Erik ten Hag - Manchester United manager

Would you allow ETH to manage the cup final before parting ways?

• Yes

Votes: 304 41.1%
  • No, get an interim now

Votes: 436 58.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Joseunited

Maguire is shit though and not deserving of the honour and privilege of being Man United captain.

joedirt87

Oh good the players are already running their mouth to the media. Start swinging the axe Erik. Will this be his Moyes chips moment.

justsomebloke

Can't read it since it's behind a paywall but I assume these "experts" have said it isn't the right call for the players' recovery? Because that's about as obvious as it gets and Ten Hang obviously knows this. This isn't about that. It's about not tolerating half arsed performances and punishing the players accordingly.
There's actually nothing about reactions from experts in the article. It's just in Crafton's tweet.

saik

Ten Hag basically selected that FM option of " We are all going to train tomorrow. You don't deserve a rest after that performance". Hope he also threw a water bottle at them for good measure. :lol::lol:

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Lazy fecking players. Absolutely hate them. The Brentford players did that during the match, so feck these lot.

DomM

these are professional players, they should be able to run 13km easily. I'm 50 and went running last night for 9km, it was hot but I wasn't in ruins.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

I like Crafton. And I like the Athletic.

But I'm not entirely sure that Ten Hag's decision merits this kind of response/scrutiny.
Feck sport scientists. Football is more of a mental game than anything. The proof is in the pudding. Our players just don't have the mentality even though they play against players worse than them. Speaking of which where is our data scientist guy? any improvements he's made since joining?

mctrials23

13km isn't that far for these guys. They won't have been sprinting it either. As has been said, this is a punishment, not a masterclass in recovery or fitness acquisition.

Skills

Snitch
Feck scientists. Football is more of a mental game than anything. The proof is in the pudding. Our players just don't have the mentality even though they play against players worse than them. Speaking of which where is our data scientist guy? any improvements he's made since joining?
:lol: football's really left many of you behind.

HookedOnAPhelan

Worrying signs tbh. We needed a big clearout this summer to reset the dressing room. That hasn't happened, and here we are. All the shite from last season still present. It doesn't seem like Ten Hag has managed to change the culture and mentality of the squad (which, tbf, is extremely difficult to do, which is why we needed a reset).

I fear our season could derail completely in the coming weeks.

Jazz

I'm telling you, Erik is far better off dropping the players complaining and using the few first teamers who are professional and at least want to try, plus some of the fringe/youth players. Honestly, this is the better option because those feckers are living in a fantasy world where you get paid loads to do feck all work!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
:lol: football's really left many of you behind.
It's good that Ten Hag has some balls. It's better than ETH telling them "it's okay, boo hoo, it's okay, you are good players dont worry about the shit results. Take some rest, human needs rest and water. Drink a lot of water".

Fooza

FFS, couldn't care less about the leaks of what the players want, just get rid of them. I'm so sick of it. It just feels like literally nothing has changed since last year

MalBot

Supports
Arsenal
We will be in the bottom half of the table by the end of that stretch of games. But start to pick up more points after the World Cup.

Arsenal was at the bottom of the league in Sept/October and yet come above us at the end.
Tbf we only lost the first 3 games which were all played in August. Won the next 3, which is a very quick turnaround. If you lose too many points in those 12 games stretch mentioned then it will be extremely difficult to have any kind of a good season. So basically if after the Liverpool game you don't start to pick up decent points then I would probably write off this season.

Last edited:

hobbers

:lol: The punishment for being destroyed and humiliated by Brentford was too punishing for 2022 footballers.

All need to grow a fecking spine.

Jazz

Where is Richard Arnold's email address?

We might need to start flooding him with emails and tell the bastard to pull his finger out an help the manager here. Those players are out of order. Really hate them, and it takes a lot for me to hate.

They are going to bring us down to the championship and have no regrets about it. Need the directors to lay down the law. Fecking horrible.

