Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 658 44.9%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 809 55.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
No, but can absolutely blame him for the chaos football and complete lack of control, which means there are far more opportunities for mistakes to happen than what there should be.
So his football style led to the punch? Explain.

Fallon d'Floor

Eh... even though the period between winning the title in 2003 and the start of the 2006/2007 season was a lean period for the club compared to the high standards set for 10+ years at that point under SAF, that 04/05 team weren't anywhere near as bad at this current one.

04/05 season:
  • Finished 3rd - 77 points with a +32 GD
  • Only conceded 26 goals in the league
  • Reached The FA Cup final
  • Made it to the SF of The League Cup
  • Made it to the Ro16 of The Champions League (knocked out by Milan who were the best team around at that time)
  • Only lost 10 out of 61 games played that season
That United team struggled to score goals in the league. Ruud was injured for a lot of the season.

Valencia Shin Crosses

In all seriousness, why do you think INEOs haven’t sacked him ?

I feel it could be a mish mash of a few things

1.They are more focused on summer then this season and replacing him is not a priority (ie - this seasons been written off since SJR took over)
2. Money - cost of sacking ?
3. No decent interim/alternative
4. They are still collaborating data and actually seeing this sh*tshow plays out may provide good info
1 and 4 I assume. They’ll sack him in the summer

Abraxas

You can tell ETH is losing the plot by the utter nonsense he is coming out with, routinely. Which he didn't at the start. That worries me as much as the performances because I think they both indicate the same thing, he doesn't really know how to improve our performance and he's getting tetchy and having to come out with absurdities to justify himself. It's reminiscent of previous managers before they got the boot. ETH saying we're playing good football reminds me of Moyes praising our ability to cross to nobody in particular - it's so far off the mark it's hard to know what he is looking at.

theatreofdreams777

He assembled the weakest and most imbalanced United squad in the last 40 years after spending 400m. On that alone, he deserves the sack never mind the awful performances in 2 years.

Salford_Red83

OK they're 100% just try hards then. I don't get it though, if you really love the club you support then you should be comfortable enough to criticise where warranted.
Exactly. For me it's Manchester United Football Club above all - owners, managers, players, the club is bigger and will be here long after theyve gone.

Right now ETH is damaging Manchester United and no longer merits being in the role. It baffles me how people are like "give him the first three months of next season" considering what the last 14 months of him being in charge have been like.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
To quote Elton John, it’s a sad sad situation and it’s getting more and more obsured.
I think the vast majority of us fans wanted ETH when we were looking for a new manager, lots of choices but we were very happy with who the board settled for.
What a shame it’s turned out this way especially after we won the league cup in his first season.
As for who I would wish to take us over can we have a look at some up and coming British manager who has done his apprenticeship and actually learned to manage players and get a system of decent play out of players.
Who would you have in mind? Potter, O'Neil, McKenna are the stand outs from that criteria. I would't have an issue with any of them getting a chance, O'Neil in particular I have been very impressed with. I'd say ideally though, they would have proven themselves at a higher level.

didz

1v1 in first half? Some top saves from Onana?

You're just talking rubbish.
The 1v1 was the only chance they had with an xG great than 0.12. We spurned 5 big chances, ie; chances with an xG of 0.2 or higher.

He's not talking rubbish at all - just data.

wolvored

In all seriousness, why do you think INEOs haven’t sacked him ?

I feel it could be a mish mash of a few things

1.They are more focused on summer then this season and replacing him is not a priority (ie - this seasons been written off since SJR took over)
2. Money - cost of sacking ?
3. No decent interim/alternative
4. They are still collaborating data and actually seeing this sh*tshow plays out may provide good info
Or maybe the manager who is coming in is at another team until the end of the season.

Fallon d'Floor

A penalty is worth 0.76xG.

Without it theyd not laid a proper glove on us.
Fofana has a decent chance in the 1st minute and Onana had to make two brilliant saves to deny Lyle Foster twice.

One was a header and the other was a one vs one (the best chance of the entire match from open play).

Their xG without a penalty was still above 1.00 without the penalty.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
1v1 in first half? Some top saves from Onana?

You're just talking rubbish.
Which ones? Which of those saves would you expect an average PL keeper to let in?
The 1v1 was the only chance they had with an xG great than 0.12. We spurned 5 big chances, ie; chances with an xG of 0.2 or higher.

He's not talking rubbish at all - just data.
Thanks.

Id also like to add in the fact there was a clear penalty on Garnacho not given too

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
That's Crafton banned then
EtH really is pathetic. The press in the UK has a lot of faults but this idiot is not entitled to censor all criticism of his shite style of play and results, irrespective how some on here and in the general Manchester United fan community seem love this Kim Jong Hag persona.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Fofana has a decent chance in the 1st minute and Onana had to make two brilliant saves to deny Lyle Foster twice.

