Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

How many of you would be prepared to give ETH 1 more full season to prove himself?

• Yes

Votes: 376 26.5%
  • No

Votes: 1,043 73.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gavinb33

If he did no one in the football world would put it on him.

Everyone knows Utd are run by clowns.

And he’d be saving himself the inevitable failure of working with them.

He won’t last more than a season and a half anyway under this current structure.
Of course they would the owners are the same ones he took the job from, it hasn't suddenly changed and now he knows who they are.

Anyone who has watched us from afar knows the state of the club and the lack of ambition from the top.

If he resigned now he'd look like an idiot

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Of course they would the owners are the same ones he took the job from, it hasn't suddenly changed and now he knows who they are.

Anyone who has watched us from afar knows the state of the club and the lack of ambition from the top.

If he resigned now he'd look like an idiot
Disagree.

Also it appears very much that when he took the job he had no idea the people above him were this useless.

As I said, he won’t last a year and a half under the current structure, and it’ll damage his career.

BerryBerryShrew

Biggest problem is our front players are weak.

You pass it between the lines to a Bruno, Eriksen, Rashford, Sancho under pressure with a defender on them and they can’t keep the ball. None of them can dribble either, which is a huge weakness of the team in general.

You want your false 9, after coming deep to get the ball, keep it under pressure and turn to play everyone else in. It can work with Martial who’s strong enough, but Eriksen is too weak and lacks the agility to turn in tight spaces.
Not really sure about the bolded. Also, Eriksen is press resistant, a hell of a lot more so than Rashy and Bruno anyway.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Last question by Simon Stone: Are you comfortable that you'll have a better squad, a more rounded squad by the end of the window?
ETH: We have to. I'm confident we will.

RedOrange

Disagree.

Also it appears very much that when he took the job he had no idea the people above him were this useless.

As I said, he won’t last a year and a half under the current structure, and it’ll damage his career.
Everyone will still know what he did at Ajax if he fails here, he won't have a difficult time finding another job if he makes it 12 to 18 months at United. He might have trouble getting a job at a top club but I'd imagine there are mid table clubs in the Premier League that would sign him immediately.

Quitting the team a week into the season would kill his career immediately. No other club will hire someone who quit that early, and for another he has already convinced players to come here and would be abandoning them, which would make recruitment at any future clubs rather difficult. Also he probably couldn't afford to as I'm betting he has a buyout clause in his contract for more money than he makes in a year, let alone 6 weeks.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Last question by Simon Stone: Are you comfortable that you'll have a better squad, a more rounded squad by the end of the window?
Sounds like he's pushing for players and knows the ultimate cost if it won't be delivered.

With Pool game next week, this window could culminate a lot of bad emotions from fans towards the board and it's not even 1st September.

Idxomer

He basically admitted he thinks the squad now is mediocre at best, it's incredible they've let him start the season like that.

Red Link

If Ten Hag quit, the Glazers would be forced to sell imo. It’d be the straw that breaks the camel’s back with supporters.

It’d be the best thing he could do for Utd fans… and possibly for his own career too, cuz, let’s be honest, he isn’t gonna achieve anything here with these owners.
Sorry but Ten Hag quitting is not gonna force the Glazers hand in this. As sad as this may sound, the Glazers aren't going anywhere anytime soon. While United continue to be profitable, they're no reason why they'd sell.

Think of it from their perspective. They bought the club using ZERO funds from their own back pocket, have put in ZERO investments of their own into the club but receive annual dividends from the club. From a business perspective, it's genius what they've managed to do (at the expense of the club). I don't see any reason why they'd sell those things considered.

Unless there's significant damage made to United as a brand, they'll continue to remain profitable and the Glazers will remain in seat.

It's an unfortunate reality for us as fans. The only way I see them selling is if fans stopped attending games and purchasing anything related to United as an entity. This will inevitably damage the club's brand but would force the Glazers hands into selling. Short term pain for a better future in the long term.

saivet

Tweet added so those don't miss it

Chairman Steve

This seems like a man who knows what needs doing. Remember him being stone faced and warning MUTV that a lot of work needed to be done despite beating Liverpool 4-0?

bosskeano

Tweet added so those don't miss it
he's basically admitting that there are too big of gaps in the current squad for them to push for any sort of success this season....i don't doubt they will bring in one or two more players, the caliber of that player is what scares me the most simply due to how late in the window it is

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
He basically admitted he thinks the squad now is mediocre at best, it's incredible they've let him start the season like that.
He "basically admitted" nothing of the sort. The transfer period isn't over until September 1st and surely it can't come as a surprise to anyone that some deals happen late, when the season has started, even if the club would have liked them to happen earlier. They always do. That's why the word "admit" is already wrong, he's not admitting anything, he's just stating the obvious.

