Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 386 45.6%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 460 54.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

ObscureBaguette

One game and some of you have turned against the manager already!! I had projected rumblings by December but this is record territory.

I suspect those who have turned had expected ETH to get this team into the Top 4, minimum too?
The vast majority have not turned on the manager - it's just that the players and the club have no credit in the bank anymore.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I expected Ten Hag to at least compete for the top four (probably for fourth), and he may well do that, but my expectation was based on us improving our squad more than we have done so far.

CarbonStoolBites

One game and some of you have turned against the manager already!! I had projected rumblings by December but this is record territory.

I suspect those who have turned had expected ETH to get this team into the Top 4, minimum too?
I’m thinking they were expecting us to win the league after beating Liverpool 4-0 in pre season, so they want the next savior in after losing one game in the league.

CM

Starting to think Conte was the better choice

United job is too big for Ten Hag. Going after the likes of Arnautovic...clueless
Funnily enough Arnautovic is the exact type of player I could see Conte using

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The vast majority have not turned on the manager - it's just that the players and the club have no credit in the bank anymore.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I expected Ten Hag to at least compete for the top four (probably for fourth), and he may well do that, but my expectation was based on us improving our squad more than we have done so far.
How many players were you expecting to come in? And who?

steffyr2

Why do people keep saying "time"? Time for what? To coach McTominay and Rashford?

He needs players. And he needs to be flexible in his targets. We need a wholesale changes yet we've been linked to zero RBs or CDMs.

It's absurd. We cannot persist solely on De Jong and Antony and then have no alternatives to fall back on. His alternative after Sesko is Arnautovic, a former Twente player of his. This isn't sustainable. And it's laughable anyone who thinks it is.

At the same time, he must get out of this idea of "if we don't get the right player, we will do what we can with what we've got" - Fred, McTominay, Fernandes, Rashford et al are fundamentally flawed footballers. It will cost him his job.

The recruitment has been pathetic. Arnold and Murtough are a disgrace alongside the Glazers. We've come off of such an awful season and we've made no material difference to our XI. It's utterly laughable.

A GK to challenge De Gea, a RB, a CDM, a CM, a RW and a #9 to challenge Ronaldo. THAT is what we need.

Ten Hag isn't going to get that and he won't get a tune out of who we have at the club. He is going to falter, can see it from a mile off.
This is what I think. I can't tell if he's too stubborn and will deserve to fail (if he does) or if he's being hung out to dry by the Utd staff.

sglowrider

I would like to see him play Zidane as he's really the only player that can play that De Jong role. The Fred experiment will not work, we've seen it countless times.
I think Zidane has potential but I think he needs to strengthen his body to make him less easy to be knocked off the ball/press resistant and to be physically strong enough to last the season. Another 10-15lbs.
Like Mason when he first started playing in the 1st team and then 18 months later. Big diff.

bosskeano

I really like this manager and I think he's going to be fantastic once or if he can get the players that suit what he wants...

can't really give him a hard time about starting McFred when they are honestly the more experienced players in the prem. People would absolutely slate him if he started Garner and Zidane, young kids, in the opening of the league and we got pasted. Can't win with some fans.

RedDevilQuebecois

I really like this manager and I think he's going to be fantastic once or if he can get the players that suit what he wants...

can't really give him a hard time about starting McFred when they are honestly the more experienced players in the prem. People would absolutely slate him if he started Garner and Zidane, young kids, in the opening of the league and we got pasted. Can't win with some fans.
Fergie got blasted by many people, including a certain Scouser, when a bunch of kids at that time were pasted at Villa Park. The point remains that rebuilding a culture has to go through rewarding those who work hard first and foremost. If some of those hardest workers are kids, so what? They do whatever they have to do out there while the so-called more experienced guys can eat a pie now and think about what they must do to keep their place. Ten Hag's ruthlessness has to take root early.

Even so, what was the point of sending the kids out with virtually no time left to get into the game and make an impact?

zenith

I feel good stubbornness will cost him, at least in the short run. He'll realize that coaching will only work to an extent without the quality, as the PL will be a different level beast.

