision makers with the experience not to fall for the clamor. It was perhaps one of Woodward's dumbest decisions to appoint Ole on the back of Paris, and there were plenty to choose from. Our form collapsed after that in any case.
Yes, I agree.

But we have far too many soppy sentimental fans who would be worshipping an interim if they won the FA Cup, and be clamoring for us to give them the gig. It just creates an awkward situation.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

Nothing he says or does makes sense at this stage. I think everybody has given up on both calling out his bullshit or trying to defending him.

EDIT: apart from Millie Bobby Brown's divorce attorney, apparently.

Last edited:

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Sean Dyche just gave the result I actually expected from Ten Hags United. I am waiting for us to receive such a beating. But we did give that one billion team a good fight, didn't we? And Palmer really is something else.

Onwards and up, I expect a 6 nil beating of Coventry this coming sunday. Then with a good run maybe INEOS can extend Ten Hags contract and create some stability.

Rashford saved ten Hag and the season just last campaign, so it is easy to see why ten Hag would have a dependency.

What it does show, as an extrapolation over his tenure is an over reliance on magic rather than cohesion, if you have a star boy winning you games no matter how poorly you look as a team, a lot of pressure is alleviated and you can sell your gameplan to more folk than if things go south and then the underlying fsctors and inner workings of your football is put under the microscope.

When we truly examine ten Hag's rein, we've never looked above average in terms of final 3rd play, in fact most of what we have seen is poorly played out improvisation. Once in a while there'll be individual moments of magic, but our team goals and multiple pass set ups to lead to chances is atrocious. We play wild hero vertical ball that often sees us lose the ball or try to force a shot in a short period of time - other sides put their foot on the ball, take their time and carve out really clear chances whilst we persist with crash, bang, wallop half chances that look forced or ill-considered. It's reflected in the amount of good games that can be counted from us over the last year (literally) as opposed to all the scrappy wins off of haphazard goals and football as a whole.

The big difference for ten Hag between last campaign"s single point failure issue and this season is that ten Hag could be excused for the attackers at his disposal, but really, if Rashford hadn't been a talisman last season, our attacking game under ten Hag would be truly dreadful extrapolated over his two seasons here.
I agree. There are 2 things i really hold against Ten Hag and one of them is giving Rashford a new contract. A 375k a week contract. The other being the bad CL game management. Subbing a new attacker when we needed to shup up shop.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The lazy player narratives needs to be buried. No one else apart from maybe Rashford is being lazy. And no one is stubbornly playing him apart from ETH himself, no matter his performances.

ETH has neither the results nor performances to use as a reason to keep faith in him. He has failed, time to move on.
It drives me mad, an excuse to take focus of ETH

Zed 101

Garnacho has been one of the few highpoints of this season, ETH was roundly supported when he was singling out Sancho, but he will not get the same response if this blows up, especially given ETHs reluctance to bench other under performing players.... Garnacho is one of the latest generation of top tier talents, picking a a fight with him might just be the final straw in ETHs tenure.

I would add that I do not have a problem with lazy attackers (in defence) so long as they attack well, I hark back to the days when tracking back was unheard of, bottom line you either have a system that supports attackers not tracking back or you don't, do we need Garnacho, Rashford and Hoijlund to expend their energy defending? different times.

On a slightly different note (given the speed of our attackers) I have never understood why when defending a corner we do not leave one or two of Rashford, Hoijlund or Garnacho stood inches inside our own half, if we get the ball we can be through on goal with one pass, worst case it forces them to leave 1 or 2 players on the half way line, and is one player going to make that much difference in defence anyway given how we cannot defend?

LordSpud

Watching the Chelsea game yesterday made me think, when was the last time we deservedly beat a PL team and battered them scoring 3/4 goals to nil under ETH?

Not only that how many times have we done that during his whole tenure? Bet you can count them on one hand.
The Chelsea game was a pure anomaly. They've not battered anyone this season before the game and they won't til the end either.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Both Anthony Elanga and Andreas Pereira have more assists than anyone on our team this season. I fecking hate what a joke this management is and at least Murtough has fecked off.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

We beat West Ham and Everton 3-0 this season... though in those games, West Ham had 22 shots (to our 12) and Everton had 24 (to our 9) - so I don't think you can say we "battered" them as such.

Ultimately I think we've actually only one 3 PL games by more then a single goal (those two plus 2-0 vs Everton... which basically means Everton are really really shit) - so yeah, we're a very very long way from battering anybody.

Giggsy13

As many have said before, let Berrada, Wilcox and Ashworth make the call on the next manager. We don’t need an interim, the season is almost over. Ridiculous that so many don’t grasp that very simple point and that INEOS will not get involved in making calls on the footballing side, as it should be.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
As many have said before, let Berrada, Wilcox and Ashworth make the call on the next manager. We don’t need an interim, the season is almost over. Ridiculous that so many don’t grasp that very simple point and that INEOS will not get involved in making calls on the footballing side, as it should be.
Daddy WANT WANT WANT change now!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Sean Dyche just gave the result I actually expected from Ten Hags United. I am waiting for us to receive such a beating. But we did give that one billion team a good fight, didn't we? And Palmer really is something else.

Onwards and up, I expect a 6 nil beating of Coventry this coming sunday. Then with a good run maybe INEOS can extend Ten Hags contract and create some stability.

I agree. There are 2 things i really hold against Ten Hag and one of them is giving Rashford a new contract. A 375k a week contract. The other being the bad CL game management. Subbing a new attacker when we needed to shup up shop.
One day people will learn this isn't the managers fault, especially when the club doesn't sign top CF you have asked for, for 2 years.
Managers also do not negotiate contracts with players.

ETH has a lot to answer for, but Rashfords contract is not one of them