Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 623 54.4%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 523 45.6%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's not meant to defend ETH but since he came back from injury, Diallo has made me think that if he was fit at the start of the season, the shape of the team and plans of ETH could have been different. I think that Diallo is the kind of wide midfielder that helps you a lot in possession and he could impose himself in a similar way that Mainoo did.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's not meant to defend ETH but since he came back from injury, Diallo has made me think that if he was fit at the start of the season, the shape of the team and plans of ETH could have been different. I think that Diallo is the kind of wide midfielder that helps you a lot in possession and he could impose himself in a similar way that Mainoo did.
He hasn't used him much while he's had the chance...

The Oracle

Thomas Tuchel

Why not?

He's Champions League proven, and has shown that he can compete with the current best manager in our league - Pep Guardiola, after all he did delay Pep from getting his first European Cup with City, until he inevitably got one last season.

If he goes on to win the Champions League with Bayern this year, then surely Sir Jim and co. will be looking at him, especially considering he will be available on a free (no compensation to pay), and with Financial Fair Play already being a factor mentioned by Sir Jim regarding our future spending, I do actually think Tuchel will make the shortlist of candidates for the hot seat at Old Trafford.

Fallon d'Floor

Thomas Tuchel

Why not?

He's Champions League proven, and has shown that he can compete with the current best manager in our league - Pep Guardiola, after all he did delay Pep from getting his first European Cup with City, until he inevitably got one last season.

If he goes on to win the Champions League with Bayern this year, then surely Sir Jim and co. will be looking at him, especially considering he will be available on a free (no compensation to pay), and with Financial Fair Play already being a factor mentioned by Sir Jim regarding our future spending, I do actually think Tuchel will make the shortlist of candidates for the hot seat at Old Trafford.
I think Tuchel, like Mourinho, would be a good manager for us to hire with a 2-3 year spell in mind. We'd likely get 2 good seasons from him. Maybe more if everything worked out.

50 years old and had already worked in England where he did well both domestically and in Europe. Tuchel was a real pain in the ass for Pep at times.

He's already reached 2 CL finals with two different clubs, and could potentially make history by reaching another final with Bayern. I fancy Real though.

He was literally 1 win away from the most successful season in PSG's history. They won all four domestic trophies that they competed in that season. A very tight 1-0 loss vs a brilliant Bayern team.

I'd have zero issues with it.

crossy1686

career ending
ETH isn't a young coach.
I know he isn’t, but he’s another one of these coaches that is trying to prove himself on the world stage instead of just focusing on getting the best out of the team he’s managing. There’s too much ego involved. We need a manager that will recognise we need some pretty big changes over the coming few seasons and be fine with that because they’re not worried about their reputation taking a battering if we don’t win anything.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I know he isn’t, but he’s another one of these coaches that is trying to prove himself on the world stage instead of just focusing on getting the best out of the team he’s managing. There’s too much ego involved. We need a manager that will recognise we need some pretty big changes over the coming few seasons and be fine with that because they’re not worried about their reputation taking a battering if we don’t win anything.
Thats never going to happen, especially with the way the English press is, also at the same time fans will be calling for their head if they don't perform too even if its for a single season

JPRouve

Scout
Thats never going to happen, especially with the way the English press is, also at the same time fans will be calling for their head if they don't perform too even if its for a single season
When it comes to Football, the English press is probably the softest and nicest in Europe. The same is true for fans, especially United fans.

stevoc

If this was Ten Hag's first season and considering how we've performed. Would there be anyone who'd think he should get another season, based on this one?

Cassidy

When it comes to Football, the English press is probably the softest and nicest in Europe. The same is true for fans, especially United fans.
There is no way a United manager is going to survive not getting results at United, we had ETH doing a Sky interview defending his methods after just 2 games with the club

Skills

Snitch
If this was Ten Hag's first season and considering how we've performed. Would there be anyone who'd think he should get another season, based on this one?
Funnily enough there would be even more of them. The manager shits gold effect is way stronger earlier in the tenure.

You have to be Moyes bad to not be fellated 24/7 in the first 12 months of your managerial tenure here.

stevoc

Even more so with the match going fans. You'll barely ever hear negative chants about the manager at OT.

Cassidy

Definately not, well not in my opinion

JPRouve

Scout
There is no way a United manager is going to survive not getting results at United
There is a difference between not winning anything and not getting results. United managers will be given time if people see progress. Of course if you are actually bad and underperforming you will be under pressure but that's true literally everywhere and for everyone.

stevoc

Funnily enough there would be even more of them. The manager shits gold effect is way stronger earlier in the tenure.

You have to be Moyes bad to not be fellated 24/7 in the first 12 months of your managerial tenure here.
But if this were his first season, he has been Moyes bad, worse in fact.

Yeah, David Moyes.
That guy will be on his death bead in 30 years muttering about more time.

