Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Zumbi

Still can't get my head around his self sabotaging midfield set up that he finally discarded against Arsenal.

I keep saying it, because it continues to be astounding that he continued with it for so long, if he is sacked he did it to himself.

Bizarre spell at Utd if this is how it ends.
This is the crux of it for me, and in that regard, the injuries are not even an excuse - they make it all the more damning that he persisted with that set up all season long despite the injuries.

If injuries prevent you from playing your preferred defensive line up consistently then any manager worth his salt has to be able to recognise that and adjust his set up to provide them with greater protection. I have no doubt that the same number of injuries but a more pragmatic approach would have resulted in a far more successful league campaign, therefore providing a more stable and confident platform for the club to progress once players return.

Thinking you can only judge a manager properly when they have a fully available squad is a fantasy - injuries are a fundamental reality of the game and how you respond to such adversity provides valuable insight about a manager’s skillset.

As far as I can tell from this season, Ten Hag’s plan A is not particularly good, and he’ll only reluctantly go to a plan B after a historically poor season when he’s on the verge of being sacked. And that’s just not good enough.

Rista

As I said if INEOS sack him now and appoint a replacement who starts the new season badly they will be ridiculed. Also if it is McKenna he will have added pressure having never managed in a top flight.

I think they will now let Ten Hag start the season and if he builds on this it is great, if it starts bad again with him then they can pull the plug and bring their own man in.
Who do you bring in then though. If people think there isn't enough good candidates around right now, it will be way worse mid season. Realistically this one game of football should not change anything. If they thought he's not the man then it's time to move on.

Enigma_87

You know who
He does and so does Alonso to disprove that experience is some absolute quantity to judge the ability of a manger. Experienced managers have failed, inexperienced managers have succeeded. In the end, unless they are given the job we are just speculating.

I think McKenna is ready, or at least as ready as he will ever be.
two examples compared to 1000 failed at the same time doesn't really prove anything. Does Rooney, Neville, Giggs, Scholes prove that you don't need experience to succeed?

And no, McKenna managed a championship side that he promoted. Great job and all, but he hasn't managed a squad that is over their head with fame and money.

Matthew1972

Why are you so bitter that you are making such comments after today's amazing win?
Because I can count on one hand the number of league games that were a joy to watch this season. I am thrilled about the win but I hope I never see that bald head on a Manchester United sideline ever again.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Looks like the decency bias is wearing off and people are coming to their senses.
Not yet.

I've done a complete 180 and it's probably because I'm a little drunk and still riding today's high and will be for a few weeks.

There has been some excruciating lows and historic humiliations but it's been two years and two trophies, the whole point of being a successful club. There is nothing in football like the buzz of seeing your team lift a cup and before him it was a 6 year drought and 3 trophies in 9 years.

A game like today has shown that we are capable of disciplined performances, for the most part. It is City after all, they will inevitably force some chaos.

Let it roll for one more year t'feck.

Ace of Spades

Winning a cup is never shit. His league performance was rubbish this season, but he has still shown he can reach 3 finals in 2 seasons and won 2 cups. Neither do you because there is absolutely nothing but blind faith suggesting he could make the jump from Ipswich to managing one of the biggest clubs in the world. He was with United's first team one more year than Ten Hag has been here, he doesn't have any more unique insight to our challenges than Ten Hag does.
Winning the cup is not a great achievement either, and that is not enough. I don't but it is based on his ability and the performances he has shown, not blind faith. If that is blind faith, then it is the same blind faith that you have in ETH. He has been at the club longer, so he is not some clueless idiot picked off the street.

Zumbi

It’s been a tough season and some of the results have been painful so I get where you’re (ETH out) coming from, but I have to disagree, it’s all about winning trophies.

FA cup wins don’t fall out of the sky, we had luck against Coventry but we also had an unbelievable result against the scousers and we beat the best team of bastards in the country today.

ETH has made mistakes, we’ve had one of the worst injury plagues I can remember, a protracted takeover saga and some of the worst off field issues I can remember (that have gone public).

The man has won two finals out of three in two seasons, no doubt the recruitment has been hit and miss (by a mile) but I think we have a better team in place. Give the club some stability and the players time to grow into a team.

Anyway, I understand if they get rid but I think it would be a mistake.
He’s had money to spend and a few years to get to grips with the squad and yet I feel like we’re further away from City in the league than ever before. And I feel like we’re further away from CL success than ever before. That does not seem like progress.

Winning the FA cup is a wonderful end to the season, but will not blind me to how historically poor our league season has been. But worse than that - I think our historically poor league finish is actually better than our performances deserved, and so I cannot see how he is the right man to take us forward despite a couple cup wins.

