Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 595 55.0%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 486 45.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Blood Mage

Yeah sure needs to go full on Jose alienate the owners and the players. It’ll go great for him nothing to lose aside from his job and reputation, won’t ever get a big club again!
Better than letting himself get dragged through the mud and humiliated like Ole and Rangnick though.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Anything and everything associated with United has sunk into profound negativity. It’s madness. This thread is an example. We are NOT going to be transformed after 1 window and 1 game into a new season.
There's a massive difference between transforming, moving forward, standing still or going backwards. The summer has been a mitigating disaster up until now. McFred starting is just one example. We've been short in CM for years now. We've gotten rid of Pogba and Matic and have only (so far?) brought in Eriksen. Our RB options are terrible so we sign a LB. Granted we needed a CB nd signed Martinez but Maguire is still looking like the first name on the team sheet.

Last season we lost a forward with cnut face. We still don't know if Ronaldo will be staying or going. That leaves us with a bang out of form Rashford, Sancho who is still trying to find form and Martial who can never be relied upon.

Tell me where this optimism is going to come from that we're even going to be close to a top 4 spot? And you say the negativity is madness? Isn't it understandable?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
John Murtough can go and feck himself. If the fecker was competent, we wouldn't have to rely on ten Hag listing our targets for the summer.
Reading this it looks like it’s an outside feeling rather than someone in the club.

I think it makes sense for the first window to get the players he wants to play the way he wants and then subsequent windows EtH takes less of a hands on approach

mikeyt

Here we go Murtough throwing ETH under the bus already. Probably means we're not getting anyone else this window.

He clear doesn't get that he's the man in charge of transfers whether he delegates to ETH or not. Hope he's gone on September 2nd.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
what exactly is the concern? you mean him picking out the players he actually wants to manage?
when he’s picking a player that has made it clear they don’t want to join us and that he had zero interest coming here then yes it is a problem.

when he’s spending 57 million on a payer in a position we don’t need while ignoring other positions I’d say that’s a problem too.

Over 2 months wasted on absolute nothing. Now we’re scrambling to get any old dosser through the door like rabiot.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I thought club realized they needed a top talent hunter and squad rebuild expert when they hired RR. ETH needs someone like that, every top manager needs good top management to succeed. I hope for his and ours sake we go after Overmars and move the responsibilities from Murtough.
Absolutely, maybe not Overmars for me personally. We do indeed need a DoF that actually knows how to do the job and is able to tell the manager "no, that player does not fit our strategy" though. Ten Hag shouldn't be expected to be anything other than a coach and a manager.

The fact that we were actively looking at him to be our manager for months and it seems like nothing was done to identify players that fit his strategy is shocking. And during the preseason, when ETH has to focus on training his new players, he's expected to tell our DoF who to buy? This summer has shown the total lack of preparation from the club.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Here we go Murtough throwing ETH under the bus already. Probably means we're not getting anyone else this window.

He clear doesn't get that he's the man in charge of transfers whether he delegates to ETH or not. Hope he's gone on September 2nd.
Reading this it looks like it’s an outside feeling rather than someone in the club.

I think it makes sense for the first window to get the players he wants to play the way he wants and then subsequent windows EtH takes less of a hands on approach

bosskeano

when he’s picking a player that has made it clear they don’t want to join us and that he had zero interest coming here then yes it is a problem.

when he’s spending 57 million on a payer in a position we don’t need while ignoring other positions I’d say that’s a problem too.

Over 2 months wasted on absolute nothing. Now we’re scrambling to get any old dosser through the door like rabiot.
we still don't know what the real story is behind Frenkie just simply due to the monies owed to him so he can't speak nor can his agent....

It's not his task to negotiate a fee for Martinez, that is Murtaugh and his crew not too mention our CB's are crap so i think he might actually be an upgrade. I get your point and probably agree about money spent for a CB when we should have brought in a CM and Attacker first before going after Martinez.

THe recruitment team should be handling multiple deals and working on multiple deals, that's what they get paid to do. I mean we should be able to do that as a professional club?

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
THe recruitment team should be handling multiple deals and working on multiple deals, that's what they get paid to do. I mean we should be able to do that as a professional club?
We haven't managed it since Woodward took charge so why should we expect a change now?

Marwood

We haven't managed it since Woodward took charge so why should we expect a change now?
The Cavani window. Didn't we sign about 5 players in one day?

They've bought loads. They've sold loads.

Quantity of deals isn't the problem.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
There is an article in Athletic on how the false 9 experiment failed . Basically two things.

Full backs weren't good enough to identify the run of our forwards.
Our midfield McFred wasn't good enough to utilize the space vacated by our front line .

Any surprises?
I can understand the McTom criticism on that point, but why would Fred, the deepest mid be utilising, and I'm assuming they mean running into that space rather than playing balls there, be expected to make runs there!?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Absolutely, maybe not Overmars for me personally. We do indeed need a DoF that actually knows how to do the job and is able to tell the manager "no, that player does not fit our strategy" though. Ten Hag shouldn't be expected to be anything other than a coach and a manager.