One was a header and the other was a one vs one (the best chance of the entire match from open play).

Their xG without a penalty was still above 1.00 without the penalty.
Without their penalty Antony alone had more xG than them.

We also had a penalty on Garnacho not given.

VivaJesperBlomqvist

It’s a dictatorship with this manager, not difficult to see how he falls out with players
You/we all wanted that at the start though? All the praise for forcing them to jog more after the opening two games of the season.

For the record, I want him out and think he’s a clown.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So his football style led to the punch? Explain.
His football style leads to us being under far more pressure than what we should be, even against Championship level sides. Opposition teams having plenty of possession, easily being able to get into and around our box, getting more shots off than they should be, will inevitably increase the amount of defensive mistakes that we make. Casemiro's stupid header back to Onana may not happen if we actually had the game under control and were capable of keeping hold of the ball.

To put it simply, a playstyle that puts the defence under twice as much pressure will cause that defence to make twice as many mistakes. Probably more in fact as it causes a sense of panic throughout that defence. Are all mistakes the manager's fault? No. But his style increases the chances of them happening.

Rista

Without their penalty Antony alone had more xG than them.

We also had a penalty on Garnacho not given.
When you have to make up fictional scenarios where legitimate penalties were not given to opposition, just to excuse us not looking convincing against any of the 3 championship level sides, then you know it's bad.

Ollie Derbyshire

You could remove the word big with just team. He has been out played and done tactically by every coach in the league. We are 6th because of individual moments mainly from Bruno and Garnacho. He has been a huge let down.
Yeah, I had high hopes when we brought him in and after last season, but this year has just been a car crash from him.

E-mal

I still feel that we need to give the manager the first three months at the minimum.
We always seem to score at least a goal and create plenty even with our young bunch of attackers. I love seeing young, up and coming players like Garnacho, Mainoo, Hojlund getting chances, heck they are starters even.

Our results vs Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, City, Tottenham are okay-ish this season. Bar the City game, they are close result-wise. Don't forget, in the Fergie era we had difficulties winning or even scoring against the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea and City.

True, we have major defensive frailties and our non existent midfield is like Swiss cheese, we need to address them in the summer pronto. If possible, add a new striker and maybe another winger and we're going in the right direction, but the main focus should be and will be on the midfield and defence. We give our opponents to much space in midfield and they get too many chances. This upcoming transfer window will be an important one.
Stop feeling, look at the facts

didz

The 1v1 was a big chance. To say they didn't lay a glove on us when they nearly had 2 in the first half alone, one that they should score, is ridiculous.
It's more correct to say they probably should have scored one, yeah. But by your own admission:

I'd expect a PL striker to score a 1v1 more often than not. It was easier than the Sheffield United goal, which was dispatched with ease by a right back.
We should have scored plenty enough to win the game comfortably. Seems as if bad finishing may have been a major culprit here?

pocco

loco
I'd also day we had or biggest chances at the end because Burnley were chasing the win. They scored the equaliser and quickly picked the ball out of the net to get play restarted, and threw caution to the wind at the end. If they'd have looked to dominate possession as they had been then it probably would have ebbed out to a comfortable draw.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Look back at the highlights of the two chances you’re referring too.

The header is aimed close to Onana and his arms it’s a good PL keeper save but one that you’d be very critical of if he didn’t make.

The 1v1 vs Foster has Maguire pressuring from behind, Onana closed the angle so that this is what the ball strike ended up being:

He had the tiniest corner of the goal to aim at, wasn’t on the correct angle or body position to open the hips enough to finish it and put it right at Onana.

Robertd0803

Him saying we are the most entertaining team in the league should be enough to give him the boot on the grounds of sheer delusion alone.

We are only entertaining because its utter bloody chaos everytime we set foot on the pitch.

KjaAnd

Total delusion. Our brand of football is among the worst in the league - even against relegations fodder.

We constantly lose the ball, can’t press to save our lives and we don’t create loads of big chances because there are no off the ball runs, one-two’s runes in behind or just any semblence of attacking patterns or automatisms. Half the time, we lose possession by having our GK punt a long ball into the feet of the opponent.

This is by far the worst football I’ve seen from United in our lifetime. It’s worse than LvG. I’m bored to death and we aren’t even winning. And he has the audacity to try and gaslight us into thinking we’re fun to watch.

pocco

loco
Look back at the highlights of the two chances you’re referring too.

The header is aimed close to Onana and his arms it’s a good PL keeper save but one that you’d be very critical of if he didn’t make.

The 1v1 vs Foster has Maguire pressuring from behind, Onana closed the angle so that this is what the ball strike ended up being:

He had the tiniest corner of the goal to aim at, wasn’t on the correct angle or body position to open the hips enough to finish it and put it right at Onana.
A PL striker would expect to score that. Like I said, the Sheffield United right back scored a harder one against us in the last game.