Last edited:

Matthew1972

There are several compelling reasons why INEOS should keep Ten Hag for at least another year:
  • The Carabao Cup and FA Cup victories highlight his potential to lead the team to further success within INEOS's new structure.
  • Keeping Ten Hag would ensure continuity and stability in team building processes.
  • Today’s game showed he can adapt his tactics to opponents and compete at the highest level when the full squad is available.
  • His man-management skills have earned him respect from players.
  • The integration of several young players into the first team indicates his commitment to nurturing talent from within the academy, aligning perfectly with United's tradition of promoting youth.
  • Considering the lack of inspiring alternatives among potential replacements, keeping Ten Hag appears as the most prudent option for INEOS.
Terminating Ten Hag's contract at this juncture would not only be unwise but could also repeat the past mistakes of the Woodward's era.
You're not rewarding the guy who led the team to their worst league finish ever with another year. His ability to adapt his tactics during the season was pathetic. I'm pretty sure that most of the players don't want him back. I'd take Allegri or Tuchel, or even an up-and comer. ETH had his audition and he bombed.

Boycott

Who do you bring in then though. If people think there isn't enough good candidates around right now, it will be way worse mid season. Realistically this one game of football should not change anything. If they thought he's not the man then it's time to move on.
Maybe it'll be the same shortlist as of now. It doesn't sound like anyone else is in for Tuchel other than us and Pochettino/De Zerbi might wait it out.

If this was an FA Cup final vs West Ham or Brentford I think even a win would not be enough but it's Pep's City and this will buy him at least til October imo

sammyhol

It’s so annoying.

He is probably a good coach. Scratch that, he is clearly a good coach. The set up today was bang on. He’s won lots of trophies.

But this season wasn’t all down to injuries. It has mainly been down to incredibly stubborn tactics.

Had he just been more flexible in his set up, and played more compact when the crazy 4141 wasn’t working, we’d have probably breezed top four, and his position wouldn’t even be in question.

If he gets chopped, it’s a self inflicted wound. He’s got no-one to blame but himself.

Also… if by some miracle he does stay, don’t let him anywhere near the transfer kitty please!!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
As I said if INEOS sack him now and appoint a replacement who starts the new season badly they will be ridiculed. Also if it is McKenna he will have added pressure having never managed in a top flight.

I think they will now let Ten Hag start the season and if he builds on this it is great, if it starts bad again with him then they can pull the plug and bring their own man in.
I think this is the absolute worst way to look at it - they either think he's the best person for the job available or they don't. Copping out of making a decision at this point isn't really going to cut it, there'd be even fewer managers available if the league form continues and we sack mid-season, they wouldn't have a pre-season, would already be firefighting a bad situation and we'd be seeing yet another wasted year. Sacking him early in the new season would make them look like infinitely bigger mugs than replacing at the point you're supposed to replace managers.

Ace of Spades

two examples compared to 1000 failed at the same time doesn't really prove anything. Does Rooney, Neville, Giggs, Scholes prove that you don't need experience to succeed?

And no, McKenna managed a championship side that he promoted. Great job and all, but he hasn't managed a squad that is over their head with fame and money.
It is not just two examples. What about Moyes, LVG, Jose, ETH. The same way that experienced managers have failed does not mean all of them will always fail. Unless you are given a chance, then it is all speculation.

And again, with those examples it proves that it is irrelevant that he has not managed a squad with fame and money. All of the experienced managers failed despite their experience.

I think he is ready, you do not. Unless he is given a chance we won't know.

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
Incredible how awful this thread has been.
There are people who are genuinely annoyed we won the FA cup, and also genuinely annoyed that fans are happy about it.

Honestly, after this game and the way he managed it, unless we have somebody exceptional lined up for the job, I feel like he should be given a 3rd season with a great summer. Keeping in mind that if we don't get the summer right and keep him, it's probably going to get ugly by november. But there is no point in gambling on McKenna or De Zebri now. Poch is out of the question for me aswell.
I have high doubts about ETH ability to take us beyond cup and top 4, but players love him, fight for him and the atmosphere in the club is NOWHERE near as toxic as it was during Jose or Ole lowest moments.

Also people saying he's the worst manager we've ever had look really silly. You don't win 2 trophies in 2 years by being "worse than Moyes" etc.
We ended the season on a high, with dignity. Good wins against Newcastle and Brighton who proved to be tough opponents and great performance and cup win against 115 FC.

Even if he's sacked tomorrow, I don't see any reason to hate him or ruin the moment we've had today. Eric has done overall decent job and will go, leaving us with a lot of positives.
Again - thank you, Eric! If you go - farewell. If you stay - time to step up!

prateik

Take away all transfer related decisions from him and I would be happy for him to stay on..
My biggest issue with him has been some bizarre big money transfers that have either made no sense or failed miserably.

also, look into the medical team and the reason for all the injuries..

When the squad has been fit, we have shown promise..

Enigma_87

You know who
You're not rewarding the guy who led the team to their worst league finish ever with another year. His ability to adapt his tactics during the season was pathetic. I'm pretty sure that most of the players don't want him back. I'd take Allegri or Tuchel, or even an up-and comer. ETH had his audition and he bombed.
We did with Mourinho when he finished 6th and won EL

Heffo

I would lean towards moving on from ETH because apart from the FA Cup run, this was mostly a miserable season to be a United fan.

But for me, the key thing is the new football structure being put in place are given full authority to make the decision on the manager. They're much closer to the running of the club than all of us, so if after speaking to Ten Hag and observing how he runs things they decide that he is the right man to work with them to implement a club wide philosophy, then great.

