Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 657 44.8%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 810 55.2%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

didz

I'm not arguing we didn't have chances. Just that saying they "didn't lay a glove on us" is ridiculous.
Ah so we're in agreement then. Ten Hag's setup deserved to win the game after all :)

DSG

A penalty is worth 0.76xG.

Without it theyd not laid a proper glove on us.
Mate. The issue here is not the Onana penalty. It’s our failure to create and score multiple goals, control possession, control the match, so that when there is a mistake, we’re up 3-0 and cruising and it won’t matter anyway.

‘The fact that you are even suggesting that a squad worth 1.4b can’t dominate that crap team is ludicrous. Standards have fallen so far. We’re happy with 6th place?

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I'm not arguing we didn't have chances. Just that saying they "didn't lay a glove on us" is ridiculous.
I didn’t say that. Re read the post.
A PL striker would expect to score that. Like I said, the Sheffield United right back scored a harder one against us in the last game.
Except that’s not what the xG suggests. It suggests you wouldn’t expect a PL striker to score it. It’s a low xG 1v1 chance.

Body position, hip position and Maguire on his shoulder combined with Onana closing down makes that a very tough one to finish. XG agrees too.

Amira

Mate. The issue here is not the Onana penalty. It’s our failure to create and score multiple goals, control possession, control the match, so that when there is a mistake, we’re up 3-0 and cruising and it won’t matter anyway.

‘The fact that you are even suggesting that a squad worth 1.4b can’t dominate that crap team is ludicrous. Standards have fallen so far. We’re happy with 6th place?
You are wasting your time

jesperjaap

Got a certain amount of sympathy for him this season. Martinez andShaw injured most of the season, Casimiros fallfrom 1st season, RAshfordds drop from last season, his star signing Mount being injured so long, not being able to unleash Mainoo til after Christmas....
But his transfer business looked and has been poor both in ad out and the tactical genius so many so called self apointed experts on here promised has been non existant.
I think a lotof fans fell yet again for a good first season....like Mourinho, like Ole...forgetting second season syndrome. He did do well last season, I was hopeful but did think our improvements were more the form of Rashford, Shaw and thetwo signings of Casimiro and our one great reent signing(hopefully if he stops getting injured)Martinez.
But he simply has to go and we need a new manager to start at the END of THIS season....and at least ten players need to go with him

Fallon d'Floor

Without their penalty Antony alone had more xG than them.

We also had a penalty on Garnacho not given.
That doesn't mean that they didn't lay a glove on us. :lol: Their xG without a penalty is 1.27, which is good for a 19th place team playing away from home.

And we got away with a penalty vs Wolves (Onana again) on the opening night and were lucky to be awarded a penalty vs Bournemouth recently. Doesn't matter.

We beat Everton 2-0 at home a few weeks ago. Our xG for that game was 2.72 overall. It would have been lower than Everton's 1.61 xG without the two penalties. I doubt you cared about that then.

hobbers

Yeah, wildly enough, not many newly developed game models will involve getting the seven shades of shit kicked out of you at home to Wolves, Brighton, Palace, Brentford, Bournemouth, Fulham, Burnley, Copenhagen, Galatasaray, and away to just about everyone.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Total delusion. Our brand of football is among the worst in the league - even against relegations fodder.
This is true. I reckon that Kompany would have us looking better if he had us playing as organised and as comfortable on the ball as his Burnley side. They've beat us on possession stats twice now this season. The difference is the quality in players, but they're better coached than us. You could go through the teams in the league and most are, they just don't have the quality at their disposal that we do.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's getting desperate now
Not at all. I think he gets sacked end of season and as I’ve said for months now whatever INEOS decide to do I’ll back 100%.

We had enough chances to make it 2/3. We also didn’t get a penalty on Garnacho.

When you have teenagers and a young striker in the side you’re not going to always finish everything you should.

Antony alone had more xG than Burnley all game (minus the pen)

didz

You can't create goals, you can only create goal scoring opportunities. We did that pretty successfully, but the people who were supposed to be doing the scoring, didn't.

Fridge chutney

Give him next year with a proper structure, summer reinforcements and a healthier squad.

If we are still struggling, we part ways (his contract is over anyway). That way we've given it our best shot.

didz

He thinks McTominay is creative and good at keeping the ball? :houllier:

‘What? Has anyone ever, in the Caf or anywhere, described Scott McTominay as a “creative midfielder”?
He's saying something pretty weird shit today it has to be said :lol:

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
That doesn't mean that they didn't lay a glove on us. :lol: Their xG without a penalty is 1.27, which is good for a 19th place team playing away from home.

And we got away with a penalty vs Wolves (Onana again) on the opening night and were lucky to be awarded a penalty vs Bournemouth recently. Doesn't matter.

We beat Everton 2-0 at home a few weeks ago. Our xG for that game was 2.72 overall. It would have been lower than Everton's 1.61 xG without the two penalties. I doubt you cared about that then.
I didn’t say they didn’t lay a glove on us. Re read the post.

Ours was 3.06

I don’t care when we win of course not. I’m happy.

I care when we are falsely attributing worse things than are actually happening.

We had the chances to win that game even if we include their penalty.

It wasn’t the terrible performance some are suggesting.

hobbers

‘What? Has anyone ever, in the Caf or anywhere, described Scott McTominay as a “creative midfielder”?
He's at least creative in the positions he finds to hide in to avoid being passed the ball.

