Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Dannn411

Neighbours about to win 6th league title in 7 years and 4th straight title and we have fans defending the worst United season in Premier League history. :lol: :lol: :lol: We are firmly second fiddle in our own City now and half the people on here are like. No problem, nothing to see here.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
What am I trying to twist? Your reading comprehension seems to be awful.
You writing 50 word essays in front of each signing and then trying to discount some with some weird logic is not going to change the fact that 400m were spent since ETH has been here on his signings.

Yes, you are right, I have a hard time comprehending balderdash.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Neighbours about to win 6th league title in 7 years and 4th straight title and we have fans defending the worst United season in Premier League history. :lol: :lol: :lol: We are firmly second fiddle in our own City now and half the people on here are like. No problem, nothing to see here.
The standards are truly down the shitter. Moyes said we aspire to be like City and fans were rightly outraged. Now we can only dream to be compete with Villa or Spurs after spending the budget of a small nation. How the mighty have fallen!

Skills

Snitch
It's hilarious because Bruno has only missed 2 games all season. He hasn't had a good season either. He only found some form since April. Bro was there for the other 17 losses.

It might be a straight shoot-out between Liverpool and ourselves for the title of "most deluded fanbase". The post SAF years really exposed us. :lol:
Don't even think it's close. At least Liverpool fans in general were deluded about their entire club.

Manchester United fans for the most part hate everything about their own club bar the manager :lol:

They despise the players, they hate most of the footballing staff (apart from the manager) and even the non-footballing staff have come under fire recently.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Don't even think it's close. At least Liverpool fans in general were deluded about their entire club.

Manchester United fans for the most part hate everything about their own club bar the manager :lol:

They despise the players, they hate most of the footballing staff (apart from the manager) and even the non-footballing staff have come under fire recently.
This is why I've never really got the RAWK comparisons. They were writing poetry about Lucas, Kuyt and Skrtel. They thought Benitez and Rodgers were the second coming.

This place just shits on anyone and anything associated with the club.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
So true. This team (and the fans) has no standards anymore.

hobbers

Everyone else at the club just exist to be blamed for the managers mistakes.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
This is why I've never really got the RAWK comparisons. They were writing poetry about Lucas, Kuyt and Skrtel. They thought Benitez and Rodgers were the second coming.

Agreed, Liverpool and Arsenal fans are just purely delusional. Utd fans can sometimes be entitled, but mostly we are easily the most negative fanbase around. I blame the media who know they can spin any negative story into headline news. It's a shame a portion of our fans eat that up, though.

Revan

Assumptionman

Nail on the head.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015

I don't think we shit enough and give everyone more than a fair chance. That's why our managers have lasted longer than they should have and Lingard, Jones, Martial etc stayed long enough to get testimonials. Not many fan bases would accept such lowering of standards like we have done over the last XI years. We have allowed the Glazers and Woody to make us a laughing stock of world football. Now everything from our stadium to the training ground to the squad are in a dilapidated condition despite we being on of the highest revenue earning clubs in the world. And we don't even know if this is the nadir or we'll witness further depths.

Last edited:

Fallon d'Floor

The manager is taking tonnes of blame though so who is this levelled at?
The Glazers, Richard Arnold, John Murtough, Darren Fletcher, Steve McClaren, Eric Ramsay Benni McCarthy, Mike Clegg, Gary O'Driscoll, INEOS, etc.

They've all failed ten Hag.

Last edited:

Judas

Open to offers
This season wasn't a free hit, it still counts. Going into his 3rd season, we should be challenging for the title. He's already failed to deliver what you'd want and expect from a second season, if he is lucky enough to get another, the expectations should be high, he's got a lot to make up from this years mess.

Fallon d'Floor

Has anyone said this?
Most of their names have come up at one point or another over the past 2 years. Maybe not Mike Clegg. I was kind of taking the piss with him. Haha.