People need to take a step back, breathe, and reflect on how their pent up negativity is affecting their ability to process reality.

FCUUU

Supports
FC Utrecht
First post. Dutchie here. Been reading for a while, decided to register today.

ETH trained Utrecht, the club I support. Took him a while to get going, but he did well when Ajax bought him half way through a season. Same story: took him some time, the Ajax-crowd seemed not to rate him at all, players rebelled a little. Loads of problems, and then things started to click and they played some decent football. So, please give him a little time... Even though I obviously dislike Ajax, I do like Ten Hag.

That said: he bought a couple of Utrecht-players immediately as Ajax-coach, that have failed to become first team players. I could name a ton of reasons for that, but let's just say his tranfsfers should be curated by someone at the club. Imo: Ajax-transfers should be brought in to be able to win the Eredivisie, Man Utd transfers should be brought in if they can help you win the CL and PL. The transfers that brought him the title in the Netherlands were deals by Overmars.

One last thing: the campaign that cemented his reputation was the CL semifinal a couple of years back. I think that achievement is highly overrated. Some nice football against opponents that were in transition and nowhere near their best is a commendable feat in itself, make no mistake. But just consider the line-up of the Spurs (!) team they completely and utterly fell apart against. Lucas Moura and Llorente lead the line that day... I've always thought that was an embarrassment, but the fact it was a semi-final made it into a true hype.

JuriM

Was anyone?
Well we here have analyzed it to the depth of it, how those two together rarely work and how the results and build-up play suffer - for a reason all the managers still persist to try to make them two work still. So to get a change, we need to see the change.

crossy1686

career ending
Well we here have analyzed it to the depth of it, how those two together rarely work and how the results and build-up play suffer - for a reason all the managers still persist to try to make them two work still. So to get a change, we need to see the change.
I can only presume someone at the club told him they were the best option in the midfield so he went with it. You would have thought that he's seen enough of them to not play them both together but maybe he thought it could work? I don't know anymore, I just hope there's an end to this at some point

NLunited

He simply used them because there aren‘t any better options. The youngsters aren‘t ready.

After the first half against Brighton, I think we might see Eriksen dropped in alongside one of them.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Think of it from their perspective. They bought the club using ZERO funds from their own back pocket, have put in ZERO investments of their own into the club but receive annual dividends from the club. From a business perspective, it's genius what they've managed to do (at the expense of the club). I don't see any reason why they'd sell those things considered.

Unless there's significant damage made to United as a brand, they'll continue to remain profitable and the Glazers will remain in seat.
They didn’t buy Utd - their Dad did, via a method that wouldn’t be legal now in the PL.

The current owners had nothing to do with the purchase of Utd - they literally inherited it.

So no, it isn’t ‘genius’. They’re just rich offspring, nothing more.

And they’re useless at running a football club.

Last edited:

Irwin99

On a positive note I like what he said in the presser about improving set pieces which I remember noticing during the match but completely forgot about afterwards.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He "basically admitted" nothing of the sort. The transfer period isn't over until September 1st and surely it can't come as a surprise to anyone that some deals happen late, when the season has started, even if the club would have liked them to happen earlier. They always do. That's why the word "admit" is already wrong, he's not admitting anything, he's just stating the obvious.

People need to take a step back, breathe, and reflect on how their pent up negativity is affecting their ability to process reality.
How does "we have to" equate to any of that waffle? Come back when your own club is in free fall before trying to act condescending to supporters of other club.

Moston Red

Formerly Giggs1973
If Ten Hag quit, the Glazers would be forced to sell imo. It’d be the straw that breaks the camel’s back with supporters.

It’d be the best thing he could do for Utd fans… and possibly for his own career too, cuz, let’s be honest, he isn’t gonna achieve anything here with these owners.
Best thing for his career to quit after a month or whatever it is?

RopersReturn

Have to say I’m impressed with what I’ve seen of ETH so far. Not only is he a talented and intelligent manager, but also comes across a thoroughly decent bloke. He certainly has his work cut out, not only with a difficult and complex set of of players but also the owners too. Good luck to him.

Reactions: Cheimoon