JPRouve

Scout

Even Moyes had a fairly big amount of supporters in the years following his sacking. Claiming that he was unfairly treated and not given enough time.

Cassidy

There is a difference between not winning anything and not getting results. United managers will be given time if people see progress. Of course if you are actually bad and underperforming you will be under pressure but that's true literally everywhere and for everyone.
I think most people know there is a lot more pressure from media at this club (in England)

JPRouve

Scout
I think most people know there is a lot more pressure from media at this club (in England)
And my point is that, that pressure is absolutely weak compared to most top clubs or even just CL clubs across Europe.

Cassidy

And my point is that, that pressure is absolutely weak compared to most top clubs or even just CL clubs across Europe.
Outside of England at clubs like Madrid, Barca, Bayern yes.
In England no chance

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I've no issue with anyone who wants Ten Hag sacked based upon the performances and results this season. I am personally prepared to give him another season with the new structure in place because I do still like the way he handles the pressure of being the United manager and because it's clear the players actually are trying to play for him. They binned off several previous managers by this point and actively were trying to get them fired IMO.

This said, if INEOS bin him after the cup final (even if we win) and announce 2 days later that he has been sacked and an Inzaghi, Tuchel, Enrique, Ancelotti etc level manager was coming in, I would not exactly be heartbroken about it.

Jev

I think the fact that it’s his second season is way more damning. You want to see progress under a manager, especially in terms of performances. If it was his first season you could give him the benefit of the doubt. But what we’ve seen is that he started horrifically and then came good before the World Cup where we were looking very promising. Since then it’s been a downwards curve that has gotten steeper and steeper the more time ETH has had to influence things and put his stamp on the team. I’d be less critical if it was his first season.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
The issue with a young exciting coach is ambition. We need someone who's not trying to prove to the world they're a great coach but is indeed a great coach. We saw Ten Hag this season just refuse to change his system despite not having the players and that's exactly what we'll get with other young coaches. They have one idea of how football should be played and they will enforce that on the team regardless of the players because they don't have the patience to play some type of hybrid football for a season or two until we can get the players in.
Aren’t young coaches actually going to be more flexible because they are still learning and they recognize that? Ten Hag is not really a young coach, he is older than Pep.

JPRouve

Scout
Outside of England at clubs like Madrid, Barca, Bayern yes.
In England no chance
I probably didn't make my point clear. The pressure in England isn't actually high, yes United has more pressure than others but it's not a big pressure from the press or fans, you need to be very bad or underperform for a long period of time for any semblance of pressure to start. So to go back to @crossy1686 point, a Manchester United can easily have a methodical approach where they focus on improving things incrementally because neither the fans nor the press demand quick and big improvements. And when we talk about foreign managers, that's far less pressure on them than they are used to.

Cassidy

I probably didn't make my point clear. The pressure in England isn't actually high, yes United has more pressure than others but it's not a big pressure from the press or fans, you need to be very bad or underperform for a long period of time for any semblance of pressure to start. So to go back to @crossy1686 point, a Manchester United can easily have a methodical approach where they focus on improving things incrementally because neither the fans nor the press demand quick and big improvements. And when we talk about foreign managers, that's far less pressure on them than they are used to.
This isn't true in my opinion and the interview he did with Sky after 2 games is evidence of that.
I don't believe for a second that any manager United hire can slowly improve the side without coming under massive press pressure for not achieving things like top 4 etc

stevoc

I think the fact that it’s his second season is way more damning. You want to see progress under a manager, especially in terms of performances. If it was his first season you could give him the benefit of the doubt. But what we’ve seen is that he started horrifically and then came good before the World Cup where we were looking very promising. Since then it’s been a downwards curve that has gotten steeper and steeper the more time ETH has had to influence things and put his stamp on the team. I’d be less critical if it was his first season.
I'd agree to be honest, but I've seen a lot of people say they're backing him because of last season. Which while it was a good season it wasn't that impressive.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama

The same Moyes who got applauded off the pitch by fans at OT days before his sacking? :smirk:

Jev

I'd agree to be honest, but I've seen a lot of people say they're backing him because of last season. Which while it was a good season it wasn't that impressive.
Yeah, his first season has retrospectively been made into something it wasn’t as his supporters were looking for excuses. There were two or three months where it looked really promising but we were dire from February onwards and it was already quite worrying to end a manager’s debut season on a clearly downgoing spiral.

stevoc

Yeah, his first season has retrospectively been made into something it wasn’t as his supporters were looking for excuses. There were two or three months where it looked really promising but we were dire from February onwards and it was already quite worrying to end a manager’s debut season on a clearly downgoing spiral.
Most of us gave him the benefit of the doubt, I know I did. But it's just continued into this season which is why I'm not buying the injuries being the main reason for it

JPRouve

Scout
Most of us gave him the benefit of the doubt, I know I did. But it's just continued into this season which is why I'm not buying the injuries being the main reason for it
It's the same for me. In the past week I have tried to remember where I shared my thoughts at the end of the season because we fixed none of the issues that a nobody like myself could see and we added structural issues.