Arnold and Murtough get blamed more than most in terms of our poor structure, yet aren't ever blamed for hiring ten Hag. :D

Benni McCarthy was getting praised for Rashford's upturn in goals last season. Now people wonder what he's doing at all due to our lack of goals.

TrustInJanuzaj

This season wasn't a free hit, it still counts. Going into his 3rd season, we should be challenging for the title. He's already failed to deliver what you'd want and expect from a second season, if he is lucky enough to get another, the expectations should be high, he's got a lot to make up from this years mess.
The trouble is, this isn't high expectations; it's delusions. Do you truly believe even with signings this squad is anywhere near the pace? Some of that is partially down to Ten Hag, but a far bigger issue, are the legacy players left by previous managers. I just think this line of 'expectations' builds everyone up for disappointment. Better to be realistic and just demand progress next season.

AndyMUFC

We should’ve done better this season, no doubt about it, but no way was this squad going to challenge for the title next year under any manager.

5 years maybe, but not 3. It’s not that easy.

TrustInJanuzaj

Most of their names have come up at one point or another over the past 2 years. Maybe not Mike Clegg. I was kind of taking the piss with him. Haha.

Arnold and Murtough get blamed more than most in terms of our poor structure, yet aren't ever blamed for hiring ten Hag. :D

Benni McCarthy was getting praised for Rashford's upturn in goals last season. Now people wonder what he's doing at all due to our lack of goals.
While there's a minority of people who are blaming everything and everyone. There are plenty of people, like myself, who can acknowledge some of the issues caused by Ten Hag this season but who are also willing to try and contextualise other issues. The injuries, while not an excuse to derail a season completely, have been unprecedented and would have significantly hindered any manager. The structure at the club isn't the magic bullet, some claim, but it's an undeniable fact that we have been shockingly mismanaged from the top down. All our previous managers (good and bad) have fallen victim to this terrible structure and made a hard job, nigh on impossible.

Judas

Open to offers
The trouble is, this isn't high expectations; it's delusions. Do you truly believe even with signings this squad is anywhere near the pace? Some of that is partially down to Ten Hag, but a far bigger issue, are the legacy players left by previous managers. I just think this line of 'expectations' builds everyone up for disappointment. Better to be realistic and just demand progress next season.
That was expected this year, and he failed. Is it even realistic to demand it from his 3rd season?
We should’ve done better this season, no doubt about it, but no way was this squad going to challenge for the title next year under any manager.

5 years maybe, but not 3. It’s not that easy.
I mean its kind of tongue in cheek, of course this side isn't challenging. But if we'd bought well last summer, and actually you know progressed as a team this season, we should be looking at the 3rd season as at least having a crack at it. But we'll be miles off.

Telsim

Hiring Ten Hag was not a mistake. He was the hottest prospect back then and the only other realistic alternative was Pochettino - a known nearly man. It was a calculated risk. It didn't pay off, and not all the blame lies with him.

Not sacking him now will be a mistake however.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Incredible how INEOS are allegedly being so picky about Managers that they are willing to stay with a failure of a manager. If they want stability, get a manager who is known to be able to get consistent top 4 finishes. If all they are responsible for is tactics and squad management, then that shouldn't be an issue. But apparently it is.

TrustInJanuzaj

That was expected this year, and he failed. Is it even realistic to demand it from his 3rd season?

I mean its kind of tongue in cheek, of course this side isn't challenging. But if we'd bought well last summer, and actually you know progressed as a team this season, we should be looking at the 3rd season as at least having a crack at it. But we'll be miles off.
Progress isn't linear. It wasn't for Arsenal under Arteta, it wasn't under Klopp with Liverpool (they have had plenty of up and down seasons) and it wasn't with Fergie at Utd. Context does matter, the uncertainty hanging over the club with the sale, the drama of Greenwood/Ronaldo/Sancho sagas, and the unprecedented injury list to a less than stellar squad. They leave a dark cloud, and there are very few managers who come out of those spells smelling of roses. I think with the right recruitment this summer, though, we could make more progress than some seem to think possible. Obviously, a large part of that relies on INEOS nailing what the Glazers couldn't and bringing in the correct players, but unlike many, I do think Ten Hag has a long term vision for this team. I'll be disappointed if we don't get to at least see if he can get closer to that next year.

