Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 376 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,043 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You can't really blame the club that Ajax didn't want to lose their RB, CB, CM, ST, manager and upcoming forward player all in one window how would they come back from that.
Well he’s also blaming the club that Nunez picked Liverpool, a team that has picked up 90+ points in two of the last three seasons, over us. fecking stupid recruitment team not been able to get deals done :lol:

ETH wanted Nunez, Timber, Dumfries and Antony. He had to settle for the 2nd-3rd name of the list or no one at all. De Jong is the only target he's actually digging his heels in.
seriously man what the feck?

How on Earth are we convincing any player to come here ahead of Liverpool and Klopp right now? The recruitment team can’t just fecking hypnotise the bloke.

Same goes for Timber, if his ex manager can’t even convince him to come now, how the feck can the recruitment team? More hypnosis?

Backing your manager is being prepared to go for the players that he wants, and considering we appear to have gone and tried to do a deals for every player he has asked for, the majority of them players he’s coached before, it’s a real fecking head scratcher to say he’s not been backed just because a few players turned him down or joined better places clubs.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
You can't really blame the club that Ajax didn't want to lose their RB, CB, CM, ST, manager and upcoming forward player all in one window how would they come back from that.

These people think transfers are just easy flash the cash we're United you're not give us your players without considering the club on the end of the deal also has a say.

There has never been a solid link to Dumfries I've never seen a reporter who is credible post anything concrete about a bid or negotiations so where he has pulled this from is anyone's guess.
Agree with every point. It was always one of Martinez , Antony , Timber .

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
seriously man what the feck?

How on Earth are we convincing any player to come here ahead of Liverpool and Klopp right now? The recruitment team can’t just fecking hypnotise the bloke.

Same goes for Timber, if his ex manager can’t even convince him to come now, how the feck can the recruitment team? More hypnosis?

Backing your manager is being prepared to go for the players that he wants, and considering we appear to have gone and tried to do a deals for every player he has asked for, the majority of them players he’s coached before, it’s a real fecking head scratcher to say he’s not been backed just because a few players turned him down or joined better places clubs.
We could have wrapped the Antony deal on the cheap but we took our time instead. That costed us as Ajax are unwilling to sell now and are asking silly money for him. According to reports ETH did persuaded Timber to join. Unfortunately we were slow in concluding that deal as well which gave LVG (whose is out for our blood because of how the club treated him) the time needed to work his magic on him. We nearly lost Malacia to Lyon as well. Regarding Nunez, there are many ways how to win a transfer race one of which is outbidding opposition (as we did for the likes of Ronaldo and Pogba). I admit that this isn't exactly the best way to go. However it certainly wouldn't have been such a terrible way to act if only Murtough and co were able to even the books by actually selling unwanted players.

We're starting the season with an unfit 37 year old striker who wants out as our only option upfront and a CM who is weaker then last season. Key positions (RB, CM, RW and STK) has not been strengthened yet, most of the players ETH wanted out are still here and Malacia is probably the only signing we've made who had time to get enough first team match game to play tomorrow. Yet somehow the club had 'supported the manager'

alexthelion

Telegraph reporting peace talks between by Ten Hag and CR7 and a possible start for Ronaldo tomorrow.... so the directors are calling the shots, as I feared:

"Cristiano Ronaldo has been handed an olive branch by Erik ten Hag as the Manchester United manager weighs up an emergency recall for his wantaway striker.

Only days after ripping into Ronaldo and others for their “unacceptable” early exit from a friendly and urging the Portugal striker to get fit and prove his worth, Ten Hag had softened his tone on Friday.

Insisting it had been wrong for people to single out Ronaldo for leaving Old Trafford 10 minutes before the end of last Sunday’s friendly against Rayo Vallecano when others had done similar, Ten Hag lauded the 37-year-old’s application in training this week and claimed he was “really happy” to have him at the club.

With Anthony Martial likely to be out for two to three weeks with a hamstring injury, Ten Hag has been handed a big selection dilemma ahead of United’s opening Premier League game against Brighton on Sunday and must decide whether to rush back Ronaldo.

