Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager / awaiting clarity from the club over his position

Should ETH be kept on or fired by INEOS

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I disagree. I think we’ve been very unlucky this season to be in a position where the players we are playing aren’t of the required standard.

And I’ve been very close to giving up completely which is why my stance is not being bothered either way if he stays or goes.
Based on performances we were lucky to finish above where you would be 'Ten Hag out'.

Being unlucky with injuries is irrelevant to that.

Basically you're 'Ten Hag in' because we were fortunate that more teams didn't take the ridiculous amount of chances we gave up.

Flying high

Our current squad is good enough for top 4 with a proper manager and normal injuries. Adding a manager and transfers this summer we should be aiming for 3rd or second.
I disagree about the manager, but that aside we are for sure going to lose a load of players this summer. There's no way our squad will be the same and that's a good thing for me.

Like I said though, top 4 will depend hugely on which players we can bring in.

Blood Mage

Quality control
If Poch and Tuchel go to other clubs while we stick with this clueless idiot we deserve what we get.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
You’re being deliberately obtuse in your attempt to defend ETH (and yes, that is what you are doing despite your denials). Overperforming means playing better and getting more points than you could expect with the material at your disposal. We’ve done neither this season, we’ve just gotten more a bit points than our terrible performances have merited. It’s really not that complex.
I'm literally not defending him. I want him gone regardless of Saturday's result.

It's just hilarious that the same people saying we've somehow overperformed this season by finishing 8th, are also saying it's realistic to expect us to finish 2nd next season. These people also said we overperformed by finishing 3rd last season, but then point to that same 3rd place finish as evidence of our level.

I get that you're saying we were capable of finishing higher, but by our actual performances we're lucky we didn't finish lower, but ultimately, the argument that we're lucky we didn't finish 15th (or whatever it was xPts had us at) and the argument that we're not far from 2nd or 3rd, are fundamentally incompatible, whichever way you look at them.

As I said, I expect City and Arsenal to have a lock and 1st and 2nd. I expect Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle to be among the contenders for the remaining spots in the top four. I think there's chance Villa and/Spurs could also find themselves in the mix again. Even without a complete disaster of a season, top four isn't a guarantee (as Liverpool found out last year).

Regardless of whether we over- or underperformed this season, I think it's setting yourself up for massive disappointment to think we've a realistic chance at 2nd or 3rd.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm literally not defending him. I want him gone regardless of Saturday's result.

It's just hilarious that the same people saying we've somehow overperformed this season by finishing 8th, are also saying it's realistic to expect us to finish 2nd next season. These people also said we overperformed by finishing 3rd last season, but then point to that same 3rd place finish as evidence of our level.

I get that you're saying we were capable of finishing higher, but by our actual performances we're lucky we didn't finish lower, but ultimately, the argument that we're lucky we didn't finish 15th (or whatever it was xPts had us at) and the argument that we're not far from 2nd or 3rd, are fundamentally incompatible, whichever way you look at them.

As I said, I expect City and Arsenal to have a lock and 1st and 2nd. I expect Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle to be among the contenders for the remaining spots in the top four. I think there's chance Villa and/Spurs could also find themselves in the mix again. Even without a complete disaster of a season, top four isn't a guarantee (as Liverpool found out last year).

Regardless of whether we over- or underperformed this season, I think it's setting yourself up for massive disappointment to think we've a realistic chance at 2nd or 3rd.
What's hilarious is you missing all context of those comments. The poster said if we got a new manager and had a good transfer window, then it's possible. We finished 3rd last season, Villa went from relegation form to 4th under Emery. It's feasible, whether you care to admit it or not.

onemanarmy

I've started to admire the speed in which they ditch a manager who is obviously underperforming.
A whole new team, mostly young players, takes time to gel. They were pretty good last couple of weeks/months. Most Chelsea fans' reactions I've seen aren't very positive, at all.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Based on performances we were lucky to finish above where you would be 'Ten Hag out'.

Being unlucky with injuries is irrelevant to that.

Basically you're 'Ten Hag in' because we were fortunate that more teams didn't take the ridiculous amount of chances we gave up.
I’m ambivalent. I think the whole club has been in a confusing state.

Reiver

A whole new team, mostly young players, takes time to gel. They were pretty good last couple of weeks/months. Most Chelsea fans' reactions I've seen aren't very positive, at all.
On this occasion they might have been a bit premature. I still prefer it to the way we go about things

Reiver

What? They are a shambles, they had a bunch of new signings and were improving towards the end of the season. Shambolic.
They've been a shambles since the current guy took over. But I'd argue the way they generally go through managers works for them.