Marcelinho87

Incredible how INEOS are allegedly being so picky about Managers that they are willing to stay with a failure of a manager. If they want stability, get a manager who is known to be able to get consistent top 4 finishes. If all they are responsible for is tactics and squad management, then that shouldn't be an issue. But apparently it is.
Where is this alleged pickiness reported?

my understanding is they aren’t making decisions based purely on the fact they want the people hired to do the job to do it, hence the wait.

I don’t doubt for a second the likes of Ashworth etc are working without been on the books to get this sorted.

FA Cup will be his final game imo.

Fallon d'Floor

While there's a minority of people who are blaming everything and everyone. There are plenty of people, like myself, who can acknowledge some of the issues caused by Ten Hag this season but who are also willing to try and contextualise other issues. The injuries, while not an excuse to derail a season completely, have been unprecedented and would have significantly hindered any manager. The structure at the club isn't the magic bullet, some claim, but it's an undeniable fact that we have been shockingly mismanaged from the top down. All our previous managers (good and bad) have fallen victim to this terrible structure and made a hard job, nigh on impossible.
Yeah, but the difference between us and Chelsea and Newcastle is that even though they've had multiple injuries also, they haven't struggled to score goals.

We have a -1GD from our last 51 PL games. It stretches across 2 seasons. ten Hag has had Rashford, Garnacho, Antony, Bruno and Højlund available for most of the season. There's no excuse for how bad we are in attack. And when do actually score 2+ goals, we give up multiple chances at the other end. That's how you end up with these 3-2 and 4-3 scorelines. We are too chaotic. It leads to open games where we can win or lose. That's why we've lost 19 times this season. It could be more on the balance of play.

ten Hag's training methods, our pre-season preparation, and the recovery techniques we use all have to be called into question in terms of the injuries.

I think Eddie Howe should also be questioned. They press with intensity. A lack or rotation or rest could be an issue. We didn't rotate enough last season.

TrustInJanuzaj

I'm not being funny, but why should we care about this? To me this is the erosion of standards people should be talking about. I'd rather finish 8th, 8th, 1st than 4th, 3rd and 2nd. It's this kind of short-term thinking that has put us in this situation. Lets hire Mourinho a proven short term manager who left us in an even bigger mess when he left. We are seeing the same short-term thinking being displayed now; let's abandon any intention of playing modern progressive football to get better short-term results by playing a more pragmatic style. That style might make us harder to beat in a one off season, but a commitment to the progressive style will win you the big titles long term.

RedRover

I don't think we should be challenging for the title by the way, but he should be doing better than this shouldn't he?

All managers come into a club and deal with "legacy" players, but he's signed two thirds of a first team and promoted a few younger players. And he did well with some of those legacy players last year.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Where is this alleged pickiness reported?

my understanding is they aren’t making decisions based purely on the fact they want the people hired to do the job to do it, hence the wait.

I don’t doubt for a second the likes of Ashworth etc are working without been on the books to get this sorted.

FA Cup will be his final game imo.
Did you not hear "not many viable candidates" that has been said by fans and media?

TrustInJanuzaj

Yeah, but the difference between us and Chelsea and Newcastle is that even though they've had multiple injuries also, they haven't struggled to score goals.

We have a -1GD from our last 51 PL games. It stretches across 2 seasons. ten Hag has had Rashford, Garnacho, Antony, Bruno and Højlund available for most of the season. There's no excuse for how bad we are in attack. And when do actually score 2+ goals, we give up multiple chances at the other end. That's how you end up with these 3-2 and 4-3 scorelines. We are too chaotic. It leads to open games where we can win or lose. That's why we've lost 19 times this season. It could be more on the balance of play.

ten Hag's training methods, our pre-season preparation, and the recovery techniques we use all have to be called into question in terms of the injuries.