Ronaldo wants to leave Old Trafford this summer and is weeks behind his team-mates in terms of fitness after missing all of the club’s pre-season tour for personal reasons. A 45-minute run-out against Vallecano - when he was also involved in a tense touchline exchange with Ten Hag - was his only pre-season outing.

But Martial’s absence has exposed United’s lack of attacking options and it remains to be seen if Ten Hag turns to Ronaldo to answer his SOS, drafts in youngster Anthony Elanga or opts to play an additional midfielder and use Bruno Fernandes as a false nine."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...do-could-given-emergency-recall-erik-ten-hag/
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nunez was never a realistic signing for us due to the lengths Liverpool went to sign him. And Liverpool are also a more appealing football club to join than we're currently.

Erik ten Hag also went on record in May regarding Antony, where he said, Ajax couldn't afford to sell Antony because they couldn't replace him. And it was reported in early April by Marcel van der Kraan that Ajax wanted £70m to £90m for Antony.

Timber decided to stay at Ajax for further development as a player.

And I'm yet to see a credible link to Dumfries who some Dutch fans say is technically deficient on the ball.

I completely agree with ten Hag about signing the 'right players' even if we have to wait. And if we have to wait, then so be it because I'd rather sign the correct profile of player, rather than what we've done in prior years where we've signed players for big money who quickly became a problem for us.

It's about creating a team in the image of the current head coach, which will look to play a dominant brand of football. Something we haven't seen at the club since the great man retired.

Last edited:

Flexdegea

You’re utterly off your fecking rocker if you think we should have spent more than 85 fecking million on Nunez, a lost cause.

I agree bonkers but our fanbase carry these stories where we seem to be in for so many players.

On one hand you got us totally incompetent, Murtough is rubbish......but on the other same hand we bidding or making in roads for all the players mentioned, on top of the 3 we signed while running the whole DeJong signing too.....and also sticking bids in for the red bull striker...........something not adding up at all.

For people who haven't a clue they seem to be working hard trying to sign over 10 players.......,....

Azhar88

That's still just not true.

First, Ten Hag has not singled out Ronaldo, or said anything about him specifically. He rather keeps saying that it wasn't just Ronaldo.

And second, as I already said, Ten Hag has not said anything about consequences for tomorrow's game. He said that he told the players involved that their early departure was unacceptable, and that's it.

If you disagree with either point, I'd love to see actual proof of Ten Hag saying what you think he did. As long as there isn't any, your assumption that the consequence here is exclusion from tomorrow's squad is a complete invention by yourself. Also, if that would be the consequence for Ronaldo, it would be for all the players involved; because why would they be treated differently?

And finally, even if Ten Hag did single out Ronaldo and said he won't play tomorrow, then your assumption that only outside influence can have changed Ten Hag's mind is another big leap of logic. Maybe he changed his mind himself when he found out that Martial can't play.

It really seems to me like you're making up an elaborate narrative here that just doesn't exist.
I think we might be going around in circles here because you said in an earlier message that you don't trust the media and I'm assuming you are a big Ronaldo fan and wont hear a bad word against him. Furthermore, I'm guessing what is going on behind the scenes at Man United, but so are you.

The fact is, four days ago the Telegraph, which is a respectable newspaper, said this:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...eptable-cristiano-ronaldo-leaving-manchester/

"Erik ten Hag has slammed Cristiano Ronaldo over his “unacceptable” behaviour after the wantaway striker made an early exit from Manchester United’s friendly against Rayo Vallecano.

And United’s problems on the eve of the new season were piling up with Chelsea attempting to hijack their protracted move for Ten Hag’s No. 1 transfer target Frenkie de Jong.

Ten Hag was left fuming after Ronaldo - who wants to quit the club - and some of his United team-mates left before the end of Sunday’s 1-1 draw against Vallecano.

Asked if Ronaldo and the other players involved would be fined, United sources said the situation was an internal disciplinary matter but Ten Hag made no attempt to hide his anger in an interview with Dutch television.