Fully expect us to finish 8th this season and this to be a season of realization, both for players and manager

sglowrider

Both LVG and ETH have lost their first/home match. Hopefully, ETH doesn't crawl into his shell like LVG did after Van Gaal lost to Leicester.

Red_toad

His first mistake and a big one was to give most of these players clean slate. He should have been more ruthless. Backing or not, you don't start Mctominay. Hopefully going forward he shows more trust to the likes of Garner.

One should not just act as if last season didn't happen.
Oh so the proven failure to provide him with his main target all summer and you somehow expect the owners to provide him with a new squad? Never seen a manager start at a club and remove all players who'd underperformed, maybe you're living in some kind of dream state where it happens.
It'll be a process of elimination and fans need to be patient, the guy is also dealing with our ownership issues.

sglowrider

I feel good stubbornness will cost him, at least in the short run. He'll realize that coaching will only work to an extent without the quality, as the PL will be a different level beast.

Fully expect us to finish 8th this season and this to be a season of realization, both for players and manager
There are always two sides to a coin.

When you are successful, people will claim that your determination (or being courageous/resolute/driven etc) was the key to your success.

If you are losing, you are just being stubborn.

Same coin.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Thing is, last season should have been that. We were appalling last season and these same players were the ones that disgraced the football club getting battered and toyed with by teams across the league. A big club reacts to that instead of siting on its backside making incremental changes (two of the three being a free transfer and a 15/17 million young FB).

I do wish RR's words were taken more seriously.

mav_9me

How many players were you expecting to come in? And who?
I was expecting 2 CM at least, like Ruiz or Tielemans. An attacker such as Antony or Sesko or an upcoming talent to replace the fact that we've lost Cavani and Greenwood.

bosskeano

Fergie got blasted by many people, including a certain Scouser, when a bunch of kids at that time were pasted at Villa Park. The point remains that rebuilding a culture has to go through rewarding those who work hard first and foremost. If some of those hardest workers are kids, so what? They do whatever they have to do out there while the so-called more experienced guys can eat a pie now and think about what they must do to keep their place. Ten Hag's ruthlessness has to take root early.

Even so, what was the point of sending the kids out with virtually no time left to get into the game and make an impact?
you can't compare the league during the fergie era and what ETH is dealing with now....it's night and day difference due to the financial impacts. United was the big bad wolf with the deep pockets and also got a class of kids to come thru that were abnormally good. You can't get away with it now.

sglowrider

I was expecting 2 CM at least, like Ruiz or Tielemans. An attacker such as Antony or Sesko or an upcoming talent to replace the fact that we've lost Cavani and Greenwood.
At least one attacker and one mid for me. For the rest, we see if we can develop the academy players.

Anyway, there are still 3 weeks left before we make any judgement.

ETH gets a free hit this season for me. Its all about setting the foundations in place and hopefully there are some indications of progress by the 2nd half of this season. Its only in his 3rd season I expect us to compete consistently. So in my books, there are still two windows left.

amolbhatia50k

I do wonder, in training do we not do intense 11 v 11 with high pressing? To me it seems that these players look good when they're allowed to. As was obvious from pre season. But ideally you should be able to replicate difficult situations in training.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
That’s the thing. FDJ alone is not enough, United need at least 2 more so that people like McTominay don’t get to play much. People have turned their noses up at Tielemens, but he’d be a much better squad option than McFred, and with his technical level you’d think ETH could bring him on a lot more. Pity is, I don’t think FDJ will come because the team are just not good enough at the moment. He’d likely be out of the Champions League for 2+ years, not just this one.

lex talionis

This humiliating defeat — Brighton were not that great — will hopefully open eyes within club management that we need to bring in two midfielders at the very least before September 1.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Glazer need to go before ETH but sadly it will never happen as long as Utd is profitable. If the team don't perform for the next few years and fans start boycotting games and merchandise. Sponsors will start leaving. Only then Glazers will be looking for buyers.

amolbhatia50k

I think he should make a lot of changes for the next game. Take a chance on some kids if you have to but we can't keep allowing the club to be dragged through the mud by the same players. Yes it'll be painful but for me we have to take some risks till the board provides adequate signings.