I think Eddie Howe should also be questioned. They press with intensity. A lack or rotation or rest could be an issue. We didn't rotate enough last season.
1) Our attack isn't good enough. I said it in the summer, and I'll say it again now: we need to add some serious firepower to this team regardless of any manager.
2) It's a team game at the end of the day. If there's a disconnect between GK and Defence, Defence and Midfield and Midfield and Attack, you will have problems. The injuries have hit us harder than most teams because we have so many weak links outside of our strongest 11 (hell, even our strongest 11 contains weaknesses). I think you're right in attributing some of the blame to our training, but then can we really moan as fans when we have been highlighting our team's work rate as a weakness for years? Ten Hag is right to try and address that and increase the player's intensity; if anything, it just helps to show who isn't good enough to cope long-term.

I'm not going to argue that we have been horrendous this season, as bad a Manchester Utd side as I've seen; however, I still think it's less bleak than under Mourinho. We are being punished right now for trying to take on a more progressive and aggressive playing style without the playing personnel. I remember a MNF from a few years ago where Carragher argued Arteta should abandon his style to try and get better short-term results being more negative. Neville argued that was short-sighted and that the very best managers will rigidly stick to their preferred style because how else can you find out who is suitable to play it? We currently are so far short of the technical and athletic profile of the top sides in world football, and those that are a good fit (i.e. Martinez and Shaw, to name a couple) have been injured all season and replaced by not only inferior players but also players completely unable to fulfil a role in this system.

That's my two cents. Get the structure right (in progress), I hope they can rectify the biggest issue for Manchester Utd - the recruitment. Give the manager the chance to make this system click with players who are actually capable of playing that style; then, we can analyse if the style itself is the problem. There's all this talk at the moment of INEOS interviewing a manager who gets what Manchester Utd is about, is willing to follow the club's game model, be progressive on the pitch and fulfil our identity of giving young players a chance. How many managers on the market actually tick as many of those boxes as Ten Hag? Thats why I'm firmly behind giving him a final chance to prove he's the man.

TrustInJanuzaj

I don't think we should be challenging for the title by the way, but he should be doing better than this shouldn't he?

All managers come into a club and deal with "legacy" players, but he's signed two thirds of a first team and promoted a few younger players. And he did well with some of those legacy players last year.
Yes, but I have a question for you. Do you think we would be doing better this season minus the injuries? Even Klopp's Liverpool has had two really poor seasons in his tenure because of injuries, so it's not just an excuse. It's especially prevalent when the wider squad is as poor as ours. As I've explained in other posts, that hasn't been the only issue, but the injuries this year would be enough to derail any team for a one-off season.

NLunited

I’m willing to give him another year since I’m now comfortable with us being shite. It’s quite nice watching games and expecting to lose. Couldn’t handle it if we somehow suddenly were in a title challenge, but…

Is it just me or does ETH lack any form of charisma? Such a massive downgrade on SAF in that regard..He just doesn’t strike me as a good man-management type of person. Compared to the GOAT, Pep and even Klopp, he does not seem to have a personality. This could be fine if he was working in a factory or driving a cab, however his job is to inspire the players and also a fair few million of fans. I don’t know if it’s a language barrier or not, but he couldn’t inspire me to do feck all.
He‘s definitely Dutch and from a part of The Netherlands where people are even more direct. His English is not great, but I like him maybe more than Guardiola and Klopp because he is straightforward.

The players are trying for him; the effort is there.

I just think Pep is a cheating bald feck and Klopp moans too much when he loses.

hobbers

is willing to follow the club's game model, be progressive on the pitch and fulfil our identity of giving young players a chance. How many managers on the market actually tick as many of those boxes as Ten Hag? Thats why I'm firmly behind giving him a final chance to prove he's the man.
You have no idea what the "game model" will be, I doubt anyone at Ineos does yet either. And Ten Hag has proven this season to be the most stubborn tactically inflexible manager around. He cant even cope with coaching and implementing his own system let alone a different one.

