Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 348 43.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 453 56.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Giggsy13

Both Anthony Elanga and Andreas Pereira have more assists than anyone on our team this season. I fecking hate what a joke this management is and at least Murtough has fecked off.
Clamouring for Elanga and Pereira is a new low. They were not good enough when they were sold and it remains that way despite their form this season.

miliebrowndivorceattorney

One day people will learn this isn't the managers fault, especially when the club doesn't sign top CF you have asked for, for 2 years.
Managers also do not negotiate contracts with players.

ETH has a lot to answer for, but Rashfords contract is not one of them
I hear you - he wanted Kane for instance but even he doesn't do the financials for sure ETH decided Rashford can stay. With current FFP rules I agree someone else should make these end decisions, and inform Ten Hag what it will mean if we keep Rashford for such draconian figures. What purposes is getting Ronaldo off the wages list when we instantly start paying Rashford more money than ever. 150k tops is what he should get and that is mainly because of his good last season but structuraly he is a money pit. That has to be on ETH.

Good

Good. Not just the indiscipline, but when you get paid 10 thousands of pounds per week the least you can do is support the media, the PR image of the club, the institute. Your employer. Use social media to fight out personal conflicts with any colleague is just beyond amateuristic.

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I hear you - he wanted Kane for instance but even he doesn't do the financials for sure ETH decided Rashford can stay. With current FFP rules I agree someone else shold make these end decisions, and inform Ten Hag what it will mean if we keep Rashford for such draconian figures. What purposes is getting Ronaldo off the wages list when we instantly start paying Rashford more money than ever. 150k tops is what he should get and that is mainly because of his good last season but structuraly he is a money pit. That has to be on ETH.
Would you allow your top scorer to leave when the club can't even sign you a top striker?

Giggsy13

Yeah feels nice to have Mount and Antony instead with a 150M hole in the FFP budget.
No one knows about the FFP issues but Ratcliffe has already helped in that regard by paying off the revolving credit line. Elanga and Pereira are exactly where they belong, strange and desperate take from you.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Will be a very brave/stupid decision if INEOS do opt to stick with Ten Hag for next season. The options to replace him appear to be reducing by the week so unless they really do think Southgate or Potter (hopefully not) then it feels more likely than not that he is in charge next season. Which feels crazy considering how truly terrible we have been this season.

Shark

@NotShark
More and more i have a feeling that he is staying.
If a manager that almost loses a game every second week, along with a negative goal difference, stays at Everton or West Ham after this season I'd say the owners are already finished before they've barely begun in terms of trust. This is Manchester United.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think if RDZ goes to Barca/Liverpool we'll stick with ETH

It’s a lazy link I think. We won’t base our decision around De Zerbi’s availability.

I am still virtually certain ETH is going nowhere and will get a 3-year extension soon. Perhaps they are only waiting until we have had some decent results before we announce it and with the next three games being against Coventry, Sheffield and Burnley, this could be the time.

3-year extension, full support in the Summer to get his targets as well as get rid of players he doesn’t want in order to improve quality of our squad and assurance that he will get to finish next season regardless of results as we want him to implement his vision and strategy.

Judas

Open to offers
It’s a lazy link I think. We won’t base our decision around De Zerbi’s availability.

I am still virtually certain ETH is going nowhere and will get a 3-year extension soon. Perhaps they are only waiting until we have had some decent results before we announce it and with the next three games being against Coventry, Sheffield and Burnley, this could be the time.

3-year extension, full support in the Summer to get his targets as well as get rid of players he doesn’t want in order to improve quality of our squad and assurance that he will get to finish next season regardless of results as we want him to implement his vision and strategy.
Honestly I thought you were trolling for ages, but you genuinely believe this don't you?

miliebrowndivorceattorney

Would you allow your top scorer to leave when the club can't even sign you a top striker?

That's the whole point of @Fortitude no? Ten Hag was blinded by individual magic from Rashford. Where would ETH be without Rashfords 30 goals? You could argue they would get someone else but in general I think it's fair to say ETH got blinded and drunk of Rashford's production.

For sure that has to be the reason why he signed of on a 375k a week contract? Even if ETH wanted Rashford to stay, why for 375k a week? Why not 200k a week or something? Because he was drunk where he should be led by reason and vision. And now we are stuck with a 20 million a year wage bill from mr Rashford. I bet at the moment top 10 paid premier league players. Cole Palmer, Solanke, Ollie Watkins, none of them are on high wages. If Rashford wanted more and threatened to leave he should have been let go. Goodbye. We are rebuilding a team, not club Rashford a la CR7.