1DeGea1

[]1559125623553069060[/]

But I'm not entirely sure that Ten Hag's decision merits this kind of response/scrutiny.
13km isn’t that much, and I doubt they were doing it at anything resembling a sprint.

I did 10km yesterday, just to get out of the house, and I’m an unfit mess. These lads will have handled the fitness aspect of it just fine. It’s about a symbolic punishment that reinforces a sense of culpability for their performance in their place of work, which was extremely below par.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

Well the entire fan base is actually stunned that nobody thought of this idea sooner.

Betson

Can't read it since it's behind a paywall but I assume these "experts" have said it isn't the right call for the players' recovery? Because that's about as obvious as it gets and Ten Hang obviously knows this. This isn't about that. It's about not tolerating half arsed performances and punishing the players accordingly.
Is the punishment worth it if it negatively effects performance V Liverpool?

TrueRed79

Selling Garner his first big mistake
How so? I'm sure he'd prefer to sell Mctominay but who is going to buy him? He will get a decent fee for Garner and sign someone that is already better than both those players. As long as they include a buy back, then selling him makes the most sense at this time unfortunately.

DutchCruijff

13K is really nothing. It's just over 10K. The heat isn't ideal but it's really not that strenuous for an athlete.

If he has any sense, the training will be lighter this week.

A message needed to be sent regardless of "sports science".

Jazz

Is the punishment worth it if it negatively effects performance V Liverpool?
Yes because they simply don't have a good attitude and will still take it into the Liverpool match. May as well make them suffer as they don't seem like the have any fecking pride and just want to go through their mediocre motions.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Tbf we only lost the first 3 games which were all played in August. Won the next 3, which is a very quick turnaround. If you lose too many points in those 12 games stretch mentioned then it will be extremely difficult to have any kind of a good season. So basically if after the Liverpool game you don't start to pick up decent points then I would probably write of this season.
I have us (United) coming in at 6th this season. Thats may be optimistic based on the way we are playing at the moment. Hopefully, we have the key components come in within the few weeks that are left of the window.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Worrying signs tbh. We needed a big clearout this summer to reset the dressing room. That hasn't happened, and here we are. All the shite from last season still present. It doesn't seem like Ten Hag has managed to change the culture and mentality of the squad (which, tbf, is extremely difficult to do, which is why we needed a reset).

I fear our season could derail completely in the coming weeks.
If we were expecting a top four challenge this season then I would say it's pretty clear our season is already heading straight off the rails. Given how bad things are, it's hard to see how 6th place isn't the limit of our league ambition.

In which case, just embrace that it's gonna happen. League finish doesn't matter, hope we do something in the cups and lets see what actual changes happen in terms of style of play, players being sold, players being dropped, etc.

I'm specifically thinking of Arsenal under Arteta. 8th place finishes, high profile senior players being discarded, captaincy changes, goalkeepers being dropped, bust-ups behind the scenes, bad losses, new players getting opportunities, etc. And whether they finish top four or not this season, they've come out of it a better team. Give me all that chaos but faster and harder.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
13K is really nothing. It's just over 10K. The heat isn't ideal but it's really not that strenuous for an athlete.

If he has any sense, the training will be lighter this week.

A message needed to be sent regardless of "sports science".
Its difficult if you have to run at speed and not at long distance/marathon pace.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
Why don't we just forget about having a captain? None of them deserve it anyway. Whoever does well in training and shows a modicum of professionalism can be the captain for the next match. Feck it.

Need the CEO to take charge and lay down the law. These players just want to hang around in mediocrity. No doubt they want DDG to be captain. The guy who can't stop throwing goals into his own net :rolleyes:

Depressing stuff.
A football captain seems to do little on the pitch other than shout heads or tails. They don't make key decisions like rugby or cricket captains. Some football clubs even have a team captain and a club captain. It's not as an important position as made out.

I doubt Erik didn't just rock up in a bad mood on Sunday and decided to send them on the run. He'd have undoubtedly spoken with his fitness/sports science team before doing it.