Garnacho for Rashford.
Zidane for Mctominay
Erikson in midfield
Anybody else at RB

Is the least I'd go for.

city-puma

It’s a signal for the whole team. In the first game of the season, also at home, these youngsters are big part of the plan.
The seniors did work hard today and worked for each other, but we were just well beaten in the first half by a better team.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
In the post match comments, EtH said that he was surprised by how Brighton played. Surprised that they did not build out from the back and instead resorted to direct play. This is why United's press failed.
I'm sorry but isn't it EtH's job to notice these things and make changes to tactics at half time? Is he going to be another uni-dimensional coach like RR or OGS?

amolbhatia50k

In the post match comments, EtH said that he was surprised by how Brighton played. Surprised that they did not build out from the back and instead resorted to direct play. This is why United's press failed.
I'm sorry but isn't it EtH's job to notice these things and make changes to tactics at half time? Is he going to be another uni-dimensional coach like RR or OGS?
True but maybe he tried to fix it but it didn't work on the pitch?

I couldn't understand why Brightons long ball footy was as brutally effective as it was. If the recipient of the long pass wasn't controlling it, 9 out of 10 times the second ball was won by a Brighton player which didn't make sense to me. Was it Bruno and the lack of a third man in midfield or our fullbacks lacking intensity?

Maybe someone can explain why this happened ?

city-puma

Where did you see he said it? It’s completely nonsense.

city-puma

This humiliating defeat — Brighton were not that great — will hopefully open eyes within club management that we need to bring in two midfielders at the very least before September 1.
Do you really watch football? This is the fourth season we played against them managed by Potter.

sglowrider

Glazer need to go before ETH but sadly it will never happen as long as Utd is profitable. If the team don't perform for the next few years and fans start boycotting games and merchandise. Sponsors will start leaving. Only then Glazers will be looking for buyers.
Wrong thread. Besides cutting off one's nose to spite one's face approach is just dumb -- you want to land up like Leeds or even Forrest?

Isle

I don't think anyone is calling for managers sacking or anything like that, it is just the frustration that he started with McFred, while for years we have known they are below per.

Ted Lasso

A five second google would tell you you’re dead wrong about Alvarez. He signed for City in January ffs. When Rangnick was the United manager. The shortlist Rangnick claimed was blocked was for the winter transfer window. You’re intent on blaming ETH for blocking those transfers when he was still the manager of Ajax. Which is mental. You’ve completely misremembered the sequence of events.
Yikes. I'm really sad for you, amigo. Hope you find something that brings you more joy than trailing other posters to try and find something to belittle.

Saddest of all you're wrong. The Jan striker shortlist is not the interview most folks are talking about. It's the one Rangnick gives referencing a new manager, well past the Jan window. If you include the Jan window you're looking at double the names suggested.

In any case, this is my last reply for you and certainly won't be reading any other nonsense of yours. My mistake to engage expecting more sound observation skills and reasoning ability. Take care of yourself eh, amigo.

reelworld

I actually think we have some good moments that clearly a result of his coaching. But it wasn't consistent enough as expected, and our mentality is fecking woeful after going down.
One red flag for me was the fact it seems he approves the pursuit of Arnautovic. Any other manager that's a sackable offense

Knightmare7

Ecstatic about this. Next few years will probably my shape up like this if everything goes according to plan;