The part that I find a bit perplexing is that when the season started I didn't think that top 4 was a given and I didn't think ETH's job was a one season project. So to me the OP makes little sense, questions should be asked about certain things like play time management or the almost religious belief in a 4231 that often doesn't bring balance but at full strength and fresh we have generally been good to very good.

Now the recent weeks have shown a few things. We rely too much on Varane AND Martinez when it comes to moving the ball efficiently and controlling tempo, that's not normal and this reality is a blight on Casemiro-Eriksen-Bruno. The same observation can be made at the opposing end where during the few games where Martial was in shape we were significantly better as a possession team, that again points the finger at the midfield. We need to fix our midfield and bring a reliable striker or two.

CM

I've no issue with anyone who wants Ten Hag sacked based upon the performances and results this season. I am personally prepared to give him another season with the new structure in place because I do still like the way he handles the pressure of being the United manager and because it's clear the players actually are trying to play for him. They binned off several previous managers by this point and actively were trying to get them fired IMO.

This said, if INEOS bin him after the cup final (even if we win) and announce 2 days later that he has been sacked and an Inzaghi, Tuchel, Enrique, Ancelotti etc level manager was coming in, I would not exactly be heartbroken about it.
If these are the results of a team who are completely behind him, isn't that an even bigger indicator that he's never going to get it right here? We aren't even close to being a well functioning team

I don't think player opinion should factor too much into the decision either. We need to start behaving like a proper football club instead of having the lunatics running the asylum. Quite a few of the players will end up being replaced regardless.

stevoc

It's the same for me. In the past week I have tried to remember where I shared my thoughts at the end of the season because we fixed none of the issues that a nobody like myself could see and we added structural issues.
Yeah in hindsight a lot of the signs were there even last season that things weren't really progressing.

Fallon d'Floor

I disagree.

Maybe one or two like Pogba who had a toxic relationship with Mourinho by the end. But even Martial (Mourinho didn't favour him) was still professional and performing despite their issues. He scored 7 PL goals during Mourinho's final 10 PL games.

The players responded to losing 5-0 at Old Trafford vs Liverpool by beating Spurs 3-0 away in the next PL game. The players were even trying like crazy during the 4-1 loss vs Watford. VdB came on and had an impact. He scored and then set up a great chance for Ronaldo to get United back into the game. He missed. Maguire's red card was the final nail in the coffin, which Solskjaer mentioned on The Overlap. Went from 2-1 and battling back to a 4-1 loss with 10 men.

But let's say that you are right and the players have downed tools for other managers. That makes ten Hag look even worse. If the squad is fully behind him and the past 14 months are what they've produced, that simply shows that he's not good enough and that some of them need to be moved on also.

17 defeats in less than a season with a team behind you should get you sacked. We've been fortunate that it's not more. Brentford, Liverpool and Bournemouth should have been 3 defeats. We should have taken a single point from that 4 game winless run. 3 defeats and a draw vs Chelsea instead of 3 draws and a defeat. It's been really bad, yet could have been even worse.

JPRouve

Scout
I disagree.

Maybe one or two like Pogba who had a toxic relationship with Mourinho by the end. But even Martial (Mourinho didn't favour him) was still professional and performing despite their issues. He scored 7 PL goals during Mourinho's final 10 PL games.

The players responded to losing 5-0 at Old Trafford vs Liverpool by beating Spurs 3-0 away in the next PL game. The players were even trying like crazy during the 4-1 loss vs Watford. VdB came on and had an impact. He scored and then set up a great chance for Ronaldo to get United back into the game. He missed. Maguire's red card was the final nail in the coffin, which Solskjaer mentioned on The Overlap. Went from 2-1 and battling back to a 4-1 loss with 10 men.

But let's say that you are right and the players have downed tools for other managers. That makes ten Hag look even worse. If the squad is fully behind him and the past 14 months are what they've produced, that simply shows that he's not good enough and that some of them need to be moved on also.

17 defeats in less than a season with a team behind you should get you sacked. We've been fortunate that it's not more. Brentford, Liverpool and Bournemouth should have been 3 defeats. We should have taken a single point from that 4 game winless run. 3 defeats and a draw vs Chelsea instead of 3 draws and a defeat. It's been really bad, yet could have been even worse.
Pogba was one of our best performer during Mourinho final season. Do you remember that game against Newcastle where Pogba turned into a one man midfield and led a comeback win?

As you suggested players rarely down tools, they amy be demoralized or lack confidence but they don't do it on purpose and generally try.