The fact that we were actively looking at him to be our manager for months and it seems like nothing was done to identify players that fit his strategy is shocking. And during the preseason, when ETH has to focus on training his new players, he's expected to tell our DoF who to buy? This summer has shown the total lack of preparation from the club.
100%. Baffles me what Murtough actually does.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
The Cavani window. Didn't we sign about 5 players in one day?

They've bought loads. They've sold loads.

Quantity of deals isn't the problem.
We signed Cavani and Telles on the last day of the transfer window iirc which basically reaks of desperation and Van de Beek was signed about a week before the 2020 season begun so I really do think our transfer methods are a big problem.
The other 2 aren't close to first teamers so I'm not counting them.

Marwood

We signed Cavani and Telles on the last day of the transfer window iirc which basically reaks of desperation and Van de Beek was signed about a week before the 2020 season begun so I really do think our transfer methods are a big problem.
The other 2 aren't close to first teamers so I'm not counting them.
Completely agree it was about desperation but nonetheless it happened. It's incorrect to say we can't carry out numerous deals at the same time. This club has no problem buying and selling lots of players.

We just can't buy the right one's.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Completely agree it was about desperation but nonetheless it happened. It's incorrect to say we can't carry out numerous deals at the same time. This club has no problem buying and selling lots of players.

We just can't buy the right one's.
Even last year I think we signed Ronaldo after the season started, Varane a week before and Sancho 2 or 3 weeks before when most clubs are already taking their new signings on pre-season which suggests our transfer dealings are like pulling teeth. If we don't get FDJ then it's going to be an absolute embarrassment after spending 3 months on one transfer that didn't materialise. I understand that transfers can be complicated businesses but most (properly run) clubs get their business out of the way pretty sharpish. Haaland was the most sought after player in world football so he could of went to any club he wanted but that didn't stop City getting the deal done without any undue stress while we're still scrabbling about on the scrap heap looking to bolster the squad.

Marcus

I hope he can spin straw to gold. With the current transfer window pickings, ETH is going to need to be a miracle worker. I hope this methods and training are as superior as we need them to be.

pascell

Citing that theres a concern means somebody has been talking to the press about their uncertainty over the situation.

Marcus

Even last year I think we signed Ronaldo after the season started, Varane a week before and Sancho 2 or 3 weeks before when most clubs are already taking their new signings on pre-season which suggests our transfer dealings are like pulling teeth. If we don't get FDJ then it's going to be an absolute embarrassment after spending 3 months on one transfer that didn't materialise. I understand that transfers can be complicated businesses but most (properly run) clubs get their business out of the way pretty sharpish. Haaland was the most sought after player in world football so he could of went to any club he wanted but that didn't stop City getting the deal done without any undue stress while we're still scrabbling about on the scrap heap looking to bolster the squad.
Haaland had a buy-out clause. So it's not surprised that at the club level there were no issues. Of course, then at the personal level seeing as City are Champions, in the CL, having unlimited funds for salary, not forgetting his family association with the club, Haaland is definitely not a good example to cite. I think maybe VVD is a better example of difficulties clubs face in signing good players.

Paul778

it's so sad.

we should have focused on 5-6 up and coming 23 yr old player with hunger and potential to improve our first team in multiple areas, with good sell on value if they don't work out

no galacticos. get them bedded into the team and keep egos controlled in the dressing room. Then go again in a year.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

That only makes sense if you're holding your hands up and saying "Erik, you've come into a shitshow here. Do you know any players who we could get?"

Yagami

Good post resistant
There is an article in Athletic on how the false 9 experiment failed . Basically two things.

Full backs weren't good enough to identify the run of our forwards.
Our midfield McFred wasn't good enough to utilize the space vacated by our front line .

Any surprises?
Biggest problem is our front players are weak.

You pass it between the lines to a Bruno, Eriksen, Rashford, Sancho under pressure with a defender on them and they can’t keep the ball. None of them can dribble either, which is a huge weakness of the team in general.

You want your false 9, after coming deep to get the ball, keep it under pressure and turn to play everyone else in. It can work with Martial who’s strong enough, but Eriksen is too weak and lacks the agility to turn in tight spaces.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
If Ten Hag quit, the Glazers would be forced to sell imo. It’d be the straw that breaks the camel’s back with supporters.

It’d be the best thing he could do for Utd fans… and possibly for his own career too, cuz, let’s be honest, he isn’t gonna achieve anything here with these owners.

TheReligion

Abusive
If Ten Hag quit, the Glazers would be forced to sell imo. It’d be the straw that breaks the camel’s back with supporters.

It’d be the best thing he could do for Utd fans… and possibly for his own career too, cuz, let’s be honest, he isn’t gonna achieve anything here with these owners.
You’re suggesting Ten Hag should quit one week in to the new season?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
You’re suggesting Ten Hag should quit one week in to the new season?
If he did no one in the football world would put it on him.

Everyone knows Utd are run by clowns.

And he’d be saving himself the inevitable failure of working with them.

He won’t last more than a season and a half anyway under this current structure.

TheReligion

Abusive
If he did no one in the football world would put it on him.

Everyone knows Utd are run by clowns.

And he’d be saving himself the inevitable failure of working with them.

He won’t last more than a season and a half anyway under this current structure.
I thought you were actually joking.