Revan

Assumptionman
Are you having a laugh? City were shit, there for the taking (probably thinking about the CL final) and they literally routined us. Similar to what happened with Chelsea in the first semi this year.

Garnacho was our best player and our genius manager only put him on in the 62nd minute after we conceded a 2nd which basically sealed our fate.

You really are not proving shit with this post.
I am as EtH out as any but I do not think this is fair. De Gea made howlers and we missed a sitter near the end of the match. It was a quite competitive match.

Dannn411

It gets worse.
I'm so happy he's talking more now. So that his supporters can see how truly delusional and inept he is. Apparently Mctominay is creative and good at keeping the ball. Keep talking Erik. I'm enjoying it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

DSG

Not at all. I think he gets sacked end of season and as I’ve said for months now whatever INEOS decide to do I’ll back 100%.

We had enough chances to make it 2/3. We also didn’t get a penalty on Garnacho.

When you have teenagers and a young striker in the side you’re not going to always finish everything you should.

Antony alone had more xG than Burnley all game (minus the pen)
The Antony goal was a gift. When you subtract out the error by Berge, what’s Antony’s xG? See, I can do it too.

You’re falling back on xG… okay. But let’s play it out. If we looked at our xG differential for the season, we’d be in 15th place!!!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Give him next year with a proper structure, summer reinforcements and a healthier squad.

If we are still struggling, we part ways (his contract is over anyway). That way we've given it our best shot.
He'll need a new contract if we want to give him the best conditions to succeed. Do you want that? I can't believe how many are willing to write off another season for something that has a slim chance of working. Even if it was better, we aren't winning major trophies with this guy in charge. It's a pointless exercise, and for what?

In this scenario, giving it our best shot is trying something different.

Amsterdam Devil

Oddly enough , our entire CL campaign in 99 sesson has games closer to our crazy games this season than any other. Living by the seat of our pants in every game but the Brondby ones. I’d say in all 9 games against Bayern, Barca , Inter and Juventus we could have lost on another night.

Not saying this teams anywhere near as good, it’s just that CL run was glorious cowboy football from United. quality chaos
That’s true maybe in some games you mention, especially the Inter game I remember well. But we played some great football as well and as a whole we had an identity, a style of play, likable players and a great manager. Now we have nothing of that, so not comparable at all when we are struggling against teams like Coventry, Burnley and Sheffield every week. Awful team, awful manager.

Last edited:

didz

I wouldn't go that far. Most of the good stuff we do is in spite of his setup. We simply have better players. Swap teams today and Burnley would have stuffed us.
Well now we're just talking conjecture, with an admission that the basic premise is "bad thing happens = it's this person's fault, good thing happens = it's in spite of this person."

I think you can see how that is not a fair form of evaluation. I certainly wouldn't want somebody to judge me on those terms, as there's literally no coming out ahead.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
The Antony goal was a gift. When you subtract out the error by Berge, what’s Antony’s xG? See, I can do it too.

You’re falling back on xG… okay. But let’s play it out. If we looked at our xG differential for the season, we’d be in 15th place!!!
Of course you can. The big difference here though is being given a penalty is as close to 1 xG as you can get without pretty much being on the goal line unmarked.

People moan when we don’t win XG battles, people moan when we get wins but with poor performances and so now we have a draw with a performance that should have ended with a win but for a brain fart and the daggers are out again.

The only way this fan base will be happy is if we win every game playing dominant football and conceding no chances which we are miles off and no manager in the world would get us close to.
And there it is.
Aim to please. But it’s still true.

hobbers

Astonishing that a third of the forum dont care about trying to stop City winning the double.

Fridge chutney

He'll need a new contract if we want to give him the best conditions to succeed. Do you want that? I can't believe how many are willing to write off another season for something that has a slim chance of working. Even if it was better, we aren't winning major trophies with this guy in charge. It's a pointless exercise, and for what?

In this scenario, giving it our best shot is trying something different.
I suppose it depends on what that "different" is. I hear murmurings of Southgate. That, to me, does not give us a better shot at anything other than comedic value for our rivals.

CM

The quote about this team being entertaining and dynamic is all the confirmation needed to sack him. Spoofer

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don’t think we’ve had a manager post Fergie (other than the Ole caretaker period) do what Emery is doing at Villa - getting a team playing beyond the sum of their parts. Emery took what is essentially the same team Gerrard had hurtling towards the championship, and took them into the champions league.

Moyes, Van Gaal, Jose, Ole, now Ten Hag…they’ve all had an initial upturn in form, but it all eventually goes the same way. They make terrible signings (even good signings ending up poor) and our players end up looking lost, not arsed, making individual mistakes and generally looking clueless.

Nobody is able to have the effect on the team that a great coach should - and I think there’s been some great coaches post Fergie. So we need to ask why that is. I really don’t think it’s as simple as sack Ten Hag = problem solved. Yet at the same time, I don’t think you can ignore some of the weird decisions he’s made that have helped get us here.

kerrygold

Supports
united

He’d be best to not even provide an answer. This is just pure rubbish. He’s lost his mind.

RedDevilQuebecois

I got banned from that subreddit because I was unhappy with Ole towards the end of his tenure. The place was an Ole cult and I had the audacity to say that he was actually terrible in the job and we'd never be successful with him as manager.

Believe it or not, perma banned!!
The same happened to me.

That particular subreddit is a shithole country for top reds.