But similarly, if they decide they can't work with him because of footballing philosophy or personality clashes, then they need to be able to pick their own man. Otherwise what's the point of hiring all these supposedly great footballing minds to bring us back to the top table.

Kaos

So its possible the Guardian were talking bollocks then? Steinberg's reputation in the mud if Ten Hag stays,

red.knight

We finished 13th in the league in the 1989/90 season under Sir Alex. You're welcome.

Relem

ETH has earned one more roll of the dice and another season I hope. It's been dire at times but this day was amazing. The guy who gave me this deserves some slack. Rome wasn't built in a day.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He hasn’t lost support of the dressing room. I would give him till November and see how it is progressing.

GazTheLegend

Lads, I hope Erik Ten Hag is here next season.. in as much as his signings have been shocking and this season has mostly been a disaster I don't think anything different has been seen really by anyone else who has managed us and I like Erik. I liked van Gaal too though.

I fully expect he will leave but what a memory. I think Ratcliffe has pulled the trigger already. But I'd like one more season for Ten Hag. If it goes wrong again then fair enough you have to say - three seasons, two of which shit would be completely understandable and justifiable. But he really has had a struggle on his hands this year.

Hopefully he gets one more shot. He's earned that much today. Onana and Martinez have actually been great signings really, so maybe a bit more of that sort of player will push us further.

Rista

So its possible the Guardian were talking bollocks then? Steinberg's reputation in the mud if Ten Hag stays,
I just don't see it with him publicly saying "if they don't want me I'll go somewhere else and win trophies like I usually do". Which is also funny because he's acting smug about it when he's had an abysmal season cup aside and the other day he was talking about how with new transfers and better luck with injuries we will "try" to aim for top 4 finish next season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
There is a poll in the ETH thread which is still open and users can change votes
It's old and things are moving quickly. The Bayern mouthpiece things Tuchel is joining United, and says it is what the Bayern hierarchy believe. That Jan Age cnut has been proven wrong with regards to ETH having been informed of his impending sacking prior to the Arsenal match, as he's unequivocally said he's never been told he's out. And it's a watershed moment today for many, even though many feel aggrieved by that.

I think it's quite timely.

stevoc

We’re nowhere near being anything near winning that trophy anytime soon. We got a shot with the Europa. Let’s be totally honest.
And we'll never get anywhere near winning it if we keep dicking about in the Europa every second year.

The money from CL football and the sponsors that Cl football attracts can be spent on better players.

Enigma_87

You know who
It is not just two examples. What about Moyes, LVG, Jose, ETH. The same way that experienced managers have failed does not mean all of them will always fail. Unless you are given a chance, then it is all speculation.

And again, with those examples it proves that it is irrelevant that he has not managed a squad with fame and money. All of the experienced managers failed despite their experience.

I think he is ready, you do not. Unless he is given a chance we won't know.
So let's give everyone a chance? How about Evans next? Or Paddy Evra, he's a nice guy? You'll find more experienced managers being successful at bigger clubs compared to more inexperienced ones being successful at top clubs

It was the 1st season.
So? Moyes was 7th and didn't even get to finish the season, on a 6 years contract.

It's EtH 2nd season at charge. We dealt with many many injuries. Where did Klopp finish 2 years ago when the season was marred with injuries?

Lego Pep couldn't break into top 4 for 3 years in a row...

stevoc

Didn't give shit about Qatar, but if INEOS sack Ten Hag after this, they are worse than Glazers. There, I said it. Not just as immoral as Glazers, but actually dumber.

Giving Erik one more year with better recruitement is the clear right move right now. If it doesn't work, next year he can be sacked but right now only idiots would do it
If Ineos think that's a possibility then they will sack him this summer.

They won't make this decision based on emotion, they aren't attached to Ten Hag the way some United fans seem to be.

ArmaDino

We sacked Ron Atkinson a year after winning the FA Cup was that a mistake?
We didn't?

He was sacked in October the following season for having a very poor start. And even then you had names like Sir Alex being available. Who do we hire right now that is of similar caliber?

Poch? De Zerbi? McKenna? Frank? :lol: :lol:

ArmaDino

If Ineos think that's a possibility then they will sack him this summer.

They won't make this decision based on emotion, they aren't attached to Ten Hag the way some United fans seem to be.
Clearly you haven't followed their work at Nice then

OverratedOpinion

Ten Hag's detractors are melting down after his FA Cup win. Their discontent has reached a boiling point as they realize INEOS might give him another year.
I actually think the cast majority of posts I've seen from those of us on here who want him out have been extremely measured today.

There is frustration at Ten Hag but I think most of us still feel he is a very decent man who gave it his best shot.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
We didn't?

He was sacked in October the following season for having a very poor start. And even then you had names like Sir Alex being available. Who do we hire right now that is of similar caliber?

Poch? De Zerbi? McKenna? Frank? :lol: :lol:
It’s funny how people who want ETH gone cant accept that at the moment, managers who are available are not that impressive. ETH had more stock than most who are available 2 years back. United has chewed up Jose and LVG, so its not like ETH is the first manager who has issues despite being successful elsewhere.