“I certainly don’t condone this,” Ten Hag told Viaplay Sport Netherlands. “This is unacceptable. For all those involved. We are a team and that means you have to stay until the end [of the game].”

That does seem to single out Ronaldo, but if as you say, he hasn't done that, well my response would be this: the people above him have told him not to, because they want Ronaldo to stay for commercial reasons, not footballing ones.

As regards treating all the players who left early the same - well he obviously wont do that, because apart from Ronaldo, the others had played on Saturday not Sunday & that has been explained repeatedly. That Dalot and Bruno Fernandes were lead astray by CR7 is yet another reason to hold Christiano to account, in my opinion. Finally I think United have a better chance of getting a result vs Brighton today without Ronaldo, rather than than with him - he can't be fit having only had 45 mins pre-season - but without Ronaldo, Dalot and Bruno and maybe others (who I don't know about) well they might be struggling. Brighton do expect to play against 11 today, not 5!

To conclude, my view is this: if Ronaldo plays today even off the bench, we can wave goodbye to yet another season. If Ronaldo goes - and not playing him even when he is match-fit will force him out (possibly by buying out his own contract, which he could easily do) United have a chance.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Was out on the pitch at 09:40am.

Presumably taking it upon himself to personally measure every blade of grass.

GeordieRed

I was meant to be in the No.7 hospitality suite today but we’ve been moved to another area as apparently ETH has reinstated the practice of having the whole team arrive at Old Trafford early to dine together before changing and training; rather than just turning up an hour or so before the match

Tom Van Persie

No relation
You’re utterly off your fecking rocker if you think we should have spent more than 85 fecking million on Nunez, a lost cause.
I think once we were quoted that price by Benfica and realised that they were trying to create a bidding war between clubs we pulled out. I'm not sure he was seen as a main target anyway. Andy Mitten seemed to think that most of the talk was coming from the agent.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I'm really hoping we get off to a good start. Anything but a win and reporters will already start to sharpen their knives.

CM

Not to mention that Liverpool are in a much better position to take a risk like that. People often forget that players won't universally look good in different systems.

Nunez has started well for Liverpool; he's quick, a keen runner and causes chaos in the box, but he does also look technically deficient. He's coming into a settled team there, we're a team very much in transition with a new manager and several new players.

Azhar88

That's still just not true.

First, Ten Hag has not singled out Ronaldo, or said anything about him specifically. He rather keeps saying that it wasn't just Ronaldo.

And second, as I already said, Ten Hag has not said anything about consequences for tomorrow's game. He said that he told the players involved that their early departure was unacceptable, and that's it.

If you disagree with either point, I'd love to see actual proof of Ten Hag saying what you think he did. As long as there isn't any, your assumption that the consequence here is exclusion from tomorrow's squad is a complete invention by yourself. Also, if that would be the consequence for Ronaldo, it would be for all the players involved; because why would they be treated differently?

And finally, even if Ten Hag did single out Ronaldo and said he won't play tomorrow, then your assumption that only outside influence can have changed Ten Hag's mind is another big leap of logic. Maybe he changed his mind himself when he found out that Martial can't play.

It really seems to me like you're making up an elaborate narrative here that just doesn't exist.
I don't trust it quite as much as the Telegraph, but this is in the Express today:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...aldo-Erik-ten-Hag-Brighton-team-news-transfer

Former Liverpool defender Steve Nicol makes a good point: that ETH brought in 5 strict rules and if you break them you don't play. One is lateness and Ronaldo was certainly late to pre-season!

“So if you’re late you can’t play, but if you don’t even bother going to training and missing the whole pre-season you can still play? You make rules, you’re putting yourself on the line and now he has put himself right on the line Ten Hag. The fact that Martial is injured, he maybe has no choice but at the same time if he plays him, then people should start questioning him.

The key is this, with Martial injured should ETK risk going back on his own strong discipline and pick Ronaldo. I say NO - pick a youth player if necessary. If he does pick Ronaldo, the season will be just the same as last time.... we all thought Ralf Rangnick sounded good in his first press-conference, we all thought he was starting out well stamping down on poor body language/petulance... but look what happened to him.