TrustInJanuzaj

It absolutely was though.
Two 8th placed finishes for Arteta, who looked out of his depth, and for the vast majority on this board, we thought he would be sacked. If that was Utd, I can guarantee you we would have some of the same posters crying about lack of standards and the rest. For Klopp, his initial period at Liverpool was quite linear; he looked to be getting the team better season after season. However, he still took a long time to find the balance; at first, he couldn't seem to stop his team from conceding chances/goals. He also wouldn't have planned to have two seasons where injuries completely derailed them and they ended up out the top four. Thats not progression, the only difference is Klopp had enough goodwill to ensure he survived them.

Atheist

Ten Hag’s only hope for next season is hoping for similar or more injuries - that way he can excuse himself for when there are bad results inevitably and he can get everyone to buy in convincingly. It’ll certainly be possible since we have some of the most injury prone players in the league in Martinez, Shaw and Mount. Since we’re told apparently there’s no difference between 2nd and 8th in this thread, we might as well finish a respectable 14th. That’ll be some achievement from him.

TrustInJanuzaj

He's still at the club so he obviously hasn't taken the appropriate amount of blame for the position we're in.
And there's every chance his head does roll. But there's a portion of fans here that are ignoring the wider context and attributing blame to the manager when the finger could and should be pointed elsewhere.

TrustInJanuzaj

Ten Hag’s only hope for next season is hoping for similar or more injuries - that way he can excuse himself for when there are bad results inevitably and he can get everyone to buy in convincingly. Since we’re told apparently there’s no difference between 2nd and 8th in this thread, we might as well finish a respectable 14th. That’ll be some achievement from him.
When was that said?

Judas

Open to offers
Yes, but I have a question for you. Do you think we would be doing better this season minus the injuries? Even Klopp's Liverpool has had two really poor seasons in his tenure because of injuries, so it's not just an excuse. It's especially prevalent when the wider squad is as poor as ours. As I've explained in other posts, that hasn't been the only issue, but the injuries this year would be enough to derail any team for a one-off season.
But even with everyone fit, we had a positive patch of form last season, and thats about it. Injuries are one thing, but as a manage, he's managed them awfully this season. The way he set us up, and the way we've gone into games tactically has been appalling. Would we have had a better season if everyone was fit? I would have expected so, but it's all hypothetical, the reality is we've been dog shit.

I've said it a million times, I want to believe in him, I want him to succeed and do well. I just don't have much reason to have faith in him after what he's delivered.

Revan

Assumptionman
If we spend 200-300m this season, that would put the spending to 600-700m. That's enough to make a title-challenging team even if you start without any player at all, providing that the decision makers and the manager know what they are doing.

NZT-One

I agree here. But I think it has to be mentioned that there were a lot of mistakes made in the last couple of years. So obviously a frustration deepening without the biggest of hope of a turnaround (before last year at least) will lead to people being disappointment. I am sure that would apply to many fanbases, but there aren't many who are in comparable situations.

Agreed, Liverpool and Arsenal fans are just purely delusional. Utd fans can sometimes be entitled, but mostly we are easily the most negative fanbase around. I blame the media who know they can spin any negative story into headline news. It's a shame a portion of our fans eat that up, though.
For them it isn't negative. It is just stuff that generates clicks. Plus the decisions that have been made by the club during the last decade have been mistakes. Big ones, many ones.

I'm not being funny, but why should we care about this? To me this is the erosion of standards people should be talking about. I'd rather finish 8th, 8th, 1st than 4th, 3rd and 2nd. It's this kind of short-term thinking that has put us in this situation. Lets hire Mourinho a proven short term manager who left us in an even bigger mess when he left. We are seeing the same short-term thinking being displayed now; let's abandon any intention of playing modern progressive football to get better short-term results by playing a more pragmatic style. That style might make us harder to beat in a one off season, but a commitment to the progressive style will win you the big titles long term.
Completely agree. Nice to see that kind of thinking from time to time.