One thing I learned is that being a premier league manager, a manager of a big club like Manchested United is difficult. At United the manager needs to to do way too much. INEOS best decision imo is to take away all the transfer dealings, take the main responsibility away from the club manager. I think Ten Hag has made mistakes there, as many others here will say he did with Antony for instance (even there @Adnan wrote well about how the financials were outside of ETh''s scope or responsibility) and that Rashford aproval is going to cost us a lot.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
It's looking more and more like the best option is to roll the dice on a most likely transitional appointment than another wasted season under Ten Hag.
We have to, we’ve seen his style of football isn’t sustainable in a competitive league, even Klopps teams fade away and they’re no where near as high octane as we are so we’ve got no chance barring the occasional good cup run.

Just get someone else in and start squad building for how we want to play moving forward.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
We have to, we’ve seen his style of football isn’t sustainable in a competitive league, even Klopps teams fade away and they’re no where near as high octane as we are so we’ve got no chance barring the occasional good cup run.

Just get someone else in and start squad building for how we want to play moving forward.
The problem with this is that we don’t have Ashworth yet who’s going to make the ultimate decision.

Sarni

Honestly I thought you were trolling for ages, but you genuinely believe this don't you?
I do. I think he will convince them to support him fully and we will just waste another 2 years or so with this nonsense.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That's just nonsense.

That starting 11 had 3 teenagers promoted from the youth system, 2 of them he brought up. 5 players who were already at the club when he joined (we know he tried to get rid of at least 1 of them) and 3 of his own signings.

What 2 players were missing?
The team we lined-up with was 8 of ETH's strongest 11, based on everything we've seen. The two centre-backs and leftback were the ones out. Otherwise our attack, midfield, rightback and goalkeeper were all the players that ETH would have picked if every single player was fit. So the poster you are responding to was wrong when saying it was 2 players, but 3 players is hardly a huge difference. Yes we've got multiple players injured in those few positions so we're down to the bare bones, but it's nothing like the period we had early in the season when we had multiple players injured all throughout the squad.

It's like the other week against Brentford (I think it was?) where they had more of their strongest line-up out injured than we did. Once again we had three players out, whereas they had their entire backline out at the very least (no idea if the rest of their team was their strongest or if they had even more out). Despite having more injuries than we did, they were by far the better team and we fluked a very undeserved draw.

Last edited:

leontas

How much of bringing in the youth was a necessity because of injuries vs. a conscious decision? And now he’s running the risk of running them into the ground because of his stubbornness to rotate the squad.

Also if we continue performing at the current levels, we’ll further damage the confidence of the younger players. So insisting with ETH for next season will be even more damaging in the long run.

And besides that I can’t find any other positives he’s done for the team that would warrant sticking with him based on our current performances.

Cassidy

That's the whole point of @Fortitude no? Ten Hag was blinded by individual magic from Rashford. Where would ETH be without Rashfords 30 goals? You could argue they would get someone else but in general I think it's fair to say ETH got blinded and drunk of Rashford's production.
You are completely missing the point, no manager is letting the player leave when the club cannot guarantee signing a top replacement.
Thats a club issue

Cassidy

How much of bringing in the youth was a necessity because of injuries vs. a conscious decision? And now he’s running the risk of running them into the ground because of his stubbornness to rotate the squad.

Also if we continue performing at the current levels, we’ll further damage the confidence of the younger players. So insisting with ETH for next season will be even more damaging in the long run.

And besides that I can’t find any other positives he’s done for the team that would warrant sticking with him based on our current performances.
Mainoo and Garnacho were obvious conscious decisions

Sarni

I don't think there's a chance in hell that happens now, we look far too inept in every department. You don't need to worry.
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Great point, and that's something Klopp came to realise and modify despite looking like gangbusters for a season - the fallout was seen the next one, and on top of that, the net output of the side means going as hard as they initially did becomes harder, so it's modify the style or get rid of the first batch of players and do the exact same thing with a new group, which isn't good management, and more the Mourinho profile of treating players as expendable commodities.

Even getting this style up to par in its ultimate form, it's not sustainable for a prolonged period of time - it could well look marvellous for a portion of the season, and then the players are spent and the carryover mightn't end just with the season being played, but also into the next one ala Klopp.

The sustainability was talked about in detail before ten Hag even got here and was something the Ajax fans warned of, especially so with ten Hag not rotating his players as extensively as necessary to keep the fitness levels optimal. The hope was that he'd come here, learn from those mistakes and generally show the growth to handle a bigger squad, keeping them all fresh. Alarmingly, he's come here and gotten worse and more pig-headed in seeing his theories through - even if the midfield could handle the load, the amount of time that could've been done for would have been questionable and I'll say even if we land a special set of midfielders and he stays here, they won't handle the load over a season unless heavily rotated.

