Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 631 44.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 777 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Why is Zidane obvious? extremely limited experience as a manager, with a club who are massively dominant
Extremely limited experience? Of having managed the most mercilessly demanding club in football and winning a bunch of trophies? Or having been a GOAT footballer who commands global respect across the game? Of course you would rather have your Pep Guardiola is my idol who has managed a couple of trophies in a farmer's league and got found out the moment he stepped outside his level. Sheesh.

mintyred

He’s in a public position, accountable to millions of fans all over the world, at a club that heavily benefits from media attention. Critical coverage is the other side of the coin and comes with the territory. I don’t see how it makes him look strong if he can’t handle it.
It's not about handling it, it's about respect. Sir Alex did it many times. Getting disrespected and doing nothing about it looks weak. People have this belief that putting up with disrespect somehow makes you a strong person. Ironically that's the weakest thing a person can do. People only tell you that putting up with disrespect is strong so they can continue to disrespect you.

Jev

It's not about handling it, it's about respect. Sir Alex did it many times. Getting disrespected and doing nothing about it looks weak. People have this belief that putting up with disrespect somehow makes you a strong person. Ironically that's the weakest thing a person can do. People only tell you that putting up with disrespect is strong so they can continue to disrespect you.
He’s not being disrespected, he’s being criticized for doing badly in a highly scrutinized job.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Press conferences are largely a waste of time anyway. They dont benefit the media as they could do because they waste the opportunities by asking pointless questions and digging for sensationalist soundbites, which they rarely get. I'm sure managers loathe them.

mu4c_20le

This is the so called disrespect he was banned for.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...ootball-news/erik-ten-hag-man-united-29036626

Ten Hag passed the point of no return to transform United into a credible force months ago and now he is too far gone. He does not sound or act like a United manager and hasn't for several months.

United's regression this season is so striking after a progressive first season under Ten Hag. But since the atrocious and abandoned reintegration of Mason Greenwood back into the squad in early August, United have lurched from one crisis to another and it has been an omnishambles.

Ten Hag has to take responsibility for Greenwood. He could have washed his hands of him. He was on shaky moral ground the moment it emerged he was keen to have Greenwood in the United squad. That call made the departures of Richard Arnold and John Murtough inevitable.

United have wasted hundreds of millions on Ten Hag's watch (Antony, Mason Mount, Sofyan Amrabat), the injury toll is partly a consequence of his training methods and an incompetent medical department that should be gutted. United have no style, they have seldom won convincingly this season and this is shaping up to be their worst season in the Premier League era. They have been in gradual decline since the League Cup triumph in February last year.

Since Ratcliffe agreed to minority stakeholding, the chief executive jumped before he was pushed and the football director fell on his sword. The manager is next in line.

Crucially, Ten Hag has lost the support of the matchgoers. His approval ratings are at an all-time low - after an FA Cup semi-final win. United fans could not leave Wembley quickly enough after the winning penalty kick. They voted with their feet: Ten Hag out

DSG

This is probably the truth. When United play well he’s normally a massive part of the positive bits.

He’s done a lot wrong too but stuff like getting beaten for pace playing CB by a wingers 10 years younger than him I don’t blame on Cas at all.

Makes him look like a clown sure but the guy does his best despite some calling him lazy. I don’t really see the laziness I see teams targeting him defensively.

I think a big part is not really his fault. Teams kinda have worked him out when he’s isolated. The shape this season means he’s always exposed which again isn’t a players fault.

Barcelona at their peak even isolate Busquets you had joy on the break. When the compactness disappears (rarely happened granted) defensively Busquets never had the speed to chase runners.
Notice he plays poorly or looks poor when paired with McTominay. Seems better with Mainoo.

Casemiro was never known for pace. Everyone keeps slating him for his performances this season when it’s more likely that it’s an impossible job to cover that much ground when your 8 and 10 bomb forward and your CBs are so deep. Ten Hag has tried to mitigate that by pinching Dalot in, but then we get done by balls into the channel. The tactics are a fecking mess for abilities / attributes of our players. Seriously, I cannot understand why Ten Hag still has a job. After two seasons and a new GK, we still can’t play through a high press consistently. feck me.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is probably the truth. When United play well he’s normally a massive part of the positive bits.