AndySmith1990

The fact is there are better options available. There's literally no reason to stick with him, unless Ineos do business based on blind faith and "what ifs" like a handful of people on here who think he should stay. However I'm fairly confident they don't

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
The fact is there are better options available. There's literally no reason to stick with him, unless Ineos do business based on blind faith and "what ifs" like a handful of people on here who think he should stay. However I'm fairly confident they don't
Or if they did an audit and landed on a more informed decision than us.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
What's hilarious is you missing all context of those comments. The poster said if we got a new manager and had a good transfer window, then it's possible. We finished 3rd last season, Villa went from relegation form to 4th under Emery. It's feasible, whether you care to admit it or not.
I'm not missing any context. I don't think it's impossible, but I don't base my expectations on pretty much all of the other contenders not showing up, which is precisely how Villa qualified this season, and was arguably a contributing factor to our 3rd place finish last season. You can't say that we overperformed by finishing third last season and also use it as evidence of our level, which is my point.

We're clearly way off City and Arsenal. That already makes the second place thing look daft. The third place thing, yeah, possible, but if even two of the others show up, we're more likely to be out of the top four completely. We're certainly more than one summer window away from actually establishing ourselves in the top three.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Well we know that channel is very much Erik inners so not surprised they interviewed someone who feels exactly the same way
That channels an inner, Neville is an inner, Mitten is an inner, these clueless bastards the lot of them

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Especially when it's right.
This is just arrogant and wrong.

If you listen to most people “defending” him they don’t care if he goes they don’t think this season has been successful and they often, like myself, don’t know exactly how much blame falls to Ten Hag.

Hence the confusing ambivalence of not caring whether he stays or goes.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ineos must act now, sack him and hire Pochettino.
This has got to be a joke? Pochettino? What makes you think he deserves to come here? Plus he probably left Chelsea due to not having much control anymore which is exactly what he won’t get here. So he’ll be in the same boat

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This is just arrogant and wrong.

If you listen to most people “defending” him they don’t care if he goes they don’t think this season has been successful and they often, like myself, don’t know exactly how much blame falls to Ten Hag.

Hence the confusing ambivalence of not caring whether he stays or goes.
Ye I’m in that boat of not caring. I’ll back whatever decision is made. If he leaves though I can just see him shining somewhere els. Every manager we’ve had since fergie had failed because they’ve been set up to. Managers always get the blame though.

croadyman

Very few noises suggesting he’s on his way out which aligns with my expectations of him either getting another year or already a new contract.

I think INEOS will have been impressed with us winning our final two games and putting a decent performance and getting a respectable result against Arsenal, and behind the scenes there will have been conversations where he will have explained how our lack of quality and injuries prevented him form delivering better results.

They will give him a realistic goal for next year (top 6) and will be patiently waiting for him to turn out good.
Urgh that would be a monumental mistake, FFS INEOS get some standards we finished in 8th place

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Ye I’m in that boat of not caring. I’ll back whatever decision is made. If he leaves though I can just see him shining somewhere els. Every manager we’ve had since fergie had failed because they’ve been set up to. Managers always get the blame though.
I know you say that’s how you feel but have you asked @Leftback99 how you actually feel? :wenger:

croadyman

If they havent decided yet it'd be more to do with Brailsford and co being weasels and not wanting to make any definitive decision without having Ashworth and Berrada there to bear the fallout of any consequences.
Yeah that would make them look proper weak

AndySmith1990

Right, because all managers have shone brightly since leaving United

croadyman

I’d say they will give him the first half of next season and move for McKenna depending on how they are both doing at that time. If McKenna has them hanging on and ETH is more of the same i think that’s the move that will be made
Would be absolutely gutted if we don't get the Pochettino leave by mutual consent line after Cup Final, however fear INEOS are still dithering over his future just 4 days from the game.

Keyser

None of the other names have tempted me, I've always felt Poch and Utd would be a good fit was gutted we didn't get him before

AndyMUFC

They've been a shambles since the current guy took over. But I'd argue the way they generally go through managers works for them.
I think it worked under Abramovich. Don't think it will under Boehly though, he seems like a bit of a madman.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Would be absolutely gutted if we don't get the Pochettino leave by mutual consent line after Cup Final, however fear INEOS are still dithering over his future just 4 days from the game.
At that point I'd really feel for him. Imagine getting sacked twice in less than one week!