FrantikChicken

I don't trust it quite as much as the Telegraph, but this is in the Express today:

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...aldo-Erik-ten-Hag-Brighton-team-news-transfer

Former Liverpool defender Steve Nicol makes a good point: that ETH brought in 5 strict rules and if you break them you don't play. One is lateness and Ronaldo was certainly late to pre-season!

“So if you’re late you can’t play, but if you don’t even bother going to training and missing the whole pre-season you can still play? You make rules, you’re putting yourself on the line and now he has put himself right on the line Ten Hag. The fact that Martial is injured, he maybe has no choice but at the same time if he plays him, then people should start questioning him.

The key is this, with Martial injured should ETK risk going back on his own strong discipline and pick Ronaldo. I say NO - pick a youth player if necessary. If he does pick Ronaldo, the season will be just the same as last time.... we all thought Ralf Rangnick sounded good in his first press-conference, we all thought he was starting out well stamping down on poor body language/petulance... but look what happened to him.
This doesn’t apply as clearly ETH has stated multiple times that Ronaldo was late to pre season due to personal reasons.

You’re creating drama out of thin air

Orange Tree

Starting Ronaldo would set a bad precedent. If you are big enough of a star, you are above the rules.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
once i see his first starting 11 i’m either going to be mildly content or apoplectic with rage.

cyberman

The club gave Ronaldo permission not to join pre season. He wasn’t late

GreatDane

The club gave Ronaldo permission not to join pre season. He wasn’t late
My take is that the gave him permission as they want him to find a new club as well, he couldn't and now we're stuck with him.

Azhar88

My take is that the gave him permission as they want him to find a new club as well, he couldn't and now we're stuck with him.
Yes, you are probably correct, but why indulge him.... if United start well today get a couple of early goals, he will sit on the bench face like thunder because he hasn't scored them.

If its nil, nil with 15 minutes to go he will be in the manager's ear, "put me on Boss, put me on....". Neither scenario helps and ETH shouldn't have to deal with it. But its on him now, he could have left him out of the squad (unless the money people put pressure on him) and then we wouldn't have the Ronaldo circus in town today, at all.

Gazautd18

I love him.
I was filling up seeing him come thru the tunnel and greet the crowd.
:drool:

Rajma

Watch Man United ruin his name for good.
To be honest he can be a Pep reincarnated but it won’t help with that midfield, it’s criminal that we allowed him to chase Frenkie for this long. I’ve been saying this for ages now.

Rajma

Rightly so. Digging his own grave trusting the players that have let every past manager down.
That was one of the main reasons I wanted Ralf to stay in some capacity upstairs, he would have had none of it after working with this group for half a year. Instead we want to live in the alternative reality where some magician makes these non entities play well.

KD6-3.7

I no it's not possible to get rid of basically half a squad but Ten Hag should have known most of this squad isn't capable of playing the football he hopes to do, Martinez the player he brought in is basically the only one who looks composed on the ball.

Early days, but this season is already a write off especially if we don't get a bloody midfielder.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
That was one of the main reasons I wanted Ralf to stay in some capacity upstairs, he would have had none of it after working with this group for half a year. Instead we want to live in the alternative reality where some magician makes these non entities play well.
In the words of famous Mark Goldbridge - "You cant polish a turd".

Zen86

Expectations this season are based on the transfer window. It’s been a bit of a shitshow with de Jong and Ronaldo, so the bar is pretty low.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I no it's not possible to get rid of basically half a squad but Ten Hag should have known most of this squad isn't capable of playing the football he hopes to do, Martinez the player he brought in is basically the only one who looks composed on the ball.

Early days, but this season is already a write off especially if we don't get a bloody midfielder.
Agree, season is a write off.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I am saying this again and again this slow building up team for few years won't work. Splash 400 mn in this window and give best possible tools to ETH to work with.

Then you didn't even need to spend in further windows. Remove the deadwoods. You will be really fine under this manager.

Same players and expecting another result will not do anyone any favour.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
These players are so limited. Until we replace the quality, the manager is always going to be handicapped.