He’s done a lot wrong too but stuff like getting beaten for pace playing CB by a wingers 10 years younger than him I don’t blame on Cas at all.

Makes him look like a clown sure but the guy does his best despite some calling him lazy. I don’t really see the laziness I see teams targeting him defensively.

I think a big part is not really his fault. Teams kinda have worked him out when he’s isolated. The shape this season means he’s always exposed which again isn’t a players fault.

Barcelona at their peak even isolate Busquets you had joy on the break. When the compactness disappears (rarely happened granted) defensively Busquets never had the speed to chase runners.
Very few players shine or don't look like pumpkins when they are isolated. Pep full field man-marking provided us some hilarious moments.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Notice he plays poorly or looks poor when paired with McTominay. Seems better with Mainoo.

Casemiro was never known for pace. Everyone keeps slating him for his performances this season when it’s more likely that it’s an impossible job to cover that much ground when your 8 and 10 bomb forward and your CBs are so deep. Ten Hag has tried to mitigate that by pinching Dalot in, but then we get done by balls into the channel. The tactics are a fecking mess for abilities / attributes of our players. Seriously, I cannot understand why Ten Hag still has a job. After two seasons and a new GK, we still can’t play through a high press consistently. feck me.
I do think Casemiro is noticeably a step slower than last season (which was always going to be expected). But yes it doesn't help that he's lost a step AND has been tasked with even more ground to cover than last season.

Honestly I've sort of liked his CB performances the last couple of games, at least it helps his distribution immensely when he can have the entire pitch in front of him instead of having to turn and be a pressing trigger receiving it from our back 4.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I do think Casemiro is noticeably a step slower than last season (which was always going to be expected). But yes it doesn't help that he's lost a step AND has been tasked with even more ground to cover than last season.

Honestly I've sort of liked his CB performances the last couple of games, at least it helps his distribution immensely when he can have the entire pitch in front of him instead of having to turn and be a pressing trigger receiving it from our back 4.
I'd be surprised if he was a step slower. I think that it's a more a case of having more distance to cover and facing opponents that have better head starts.

DSG

I'd be surprised if he was a step slower. I think that it's a more a case of having more distance to cover and facing opponents that have better head starts.
Casemiro and Fred from the 70th minute forward was a really good pairing with Fred being the attack dog and Casemiro cleaning up behind him. Never thought I’d say this, but we really miss Fred this season :(

mu4c_20le

Well he's not wrong but Luckhurst is a Twat so I'm all for banning him permanently. Regardless of who the manager is.
Delusional vs twat. Hmm, tough choice.

Only one of them will be back next season though.

git_united

Yeah against inferior opposition it’s nice to have him back there but I shudder to imagine him there against the better teams going forward.

Lyng

Hi all, longtime member, but not posted since LVG days!
This is probably well trodden ground but wondering how people are looking at any comparison between ETH and Arteta.
Arrera had a pretty terrible first few years, and I imagine there were not many Arsenal fans claiming to see what was being built or that there was a grand plan emerging when they were finishing 8th.
Some of Ten Hags tactical decisions (or unwillingness to change) has been baffling at times, and I fully understand anyone saying it’s gone too far to come back from, but I do find myself wondering what may happen with a good structure, and clear recruitment plan in place.
Arteta had a clear style of play that was positive. If we didn't have this horrid basketball style I would be more willing to give Ten Hag a chance.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Ten Hag versus Slot next season then
He'll surely be gone this summer. If he's still about then the standards are in the gutter and we just have to accept we've gone from being a top team to a top 7 team. When teams like Spurs, Villa and probably even lower placed teams have a better coach than us, then it's time to just accept that we are what we are.

hobbers

To be fair if there's one thing that'll make wasting another season under ETH a bit more interesting it will be entering into an all Dutch race-to-the-bottom with Liverpool.

Obviously ETH has a big head start.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Very possible, I just see him miss tackles and interceptions that he seemed to get to 18 months ago for us. Either way it's obvious he's not Madrid Casemiro and it's suicide just leaving him to cover the entire width of the pitch on his own like prime Kante.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This journalist knows feck all.

Not saying it wont happen, but he knows feck all
It’s almost as if every journalist “knows feck all” - but as soon as it’s perceived bad news it’s believed

At this rate, we’re at the risk of claiming every journalist who goes through years of training is just making up bollocks. It’s a terrible view to take