Year 1: Utter confusion. Starting XI at the beginning of the season likely very different from final match day starting XI as ETH explores who works and fits and works to impose his system (likely a 4-2-1-3 before shifting to his preferred 4-3-3). You’ll see wonky losses and things won’t often look fluid. Inconsistency will be common but there will be a plan, and the players will not look like they just don’t care. ETH will play with different tactics as he adjusts to the EPL. In a low stakes season, ETH’s experimentation will be welcome although many will think he’s out of his depth for going out on a limb with little on the line.
Year 2: Things start to make sense. There’s an established identity and ETH has quite a few players he really likes. The team has a defined playing style and they begin to accumulate results. They’re not world-beaters, but respectable on any given day. The team could go on a run for EFL or FA Cup, and the focus is top 4 football. ETH has mostly adapted his routine and his tactics to the EPL and this confidence is shared by a team that improves weekly.
Year 3: ETH has his team. The plan is in place, formations are drilled, and years of roster building have given him his ideal XI. The team competes as it should and challenges for the league or Champions League. However, United at this point are likely a team built around a strong XI and a super sub or two. The team can play, but the question is how far they go with whatever depth they have. Tactics are not so much the issue as filling in the edges to compete with the super teams (Madrid, Barca, Bayern, Liverpool, City). ETH likely drops a player everyone loves while simultaneously making a stunning signing that makes everyone clap and say ‘Yup that’s why we picked ‘em!’
Year 4-Forever: ETH has his men, a filled out bench, and the ability to rotate properly. Everything is on the table and United are competing for every bit of silverware. They combine a mixture of strong veterans in ETH’s system with youth who have come up being prepped to fit in and now United are in the proper business of flipping older players for cash and investing in promising youth to create a cycle of success. These are golden days

OR

It all comes crashing down after a year or so and we all head down to the pub for a pint and watch Liverpool/City win yet another league title while we wonder whether it’s worth living on this good earth any longer
Just wanted to remind everyone again

Shiva87

You sacrifice the very first game of the season with your new team just to give 90 mins to the shite players instead of giving, say, 70 minutes?
The subs were ready to come on at 84-85 mins. The ball didn't go out for 5 mins or thereabouts and that's why it became 90.

Yes, he could have brought them on earlier but this wasn't one of those Ole subs at 92 mins for no reason. Sometimes game situations can override plans.

It was important he got some of those players off. He can at least tell them that they have to fight for their place. Ole would have not made those subs and our players would be feeling more secure in their positions regardless of performance. That's the malaise at the center of this team - overconfidence and lack of competition.

I'll be really keen to see how ETH changed things next week. If we get the same starting line up (sans false 9) - then we have a real problem.

Time for him to shake things up and be ruthless with underperforming players.

maximus419

I think that is the problem with Dutch managers in general, they are quite arrogant and look down at that typical English type of football, they see that as beneath them. That's why few of them have had success as managers in the PL.

The Dutch have always had an arrogance going back to the Cruyff era and their total football. It's become a part of the DNA in their football and most coaches in Holland only play one way. ETH and his coaches are not really suited to the style of the PL. He either adapts quickly or his arrogance will cost him his job.

frostbite

He should have noticed these things long before the game started. Managers today have teams of people who watch previous games of our opponents and make reports about how they play.

Water Melon

Exactly. He underestimated the opponent, whose manager is well known to be a good one. If he has been caught by surprise against Brighton, then much more homework needs to be done. There could be many more "surprises" down the season. So far Potter 1 - Ten Hag 0.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pronewbie

Peep
There were moments when the camera cut to him on the side line looking guilty and bemused. That, or a deer under bright light. Hope it is going to be a one-off as he was completely different during pre season.

sglowrider

Exactly. He underestimated the opponent, whose manager is well known to be a good one. If he was has been caught by surprise against Brighton, then much more homework needs to be done. There could be many more "surprises" down the season. So far Potter 1 - Ten hag 0.
I think it was a poor choice of words by ETH. He sounds naive there and doesn't help build confidence in him. It would plant a seed in Murtough's mind on why ETH didn't have a Plan B.

sglowrider

There were moments when the camera cut to him on the side line looking guilty and bemused. That, or a deer under bright light. Hope it is going to be a one-off as he was completely different during pre season.
He is on a learning curve in the 1st season.