Ultimately, that system at its very best is not suppressive or effective enough in a league with plenty of great athletes, many solid tactical systems and coaches who are better at keeping their charges fresh. There's been doubts about that system ever since preseason, but it's proven to be even worse than we'd envisaged and that really takes some doing.

Sarni

The team we lined-up with was 8 of ETH's strongest 11, based on everything we've seen. The two centre-backs and leftback were the ones out. Otherwise our attack, midfield, rightback and goalkeeper were all the players that ETH would have picked if every single player was fit. So the poster you are responding to was wrong when saying it was 2 players, but 3 players is hardly a huge difference. Yes we've got multiple players injured in those few positions so we're down to the bare bones, but it's nothing like the period we had early in the season when we had multiple players injured all throughout the squad.

It's like the other week against Brentford (I think it was?) where they had more of their strongest line-up out injured than we did. Once again we had three players out, whereas they had their entire backline out at the very least (no idea if the rest of their team was their strongest or if they had even more out). Despite having more injuries than we did, they were by far the better team and we fluked a very undeserved draw.
Same happened against Fulham when ETH fans were telling us we could not have possibly done any better with our unprecedented injury crisis, but it was Fulham that were missing their 3 key players in Palhinha, Willian and Jimenez.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

For sure that has to be the reason why he signed of on a 375k a week contract? Even if ETH wanted Rashford to stay, why for 375k a week? Why not 200k a week or something? Because he was drunk where he should be led by reason and vision. And now we are stuck with a 20 million a year wage bill from mr Rashford. I bet at the moment top 10 paid premier league players. Cole Palmer, Solanke, Ollie Watkins, none of them are on high wages. If Rashford wanted more and threatened to leave he should have been let go. Goodbye. We are rebuilding a team, not club Rashford a la CR7.

One thing I learned is that being a premier league manager, a manager of a big club like Manchested United is difficult. At United the manager needs to to do way too much. INEOS best decision imo is to take away all the transfer dealings, take the main responsibility away from the club manager. I think Ten Hag has made mistakes there, as many others here will say he did with Antony for instance (even there @Adnan wrote well about how the financials were outside of ETh''s scope or responsibility) and that Rashford aproval is going to cost us a lot.
Agree with this. Who was to know Rashford would tank? The expectation was of him finally ascending and become a star of the league, registering top tier seasons campaign in and campaign out. Rashford has shafted the manager and the club with his performance level this season at a time when he was supposed to go farther in the opposite direction.

Ten Hag would have believed he'd get Rashford's output of last season plus change rather than it being a purple patch of form. It's really fecked the manager and the club because superstar charges don't usually let everyone down like this.

MadDogg

You would just complain about the interim then when they’re inevitably shite.
Why would they be inevitably shit?

Ole had a fantastic bounce when he first came in. Carrick did very well in his few games.

Even Rangnick did fairly well for the first couple of months. In his first 13 league games we won seven, drew five and lost one. Which is significantly better than what we've had over the last 13 games with ETH. Obviously it all fell apart after that for Rangnick, but we've only got a month left of the season so we would only need that new manager bounce for a short period. Hell, even if we take Rangnick's time with us as a whole he had almost the exact same points per game as what we've had under ETH this season (1.56 vs 1.54), with both of them trending down and getting worse as time went on.

Last edited:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Lazy links always say who Ineos want

Won’t be them picking. It’ll be Berrada who has a big say
Pretty clear who they want, it's in the name:

I - Instability.... thats what we currently have, and we need a steady eddy hand.
N - Now... We need someone who, one way or another, can come in and make an instant impact
E - English... We need someone who understands this great nation and respects the King
O - Obviously... there is only one choice
S - Southgate...

MadDogg

His press conference recently was extremely worrying, saying we should have enough goals because 'Rashford and Martial'.

How many managers have those two been at least partly responsible for seeing off now? Roy Keane talks about players who will get you the sack, those two are prime examples.

Overrated, lazy, not up for the fight, inconsistent and down tools when it gets hard.

Its another red flag with EtH. Any decent football brain should be able to spot that you're going nowhere if you rely on those two delivering week in, week out
Maybe Rashford with his unbelievably up and down form, but who has Martial been remotely responsible for?

LVG? One of his best players.

Mourinho? A manager who blatantly didn't like him and tried to play every other option ahead of him, but invariably every time he did give Martial a run in the team he was our best attacker (including saving Mourinho's job for a couple of extra months).

Ole? Fair enough Martial was shit in 20/21 but we know he spent months playing through an injury that made it hard for him to even run. And the question will always be whether doing that is why he's barely been able to get off the treatment table ever since, including in the following season when Ole got fired.